Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

After watching...

Started by Pigsknuckles, March 19, 2018, 08:33:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigsknuckles

...the dogfight that was the Okie State/Stanford game, and the way Utah is pummeling LSU, I'm not sure we would have faired much better in the NIT tournament.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

sickboy

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on March 19, 2018, 08:33:27 pm
...the dogfight that was the Okie State/Stanford game, and the way Utah is pummeling LSU, I'm not sure we would have faired much better in the NIT tournament.

Nice. Kick your own team while they're down. It's like punching yourself in the nuts.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: sickboy on March 19, 2018, 08:34:28 pm
Nice. Kick your own team while they're down. It's like punching yourself in the nuts.
Our team kicked itself in the nuts. Of 8 SEC teams in the dance,  only us and Mizzou failed to advance in the 1st round.

widespreadsooie

You cannot compare NIT performances to the NCAA, it's a completely different tournament

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: widespreadsooie on March 19, 2018, 08:55:46 pm
You cannot compare NIT performances to the NCAA, it's a completely different tournament
Tell that to LSU. Utah up on them by 23 in the 3rd quareter.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on March 19, 2018, 09:16:51 pm
Tell that to LSU. Utah up on them by 23 in the 3rd quareter.

Tell what to LSU. The Hogs wouldv'e been playing at home, as a top seed, until the final four of the NIT.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: widespreadsooie on March 20, 2018, 08:27:40 am
Tell what to LSU. The Hogs wouldv'e been playing at home, as a top seed, until the final four of the NIT.

LSU beat us twice. There is a lot of parity between the bottom seed NCAA teams, and top seed NIT teams. This was discussed at length by the booth during the LSU beat down. No calculation of RPI, or win/loss voodoo is going to guarantee that all teams that deserve to be in the NCAA will get there. Sometimes it comes down to a beauty contest where a good season or playoff win, or having a media darling player on your team (ala OU and Alabama) decides where you end up, maybe at the expense of another deserving team. I stand by my opinion that, given what I saw against Butler, we likely would have fallen fairly early in the NIT.

Hoggish1

Quote from: widespreadsooie on March 19, 2018, 08:55:46 pm

Not really.  You are what you are regardless of the tourney.  Shoot poorly in either one and you go down.  You must not stop playing balls to the wall defense in either case...

Hoggish1

We couldn't beat LSU at our place.  Then we lost by more at their place and they are an NIT teams and we are an NCAA teams. LOL

widespreadsooie

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 20, 2018, 12:03:30 pm
We couldn't beat LSU at our place.  Then we lost by more at their place and they are an NIT teams and we are an NCAA teams. LOL

I guess we couldv'e saved a lot of hopes from getting up because we lost twice to LSU. No way we had a chance against anyone, not even Radford, because we lost twice to LSU and they're an NIT team. Superior reasoning. NIT presents home court advantages and motivation (lack thereof) factors, two factors not present in the NCAA tournament. Hogville has a huge problem with recency bias. Lose one game to Butler and then you can't win on your home court against the likes of Hampton and Wagner. Give me a break.

code red

Mississippi State would run us out of the gym
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: code red on March 20, 2018, 08:41:19 pm

Yeah, didn't they beat us like 2 pts in Starkville after outshooting us at the line 40-12 or something like that?

HogBreath

Like when we went to Cal a few years back and they mopped the floor with the fast forty?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

widespreadsooie

Quote from: HogBreath on March 20, 2018, 08:50:20 pm
Like when we went to Cal a few years back and they mopped the floor with the fast forty?

That isn't anything like I said. Another reason why comparing this year's team to what if NIT scenarios really makes no sense for a conversation point because we were a 7 seed in the NCCAT.

HogBreath

Quote from: widespreadsooie on March 20, 2018, 09:00:06 pm
That isn't anything like I said. Another reason why comparing this year's team to what if NIT scenarios really makes no sense for a conversation point because we were a 7 seed in the NCCAT.
That NIT game at Cal was a good example of the CMA fast forty roller coaster being on one it's trademark downhill runs.  Very much like the Butler game, when we were a #7 seed, and they only a #10 seed, yet we got our doors blown off......again.  Hooray for the fastest forty !

