Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dont Like the CBB Contract?

Started by jcbville, October 02, 2017, 05:20:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgon

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 04, 2017, 09:39:57 am
Please list those games...

Rutgers, Mississippi State, and LSU right off the top of my head.

hawgon

Quote from: jcbville on October 04, 2017, 09:23:08 am
They view the Arkansas program differently than you do. They viewed it as a serious rebuild especially at that time. The hope was he would find success along with rebuilding the foundation. But they felt time to rebuild was warranted.

It wasn't and they're quite obviously wrong.

onebadrubi

Quote from: hawgon on October 04, 2017, 09:47:41 am
Rutgers, Mississippi State, and LSU right off the top of my head.

Lsu made a play, a single play late.  We then learned the D.C. ANd DB coach wasn't really all in an she went packing.

Rutgers was a lack of depth if I remember right.  We had no gas at the end it appeared they came
Marching back.

I can't remember the Ms st game. 

I don't think it was obvious as you lead on based on your agenda

hog of steele

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 02, 2017, 09:55:16 pm
Pretty much.

The only other team in the west to match Alabama on the field in the last 5 years has been Auburn when they went to the BCS NCG.

Ole miss also beat them twice. As we see how that happened, maybe not much to be proud of.

PorkSoda

Quote from: bondhue on October 04, 2017, 12:53:35 am
This thread makes it perfectly clear.  The explanation for why the SEC is down isn't Bama, it's not the loss of Meyer or Spurrier.  It is poor AD's.  Horrible AD's who if they were in private enterprise would run a profitable company into bankruptcy.
hard to argue with that.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ricepig

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 04, 2017, 10:01:24 am
Lsu made a play, a single play late.  We then learned the D.C. ANd DB coach wasn't really all in an she went packing.

Rutgers was a lack of depth if I remember right.  We had no gas at the end it appeared they came
Marching back.

AC fumbled on the goal line, they go down kick a FG and then win in OT.

Or, we go for the FG, the block it, we lose.

AugustaHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 04, 2017, 10:01:24 am

Marching back.

I might would've bought these explanations after year 1, thinking they are trying to change a culture.  In hindsight, what we were seeing was the new culture at hand.  This was the beginning of a pattern. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: AugustaHog on October 04, 2017, 06:15:07 pm
I might would've bought these explanations after year 1, thinking they are trying to change a culture.  In hindsight, what we were seeing was the new culture at hand.  This was the beginning of a pattern.

If only everyone who made contracts could see 5 years ahead

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 02, 2017, 09:55:16 pm
Pretty much.

The only other team in the west to match Alabama on the field in the last 5 years has been Auburn when they went to the BCS NCG.

uhhhhh..... once, as in one time....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

AugustaHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 04, 2017, 06:20:36 pm
If only everyone who made contracts could see 5 years ahead
You can't tell me after the first two seasons you were thinking holy hell we better lock this dude up or he'll leave us.  A 7-6 season earned him the worst one-sided buy-out ever?  JL made the decision to commit to an additional 5 years after just two SEC wins in the first two seasons.  It looked like a bad move then and looks even worse now. 

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: AugustaHog on October 04, 2017, 10:14:37 pm
You can't tell me after the first two seasons you were thinking holy hell we better lock this dude up or he'll leave us.  A 7-6 season earned him the worst one-sided buy-out ever?  JL made the decision to commit to an additional 5 years after just two SEC wins in the first two seasons.  It looked like a bad move then and looks even worse now.

7-6 looked ok after 4-8 and 3-9.  A jump of 3 or 4 wins from one year to another is not bad. You may have been clairvoyant at the time, but most fans were not thinking I bet we have a lost to Toledo in our future. 
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: AugustaHog on October 04, 2017, 06:15:07 pm

Key word: Beginning.  The pattern wasn't set yet.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 04, 2017, 05:27:39 pm
hard to argue with that.

The problem is ADs aren't in private enterprise exactly.  They work for educational institutions that operate under much different rules and which face much different challenges.

PorkSoda

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on October 05, 2017, 11:11:07 am
The problem is ADs aren't in private enterprise exactly.  They work for educational institutions that operate under much different rules and which face much different challenges.
True, a normal CEO might not be as successful at a university where like you said, there are a lot of factors other than the bottom line that count.  however, these contracts are heavily one sided.  whoever is "negotiating" them is basically giving the coaches agent anything they want.  maybe the Athletic Dept needs to hire their own agent instead of relying on pencil pushers.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

DLUXHOG

You all are going to be so sorry and sick when CBB delivers an incredible run of hugely victorious seasons.....   you'll be saying how smart JL was to get a big buyout, etc....

hog of steele

Quote from: DLUXHOG on October 05, 2017, 02:48:56 pm
You all are going to be so sorry and sick when CBB delivers an incredible run of hugely victorious seasons.....   you'll be saying how smart JL was to get a big buyout, etc....

