Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema post practice PC

Started by ricepig, April 22, 2017, 01:34:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

I mustache you a question

Quote from: nohuddle on April 24, 2017, 11:43:21 am
Ok I usually do this every year, don't post much, but I usually come on after seeing some spring practices and give you a high school coaches take on what this team looks like to me.  Take it for what its worth, just one guys opinion. 

Hate to say this guys but I am not real impressed.  Now understand.  When you watch practice, you have no idea how it is set up.  Could be the offensives first time seeing movement from the defense, defenses first time seeing this scheme or that.... so its easy to make one side or the other look bad and us not have an understanding of the reason why that is.  That being said, Qb's look good in 1 on 1 and 7 on 7, not so good in 11 on 11.  Most of that is because it appears they have no confidence in, nor should they, the protection they are going to receive. I hinted at this last year, I see it more now... we have issues on both fronts. We are SMALL at linebacker.  Doesn't mean that can't get job done, but eventually an LB has to take on blocks... that would be a scary thing for us.  WR's appear talented, but can't get lined up.  That may be a springball install thing, or it may not be.  I know we have good RBs.  But that doesnt matter if our line hasn't improved tremendously.  Honestly, I don't see that kind of improvement. 

I hope they are better.  I am a Razorback fan and want them to be good.  From what I have seen, I don't see it.  But it is April and there's time to improve..... but I have watched all the SEC spring games on TV... and what i see compared to what I see from the Hogs is scary.   Again, one guy's take.
That one statement alone discredits your entire take for me.
"I have 2 weapons; my arms, my legs and my brain." – Michael Vick

PorkSoda

Again, one guy's take.
Thanks for the take, as an out of stater the only time I will get to see the team is this saturday when I watch the spring game on tv.

at this point, I'm sure they are throwing a lot of new stuff at them on both sides of the ball, so I don't really expect us to be running smooth right now.  I'm sure they will nail down things in fall practice the best they can.  we will probably start slow as we usually do, but I think we have enough talent and fight on this team to win some games, so I'm not going to worry.  Just going to enjoy the ride from my couch like I do every year.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

factchecker

I hinted at this last year, I see it more now... we have issues on both fronts.

When did you hint at this last year?

Also, when you call our linebackers SMALL do you mean height?  Because I wouldn't consider the following small:

De'Jon Harris    6-0   255
Giovanni LaFrance 6-1 255
Kyrei Fisher 6-2 235
Dwayne Eugene 6-1 235
Randy Ramsey 6-4 230
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: factchecker on April 24, 2017, 03:37:58 pm
When did you hint at this last year?

You haven't posted since 2014 and seemed like you were Peavy fan more than anything.

That's a pretty good catch, right there.
Go Hogs Go!

daBoar

Quote from: I mustache you a question on April 24, 2017, 03:03:36 pm
That one statement alone discredits your entire take for me.
One could argue that Greenlaw is short; not sure he's small.

factchecker

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 24, 2017, 03:41:49 pm
That's a pretty good catch, right there.

He might be legit..... it's the internet so I have no reason to second guess anyone.  I just wondered why he was referencing posts that he never made.

It should also be noted that I have a reason to be skeptical.

There have been posters claiming to have stats that don't exist and others flat out disappear after being proven wrong:

Exhibit A - http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=626823.0
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: daBoar on April 24, 2017, 03:42:32 pm
One could argue that Greenlaw is short; not sure he's small.

6'0" (or maybe 5'11" in reality) isn't tall BUT Greenlaw hasn't been practicing anyways.  The coach wouldn't have seen Dre at linebacker during the times he's been at practice.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: factchecker on April 24, 2017, 03:44:11 pm
He might be legit..... it's the internet so I have no reason to second guess anyone.  I just wondered why he was referencing posts that he never made.

There have been posters claiming to have stats that don't exist and others flat out disappear after being proven wrong:

Here is what I know without the knowledge of post spring weights or heights.

We came into the spring with our collective group of LB's (18 walk-ons and scholarship players) averaging almost 6-2 and 231 lbs. each. That isn't large, but it sure isn't small. And if we want to drill down to scholarship players, they certainly weigh more, though they may not be much taller on average, if any. In any case, I would take OLB's at 6-2, 230 and ILB's at 6-2/6-3, 230-240 any day of the week. This is the biggest group of LB's I've seen at Arkansas in a while and certainly the deepest group, without the addition of former DE's.
Go Hogs Go!

