Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dont Like the CBB Contract?

Started by jcbville, October 02, 2017, 05:20:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: jcbville on October 03, 2017, 11:19:46 am
They are known for having patience and being methodical however.

Try telling Nolan Richardson that.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

AugustaHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 03, 2017, 10:55:07 am
If you have been successful enough in life to become a "big boy booster" I think the odds are almost zero that you are going to fall for Long trying to convince you that we are on the verge of something special.  Carnival barkers may be effective in some circumstances and places, but conversations with people who have built multi-million dollar companies aren't among them.
When you kiss ass as good as JL does, sometimes it works.  People with big egos like having their asses kissed.  You are quite correct in that most people that successful are capable of seeing through the BS.  Anyone with a pulse can see this thing is not rolling along so it would reason that someone with that much success/intelligence can see it too.  Hopefully there are some back-channel things at work that we nobodys aren't privy to knowing.

jcbville

Quote from: AugustaHog on October 03, 2017, 12:25:57 pm
When you kiss ass as good as JL does, sometimes it works.  People with big egos like having their asses kissed.  You are quite correct in that most people that successful are capable of seeing through the BS.  Anyone with a pulse can see this thing is not rolling along so it would reason that someone with that much success/intelligence can see it too.  Hopefully there are some back-channel things at work that we nobodys aren't privy to knowing.

We, already in this thread, answered the question. The "money" sees the contract for what it is, not the way a section of "fire the guy yesterday" fans see it. The "money" knows that its setup to work itself out on its own and they arent panicked because overall the athletic department is in good shape financially etc so as of right now they're willing to watch it play out and hope it turns around. And if not he'll be gone.   

Where do you guys think the "win 16 games in the next 2 seasons" came from? We made a 7 year deal. We will see what happens.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: AugustaHog on October 03, 2017, 12:25:57 pm

Maybe 2nd/3rd generation big boy boasters aren't as smart as the ones who made the money.

hawgon

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 03, 2017, 10:37:46 am
It's a complex conversation and deeply complex to discuss the two in the same argument, we see though that you aren't capable of having that conversation. 

I viewed the extension as Bielema getting what he was originally going to get anyways as far as income.  When he came here, he turned down money to put back in to the assistant pool for their salaries.  The extension gave him that and then showed that the AD and BoT along with the program we committed to his rebuild.  It did a swell job of proving just that, whether you like it or not.  At this time he was a proven hot commodity in the industry, viewed as one of the best actually, and he had the national media and most teams around the country talking about arkansas and saying how nobody wanted to play them at that point. 

Buyouts of large sums of money are just becoming the landscape of college football, like it or not.  It's extremely easy to look back now and judge that decision, but you weren't doing it back when it was released.  It similar to questioning trying a QB sneak on 4th and inches, extremely easy after the play is over.

Explain to me how the buyout as structured provided any security to the University of Arkansas to keep their "hot commodity" from taking another job.

onebadrubi

Quote from: hawgon on October 03, 2017, 05:06:25 pm
Explain to me how the buyout as structured provided any security to the University of Arkansas to keep their "hot commodity" from taking another job.

I again, see discussing this topic is too complex for you. 

Deep Shoat

Quote from: hawgon on October 03, 2017, 05:06:25 pm
Here, let me help.

That wasn't the point, jackhole.
All Gas, No Brakes!

onebadrubi

Quote from: Deep Shoat on October 03, 2017, 05:20:42 pm
Here, let me help.

That wasn't the point, jackhole.

He's not a jackhole.  I use to also think some people here were just agenda driven and wanting to be mean or rude, but the more that come out the more I see they just can't look at situations from a big picture.  Their narrow minds force them to view our situation the same as every other 120 schools, or can't weigh a situation for the full scope as it is different from the next.  He is trying to alter the discussion subject to fit his narrative most likely though.

HardCore

Quote from: The NewEra on October 03, 2017, 10:55:11 am
I recorded the LSU game so I could watch it last night.  It is so much fun watching them look terrible.  I can't stand the fanbase or the team.  Watching their administration blow coaching searches, firings and contract negotiations has been icing on the cake.  Pure comedy!

