Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

68.75%, 76.68%, 83.33% and 90.9% Obviously Isn't Good Enough....

Started by Aston Martin 8 dude, November 21, 2011, 02:31:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Aston Martin 8 dude

As has been discussed elsewhere much of the national press doubts we're worthy to be ranked in the top 3 of the BCS because we haven't proven ourselves. Well in looking back to the first year of CBP's tenure we played 20+ true or redshirt freshmen with the coffers pretty much drained and finished 5-7. However, since then we've finished 8-5 in '09, 10-3 last year (with our first BCS bowl) and stand currently at 10-1. If my math serves me correctly we've posted a winning percentage of 33-16 (68.75%) so far during Petrino's time here, 28-9 since the beginning of '09 (a win % of 75.68), 20-4 since the start of last season (83.33%) and a current season win rate of (90.9%). These numbers have been accomplished in what most writers/analysts, pundents and general "experts" call the toughest division in the best overall football conference in college football. What am I missing here besides massive double talk?

Dcace83

Nothing. You are pretty much saying the things I am thinking.

On one show they praise how amazing it is for LSU, and Alabama to run the gauntlet of what is the SEC. One another show they claim we haven't proven anything even though our only loss is to Bama away. I know our schedule has been nice this year but it's still the SEC and we've still won the games we needed to.

If you want to talk about not being proven look at the frauds such as OKlite, Choke U, Standord, Oregon, Boise, etc. Those teams can't even cut it in their divisions full of cupcakes.
And if I had a gun, with two bullets, and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden and Toby, I would shoot Toby twice. -Michael Scott

<--- I brought that avatar to Hogville. It's win I know.

rljjr

I don't get it either. I'm not one for comparative scores, but LSU DRUBBED Oregon and Bama handled us pretty well. Yet, the National Media seem to think it was a better loss for Oregon than us. Look, Oregon has a nice team, but they didn't run an SEC gauntlet each week. Their best win is Stanford, and the jury is REALLY out on how good they are. I guess what I'm saying is we are in 3rd. If we win we should be in. No questions asked. Sucks to be the other 1 loss teams, but that's just how the records and schedules played out. I'd stack OUR loss to Bama against anyone of the other 1 Loss teams.

Aston Martin 8 dude

At this rate we'll have to have a four year winning streak to even be seriously considered for the NCG. On second thought that wouldn't be nearly good enough because we didn't have a five year streak.

TeufelHog

Bottom line, it's because our LOCAL ARKANSAS MEDIA doesn't hype/promote it's own team/players nationally worth a "darn."

Khallos

Guys, are we really this biased??

LSU and Bama each have a win against a top 3 team.

We don't yet. It's that simple.

joeyself

Quote from: Khallos on November 21, 2011, 03:52:05 pm
Guys, are we really this biased??

LSU and Bama each have a win against a top 3 team.

We don't yet. It's that simple.

Hammer, meet nail!  +1

And "yet" is the operative word in that.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

hogcaller1

As the old canard says, "To be the best, you have to beat the best"

Win, and let everything else take care of itself. I'm not going to worry myself about what the BCS, polls, or media think of us until we win.  Then there'll be plenty of time for that. If we don't win, it wasn't a productive discussion to being with.

Win, and we most likely play in the BCSCG (unless we go to the SECCG and lose).

Lose, and it's no better than Cap One or maybe Cotton with a 10-2 record and top 10 ranking.

In the immortal words of Al Davis ("RIP")....Just Win Baby!

GlassofSwine

I think the perception comes from losing Big Games on the national stage. If we would
have played Bama to a 3 point game instead of losing by 24 then we would be getting more respect this year. The losses to Ohio State in the Sugar and Alabama the year before hurt our perception and they will until we win one.

The thing is we are getting far more respect now than we did 3 years ago. From an image standpoint beating LSU is huge even if we don't got to the BCSNCG.... and winning whatever bowl game we end up in is huge too.

HG

The thing you're ignoring is that we're the only one of the top 3 not to have a win over another one of the top 3 yet.  If we beat LSU, then we'll have a better case for the same respect that LSU and Bama are getting, and we'll get it too.  The media will slobber over the team that brought down the Tigers, no question about it.

Edit:  As someone already said.  My bad.

welchog

Quote from: HG on November 21, 2011, 04:08:50 pm
The thing you're ignoring is that we're the only one of the top 3 not to have a win over another one of the top 3 yet.  If we beat LSU, then we'll have a better case for the same respect that LSU and Bama are getting, and we'll get it too.  The media will slobber over the team that brought down the Tigers, no question about it.

Edit:  As someone already said.  My bad.

So just WHO was that top ten team that Bama beat???  UF at #12 (what a friggin joke) was the closest they have come to beating a top ten. 

Wins:  Then #23 Penn St, #14 Arkansas, #12 Florida, and have yet to play #24 Auburn (Again, what a friggin joke).  Losses:  to #1 LSU.  That's an average of the five big games of a 14.8 rated team.