This is the gamble Long made. 2 years ago I thought it would pay off for him. Now I am not so certain. If CBB turns it around and kills it next year, Long will look like a genius. If the UA gets stuck with a 9 million dollar set of Golden Handcuffs, Long will follow CBB out the door.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: hog of steele on October 05, 2017, 02:53:10 pm
This is the gamble Long made. 2 years ago I thought it would pay off for him. Now I am not so certain. If CBB turns it around and kills it next year, Long will look like a genius. If the UA gets stuck with a 9 million dollar set of Golden Handcuffs, Long will follow CBB out the door.

Oh, BTW... I meant to say "consecutive victorious seasons....🤗

AugustaHog

Nothing would make me happier than for this to occur.  I'll gladly eat my crow.  I just want to see this team win football games.  BB is a good guy, but he just hasn't won many football games that matter.  It would be great if starting from this point that begins to change and we start getting the wins to go with the peripheral stuff.  I think his buyout is going to give him another year for sure, unless the end of this season is just disastrous and we finish something crazy like 4-8.

jcbville

They're intentionally one sided. Its how they provide security.

The bottom line is this though. Taken for what they are intended for the contracts aren't crazy at all. They are an agreed upon timeline. No more and no less. Now whether or not you think the timeline given is too long etc...is up for debate I suppose. But the contracts arent, under most circumstances, that crazy.

At LSU however there was no reason to give Ed O that much security. It was a definite blunder. They could have set it up with a re-eval after 1 year and he would have taken it.  Id also say that going forward you will still have to provide the security coaches coming in want but you might want to keep the contracts to 5 year periods with a re-eval etc...setup at that time. I think coaches would generally find that acceptable. And it would help ADs console restless fan bases.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: AugustaHog on October 05, 2017, 03:02:18 pm
Nothing would make me happier than for this to occur.  I'll gladly eat my crow.  I just want to see this team win football games.  BB is a good guy, but he just hasn't won many football games that matter.  It would be great if starting from this point that begins to change and we start getting the wins to go with the peripheral stuff.  I think his buyout is going to give him another year for sure, unless the end of this season is just disastrous and we finish something crazy like 4-8.

Get ready to be happy then...

PorkSoda

October 05, 2017, 03:27:17 pm #120 Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 03:51:27 pm by PorkSoda
erm the buyout protects CBB from being fired, not from CBB getting another job.  if it went both ways, there would be no complaint.  but it doesn't go both ways.  it only ensures that CBB has X number of years to succeed or fail, and he can't be fired no matter how poor he performs.  but if he was ultra successful, there would be nothing to keep him from jumping to a better job. 

IOW, no matter what happens, arkansas gets screwed.  last I checked. the point of contract negotiations was not to ensure you get screwed no matter what happens.

jcbville

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 05, 2017, 03:27:17 pm
erm the buyout protects CBB from being fired, not from CBB getting another job.  if it went both ways, there would be no complaint.  but it doesn't go both ways.  it only ensures that CBB has X number of years to succeed or fail, and he can't be fired no matter how poor he performs.  but if he was ultra successful, there would be nothing to keep him from jumping to a better job. 

IOW, no matter what happens, arkansas gets screwed.  last I checked. the point of contract negotiations was not to ensure you get screwed no matter what happens.

This illustrates one of the main issues. The current environment in the SEC makes it so that the coaches and their agents feel that they need that level of protection and the ADs and the schools are agreeing with them right now. It's an SEC issue as a whole.

longpig

Quote from: jcbville on October 02, 2017, 05:20:32 pm
Have a look at this. LMAO Tiger Rant losing it over "O" The Rosy Finch Boyz, LLC

"LSU's contract is actually with "O" The Rosy Finch Boyz, LLC, which was incorporated last January when he got the job. It lists as its officers Ed Orgeron, his wife Kelly and New Orleans attorney William Neilson. It runs through 2021 and pays him about $3.5 million per year, with various incentives, plus benefits such as membership in the University Club of Baton Rouge and a $2,000-per month carer's allowance.

If Orgeron is fired "without cause" (namely for losing too much rather than NCAA violations or legal issues) prior to Nov. 28 of each year, then he is owed $12 million this year, $8.5 million next, $6 million in 2019, $4.5 million in 2020 and $1 million in 2021. Those numbers are "minus compensation paid during the terminating year." So subtract $3.5 million pro-rated at however many months he's worked that year."

https://sports.yahoo.com/lsu-stuck-ed-orgeron-184838225.html

Ouch! I thought they still had a one year deal.  Classic corndog move signing Ed O long term.
Don't be scared, be smart.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 05, 2017, 03:27:17 pm

Sure there was, an increase in salary. You think he wouldn't entertain a bump in pay to stay?