Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

STAN, IT IS TIME TO START MCCURDY

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, February 22, 2006, 12:17:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Steele made 7 out of 8 three point shots.  Only 2 were when McCurdy was on him.  One of them he was in his face and actually altered the shot.  Nobody was stopping Steele.  Yet Sean did the best job against him.

More importantly, he moved his feet on defense and kept Steele from driving for LAY UPS like he did all night against DJ and Ferguson.

The energy went up when he came in.  He had 5 assists on that last run they made.  He was the only one making the passes inside to Townes and Thomas.  He is the only PG that plays under control, that seems to have a plan on offense. 

He can get our big men the ball so they can score or pass it back out to Pookie or Ronnie.  We cannot win relying on outside shots only.

I am sick and tired of the "he can't play D" he has a "deer in headlights look".  There is NO EVIDENCE of this.  He is THE BEST PG WE HAVE and gives us the best chance from here on out.

He can run this offense.  Bring Ferguson in for a change of pace. 

THE TIME IS NOW.

:razorback:
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Godfather

Hallelujah.  Preach on brother.  Amen.

+1
WPS to the end.

Richard_white

It's time to get on the MCCurdy Bus.

+1 for notshavin

0 TURNOVERS
5 ASSISTS

By the way..

GO HOGS
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

chiefsfan

While I agree its time to give McCurdy some starting time, I am a firm believer in not changing things after a win.  So starting Ferguson again would do me just fine. 
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

pbjones81

He did impress me tonight on his ability to get the ball inside.  He has quick feet, and nice passes.  Im gaining more confidence in him with every game....But I think Ferguson is still an important player in clutch situations as he proved tonight with his late-game three point shot.. 

brodie_hawg

ferg should start and contribute significant minutes for a couple of reasons.  one, he almost always plays all out and hustles his butt off...which sometimes leads to some costly mistakes.  second, he is a senior and has shown these past several games that he does not want to go down as being to only class not to make the tournament in a 4 year period...which is leading to his all out hustle.

Quote from: brodie_hawg on February 22, 2006, 12:48:31 am
ferg should start and contribute significant minutes for a couple of reasons.  one, he almost always plays all out and hustles his butt off...which sometimes leads to some costly mistakes.  second, he is a senior and has shown these past several games that he does not want to go down as being to only class not to make the tournament in a 4 year period...which is leading to his all out hustle.

And bouncing the ball off of his foot, jacking up bricks after crossing the half-court line and not passing the ball once, telegraphing passes and seemingly having no clue what play is being run?

Heart and hustle only go so far...

Lando Calrissian

A rotation of Brewer/Ferguson/McCurdy seems to be doing fine right now.

In the end, it isn't about who starts but who finishes.

McCurdy can (and will) definetely contribute during the course of a game, but when it comes down to crunch time he just doesn't have the experience to be relied on, yet. 

Maybe next year.

I really don't understand what starting him will accomplish.

Play him?  By all means YES.

Start him?  Lets not get overzealous here.

Ferguson will do things that make me CRINGE sometimes, but I'm sorry to say it, come crunch time he's the best we have to offer at that spot.

Even I will admit that 3 he (Ferguson) hit with 50 secs or so left was freakin' massive.  It's one of the biggest shots made for the Razorback basketball team in years. 

I'm not saying McCurdy won't be able to do it.  I *am* saying that he's just not quite ready for that.  2 months a go we had no clue. 

I think we've seen enough of McCurdy now to know that he can contribute and that giving him minutes is a good thing overall.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on February 22, 2006, 01:11:50 am
A rotation of Brewer/Ferguson/McCurdy seems to be doing fine right now.

In the end, it isn't about who starts but who finishes.

McCurdy can (and will) definetely contribute during the course of a game, but when it comes down to crunch time he just doesn't have the experience to be relied on, yet. 

Maybe next year.

I really don't understand what starting him will accomplish.

Play him?  By all means YES.

Start him?  Lets not get overzealous here.

Ferguson will do things that make me CRINGE sometimes, but I'm sorry to say it, come crunch time he's the best we have to offer at that spot.

Even I will admit that 3 he (Ferguson) hit with 50 secs or so left was freakin' massive.  It's one of the biggest shots made for the Razorback basketball team in years. 

