Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas is not a football school

Started by snoot hoggy hog, November 05, 2017, 08:39:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

snoot hoggy hog

From the Bolin article
Arkansas basketball may be good this year. Arkansas baseball certainly will be. Track and field and cross country are dominant. But Arkansas, like a lot of other places, is college football.

Arkansas fans and media need to come to the realization that football isn't the best thing going at Arkansas. So much money has pumped into the program while other neglected programs have been more successful. We were paying Houston Nutt more money than Hall-of-Famer Nolan Richardson.  Our track, baseball, and basketball teams outperform the football team year in and year out, yet we swear up and down that we're a football school. Alabama don't call themselves a basketball school and Kentucky doesn't masquerade as a football school. They've realized something that we haven't.

NuttinItUp

King Kong

It wasn't that long ago we were a top 5 team with a coach that is currently 5-4 in the ACC.

With the right coach we can do things

snoot hoggy hog

Quote from: King Kong on November 05, 2017, 08:42:57 am
It wasn't that long ago we were a top 5 team with a coach that is currently 5-4 in the ACC.

With the right coach we can do things
Since joining the SEC we've had far more success in our other sports.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on November 05, 2017, 08:39:42 am
From the Bolin article
Arkansas basketball may be good this year. Arkansas baseball certainly will be. Track and field and cross country are dominant. But Arkansas, like a lot of other places, is college football.

Arkansas fans and media need to come to the realization that football isn't the best thing going at Arkansas. So much money has pumped into the program while other neglected programs have been more successful. We were paying Houston Nutt more money than Hall-of-Famer Nolan Richardson.  Our track, baseball, and basketball teams outperform the football team year in and year out, yet we swear up and down that we're a football school. Alabama don't call themselves a basketball school and Kentucky doesn't masquerade as a football school. They've realized something that we haven't.

Meaning we will never be a BAMA or a Ga. or a Florida or even a LSU because we do not have enough home grown athletes to have consistent enough recruiting but we can be a consistent 7+ win team and give the big boys a run for their money and even beating them if they are not ready to play.  But getting ran off the field by 30+ is not Arkansas football either. 

hassettsportsman

For another thread, but, since it was suggested....filling seats is the true measure of success.  Coach B has not succeeded nor has Mike Anderson.  The ONLY reason he is still here is because of Nolan's magic carpet.  Sure baseball and track are doing great...along with golf.  As for football, we can restate the obvious again and again....Change is coming.

King Kong

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on November 05, 2017, 08:45:47 am
Since joining the SEC we've had far more success in our other sports.

Never said we didn't. But to think went can't win isn't correct

NinoHogUNIA

Quote from: hassettsportsman on November 05, 2017, 08:52:09 am
For another thread, but, since it was suggested....filling seats is the true measure of success.  Coach B has not succeeded nor has Mike Anderson.  The ONLY reason he is still here is because of Nolan's magic carpet.  Sure baseball and track are doing great...along with golf.  As for football, we can restate the obvious again and again....Change is coming.

Mike is doing good.
BIE

Qui Gon Jinn

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 05, 2017, 08:41:59 am
Bolin = Robert Shields
or worse.  Most, if not all, of what he writes isn't worth reading.
The expert in anything was once a beginner.

HoggyCat

So you want Track to pay the bills?  It's the only sustained program we have. And it's not what it once was, nationally.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Grunt

From the Bolin article

Arkansas fans and media need to come to the realization that football isn’t the best thing going at Arkansas. So much money has pumped into the program while other neglected programs have been more successful. We were paying Houston Nutt more money than Hall-of-Famer Nolan Richardson.  Our track, baseball, and basketball teams outperform the football team year in and year out, yet we swear up and down that we’re a football school. Alabama don’t call themselves a basketball school and Kentucky doesn’t masquerade as a football school. They’ve realized something that we haven’t.
It was the best thing at one time. Have you become Longized?
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Cinco de Hogo

Jeff Long said were not a sports school at all....

cost.

