Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GAFFORD!!!!

Started by ocsm158, November 17, 2017, 09:22:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Smithian

Said before the season this team has the potential to be pretty good if they got some production out of Gafford. Been really impressive early. If he competes in conference play the Hogs will be pretty good.

He looks good but the NBA right now is binging on big men who can stretch the court and that isn't Gafford. I'll wait to guess his NBA stock until I see him versus conference play.

BoarnSupremacy

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on November 19, 2017, 10:53:54 am
It's early but....Freshman of the year consideration of both SEC and NCAA If he keeps pace?

Definite possibility.  Freakish touch and lateral movement for a 6-11 guy.  Not many like him

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: tncbg on November 18, 2017, 07:43:57 pm
He's got all of the physical gifts, but not close to NBA ready.  He will need to develop his jumper and his handles so he can put it on the floor and get to the basket. He's more athletic than Portis, but can't step out and shoot it yet. Talk of him being NBA ready is premature, but I'm sure glad he's on our team.
While I think he needs two years maybe a third. He is in his 3rd game and he dunked all over Fresno. He is so talented two years is probably what we will get. His talent is off the charts and he will get stronger. But the NBA drafts players all the time for their talent alone and he's got that. Plus he seems to have a great attitude and work ethic. I love how hard he plays and how he runs the court. And he is not afraid they roughed him up Friday Night and he just competed like crazy. He plays all parts of the game boys he's special.

AlmaHog2011

It's early but....Freshman of the year consideration of both SEC and NCAA If he keeps pace?

IMO he will be up for any freshman award. His improvement since HS is amazing. Kid is working and his team mates seem to love him. I love how Bailey, Hall and Jones compete also. They are talented as well. Just can't wait to get back up there and watch them again. We will have some stinkers but this team will win a bunch and be a threat in the NCAA Tourney.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Pinto on November 19, 2017, 07:19:12 am
...or he can develop that with the elite trainers in the NBA after they realize that he has potential to do so. He will be a top 20 pick at end of the year but will most likely stay to be lottery pick the year after
IMO you are pretty much on target. That seems to be the path he is on.

Smithian

In the SEC, I think it will end up being one of the Alabama guards. They're stacked. Nationwide, you have to look at Bagley.

Let's see Gafford versus some high major competition before we decide he is the next Portis. Even if he slows down, I think he is perfect for what we need, which is defensive rim presence and rebounding. Barford and Macon will score some points, but Gafford will go a long way in filling the hole left by Kingsley on the defensive end.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Smithian on November 19, 2017, 08:52:57 am
Said before the season this team has the potential to be pretty good if they got some production out of Gafford. Been really impressive early. If he competes in conference play the Hogs will be pretty good.

He looks good but the NBA right now is binging on big men who can stretch the court and that isn't Gafford. I'll wait to guess his NBA stock until I see him versus conference play.
I hope you're right, and I'm not just being selfish. I don't think being a one and done is beneficial for anyone not named Calipari. I think three years is a bit much to hope for, but I would like to see him stay for two, at least.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Letsroll1200

Daniel Gafford game reminds me of Jarrett Allen from Texas last season.

BigBrandonAllenFan

The kid has the makings of being one of those few and far between types.

imtad16

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 19, 2017, 01:00:13 am
Being NBA ready has very little to do with being drafted these days. The soft touch combined with his freakish athleticism will turn a lot of scouts heads.

The combination of length and athleticism it takes to finish by dunking up and under from the other side of the rim is jaw dropping.

imtad16

Does anyone think he will be 1 and done?

FineAsSwine

Quote from: imtad16 on November 19, 2017, 04:18:26 pm
The combination of length and athleticism it takes to finish by dunking up and under from the other side of the rim is jaw dropping.
Hogs up! Covid down!

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: imtad16 on November 19, 2017, 04:19:47 pm
After reading the opinions of some people on here who know way more about the pro's than I do, I'm hopeful that he won't be, but I'm still not convinced. If he continues to play at this level or higher, I think he'll have a choice to make after this season, though I am convinced that he likely won't be a lottery pick. Hopefully he comes back for another year or two so he can be.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 19, 2017, 03:57:01 pm
I'm thinking you're surprised by his offensive skill set down low? Didn't think he had some of the moves he's shown. I seen a lot of this stuff first hand when those Wildcats whooped on my Cardinals the whole time he was there.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hawgball40

One thing about Daniel Gafford that most of ya'll don't know, he is extremely humble, down to earth, and accessible. If you are from Arkansas and follow him on twitter, he will follow you back. If you tweet at him, he will reply. He's also polite, respectful of others and speaks like he has been educated. Go check out his twitter if you don't believe me.

Fan701

Quote from: imtad16 on November 19, 2017, 04:19:47 pm
I don't think there is any mock draft for 2018 with Gafford in it, but I guess that could change.

razobak

Just rewatched the Fresno game highlights (Thanks Jborohog!). Over the four minute stretch from 10:30 to 6:24 in the second half, he scored 11 straight points for us on 5 dunks and a free throw. Also he had several rebounds, and one blocked shot that should've been 2 had Beard not gotten called for a touch foul. He single handedly kept our lead from diminishing until the game was well in hand. Like another poster said, he's got that instinct around the basket where he KNOWS where the rim is and goes right to it. No double- and triple-pumping. No getting his shot blocked by the underside of the backboard. No getting it stripped by a helping guard because he had the ball too low. Just, boom, get position, get the ball up high, go straight to the rim with it and finish. Strong. 

Additionally, he showed some pretty polished post moves against 1-on-1 defense earlier in the first half. We've all been saying it since the beginning of the year, but once he figures out how to consistently stay out of foul trouble, he could very well be SEC Freshman of the Year and all-SEC. His ceiling is so astronomically high, I can't wait to watch him develop.
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

Grizzlyfan

hawgball40

Gafford will be a lottery pick by the end of year, but I bet he will come back for his sophmore year. Just a hunch on my part, i don't know him or have any sources. Just to me he seems like the type who would want to stay another year.

Pinto

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 19, 2017, 03:57:01 pm

More like Robert Williams at A&M

Fan701

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 21, 2017, 04:10:40 pm
Gafford will be a lottery pick by the end of year, but I bet he will come back for his sophmore year. Just a hunch on my part, i don't know him or have any sources. Just to me he seems like the type who would want to stay another year.
You might be right, but if the draft were today, it appears he wouldn't go even in the second round, according to mock drafts I've seen.  Of course, that could change if he keeps having games like he did against Fresno.  Since he is starting the season outside the top 60 players for the draft, it might take him the whole season to work his way up, could be only next year he'd become a first rounder, so my guess is we'll have him for two years at least, but that could be my wishful thinking.  A great season and a deep tournament run and he might be gone.