I'm not saying McCurdy won't be able to do it.  I *am* saying that he's just not quite ready for that.  2 months a go we had no clue. 

I think we've seen enough of McCurdy now to know that he can contribute and that giving him minutes is a good thing overall.

Ok, but the BRICK right after that was just as HUGE.  He does not play smart and cancels out the good he does offensively.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgoHe does not play smart

If playing smart was the criteria for playing time on this team then not a single of them would get a single minute.  Playing hard makes up for the lack of playing smart.

Besides, when it comes to playing smart, the airballed three and the charging foul, both by McCurdy, are essentially 2 turnovers.  Both occurred in the second half.

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on February 22, 2006, 01:27:04 am
Quote from: notshavintilnuttgoHe does not play smart

If playing smart was the criteria for playing time on this team then not a single of them would get a single minute.  Playing hard makes up for the lack of playing smart.

Besides, when it comes to playing smart, the airballed three and the charging foul, both by McCurdy, are essentially 2 turnovers.  Both occurred in the second half.

1.  He had to shoot it b/c no one was open and the shot clock was running out.

2. He was maulled by the first defender and the fould was not called.  The other guy stepped in.  He was not out of control.

Lando Calrissian

Ok?

I still think you're misunderstanding me.

I think McCurdy should get several quality minutes.  I thought he should have long ago.

But starting him and/or playing him in crunch time?  Nope.

Swino

The motion offense actually had motion in it when McCurdy was in the game. 

toshortrock

just let him keep playing,he;s getting better with more playing time,but who would;nt,the coach has got to get control of things up there,i beleive he;s learning hisself
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

baseballhog

Is this not very similar to what happen this past fall with the football team.  Everyone could see we were headed nowhere with Robert Johnson and Nutt seemed to be the last one to realize it.  Insert Casey Dick and a sudden burst of energy came over the team and we looked like a different team the last 3 to 4 games.  Same story second chapter BB hogs are headed toward a maybe invite to the NIT with Jefferson insert McCurdy and all the sudden we are listed as the second bubble team with a chance to make the NCAA's. 

hillbilly

I thought Ferguson played Steele a lot better than McCurdy did. Don't get me wrong, I think McCurdy is playing good and should get more PT. But I still think that Ferguson did a better job guarding Steele than McCurdy did.

hogsanity

When the Hogs went to the Box and 1 on Steele with about 9 to go, Ferguson wore him like a shirt.  Yes, he still scored 6 pts, but they could no longer get him the ball to set up the offense, therefore other, pathetic ball handlers had the rock and simply imploded.  They could not hang onto the ball without Steel running the point. 

As for whoever made the comment about Steel driving for uncontested layups?  He scored 29.  He made 7 treys and at least 3 Ft's, and I know he mad about a 14 footer over Sean, so just where did he get all these layups on Ferguson?

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 22, 2006, 12:17:52 am
Steele made 7 out of 8 three point shots.  Only 2 were when McCurdy was on him.  One of them he was in his face and actually altered the shot.  Nobody was stopping Steele.  Yet Sean did the best job against him.

More importantly, he moved his feet on defense and kept Steele from driving for LAY UPS like he did all night against DJ and Ferguson.

The energy went up when he came in.  He had 5 assists on that last run they made.  He was the only one making the passes inside to Townes and Thomas.  He is the only PG that plays under control, that seems to have a plan on offense. 

He can get our big men the ball so they can score or pass it back out to Pookie or Ronnie.  We cannot win relying on outside shots only.

I am sick and tired of the "he can't play D" he has a "deer in headlights look".  There is NO EVIDENCE of this.  He is THE BEST PG WE HAVE and gives us the best chance from here on out.

He can run this offense.  Bring Ferguson in for a change of pace. 

THE TIME IS NOW.

:razorback:
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

RealSmartGuy

If McCurdy had played all year, he would be 10 times better, I Still can't believe we got rid of kendrick davis for Dontell, unreal

Hawgon

Quote from: hogsanity on February 22, 2006, 08:37:30 am
When the Hogs went to the Box and 1 on Steele with about 9 to go, Ferguson wore him like a shirt.  Yes, he still scored 6 pts, but they could no longer get him the ball to set up the offense, therefore other, pathetic ball handlers had the rock and simply imploded.  They could not hang onto the ball without Steel running the point. 