Paul

Judging by recent conference success, we're a track school

hassettsportsman

We all know track can't fund it all...but what it does do is compete for championships...just like baseball and golf.  Sooner or later it will be about empty seats(general seating) in football and basketball.  You will notice most of the camera angles are down...not up...like in successful programs.  Jeff Long doesn't qualify as a false prophet...more like false profit!

snoot hoggy hog

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 05, 2017, 09:27:27 am
So you want Track to pay the bills?  It's the only sustained program we have. And it's not what it once was, nationally.

It worked for Oregon.

toxichog

I moved around to several states over the last 20 years and am now back home in Arkansas.  It is interesting the difference in the way Arkansas is seen from people outside of Arkansas vs. inside. 
Almost nobody outside of Arkansas considers it a football school.  Once you get to sports they mention basketball.  Right or wrong that is the perception..........We are not considered a football school outside of Arkansas.

Pig Worshipper

The Pulse

Miss St. is not a football school. But, yet, here we are.

3kgthog

Quote from: Paul on November 05, 2017, 09:32:06 am
Judging by recent conference success, we're a track school

And other track programs are happy to let us collect those SEC trophies while they run and jump by us at nationals.

snoot hoggy hog

Quote from: toxichog on November 05, 2017, 11:28:19 am
I moved around to several states over the last 20 years and am now back home in Arkansas.  It is interesting the difference in the way Arkansas is seen from people outside of Arkansas vs. inside. 
Almost nobody outside of Arkansas considers it a football school.  Once you get to sports they mention basketball.  Right or wrong that is the perception..........We are not considered a football school outside of Arkansas.

Yep. I live in Georgia now and people still talk about Nolan,  "40 minutes of hell" Todd Day, Thurman, and Big Nasty.

Etowah

I too have moved around the country for the last 30 years after being born and raised in Arkansas...growing up on the SWC and being in Junior High in 1969.

Outside the state..college football fans see Arkansas very similar as they do Illinois.  Has had some good football teams but are remembered or thought of more for the Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson days with basketball.

What I have grown to understand over the years which I did not think about when I was growing up a Hog fan...if not for the weak schedule we played in the Broyles era, we were then what we are now.

We have always been Arkansas....just moved to a more difficult conference with a more difficult schedule.

Vantage 8 dude

From the Bolin article

That's total b.s. While we obviously haven't the kind of sustained success that others like 'Bama and LSU have had over the years, it's not like we've historically been considered a "Kentucky or Vandy" type football program. However, over the past half dozen years or so that we've badly slipped. No, bring in the right kind of coach who can recruit and even more importantly DEVELOP the talent and properly use it, we can be a very respectable program once again.

snoot hoggy hog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 05, 2017, 12:02:56 pm
That's total b.s. While we obviously haven't the kind of sustained success that others like 'Bama and LSU have had over the years, it's not like we've historically been considered a "Kentucky or Vandy" type football program. However, over the past half dozen years or so that we've badly slipped. No, bring in the right kind of coach who can recruit and even more importantly DEVELOP the talent and properly use it, we can be a very respectable program once again.

Every school that’s good in football don’t have great basketball programs and vice versa. Schools that think they’re “good enough” at both don’t compete for championships. The only exception was Florida and look at them now.

GoldCoastHog

Quote from: toxichog on November 05, 2017, 11:28:19 am

Not sure who you're talking to, but I've lived out of state for close to twenty years, in three states that border Arkansas, and not one person I know thinks that Arkansas is anything, BUT a football first school. No one even bothers to discuss anything other than football, when finding out I attended the UA, period.

So, lighten up Francis. What do you think our fight song lyrics were written about!? So, let me get this straight, we've been to 42 Bowl games, which easily puts us inside the top twenty all time, but we're not a football school? Hahahaha!!!! Wow!!!

bphi11ips

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 05, 2017, 08:41:59 am
Bolin = Robert Shields

You read that wrong. The OP says Arkansas is not a football school, not Bolin. The OP is FOS.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Atlhogfan1

From the Bolin article

The most balanced fan base in the SEC.  Same for the SWC.  Instead of recognizing this as a positive for our fan base, we have to try and argue and divide ourselves.  Football built Arkansas athletics.  It is the most popular sport in the US and especially our region of the country.  College football is an event and important to our region.  College basketball declined long ago and is not the product it once was.  It isn't about which program can have the most success.  That would be basketball between football and basketball at Arkansas. 