Arkansas on the other hand beat a then #9 rated USCe.

Wins:  Then #14 TAMU (Joke), #15 Auburn (Joke), #9 USCe, with #1 LSU yet to play.  Lost to then #3 Bama.  That is average of 8.4 of the five big games.

Why doesn't one of the talking heads put this together?

Khallos

Quote from: welchog on November 21, 2011, 04:31:44 pm
So just WHO was that top ten team that Bama beat???  UF at #12 (what a friggin joke) was the closest they have come to beating a top ten. 

Wins:  Then #23 Penn St, #14 Arkansas, #12 Florida, and have yet to play #24 Auburn (Again, what a friggin joke).  Losses:  to #1 LSU.  That's an average of the five big games of a 14.8 rated team.

Wins:  Then #14 TAMU (Joke), #15 Auburn (Joke), #9 USCe, with #1 LSU yet to play.  Lost to then #3 Bama.  That is average of 8.4 of the five big games.

It is simple, I've said it before:

LSU and Bama each have a win against a CURRENT top 3 team.

We don't YET. It's that simple.

HG

Current top 3.  And USCe minus Lattimore, if you want to be fair, is also a joke.

wupigsuey

Its not a then....its a now that matters. Win Friday and everything else is taken care of.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

welchog

Looking at LSU the same way:

Wins:  Then #3 Oregon, #25 MSU (yikes), #16 WVU, #17 UF (joke), #20 Auburn (joke), #2 Bama, and yet to play #3 Arkansas.

That is an average of 12.2.  Take away MSU for early poll screw up and you have 10.1.

I will give LSU their due, but Bama just don't deserve the media tongue bath they are getting over us.

welchog

Quote from: Khallos on November 21, 2011, 04:33:50 pm
It is simple, I've said it before:

LSU and Bama each have a win against a CURRENT top 3 team.

We don't YET. It's that simple.

So THEY get the benefit of us being ranked #3 NOW, but WE don't get the respect due a #3 team.

I see how it works.

jamie72921

Quote from: rljjr on November 21, 2011, 03:01:33 pm
I don't get it either. I'm not one for comparative scores, but LSU DRUBBED Oregon and Bama handled us pretty well. Yet, the National Media seem to think it was a better loss for Oregon than us. Look, Oregon has a nice team, but they didn't run an SEC gauntlet each week. Their best win is Stanford, and the jury is REALLY out on how good they are. I guess what I'm saying is we are in 3rd. If we win we should be in. No questions asked. Sucks to be the other 1 loss teams, but that's just how the records and schedules played out. I'd stack OUR loss to Bama against anyone of the other 1 Loss teams.

Oregon was behind 40-13 in the 4th quarter of that game and left their starters in and continued to run their HUNH and scored 2 meaningless TD's.

The perception that they weren't blown out by LSU is baffling to me.
Bless your heart

nosferatu

Quote from: welchog on November 21, 2011, 04:38:51 pm
I will give LSU their due, but Bama just don't deserve the media tongue bath they are getting over us.

your right. Bama beating the current #3 team in the nation, Arkansas, by 24 points doesn't mean anything. they don't deserve as much respect as the team they beat 38-14!! how dare the media!!
"When you're on the mound and you feel like you can murder someone's soul out there, failure isn't an option." - Brian Wilson

HG

Quote from: welchog on November 21, 2011, 04:41:29 pm
So THEY get the benefit of us being ranked #3 NOW, but WE don't get the respect due a #3 team.

I see how it works.

No, we don't get the respect they get, for the reason given.  Yet.  You might as well say we don't get the respect due a top 2 team.  We have to prove we can beat at least one of them, and we'll get our shot this week.

Khallos

Quote from: welchog on November 21, 2011, 04:41:29 pm

I see how it works.

Okay, at the risk of sounding like an LSU troll, let me break this down for you.

The records of the three teams against current (and therefore most accurate) top 3 teams:

LSU: 1-0 (1.000)
Bama: 1-1 (0.500)
Arkansas: 0-1 (0.000)

It is simple. Quit trying to make it more than what it is.

We take care of business and THEN we can talk.

wupigsuey

Quote from: Khallos on November 21, 2011, 04:45:12 pm
Okay, at the risk of sounding like an LSU troll, let me break this down for you.

The records of the three teams against current (and therefore most accurate) top 3 teams:

LSU: 1-0 (1.000)
Bama: 1-1 (0.500)
Arkansas: 0-1 (0.000)

It is simple. Quit trying to make it more than what it is.

We take care of business and THEN we can talk.

TROLL!!

Sorry, low hanging fruit. But, you're right. Not sure why it's difficult to understand.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

welchog

My point is more about what the talking heads have said that even with a win against lsu and a three way tie we stay at #3.

That is where we get no respect.