As for whoever made the comment about Steel driving for uncontested layups?  He scored 29.  He made 7 treys and at least 3 Ft's, and I know he mad about a 14 footer over Sean, so just where did he get all these layups on Ferguson

Box and 1 is not evidence of Ferguson playing good defense on Steele as that the whole point of a Box and 1 is to keep the ball from a player who is wearing you out.  When you go to a box and one you are basically admitting that you have no one who can guard a certain guy and the only way you can stop him is to keep him from getting the ball.  Playing the passing lanes and staying with a guy on a box and one is much easier than playing a man straight up when he has the ball and is facing the basket.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hawgon on February 22, 2006, 08:47:04 am
Quote from: hogsanity on February 22, 2006, 08:37:30 am

As for whoever made the comment about Steel driving for uncontested layups?  He scored 29.  He made 7 treys and at least 3 Ft's, and I know he mad about a 14 footer over Sean, so just where did he get all these layups on Ferguson

Box and 1 is not evidence of Ferguson playing good defense on Steele as that the whole point of a Box and 1 is to keep the ball from a player who is wearing you out.  When you go to a box and one you are basically admitting that you have no one who can guard a certain guy and the only way you can stop him is to keep him from getting the ball.  Playing the passing lanes and staying with a guy on a box and one is much easier than playing a man straight up when he has the ball and is facing the basket.

Uh isnt the point of a box one to shut someone down?  And that is exactly what they did. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hawgon

Sure it is.  But is not evidence that someone is playing great defense.  What it is is an admission that we have no one who can cover this guy straight up so we are going to a gimic defense to stop him.

TennesseeRaz

February 22, 2006, 09:06:05 am #22 Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 09:07:39 am by TennesseeRaz
Hogsanity asks, "so just where did he get all these layups on Ferguson?"

I know this is going to shock the heck out of everybody, but Steele got his layup when Jefferson was guarding him.  He took him from the top of the key all the way to the hole.

For those arguing that Ferguson should play, I agree, but he should not be running the point.  He's out of control there.  My wife, a former point guard at KS, cringes every time he handles the ball.  He can play some D, and he can shoot -- although I'm sometimes troubled the he perceives that he's "the man" when it's time for a big shot.

Tomhog™

Quote from: chiefsfan on February 22, 2006, 12:37:35 am
While I agree its time to give McCurdy some starting time, I am a firm believer in not changing things after a win.  So starting Ferguson again would do me just fine. 

If we start the same lineup and go down 20-8 at TENN, we won't be coming back there.  I don't want to start the same lineup that dug such a huge hole early on...

jlmurph227

not trying to rustle anyones feathers but sean had a turnover last night. some guy said he didn't. just wanted to clear that up. it  was a player control foul.  he did a nice job none the less. in my opinion, he's not ready to play 209 minutes a game.  ef is the only guy on our team who can get his shot off anytime he wants.  he is the x factor.  we need him to play and play well for us to have any success in the postseason. why he doesn't play smarter i will never know, but we need him to be a catalyst for this club heading in to the 3 biggest games of stan heath's career.

TennesseeRaz

jlmurph227, go back and look at McCurdy's "player control foul" on tape.  Was he out of control?  Yes, probably.  Was it a charge?  absolutely not.

ReturnToDynasty?

Here it is, plain and simple...Coach Heath messed up this season by not playing McCurdy more.  Looking at it from a cost/benefit perspective, McCurdy is as good as any point guard we have on the court...and that is with limited playing time.  Just think where Sean would be if Heath had confidence in him.  This decision by Stan could hurt us in the tourney. 

Great win last night!   :razorback:   

jlmurph227

still a turnover. i thought he played well. just wanted to point out he did have a turnover.

Hardwork321

McCurdy missed every shot he took.  He was out of control he is not ready.  He will be a life long bench player.

Craig O Squeal

While he's not playing as much as some folks would like, it appears that maybe SH is gaining more faith (or less in DJ, whichever) as at one point I think EF just made a turnover, and while SH could have pulled DJ off the bench, he actually went over, squatted down beside McCurdy and was talking to him before putting him into the game. While he may not be starting, I think in SH's eyes, he has leapfrogged DJ in terms of coach's confidence. And he also didn't pull him when he had that rough patch of the airball and the charge, I think he wanted to see McCurdy play through it, which he did. I think SH beleives more now in McCurdy than before, and that's going to equate to more opportunities for him down the road.

hogsanity

Quote from: TennesseeRaz on February 22, 2006, 09:06:05 am
Hogsanity asks, "so just where did he get all these layups on Ferguson?"