What do you suggest?  We quit paying attention to football?  Want to stop spending money on it?  Okay.  Where do we redirect that money?  I know you aren't going to suggest we hire a new basketball coach.  Remodel BWA?  Would that help the program?  Practice facility was built. 

Baseball has great facilities including a ridiculous stadium for an on campus college baseball stadium.  Track has luxury suites.  So does tennis.  What is football taking away from?

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

phadedhawg

Arkansas is a basketball school and the state is better at basketball than football. 

Of course I came of age in the Nolan era.  Football was what you did to kill time til basketball started

gangstaback

Arkansas is a basketball school with a decent football program.

Unfortunately basketball does not have the same revenue so it make sense to try harder at football.

Same as the poster from Georgia ... I've lived in several states and they always remember Big Nasty, Dwight Stewart, and some of the more recent folks like Bobby Portis and Patrick Beverley. Only ocassionally do I hear about football.

RockyMtnHog

Arkansas is and always will be a football school.  Football pays the bills and the Hog on the helmet is recognized world-wide.

I was in Singapore a few years ago riding the Tube (rail-way) wearing my Razorback cap.  A young man told his mom after seeing the cap "Mom that man is wearing an Arkansas Razorback cap".  He stated that is the team that Darren McFadden played for and I really like that team.  I gave that young man who was about 10 years old my cap and he just smiled from ear to ear and thanked me.  That made my day.

Arkansas just needs to get back to being Arkansas.  We have a brand that is recognized all over the world and we have fans all over the world.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

LumberBacks

November 05, 2017, 01:43:13 pm #29 Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 01:55:26 pm by LumberBacks
Apparently Baylor didn't buy into that.  Apparently TCU didn't buy into that.  Apparently Okie State didn't buy into that.  These teams were the doormats not so long ago, and they turned it around not only to be respected but to be in the discussion of the college playoffs.  Yea, Baylor has fallen on hard times recently, but they all turned it around with coaching.  The right coaching staff can do the same at Arkansas.   Arkansas fans can have reasonable expectations with a competitive program and without being labeled as delusional.  The majority of Arkansas fans want to be able to show up on gameday knowing that the Hogs will be competitive and are not a write off.  This is how we felt when CBP was at the helm.  He put the fear in all opponents.  Our opponents now scratch an "W" on the schedule against Arkansas before the season kicks off.  It made sense to give CBB a 5th year because it gave him the opportunity to prove that last year's Missouri and VT games were an anomaly.    However, the performance this year shows his failure is a pattern.  Time to move on and hopefully find the right coaching staff to make Arkansas worthy of following.

1highhog

Quote from: NinoHogUNIA on November 05, 2017, 08:58:12 am
Mike is doing good.

He had a good year last year, the first good year out of how many has it been now?

snoot hoggy hog

Quote from: LumberBacks on November 05, 2017, 01:43:13 pm
Apparently Baylor didn't buy into that.  Apparently TCU didn't buy into that.  Apparently Okie State didn't buy into that.  These teams were the doormats not so long ago, and they turned it around not only to be respected but to be in the discussion of the college playoffs.  Yea, Baylor has fallen on hard times recently, but they all turned it around with coaching.  The right coaching staff can do the same at Arkansas.   Arkansas fans can have reasonable expectations with a competitive program and without being labeled as delusional.  The majority of Arkansas fans want to be able to show up on gameday knowing that the Hogs will be competitive and are not a write off.  This is how we felt when CBP was at the helm.  He put the fear in all opponents.  Our opponents now scratch an "W" on the schedule against Arkansas before the season kicks off.  It made sense to give CBB a 5th year because it gave him the opportunity to prove that last year's Missouri and VT games were an anomaly.    However, the performance this year shows his failure is a pattern.  Time to move on and hopefully find the right coaching staff to make Arkansas worthy of following.