If you saw Coach Mike wrestlin' one of those Golden Bears that night in Berkeley, it was Mike who needed the help.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

widespreadsooie

Quote from: HogBreath on March 20, 2018, 09:13:02 pm
That NIT game at Cal was a good example of the CMA fast forty roller coaster being on one it's trademark downhill runs.  Very much like the Butler game, when we were a #7 seed, and they only a #10 seed, yet we got our doors blown off......again.  Hooray for the fastest forty !

If you saw Coach Mike wrestlin' one of those Golden Bears that night in Berkeley, it was Mike who needed the help.

Man I'm real curious how you feel after big wins, or can you even remember those? Also, what coach comes in today that you don't wanna run off after we don't make the Sweet 16 in his first 3-4 years?

HogBreath

Quote from: widespreadsooie on March 20, 2018, 09:19:17 pm
Man I'm real curious how you feel after big wins, or can you even remember those? Also, what coach comes in today that you don't wanna run off after we don't make the Sweet 16 in his first 3-4 years?
Unlike you, I feel a lot better after big wins than after big losses, you always feel great either way, as long as you keep getting to ride that exciting fast forty roller coaster. 

So enjoy the ride, business as usual for you.

Oh, and the Florida game in the tourney was a big win, I was really hoping we could sustain that into the big dance, but wasn't to be, the rollercoaster took off down the tracks once again.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: HogBreath on March 20, 2018, 09:27:04 pm
Unlike you, I feel a lot better after big wins than after big losses, you always feel great either way, as long as you keep getting to ride that exciting fast forty roller coaster. 

So enjoy the ride, business as usual for you.

Lol, likely response. Couldn't answer the question that mattered. And a pretty half ass answer for the other. What does it take for you to be content and how will that happen given current circumstances? Mike will at least allow someone to inherit a stable program unlike the pile of **** he was given.

sadhogfan

Quote from: HogBreath on March 20, 2018, 09:13:02 pm
That NIT game at Cal was a good example of the CMA fast forty roller coaster being on one it's trademark downhill runs.  Very much like the Butler game, when we were a #7 seed, and they only a #10 seed, yet we got our doors blown off......

Butler was *favored* to win the game.

HogBreath

Quote from: widespreadsooie on March 20, 2018, 09:34:42 pm
Lol, likely response. Couldn't answer the question that mattered. And a pretty half ass answer for the other. What does it take for you to be content and how will that happen given current circumstances? Mike will at least allow someone to inherit a stable program unlike the pile of **** he was given.
Who gives a rat's patoot what coach gets ran off when he fails to deliver?  Why would you be worried about who might fail?  A loser mentality at it's worst, and a real dumb question at best.

And Mike's best recruiting class...the one he inherited, which is how it's worked for him at every stop.  His best years are always with the previous guy's recruits.

Anything else you're curious about?

HogBreath

Quote from: sadhogfan on March 20, 2018, 09:36:42 pm
Butler was *favored* to win the game.
They sure had that one pegged right.  Something we can use to help ease the sting of getting blown out that day.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: HogBreath on March 20, 2018, 09:44:45 pm
Who gives a rat's patoot what coach gets ran off when he fails to deliver?  Why would you be worried about who might fail?  A loser mentality at it's worst, and a real dumb question at best.

And Mike's best recruiting class...the one he inherited, which is how it's worked for him at every stop.  His best years are always with the previous guy's recruits.

Anything else you're curious about?

Nope, because you fail to see the real issue at hand and that's firing coaches comes with a cost. Especially firing ones who have had the most success here in 20 years. You want to cease any momentum we have.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: widespreadsooie on March 20, 2018, 09:54:21 pm
Nope, because you fail to see the real issue at hand and that's firing coaches comes with a cost. Especially firing ones who have had the most success here in 20 years. You want to cease any momentum we have.

