Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Let’s talk about the laterals

Started by hawgon, November 19, 2017, 07:32:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgon

In the world of WTH plays over the years of the Bert era, that has to rank right up there at the top.  I know I know, coming at the tail end of the whole thing that it doesn't mean much and nobody cares.  But seriously, there was time for one, maybe two more plays before we did a lateral play. 

I don't care that much, but the level of unprepared amateurishness in this staff in every aspect of the game is simply unbelievable.  I've never seen it before at any level.

Wooderson

100% agree.  Throw an out to the sideline and with the help from the wind heave one the last play.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

mike_the_geek

Yes you are right, that made no sense. In the same boat as a long play action pass from your own 45 on 4th and 2. As if we are being coached by someone who doesn't give a rip and has already been told he's gone.

rickm1976

Quote from: hawgon on November 19, 2017, 07:32:31 am
In the world of WTH plays over the years of the Bert era, that has to rank right up there at the top.  I know I know, coming at the tail end of the whole thing that it doesn't mean much and nobody cares.  But seriously, there was time for one, maybe two more plays before we did a lateral play. 

I don't care that much, but the level of unprepared amateurishness in this staff in every aspect of the game is simply unbelievable.  I've never seen it before at any level.

Yeah, I sat there in disbelief.  We could have picked up maybe 20 yards, and then had time to take one shot at the end zone.

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

flagstaffhog

That's all Enos could think of and then we were woefully unprepared to properly execute the play. Shouldn't surprise anyone...
Go HOGS Go!

Hogwild

initially I thought it was a hook and ladder and he was going to run out of bounds after picking up the first, by then we started throwing the ball all over the place. 

Drop the Mike

When we lateraled to Colton Jackson I knew we were in good shape.

Hoggish1

Good point.  But not punting to pin MSU deep and make them go more than 10 yards to win the game was way more important than the laterals.

Pigsknuckles

I was embarrassed for us watching that play.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

HogPharmer

Were we out of TO's at that point? I was eating thanksgiving dinner with the family and watching from afar. I know we had probably 13 seconds left when the pass was completed and couldn't believe we started lateraling the ball.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

PygmalionEffect2

LOL

I've become so desensitized to nutty play calls at the end of close games that I really didn't reflect on it.

It's just become so normal. 

It's like, yeah that's us.

President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

PygmalionEffect2

President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on November 19, 2017, 09:42:29 am
I was embarrassed for us watching that play.
When they started thtowing laterals all I could say is wow
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

IronHog

Worse game day coach than Nutt......and that's saying something
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

rhog1

Quote from: IronHog on November 19, 2017, 11:05:10 am

I really Like Bret Bielema, but your right sad as that is. I can't wait for Friday. Just get this season over with and get us someone new in here. That coaching yesterday was a clownshow.

HoggyCat

Quote from: HogPharmer on November 19, 2017, 09:44:30 am
Were we out of TO's at that point? I was eating thanksgiving dinner with the family and watching from afar. I know we had probably 13 seconds left when the pass was completed and couldn't believe we started lateraling the ball.

Timeouts or not, out of bounds stops the clock. Easily time to run two outs to gain 20-30 yards.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Oklahawg

Kudos to Porkulator for the pic.

Your QB can't throw it 20 yards and hit the broad side of a barn because he is hurt, and his backup is sitting this one out in the student section (glad he was there to support the team, I guess?).

You draw up the initial play and then it is an improv session. It takes a complete football imbecile to think that (a) they draw up this play complete with up to 20 laterals and (b) the QB was going to throw it 70 yards in the air on a Hail Mary if for no other reason he doesn't have that arm strength when healthy (gale at your back or not).

More practically, would the OL have held up protection long enough for the Hail Mary to develop?

I thought when Pettway had it on the home sideline there was a chance...he couldn't get up field far enough to space out the defense.

If you want to critique the coaches for that play, critique that they didn't put in 5 TEs as OL vs the OL and give them 11 guys who could handle the ball. And, have your five blazers on the field - and who needs a QB?  Warren, Pettway, Stewart, Hammonds, Cross, and the walk-on who plays on KO coverage would work.