Nobody feared Bobby P because he couldn't beat em when it counted. Arkansas football teams have never beat em when it counted since joining the SEC. People call us second tier for a reason. We used to be a powerhouse but those days are gone.

toxichog

Quote from: GoldCoastHog on November 05, 2017, 12:31:54 pm
Not sure who you're talking to, but I've lived out of state for close to twenty years, in three states that border Arkansas, and not one person I know thinks that Arkansas is anything, BUT a football first school. No one even bothers to discuss anything other than football, when finding out I attended the UA, period.

So, lighten up Francis. What do you think our fight song lyrics were written about!? So, let me get this straight, we've been to 42 Bowl games, which easily puts us inside the top twenty all time, but we're not a football school? Hahahaha!!!! Wow!!!
Playing in the SWC bowls were "automatic ".............. and what is our Bowl record?  How many times did we get whipped by SEC teams in bowls?  .....pretty much all the time............look, I'm an all in Arkansas football fan who suffers through bad times like everybody else.  I'm just saying that we see Arkansas different than the rest of the country.  ( I did live in Texas and they didn't talk basketball because they don't know anything about it ).  We can and should be decent in football.......but doing it consistently will always be a struggle.......tiny recruiting base and mediocre high school football..........

Torqued pork

Kentucky is a basketball school.  Bama is a football school. We're neither.

snoot hoggy hog

Quote from: Torqued pork on November 05, 2017, 05:09:18 pm

Running off two potential hall of Fame coaches will kill your basketball program

Cinco de Hogo

Lol!  I'd say they are both as we are.  I mean I think I saw a football game Saturday, that could be my imagination.

jvanhorn

Quote from: hassettsportsman on November 05, 2017, 08:52:09 am

Actually Dave Van Horn is doing great.  Broyles did a great job of hiring him to replace DeBryan.  We will see what happens after Van Horn retires.  So far the fans haven't exactly taken to what is basically a top ten program year after year in great numbers and made this a state wide thing of pride, like they did when Nolan came in and took over basketball.    Which is a shame.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jvanhorn on November 05, 2017, 05:21:20 pm
Actually Dave Van Horn is doing great.  Broyles did a great job of hiring him to replace DeBryan.  We will see what happens after Van Horn retires.  So far the fans haven't exactly taken to what is basically a top ten program year after year in great numbers and made this a state wide thing of pride, like they did when Nolan came in and took over basketball.    Which is a shame.

We are top 10 of not top 5 nationally in baseball attendance. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jvanhorn

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on November 05, 2017, 02:13:59 pm
Nobody feared Bobby P because he couldn't beat em when it counted. Arkansas football teams have never beat em when it counted since joining the SEC. People call us second tier for a reason. We used to be a powerhouse but those days are gone.

Bill Self at Kansas didn't exactly start shaking in his boots every time he had to play Mike Anderson at Missouri, even though to his credit, Anderson might be getting ready to enter the golden period of his career.  And I have to say I think Long did a good job this time in hiring a girl's basketball coach.  Nothing is ever just black and white, lol.

jvanhorn

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 05, 2017, 05:25:01 pm
We are top 10 of not top 5 nationally in baseball attendance. 

But do you hear people across the state and in the media discussing Razorback baseball like they do football and basketball?

songofthesword

here is the 800 pound gorllia in teh room

to most white people in teh state and everyone in rural areas, they WANT to be a football school

to the kids actually playing the spoerts and the GLR area, it's a basketball school

no o;ne i know (i'm from little rock ) gives 2 shits about the football team. my dad is a die hard bama fan.  he's from granite mountain lol.

in the state, you have a disconnect between what the people paying money want the state of arkansas to be, and what the state actually is.  cause we can legit field a top 25 team year in and out and never recurit a soul outside of arkansas.

hobhog

From the Bolin article

Weird, because there are multiple times as many season ticket holders for football than all other sports combined. But whatever....

hamARchy in the USA

Indeed.  We used to be both.  Now we're a has been thanks to JohnWhiteJeffLong.