I know this is going to shock the heck out of everybody, but Steele got his layup when Jefferson was guarding him.  He took him from the top of the key all the way to the hole.

For those arguing that Ferguson should play, I agree, but he should not be running the point.  He's out of control there.  My wife, a former point guard at KS, cringes every time he handles the ball.  He can play some D, and he can shoot -- although I'm sometimes troubled the he perceives that he's "the man" when it's time for a big shot.

So Steel had 1 layup the whole game?  I dont care who was on him, a guy that quick only gets one layup, pretty good.  And on 3 or 4 of his treys, we were right there in his face. 

At least Ferguson realizes SOMEONE has to be the man.  Most games it looks like everyone is trying to not be the man. 

MCPeePants

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 22, 2006, 12:23:50 am
0 TURNOVERS
5 ASSISTS

If we're being technical though, he did have a player control foul on offense which cost us a possession and should be considered the same as a turnover.

hogsanity

A pg HAS TO SCORE SOME POINTS.  How many pts did the Bama Pg score?  How many did Our starter score.  Would we have won without Fergusosn pts?  Would bama have even been in the building without Steel?  A pg has to run the offense, but part of offense is scoring. 

nobballconcept

this post and the one NO DONTELL= WIN, need to be thread together.  the fact is:  Heath blew games this year b/c he did not make a change at PG earlier on.  if mccurdy had started the season and got the minutes, this team would be 22-4 at worst.

Dyerhog

February 22, 2006, 10:25:12 am #34 Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 12:57:09 pm by Dyerhog
I must have watched a different game, but I sure didn't see McCurdy being all that effective on Steele (which by the way is no shame, Steele is a very good point guard).  Eric did, by far the best defensive job on Steele, in my opinion.  Yes Eric is scary to watch with the ball in his hands and plays out of control, but on defense he is very tough and certainly a high energy player.  I do like Sean's attack mentality and his continual efforts to work the ball inside.  The sad reality is that no one of our so-called point guards have the total package, so I guess Stan will and has tried to blend each ones abilities to suit the situation. 

Lokirain

I like Sean, but his offense is lacking. He is great every where else. But the Razorbacks need some O. We have these strange stretches of zero offensive productivity. I feel Eric is a better option than Sean right now.

HogsRule

Quote from: nobballconcept on February 22, 2006, 10:05:50 am
this post and the one NO DONTELL= WIN, need to be thread together.  the fact is:  Heath blew games this year b/c he did not make a change at PG earlier on.  if mccurdy had started the season and got the minutes, this team would be 22-4 at worst.

So mcCurdy would have gotten the rebounds that we forget to go after at the end of games? He would have stopped Steele on his final drive at AL? He would have stopped Sparks at Kentucky from coming back and beating us. he would have made the Free throws at LSU? He would have Blocked the 3 at LSU? SUPER McCurdy. You have figured this out by what, watching him sit on the bench? They might not have even been in those games if McCurdy was in. Defense and rebounding at the end of games has been the problem in our losses. It was also the reason we just won 2 games in a row.
**Judgement on coaches withheld pending further information**

No Hate Zone

nobballconcept

let's say it like this:  we do not know for sure what would have happened in those games.  however, I have watched Dontell make mistake after mistake in those big games you mention.  How many senior point guards get the ball stolen from behind in the last 30 seconds?  How many senior pg's foul a guy shooting a three pointer up three in the last 10 seconds?  How many senior PG's pick their dribble up in the middle of the floor almost every time and kill the motion in our offense?  His D is better than Mc but nothing else is.  I can say his D did not keep us in games but his lack of O and a brain hurt us quite a bit.

Lokirain

Dontell Jefferson is not the answer, that's for sure. But other than that half court 3-pointer, what has Sean done that was so great?

HogISH™

when dontell was in the game last night he looked like a kid in a mans game.. if sm had been playing more in nonconf game he would be ready now.

but when he is in the game we go from the old notion offence to a somewhat motion offence.

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

Ugly Uncle

He runs the offense.  He doesn't jack up 3's or duck his head when he drives.  He looks to pass and barks out orders to get people moving.