Unfortunately, it's kinda like looking in the mirror
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Großer Kriegschwein

Nobody was ever going to come and try to take Orgeron from LSU. Their buyout didn't make much sense. His historical record of losing big should have given them pause and structured the contract toward an incentive-based solution. Once year of salary should have been all the buyout they should have given him.
This is my non-signature signature.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 03, 2017, 07:28:04 pm
Nobody was ever going to come and try to take Orgeron from LSU. Their buyout didn't make much sense. His historical record of losing big should have given them pause and structured the contract toward an incentive-based solution. Once year of salary should have been all the buyout they should have given him.
can't these universities afford to hire lawyers and accountants to review these contracts?  or is it just that the Boards are completely clueless and agree to anything to get who they want.

I can understand if you are hiring someone away from another school that already has guaranteed income for x years.  but hiring someone who is basically unemployed, then guaranteeing income is as stupid as it gets.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 03, 2017, 07:56:51 pm
can't these universities afford to hire lawyers and accountants to review these contracts?  or is it just that the Boards are completely clueless and agree to anything to get who they want.

I can understand if you are hiring someone away from another school that already has guaranteed income for x years.  but hiring someone who is basically unemployed, then guaranteeing income is as stupid as it gets.

If they won't accept 1-year of salary as a buyout, it is in your best interest to move on to someone else. Especially with Orgeron's history of losing.

hawgon

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 03, 2017, 05:26:42 pm
He's not a jackhole.  I use to also think some people here were just agenda driven and wanting to be mean or rude, but the more that come out the more I see they just can't look at situations from a big picture.  Their narrow minds force them to view our situation the same as every other 120 schools, or can't weigh a situation for the full scope as it is different from the next.  He is trying to alter the discussion subject to fit his narrative most likely though.

Explain the big picture to me, Wise One.  I can't wait to hear/read this.  Lol

GoHogs1091

They waited too long to get rid of Miles.

Their A.D. (if he should even be called an A.D.) made the same poor business decision that Jeff Long made, and that was giving an excessive undeserved buyout.

They are basically stuck with Orgeron for at least 1 more season.  We know about the bad situation they are in.

hawgon

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 03, 2017, 08:49:27 pm

Their A.D. (if he should even be called an A.D.) made the same poor business decision that Jeff Long made, and that was giving an excessive undeserved buyout.

They are basically stuck with Orgeron for at least 1 more season.  We know about the bad situation they are in.

But their situation gets rapidly better with regard to the buyout.  Bielema's won't get to less than 7 million until 2020.

onebadrubi

Quote from: hawgon on October 03, 2017, 08:47:25 pm
Explain the big picture to me, Wise One.  I can't wait to hear/read this.  Lol

It's been laid out for you, you just can't seem to grasp it

onebadrubi

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 03, 2017, 08:49:27 pm

No, the buyouts in the contracts given to miles and and Bielema are not similar in any way.   

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hawgon on October 03, 2017, 08:54:34 pm
But their situation gets rapidly better with regard to the buyout.  Bielema's won't get to less than 7 million until 2020.

Yep.

I personally like BB, however, the buyout is just silly and prohibitive. It's practically married us to him without regard to W-L record unless he does something stupid like his predecessor (actual, not interim).

GoHogs1091

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 03, 2017, 08:57:36 pm
No, the buyouts in the contracts given to miles and and Bielema are not similar in any way.   

It is a similar situation because of an excessive undeserved buyout.

They are stuck with Orgeron.

We are stuck with Bielema.

onebadrubi

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 03, 2017, 09:01:44 pm

If you are comparing Bielema's buyout to orgeron, Ok.  If you are comparing mikes to Bielema's which is what your post seemed like to me then it's different in regards to Ann aD. 

GoHogs1091

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 03, 2017, 09:04:32 pm
If you are comparing Bielema's buyout to orgeron, Ok.  If you are comparing mikes to Bielema's which is what your post seemed like to me then it's different in regards to Ann aD. 

Okay.  No problem.

My second sentence of my 1st post was referring to the poor business decision their A.D. made regarding Orgeron's buyout.

The waiting too long to get rid of Miles caused them some problems.  It made their A.D. make rash and rushed decisions regarding their coaching search (wasn't much of a search though; Herman was only interested in Texas, and Alleva panicked and Alleva got impressed with Orgeron's binder of action plan).

onebadrubi

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 03, 2017, 09:13:08 pm
Okay.  No problem.

My second sentence of my 1st post was referring to the poor business decision their A.D. made regarding Orgeron's buyout.

The waiting too long to get rid of Miles caused them some problems.  It made their A.D. make rash and rushed decisions regarding their coaching search (wasn't much of a search though; Herman was only interested in Texas, and Alleva panicked and Alleva got impressed with Orgeron's binder of action plan).