GoldCoastHog

Quote from: toxichog on November 05, 2017, 05:01:32 pm
Playing in the SWC bowls were "automatic ".............. and what is our Bowl record?  How many times did we get whipped by SEC teams in bowls?  .....pretty much all the time............look, I'm an all in Arkansas football fan who suffers through bad times like everybody else.  I'm just saying that we see Arkansas different than the rest of the country.  ( I did live in Texas and they didn't talk basketball because they don't know anything about it ).  We can and should be decent in football.......but doing it consistently will always be a struggle.......tiny recruiting base and mediocre high school football..........

Bowls were not simply automatic then; you must be extremely young, if not , then you would know there were half the number of Bowl games as there are currently. It truly was an honor to even be invited to a Bowl at one time.

Now we have so many bowls that almost 80 teams play in one; to the point that teams with 5-7 records get invitations!!

So, let's let at our Bowl record. Since, as I just stated, primarily the premier trams we being invited to Bowls during the 60's through the early 80's , look at who we were matched up against. It was a Who's who of brand name programs we played in that era. So, yes, when you're playing GA, OU, UCLA, TN , AL  of course you're going to take some lumps.

For instance, under Holtz, we went to  Fiesta, Orange and Sugar in consecutive seasons; our record? 1-1-1. We tied UCLA, beat OU, and lost to the Bear.

Hell, there's so many bowls now, that our pitiful current coach has been to 3 in 4 seasons , all while having anoverall losing record and 11-26 in conference play!!

Do yourself a favor, and look up how many Bowls were played from 1960- 1980. We were getting invites when it was "rarified air" to be extended an invite. Also, the matchups were "real".

GoldCoastHog

Quote from: songofthesword on November 05, 2017, 05:30:44 pm

to most white people in teh state and everyone in rural areas, they WANT to be a football school

to the kids actually playing the spoerts and the GLR area, it's a basketball school

no o;ne i know (i'm from little rock ) gives 2 shits about the football team. my dad is a die hard bama fan.  he's from granite mountain lol.

in the state, you have a disconnect between what the people paying money want the state of arkansas to be, and what the state actually is.  cause we can legit field a top 25 team year in and out and never recurit a soul outside of arkansas.

Well then, your dad ought to get it; it must've been tough for him weathering the "Mike" years; every program has them. Hope he's enjoying and appreciating his current ride, because they are never guaranteed.

hobhog

Quote from: songofthesword on November 05, 2017, 05:30:44 pm

WTH? Talk about a disconnect ....

NinoHogUNIA

Quote from: hobhog on November 05, 2017, 05:42:34 pm
WTH? Talk about a disconnect ....

I'm from Little Rock (Sunset area/ then Southwest off Chicot)

He's telling the truth.  Many of the kids that could play for the Hogs in the LRSD are overlooked so the attitude around football isn't great.

People are still mad about T Jackson and Brandon Mitchell not getting fair shakes to play Qb.   Petty to some but it does feed a narrative about Arkansas.

When it comes to hoops though Little Rock bleeds Razorback red.  The talent is in the state it has been for a good while. 

Arkansas could be heading towards a golden era in hoops again with the right support from all angles. 

Mike is liked in Central Arkansas I soundly believe he'll get the job done.
BIE

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Qui Gon Jinn on November 05, 2017, 09:25:01 am
or worse.  Most, if not all, of what he writes isn't worth reading.

Yes Robert was at least funny sometime!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: NinoHogUNIA on November 05, 2017, 06:42:56 pm
I'm from Little Rock (Sunset area/ then Southwest off Chicot)

He's telling the truth.  Many of the kids that could play for the Hogs in the LRSD are overlooked so the attitude around football isn't great.

People are still mad about T Jackson and Brandon Mitchell not getting fair shakes to play Qb.   Petty to some but it does feed a narrative about Arkansas.

When it comes to hoops though Little Rock bleeds Razorback red.  The talent is in the state it has been for a good while. 

Arkansas could be heading towards a golden era in hoops again with the right support from all angles. 

Mike is liked in Central Arkansas I soundly believe he'll get the job done.

We know how important to you he does.