Go back and watch the game again.  I was at the game but dvr'd it for when I got home.  I counted 5 times that Ferguson brought the ball up and shot it (either 3 or out of control drive) before even looking to pass. 

McCurdy, when he drives keeps his head up and makes the dish.  Check it out...it is on tape.
Retired Radio Host

Hognob

I saw both McCurdy and Ferguson make the same mistake with Steele. They waited for him inside the three point line, when it was obvious he was the only one that could score for Alabama the second half.

Lokirain

McCurdy is going to be a good one. That pass in the paint was just what the doctor ordered last night. We have to win now, and I am not sure Sean is ready. But then again, I am not the coach.

ArkansasI

God, I can't stand the hate for DJ.  The kid kept us in several games early in the year - UConn comes to mind.

Without being mean spirited, our offense with Sean is best described as follows:

Sean dribbling at the Hog (about 5 feet from the defender at the top of the key), our traditional scorers, Brewer and Modica or Ferguson (depending upon who was in) being denied the basketball.  Sean throws the pass to the players that the defenders wanted to have the ball - Thomas and Townes - and for the first time this year those guys won the game for us.

Credit Sean for not throwing up a jumper from the Hog's snout, but the two big guys had a whole lot more to do with the success of the motion offense than Sean.

When DJ was in, he didn't have the confidence to toss the ball underneath to Hill, who was the one down on the blocks.  That is why the anouncers correctly pointed out that we looked like we were standing around on offense.

I am not suggesting that DJ is a great basketball player or that Sean is a terrible player, but I am suggesting that this team got significant leads with DJ in big games.  There is no reason to crucify the kid for being at the tail end of monumental team collapses.

TwistedHog

As long as D-Jef is not in I don't give a darn who plays.

litmachog

Quote from: razorbacks4life27 on February 22, 2006, 12:23:03 am
It's time to get on the MCCurdy Bus.

+1 for notshavin

I'm on that bus.  I'm so on the bus that if you give me the keys, I'll drive that bus.

murray-vegas

Amazing...McCurdy won the game for us with his Superman Underoos on. Maybe we won the game because we actually fouled out another teams big men so we could get an edge rebounding. I think the Ferguson's defense was the reason that we won the game last night. He shut down Steele near the end and Brewer was on Steele on his last drive of the game. We win as a team and lose as a team. Not because of one player.

hogsrmyfav36

MCCURDY IS A FRESHMAN!!!  Give him a break.  He has been put in with pressure on him to "make something happen" knowing that with the first mistake Heath's gonna yank him.  Furthermore, pointguards are taught to think pass 1st, score 2nd.  McCurdy does need to work on his defense and really there's one thing he's doing wrong that would solve a lot of his issues.  He stands too upright on defense.  If he's going to be able to deal with the quickness of the point guards in the SEC he's got to learn to lower his hips and thus give himself a greater chance at being able to move laterally with them.  (Take it from a former small college bball player who had the same trouble.)
F&*!NG INTRANET

Hawgon

Quote from: murray-vegas on February 22, 2006, 01:44:11 pm
Amazing...McCurdy won the game for us with his Superman Underoos on. Maybe we won the game because we actually fouled out another teams big men so we could get an edge rebounding. I think the Ferguson's defense was the reason that we won the game last night. He shut down Steele near the end and Brewer was on Steele on his last drive of the game. We win as a team and lose as a team. Not because of one player.

Why do you think our big men had the ball enough so that they could get Alabama's big men in trouble?  Do you think it might have been because we had someone who actually looked to get them the ball?  I do.

McCurdy is not a superhero, but those of you who can't see how much better the offense runs when he is in there, just have no clue.  I don't know exactly why that is so, it may not be entirely McCurdy's doing, but whatever it is, it works.  Look at the last two games as evidence.

When you have lost as many games as we have by as few points as we have, a turnover here or there is enough to make the difference.  But the real difference is the lack of scoring droughts when McCurdy is playing.  When he and Ferguson share the duty, there aren't the long scoring droughts.  Bring in Dontell, and a drought begins.  It really is just about that simple.

fineswine

The first moment he comes into the game, the same thing happens...he gets beat off the dribble and fouls the guy.  He hasn't shown that he can guard anyone.