This is now a distant memory...
Quote from: HogBreath on February 19, 2018, 05:17:24 pm
Please save me a seat on that bandwagon Mr. Bullfrog.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

HogBreath

Quote from: widespreadsooie on March 20, 2018, 09:54:21 pm
Really messed Texas Tech up didn't it?  Mizzou really struggled after losing Kim Anderson, eh?  Of course, whether it's Haith, Kim or Cuonzo, they seem to have the fast forty figured out.  Auburn sure fell off with Pearl didn't they?  Tennessee went down with Barnes, riiiggght????  LSU seemed okay with their first year guy, at least against Mike anyways.

Got any more bright ideas?

Try to keep up.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Serious question:  how many of you actually enjoy sports? 

widespreadsooie

Quote from: HogBreath on March 20, 2018, 10:04:10 pm
Really messed Texas Tech up didn't it?  Mizzou really struggled after losing Kim Anderson, eh?  Of course, whether it's Haith, Kim or Cuonzo, they seem to have the fast forty figured out.  Auburn sure fell off with Pearl didn't they?  Tennessee went down with Barnes, riiiggght????  LSU seemed okay with their first year guy, at least against Mike anyways.

Try to keep up.

Try to keep up, okay. I'll give you Rick Barnes and TN made a hell of a hire, they still lost in the 2nd round. So who's our "hell of a hire" that will keep you content beyond consistent tournament appearances? This is my issue. A lot think you fire Mike and problem solved, I see it as problem created. For reasons I can at least state. I haven't said one time he shouldn't be fired, but nobody calling for his firing can back it up. Our program is what is now, mid tier...so save the early 90s rhetoric.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: HogBreath on March 20, 2018, 10:04:10 pm

Try to keep up.

All of those teams were terrible when their coaches were fired. Barbee at Auburn was 49-75 in 4 years and never had a winning season. Tyndall was fired at Tenn. with cause for violations at another program that had the NCAA put a 10-year show clause on him. Kim Anderson was 27-68.  Johnny Jones at LSU had 1 NCAA birth in 5 years and no wins in the tourney. It took Bruce Pearl 4 years to get out of the bottom of the SEC.

Furthermore, LSU didn't make the NCAA tourney this year, Missouri tied with Arkansas and went home in the 1st rd. Arkansas had wins against both Auburn and Tenn. this year. Auburn got annihilated in the 2nd rd of the tourney. Tenn lost to an 11 seed and they were a 3. None of these schools are still playing.

ShadowHawg

The NIT is won by the team's most happy to be there.

HogBreath

Quote from: widespreadsooie on March 20, 2018, 10:23:25 pm
Try to keep up, okay. I'll give you Rick Barnes and TN made a hell of a hire, they still lost in the 2nd round. So who's our "hell of a hire" that will keep you content beyond consistent tournament appearances? This is my issue. A lot think you fire Mike and problem solved, I see it as problem created. For reasons I can at least state. I haven't said one time he shouldn't be fired, but nobody calling for his firing can back it up. Our program is what is now, mid tier...so save the early 90s rhetoric.
And I haven't said he should be fired, he did just win 23 games, 50 wins the last two season....but just 1 dance win.  Mike's a great guy, but I'm not a big fan of his system at all.  But can't see him getting fired right now.  I've always been surprised Mike's put up the numbers he has giving his coaching and recruiting.

Of course, we wouldn't fire Mike hoping to get a sorry coach, but we could, we could also land a great one,  and we wouldn't keep him, if we knew for sure he's going to do a sorry job.  There's a risk, or a cost either way.

They say that doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is insane, and if there's something you know you need to do eventually, there's no point in delaying it.

HogBreath

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 20, 2018, 10:28:42 pm
All of those teams were terrible when their coaches were fired.

That was kind of the point, Einstein.  Reading comprehension much?