Did anyone notice we had the throwback called on the KO return and the FB (Johnson, I think) didn't throw it? Maybe it had to go to the back line before they'd throw it back to Hammonds. He had half the field to himself, but the pass/lateral doesn't get there quickly and I bet MSU would have angles on him. Maybe. Would have liked to see it work.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hawgon

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 19, 2017, 02:22:38 pm

Your QB can't throw it 20 yards and hit the broad side of a barn because he is hurt, and his backup is sitting this one out in the student section (glad he was there to support the team, I guess?).

You draw up the initial play and then it is an improv session. It takes a complete football imbecile to think that (a) they draw up this play complete with up to 20 laterals and (b) the QB was going to throw it 70 yards in the air on a Hail Mary if for no other reason he doesn't have that arm strength when healthy (gale at your back or not).

More practically, would the OL have held up protection long enough for the Hail Mary to develop?

I thought when Pettway had it on the home sideline there was a chance...he couldn't get up field far enough to space out the defense.

If you want to critique the coaches for that play, critique that they didn't put in 5 TEs as OL vs the OL and give them 11 guys who could handle the ball. And, have your five blazers on the field - and who needs a QB?  Warren, Pettway, Stewart, Hammonds, Cross, and the walk-on who plays on KO coverage would work.

Did anyone notice we had the throwback called on the KO return and the FB (Johnson, I think) didn't throw it? Maybe it had to go to the back line before they'd throw it back to Hammonds. He had half the field to himself, but the pass/lateral doesn't get there quickly and I bet MSU would have angles on him. Maybe. Would have liked to see it work.

Is there anything you won't defend? When they FOIA Bert's emails are they going to find one from a "college professor in Oklahoma" telling him how good a job he is doing?

Here is what a real coach would have done.  He would have run a play to get the ball down the field as far as they could, call that timeout we had, and use it to call a play that looked a little better than something a ten year old would come up with on a playground.

HogMantheIntruder

November 19, 2017, 02:42:10 pm #19 Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 03:05:15 pm by Poppa Tart
Quote from: Oklahawg on November 19, 2017, 02:22:38 pm

Very well said, and I'm with you on this one. I would have liked for us to run another play first, and then used a time out, but I actually liked the idea of trying the laterals. I'm pretty sure it's worked for us at least once before. At that point, it was going to take a miracle, and our standard offense was not able to move the ball all day. The one thing I would disagree with you on is putting 5 TE's at OL, for the simple fact that it would take away the element of surprise, which I am sure they were hoping would make some defenders abandon their lanes and open something up. Who knows, though? It's a crap shoot play no matter what you do in that situation.

What I like is that it gets the defense out of position and could have given one of our faster guys a chance to get some open field and take it to the house. It's one of the few plays that is virtually impossible to prepare for, and it lasted much, much longer than any standard possession, making the chances of something crazy happening all the more plausible. Frankly, I think it's something that should be utilized more when you need a miracle. Honestly, how often do you see a Hail Mary work, even with a strong armed QB and a good OL? How about with an injured QB, minus his favorite target, and a patchwork OL that was terrible even before it lost its two best players while featuring a 3rd string center?

Not running one more play first and using a TO was the bad coaching decision on that one. The personnel may not have been ideal, but he play itself was the best option when there were literally NO good options to be had, IMHO.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

ballz2thewall

my sense is that all the goofball plays are cbb's. it got hip with tretola. we got way too much hype on that.
The rest of the frog.

Pigsknuckles

We always listen to the Fayetteville 92.1 radio recap as we are leaving games. I don't know whose show it is, but the broadcaster was vehemently criticizing CBB's in game performance. Called him the worst "in game" coach he had ever witnessed, and begged for this 5 year train wreck to be over soon. Pulled no punches. I was reminded of CBB's 2015 MS debacle where he took the ball out of the hands of a productive offense, and put the game on the leg of a FG unit that, one week earlier, against OM was blocked, and sent us into OT. 

hawgon

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on November 19, 2017, 03:17:12 pm
We always listen to the Fayetteville 92.1 radio recap as we are leaving games. I don't know whose show it is, but the broadcaster was vehemently criticizing CBB's in game performance. Called him the worst "in game" coach he had ever witnessed, and begged for this 5 year train wreck to be over soon. Pulled no punches. I was reminded of CBB's 2015 MS debacle where he took the ball out of the hands of a productive offense, and put the game on the leg of a FG unit that, one week earlier, against OM was blocked, and sent us into OT.