Their AD should have been canned after the Miles thing then awarding him after all of it

PorkSoda

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 03, 2017, 09:01:44 pm

not really, CBB had a long term contract he was leaving behind at Wisconsin.  Ed O was basically out of a job at the end of the year and had no where to go and no offers.

not even close to the same situation.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 03, 2017, 09:04:32 pm

We are in a better position to pay the buyout if it were needed. It would make any Razorback supporter or non-supporter sick to their stomach for some guy to get a $16 million dollar payday for sucking at his job.

The Program Supporter knows that his donation money will be going to pay that stupid buyout and not to the ACTUAL improvement of the program.

The Non-Program Supporter sees many people living in poverty in a small rural state and some dude getting $16 million because he didn't actually do what was required to earn that $16 million.

It's just silly.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 03, 2017, 09:18:08 pm
not really, CBB had a long term contract he was leaving behind at Wisconsin.  Ed O was basically out of a job at the end of the year and had no where to go and no offers.

not even close to the same situation.

Bielema didn't get his excessive undeserved buyout from Long for leaving Wisconsin.

Bielema got his excessive undeserved buyout from Long for winning a nationally irrelevant bowl game against a terrible Texas team.

PorkSoda

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 03, 2017, 09:25:32 pm
Bielema didn't get his excessive undeserved buyout from Long for leaving Wisconsin.

Bielema got his excessive undeserved buyout from Long for winning a nationally irrelevant bowl game against a terrible Texas team.
no he got an excessive buy out when he came from wisconsin, and it was extended/bumped up after the win against texas.

im of the opinion that there wasn't enough evidence of sustained success to extend the buyout after 2 conference wins in two years, but they didn't ask me.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 03, 2017, 09:31:13 pm
no he got an excessive buy out when he came from wisconsin, and it was extended/bumped up after the win against texas.

im of the opinion that there wasn't enough evidence of sustained success to extend the buyout after 2 conference wins in two years, but they didn't ask me.

2012 contract
He can be fired for cause. The contract contains a lengthy list of reasons both specific and a general "character" clause. But if the UA just wants him gone, it will have to pay a heavy buyout price in the early going — $12.8 million in 2013, 2014 and 2015. The figure drops to $9.6 million in 2016, then $6.4 million and then $3.2 million. If all goes well, custom has it that such contracts are renegotiated and rolled over before they expire.

2014 Contract

The contract's buyout terms are extremely friendly to Bielema, who would be owed $15.4 million if he's fired any time before 2018 and a minimum of $7.9 million if if he's fired any time before 2020. But Bielema would only owe Arkansas $4 million if he leaves in 2015 and would owe progressively less over the course of the contract down to only $500,000 on Jan. 1, 2019.

jcbville

Some people may not like it now or like to hear it but the contract is structured very deliberately to make it difficult for the UofA to fire CBB until a certain agreed upon timetable more or less runs out. Barring any unforeseen disasters that nullify it or make it excessively prudent to buy it out. It was the point of how its setup. It was the deal that was made. It wasnt a "blunder" or an "accident". And it wasn't made solo by Jeff Long. It was deliberate. It was asked for.  It was given. And all the powers that be, real or imagined signed off on it.

If it helps to look at it as a wager as noted above thats not an unfair view.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 03, 2017, 09:37:32 pm
2012 contract
He can be fired for cause. The contract contains a lengthy list of reasons both specific and a general "character" clause. But if the UA just wants him gone, it will have to pay a heavy buyout price in the early going — $12.8 million in 2013, 2014 and 2015. The figure drops to $9.6 million in 2016, then $6.4 million and then $3.2 million. If all goes well, custom has it that such contracts are renegotiated and rolled over before they expire.

2014 Contract

The contract's buyout terms are extremely friendly to Bielema, who would be owed $15.4 million if he's fired any time before 2018 and a minimum of $7.9 million if if he's fired any time before 2020. But Bielema would only owe Arkansas $4 million if he leaves in 2015 and would owe progressively less over the course of the contract down to only $500,000 on Jan. 1, 2019.

so lets just see how this works out

year   original   extention
1   12.8   15.4
2   12.8   11.7
3   12.8   7.9
4   9.6   4
5   6.4   
6   3.2   

essentially, the only difference is a move from 3.2 per year to 3.85 per year for the life of the contract.

not as big of a change as people are making it out to be.

onebadrubi

Quote from: jcbville on October 03, 2017, 09:38:49 pm
Some people may not like it now or like to hear it but the contract is structured very deliberately to make it difficult for the UofA to fire CBB until a certain agreed upon timetable more or less runs out. Barring any unforeseen disasters that nullify it or make it excessively prudent to buy it out. It was the point of how its setup. It was the deal that was made. It wasnt a "blunder" or an "accident". And it wasn't made solo by Jeff Long. It was deliberate. It was asked for.  It was given. And all the powers that be, real or imagined signed off on it.