GlassofSwine

Quote from: HogBreath on March 20, 2018, 10:43:17 pm
That was kind of the point, Einstein.  Reading comprehension much?

MA isn't in the ballpark of terrible, in fact his team this year compared well against all the coaches you mentioned. So any more stupid comparisons?

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 20, 2018, 10:46:24 pm
MA isn't in the ballpark of terrible
Well, his car is in the parking lot and his ticket has been scanned in.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: code red on March 20, 2018, 08:41:19 pm

They have won 3 games in the NIT, with 2 of the wins being against a higher seed on that higher seed's home court (#1 Seed Baylor and #2 Seed Louisville).

They are showing that the NCAAT Committee made a mistake not putting them in the NCAAT (Mississippi State should have been put in instead of Alabama and Missouri).

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 22, 2018, 02:01:01 pm
They have won 3 games in the NIT, with 2 of the wins being against a higher seed on that higher seed's home court (#1 Seed Baylor and #2 Seed Louisville).

They are showing that the NCAAT Committee made a mistake not putting them in the NCAAT (Mississippi State should have been put in instead of Alabama and Missouri).

Let's be honest though. They lucked in a 3 at the buzzer at Baylor against a team that didn't finish 500 in the big 12 and then they beat a lame-duck coached Louisville team that didn't even want to play in the nit and was forced to by their ad.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 22, 2018, 03:00:12 pm
Let's be honest though. They lucked in a 3 at the buzzer at Baylor against a team that didn't finish 500 in the big 12 and then they beat a lame-duck coached Louisville team that didn't even want to play in the nit and was forced to by their ad.

Mississippi State is still playing though.

Other than Kentucky, Texas A&M, and Mississippi State, the rest of the SEC basketball teams who are now back at home are an underachieving group of mediocre, overrated teams.

The cream has risen to the top in the SEC regarding the teams (Kentucky, Texas A&M, and Mississippi State) who are playing well at the time that it really only matters (national tournament time).

Hawg414

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 22, 2018, 04:23:34 pm

Other than Kentucky, Texas A&M, and Mississippi State, the rest of the SEC basketball teams who are now back at home are an underachieving group of mediocre, overrated teams.

The cream has risen to the top in the SEC regarding the teams (Kentucky, Texas A&M, and Mississippi State) who are playing well at the time that it really only matters (national tournament time).

well.. they are playing for 69th place.

if the hogs were in the CBI tournament and winning each game, i doubt you'd claim we are part of the cream rising to the top.

Dr. Starcs

Omg. I'd still rather make the big dance any day of the week.

rude1

Just stop!!!! Everyone knows your love of everything MsState, don't even know why you pretend to be a Hog fan. I would rather lose in the first round of the Big Dance by 50 than win the NIT by 50.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 22, 2018, 06:08:49 pm
Omg. I'd still rather make the big dance any day of the week.

Quote from: rude1 on March 22, 2018, 07:50:59 pm
Just stop!!!! Everyone knows your love of everything MsState, don't even know why you pretend to be a Hog fan. I would rather lose in the first round of the Big Dance by 50 than win the NIT by 50.

In fairness, he is absolutely the longest-running, most consistent troll of all time. 

rhames

No one gives a crap about the NIT.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: rhames on March 22, 2018, 08:02:37 pm
No one gives a crap about the NIT.

The 4 teams that are remaining in the NIT would beat a lot of the mediocre garbage SEC teams.

Also, the 4 teams that are remaining in the NIT would beat some of the teams that are remaining in the NCAAT.

elksnort

Quote from: HogBreath on March 20, 2018, 08:50:20 pm
And Bill Walton was talkin darn

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on March 19, 2018, 08:33:27 pm

What's it matter?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 22, 2018, 09:45:47 pm
What's it matter?

In our case it really didn't, but there were/are some really decent teams at the top of the NIT heap; some of which would likely have caused us, and some other NCAA bracketed teams a lot of trouble.