That was one I had forgotten about.  We could have scored half a dozen times and instead he did runs up the gut and bled the clock.

ShadowTheHedgehog

And we were close to the 1st down marker when he passed it backwards instead of getting the 1st down and stopping the clock.

LZH

When Gus gets here he will be able to recruit speed, and not necessarily have to hang his nuts on massive kids we are short on.

IronHog

Quote from: rhog1 on November 19, 2017, 11:11:05 am
I really Like Bret Bielema, but your right sad as that is. I can't wait for Friday. Just get this season over with and get us someone new in here. That coaching yesterday was a clownshow.

Whisky fans warned us.

Seems like a likeable frat boy......not someone you'd follow into battle.

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

SPAL

Is Okla the only one here who understands football or is he the only one here who can isn't blinded by hatred? A hail Mary from Austin Allen?

Best thing I've seen yet. Okla is right as rain.

hawgon

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 19, 2017, 04:25:47 pm
Is Okla the only one here who understands football or is he the only one here who can isn't blinded by hatred? A hail Mary from Austin Allen?

Who said the last play had to be a Hail Mary?  There was time enough for two more plays then a time out to set up the last play.  I'm sure Okla has already sent Bert an email complementing him on his tenure here at Arkansas.

007 License To Squeal

There was enough time for at least 2 more plays.....and we left unused time outs......irresponsible way to end the game.  It looked as if we were trying run out the clock.......imho, of course.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: hawgon on November 19, 2017, 03:24:04 pm
That was one I had forgotten about.  We could have scored half a dozen times and instead he did runs up the gut and bled the clock.
Then, the kick was blocked, and we lost. Several here argued that CBB played to the percentages. However, what really happened is that he played away from our strength, and to our weakness. Common (or uncommon) pattern.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: hawgon on November 19, 2017, 04:33:36 pm
Who said the last play had to be a Hail Mary?  There was time enough for two more plays then a time out to set up the last play.  I'm sure Okla has already sent Bert an email complementing him on his tenure here at Arkansas.
You are 100% correct that Bielema should have run a couple of plays, or at least one, before the final play. I don't think anyone is arguing that. That being said, we likely would not have been much further up field even after another play or two, so the final play was going to have to be a shot in the dark, or HM type of play. What Okla, sir-pigs, and I are arguing is that trying to laterals gave us the best chance to catch a lucky break and put one in the end zone.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

hawgon

Quote from: Poppa Tart on November 19, 2017, 04:52:31 pm
You are 100% correct that Bielema should have run a couple of plays, or at least one, before the final play. I don't think anyone is arguing that. That being said, we likely would not have been much further up field even after another play or two, so the final play was going to have to be a shot in the dark, or HM type of play. What Okla, sir-pigs, and I are arguing is that trying to laterals gave us the best chance to catch a lucky break and put one in the end zone.

Then set one up with a down the field hook and lateral type play instead of that playground crap we did for the last twenty seconds or so if the game.  Even the announcers were surprised when we started doing that so early.

ICEman

I would rather talk about Bubble sorts.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Wooderson

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 19, 2017, 04:25:47 pm

If Allen can't throw it 55 yards with a 30 mph wind at his back you put in anyone that can.  I know Storey can do it.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

Oklahawg

Quote from: Wooderson on November 19, 2017, 06:00:57 pm
If Allen can't throw it 55 yards with a 30 mph wind at his back you put in anyone that can.  I know Storey can do it.

Not sure anyone not suspended for the game has an arm to throw it that far - wind or not - after standing around for a half of football. It would be like bringing in Aroldis Chapman to pitch after waking him up from a nap - it is not gonna hit 100MPH without his arm falling off.

Bringing in Storey is not a bad idea. But, as suggested by someone above, bringing in 5 TEs as OL signals something is up. Bringing in Storey signals the obvious, I guess.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: hawgon on November 19, 2017, 05:59:32 pm
Then set one up with a down the field hook and lateral type play

See? That isn't so hard. This is not a bad idea.

rzrbaxfan

They are both bad, but in different ways.  Nutt would pound the same plays over and over and was too afraid to take risks.  Do you remember cheering for an incomplete pass....just because it wasn't another run play?  BB takes risks, he just does so at the most unnecessary times and rarely succeeds.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 19, 2017, 06:23:49 pm
Not sure anyone not suspended for the game has an arm to throw it that far - wind or not - after standing around for a half of football. It would be like bringing in Aroldis Chapman to pitch after waking him up from a nap - it is not gonna hit 100MPH without his arm falling off.