Shhh you are thinking and looking at a bigger picture, long term goal with that thinking

Großer Kriegschwein

1   12.8        15.4
2   12.8            15.4
3   12.8            15.4
4   9.6              7.9
5   6.4              7.9
6   3.2

The 15.4 million buyout is thru 2017

PorkSoda

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/sec-football-head-coach-contract-salary-buyout

Arkansas would have to pay Bielema $15.4 million if he were fired before 2018, $11.7 million before 2019, $7.9 million before 2020 and $4 million in the final year of his contract, according to AP reporter Kurt Voigt.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 03, 2017, 10:00:33 pm
https://www.seccountry.com/sec/sec-football-head-coach-contract-salary-buyout

Arkansas would have to pay Bielema $15.4 million if he were fired before 2018, $11.7 million before 2019, $7.9 million before 2020 and $4 million in the final year of his contract, according to AP reporter Kurt Voigt.

that's what I posted above dude

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 03, 2017, 09:37:32 pm
2012 contract

2014 Contract

The contract's buyout terms are extremely friendly to Bielema, who would be owed $15.4 million if he's fired any time before 2018 and a minimum of $7.9 million if if he's fired any time before 2020. But Bielema would only owe Arkansas $4 million if he leaves in 2015 and would owe progressively less over the course of the contract down to only $500,000 on Jan. 1, 2019.

PorkSoda

October 03, 2017, 10:06:00 pm #83 Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 10:18:01 pm by PorkSoda
Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 03, 2017, 09:59:35 pm

1   12.8        15.4
2   12.8            15.4
3   12.8            15.4
4   9.6              7.9
5   6.4              7.9
6   3.2

The 15.4 million buyout is thru 2017
if you want to go by calendar year then

2012   12.8   
2013    12.8   
2014    12.8    
2015    9.6     15.4
2016    6.4     15.4
2017    3.2     15.4
2018              11.7
2019              7.9
2020                 4

either way the only real difference besides the extension is a move from 3.2 to 3.85 x 4 years, or however may years are left in the contract, which ever is less.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 03, 2017, 10:01:18 pm
that's what I posted above dude

my bad, I forgot to take into account that it started in 2015

regardless, the only real difference besides the extension is a move from 3.2 to 3.85 x 4 years, or however may years are left in the contract, which ever is less

AugustaHog

You are absolutely correct.  My issue here is the length of this whole thing.  I truly think 5 years is more than plenty to determine if someone can hack it or not.  7 is insane, especially with the lack of commitment financially on the other side.  Essentially, he's free to leave at a fair price if he kills it through 4 years.  If he sucks, and he has, we get stuck choosing which turd we'd rather eat, the buyout or 2-3 more years of poor football.  The only way we could've won is if he's successful and chooses not to leave for greener pastures.  I know what his motive was with this contract, but it was a dumbass move to tie yourself to this boat anchor. If it fails, JL has to go.  He shouldn't be able to make another hire/contract that could cripple us for another 7 years.  Jeffy out thought himself here.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 03, 2017, 10:09:09 pm
my bad, I forgot to take into account that it started in 2012

regardless, the only real difference besides the extension is a move from 3.2 to 3.85 x 4 years, or however may years are left in the contract, which ever is less

I'm not seeing the whole need for an increase in buyout etc...etc....

PorkSoda

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 03, 2017, 10:17:56 pm
I'm not seeing the whole need for an increase in buyout etc...etc....

yeah, 2 conference wins in 2 years just screams "give me a raise!"

That is the problem when managers don't use measurable goals.

if you aren't measuring success, how do you know if they are achieving it?

Großer Kriegschwein

hawgon

We know all that.  It was specifically set up to make Bielema difficult to impossible to fire.  Which makes it even more idiotic all the way around.  Long's judgment was clearly and demonstrably terrible after the BP disaster and the compounding of said disaster by hiring a known buffoon with a bankruptcy hanging over his head and then structuring his contract in a manner specifically designed to defraud his creditors in said bankruptcy.

