Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Van Horn: Blaine Knight could turn down pros, return

Started by jbcarol, June 09, 2017, 12:17:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jry04

Quote from: Pig Papi on June 12, 2017, 10:20:41 am
If teams don't sign a top 10 player they lose that slot money.  Teams will gamble outside the top 10 but not so much inside it.
He is saying top 10 rounds. Every pick in the top 10 rounds has a slot value attached to it. I believe 4 guys in the top 10 rounds did not sign last year. There were 6 unsigned in 2015 out of the top 10 rounds.

Pig Papi

Top 10 rounds.  Each pick in the top 10 rounds has a slot value.  If a team can't sign a player, they lose that slot money.  You will see teams cut deals with guys outside the top 10 rounds to use a top 10 pick on but the player agrees to take a certain amount which is under slot.  This allows the teams to use the savings on other top 10 round draft picks.

RazorPiggie

Grizzlyfan

6 picks into the 5th round and Knight not selected.  This seems a really strange turn of events.

Grizzlyfan

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

riccoar

I think Knight comes back.  I'd be shocked if a player with two years left bolted being the next to last pick of the 29th round.  Kid's got too much skill to take peanuts.

jgcat4

I know someone who is friends with Blaine's mom. He'll be back next year. Not even a question. Bank on it. He had phone calls in the first 3 rounds and didn't take those offers. He knows how far his stock will rise with one more good year in college.
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...

311Hog

Blaine needs to get in the kitchen and get to eating =)

jbell96

Quote from: riccoar on June 15, 2017, 07:04:38 am
I think Knight comes back.  I'd be shocked if a player with two years left bolted being the next to last pick of the 29th round.  Kid's got too much skill to take peanuts.

The Rangers didn't draft him because they thought they could get him to sign for peanuts. They just drafted him to establish some rapport and build a relationship with him for next year. For example, Detroit drafted Faedo out of high school, he was dead set on school, and 3 years later they draft him again, because they built a relationship and established some trust with him a few years ago.

jry04

Quote from: jbell96 on June 15, 2017, 12:05:32 pm
The Rangers didn't draft him because they thought they could get him to sign for peanuts. They just drafted him to establish some rapport and build a relationship with him for next year. For example, Detroit drafted Faedo out of high school, he was dead set on school, and 3 years later they draft him again, because they built a relationship and established some trust with him a few years ago.
Weird

Quote from: jry04 on June 14, 2017, 02:44:05 pm
I think it is more of a shot in the dark for the teams, plus building a relationship with the prospect. Faedo went real late in the 2014 draft to the Tigers, and then the Tigers took him in the 1st round 3 years later. This is probably a similar situation unless both are content for signing under $200k (which I cannot imagine being the case considering they fell this far.)

jbell96

jry04