How can an SEC team go into a game without a QB suited up who can throw the football 55 yards in the air?  You can believe this or not...I don't really care...but when I was in high school and college I could throw the ball 70 yards with relative ease.  How can anyone get a scholarship to play football at a P5 program if he can't throw the football 55 yards, especially with a strong wind behind him?

If that is the case it's yet another reason why this entire staff needs to be shown the door.  Let's label it Exhibit 117.

Oklahawg

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 20, 2017, 10:45:52 am
How can an SEC team go into a game without a QB suited up who can throw the football 55 yards in the air?  You can believe this or not...I don't really care...but when I was in high school and college I could throw the ball 70 yards with relative ease.  How can anyone get a scholarship to play football at a P5 program if he can't throw the football 55 yards, especially with a strong wind behind him?

If that is the case it's yet another reason why this entire staff needs to be shown the door.  Let's label it Exhibit 117.

As I gently reminded with the baseball reference I would not ask a cold arm to throw like that. Go warm up the best arm on the bench for 5 minutes and they are ok. Have them throwing while MSU is driving. That's fine. But putting anyone in cold is a recipe for disaster.

You can argue that they should have known that AA could throw it much beyond 30 yards (however long that bad pass was to Pettway on 4th down) and have warmed up the next best option. The best option, of course, was eating hotdogs in the student section, serving a well-deserved suspension. I don't think Storey has a great arm but is it good enough for this throw? I bet the walkon doesn't. They only had three on the active roster for the game, which is standard for conference games with a limited roster.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 20, 2017, 11:03:22 am
As I gently reminded with the baseball reference I would not ask a cold arm to throw like that. Go warm up the best arm on the bench for 5 minutes and they are ok. Have them throwing while MSU is driving. That's fine. But putting anyone in cold is a recipe for disaster.

You can argue that they should have known that AA could throw it much beyond 30 yards (however long that bad pass was to Pettway on 4th down) and have warmed up the next best option. The best option, of course, was eating hotdogs in the student section, serving a well-deserved suspension. I don't think Storey has a great arm but is it good enough for this throw? I bet the walkon doesn't. They only had three on the active roster for the game, which is standard for conference games with a limited roster.

If there is any question whether Storey can throw a football 55 yards...and I'm not saying there is because I don't know...he doesn't need to take up a scholarship at an SEC football program.  Again, this is nothing against Storey.  The same would go for any quarterback on any team.  There may be a place for QBs who can't throw a football 55 yards, but it's not at a P5 football program.

In the case of a Hail Mary it's not like it is typically a frozen rope thrown into a tight window.  Unless a receiver inexplicably breaks free and is wide open, it's more a case of throwing up a rainbow for a jump ball situation.

SquidBilly

Maybe I'm just too cynical about CBB at this point but when he does stuff like this, and he's done it a lot during his tenure, I feel like he's saying trickery is the only way he believes we can possibly win some of these games.  How about he coaches the whole game and puts us in a position to win in traditional fashion rather than letting it get down to the point where he pulls out one of these ill conceived Mickey Mouse gadget plays to try to tie it.  Sure they get attention when they work but unless you have a guy like Joe Adams, who seemed to be able to elude a tackle as well as any Razorback I've ever seen, these plays usually don't work. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Could you do it from your knees?  That would make you as good as JaMarcus Russell!
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on November 21, 2017, 09:54:07 am
Could you do it from your knees?  That would make you as good as JaMarcus Russell!

Never tried it.  I recall that Matt Jones had a pretty impressive throw from his knees before his shoulder injury.  Patrick Mahomes, too.

sickboy

That's an NFL quality arm you had there. That's Jay Cutler arm strength. I'm assuming this wasn't at full speed during game play? My guess is you either had a huge ass, or extreme core strength, or both to be able to cork a football 70 yards with ease. Not every college QB can do that. Most are 45-50 yards with proper mechanics while playing at full speed. Depending on if the get their feet set and full motion.