The people who bought off on that idiotic and dishonest scheme the signed off on the ridiculous Bielema buyout designed by Long to keep his man in place while their geriatric arses were in the throws of nostalgic ecstasy from beating a worse than mediocre Texas team.

Oh, we understand that it was designed that way and why.

Calling All Hogs

Nothing like locking down a coach that no one else wants.

Großer Kriegschwein

bondhue

This thread makes it perfectly clear.  The explanation for why the SEC is down isn't Bama, it's not the loss of Meyer or Spurrier.  It is poor AD's.  Horrible AD's who if they were in private enterprise would run a profitable company into bankruptcy.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

jcbville

Quote from: AugustaHog on October 03, 2017, 10:11:09 pm
You are absolutely correct.  My issue here is the length of this whole thing.  I truly think 5 years is more than plenty to determine if someone can hack it or not.  7 is insane, especially with the lack of commitment financially on the other side.  Essentially, he's free to leave at a fair price if he kills it through 4 years.  If he sucks, and he has, we get stuck choosing which turd we'd rather eat, the buyout or 2-3 more years of poor football.  The only way we could've won is if he's successful and chooses not to leave for greener pastures.  I know what his motive was with this contract, but it was a dumbass move to tie yourself to this boat anchor. If it fails, JL has to go.  He shouldn't be able to make another hire/contract that could cripple us for another 7 years.  Jeffy out thought himself here.

Now you've gotten to the heart of the matter. Did it need to be a 7 year deal? A fair and debatable question. To take 7 years would be worst case scenario as it was proposed but also progress was promised to still be seen during that worst case scenario. What they didn't/couldn't predict was how last year ended which changed the optics of the whole thing. Now it will have to play out and if it ultimately doesn't work out well then it will be a knock on Jeff Long. That was the gamble that was taken.

jcbville

Quote from: hawgon on October 03, 2017, 10:41:51 pm
We know all that.  It was specifically set up to make Bielema difficult to impossible to fire.  Which makes it even more idiotic all the way around.  Long's judgment was clearly and demonstrably terrible after the BP disaster and the compounding of said disaster by hiring a known buffoon with a bankruptcy hanging over his head and then structuring his contract in a manner specifically designed to defraud his creditors in said bankruptcy.

The people who bought off on that idiotic and dishonest scheme the signed off on the ridiculous Bielema buyout designed by Long to keep his man in place while their geriatric arses were in the throws of nostalgic ecstasy from beating a worse than mediocre Texas team.

Oh, we understand that it was designed that way and why.

Seems that everything touches a nerve with you. Like a man who yells every time he speaks. Have to find a way to decompress or you'll expire younger than you should. Food for thought.

hawgon

Quote from: jcbville on October 04, 2017, 08:32:06 am
Seems that everything touches a nerve with you. Like a man who yells every time he speaks. Have to find a way to decompress or you'll expire younger than you should. Food for thought.

Not at all.  I simply recognize idiocy when I see it.

hawgon

Quote from: jcbville on October 04, 2017, 08:28:43 am
Now you've gotten to the heart of the matter. Did it need to be a 7 year deal? A fair and debatable question. To take 7 years would be worst case scenario as it was proposed but also progress was promised to still be seen during that worst case scenario. What they didn't/couldn't predict was how last year ended which changed the optics of the whole thing. Now it will have to play out and if it ultimately doesn't work out well then it will be a knock on Jeff Long. That was the gamble that was taken.

Anyone who was paying attention knew exactly how this would play out after the first year.  He dropped games that a reasonably competent coach would have won.

And they completely knew this.  Why is that obvious?  Because if they had thought that Bert was actually going to do a good enough job to actually merit being the coach, such a ridiculous one sided buyout would not have been needed. 

jcbville

Quote from: hawgon on October 04, 2017, 08:50:34 am
Anyone who was paying attention knew exactly how this would play out after the first year.  He dropped games that a reasonably competent coach would have won.

And they completely knew this.  Why is that obvious?  Because if they had thought that Bert was actually going to do a good enough job to actually merit being the coach, such a ridiculous one sided buyout would not have been needed.

They view the Arkansas program differently than you do. They viewed it as a serious rebuild especially at that time. The hope was he would find success along with rebuilding the foundation. But they felt time to rebuild was warranted.

onebadrubi

Quote from: hawgon on October 04, 2017, 08:50:34 am

Please list those games...

ricepig

It amazes me that those wanting him fired yesterday can't understand this. He wanted X amount of time to do it has way, which was the way the administration wanted it. You want to change thinks, start from the AD and continue up.