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 24, 2017, 04:03:55 pm
Here is what I know without the knowledge of post spring weights or heights.

We came into the spring with our collective group of LB's (18 walk-ons and scholarship players) averaging almost 6-2 and 231 lbs. each. That isn't large, but it sure isn't small. And if we want to drill down to scholarship players, they certainly weigh more, though they may not be much taller on average, if any. In any case, I would take OLB's at 6-2, 230 and ILB's at 6-2/6-3, 230-240 any day of the week. This is the biggest group of LB's I've seen at Arkansas in a while and certainly the deepest group, without the addition of former DE's.

I'd be curious to see their shuttle times. Lateral speed is going to be important b/c teams will use the field horizontally to neutralize blitz packages.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on April 24, 2017, 04:11:07 pm
I'd be curious to see their shuttle times. Lateral speed is going to be important b/c teams will use the field horizontally to neutralize blitz packages.

And that is something that none of us know short of watching them perform drills in videos, which of course, doesn't provide a laser timer.
Go Hogs Go!

FANONTHEHILL

The LBs move much better than in the past.  Of course they've had to go inside out or start outside and go outside in in the 4-2-5 the last couple of years.  In practice and drills the improved flow and quickness is evident.  They is also a much greater emphasis on body position in relationship to the offense.  Inside/outside shoulder, reading first steps and maintaining leverage and so on.
This has made containment and sealing the edge look totally different from last year. 

Also in regard to Greenlaw.  He's running on the hydro treadmill and should be on a solid surface in a month or so.  His upper body has gotten huge (since that's the only weight work he can do).  He weighs 230.  I assume that's accurate since I asked, "Dre, what do you weigh?" and he said,"230". 

It will be nice to see Jamario in that group.  He's a unique athlete at 6'5", 252.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

a0ashle

I think the "small linebacker" criticism is just a hold over from years past. When people thought we needed 250+ thumpers to compete against Pro-Style Bama. Everyome is now spread offense.

factchecker

Giovanni LaFrance:

De'Jon "Scoota" Harris:

Dwayne Eugene:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hoghearted

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 23, 2017, 12:21:19 pm
Arkansas might not be settled at the Hog LB position all season, unless somebody like Jamario Bell, Gabe Richardson or David Porter is a huge surprise in August. And those guys look just like Michael Taylor.

Arkansas had Chris Smith and Trey Flowers, quick pass rushers who could beat the left tackle and get to the QB. After them, the Hogs went two seasons without any speed rush from the blind side. Now they have three players who could fit that role, and they have switched to the 3-4 where those players are more like tweeners without a role.

Taylor was moved back to defensive end because he felt uncomfortable in a two-point stance. But I'd expect to see Richardson and Porter at linebacker not end. Taylor should be there too, but whatever.

Arkansas has everything it needs to play the 3-4 except that big, hybrid LB/end they call the Hog. Jamario Bell is back on defense to play the Hog, for now. If you went solely on promise, Bell would be the player you'd choose for this role.

Bell was moved from 4-3 defensive end because he was not physical enough. He was making strides at tight end but faced a lineup of players ahead of him. Bell might have been the only tight end on the list with the speed to play outside linebacker. And the Hog position has no waiting line. In truth, Randy Ramsey is the best player available at both outside linebacker spots.

Most of the time, Arkansas might not even have the Hog LB on the field. Most opponents will be in spread formations with at least three wide receivers. That also means Arkansas might not be punished much if it plays smaller men at one of the defensive end spots - if blockers are usually backpedaling.

Football coaches are caught between what they played and learned + what they are playing against. What does base defense even mean anymore? At Arkansas, it's required only when the Hogs have to match up against themselves.

good perspective. Thanks for a reasonable, rational post.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

bennyl08

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 23, 2017, 12:21:19 pm
Arkansas might not be settled at the Hog LB position all season, unless somebody like Jamario Bell, Gabe Richardson or David Porter is a huge surprise in August. And those guys look just like Michael Taylor.

Arkansas had Chris Smith and Trey Flowers, quick pass rushers who could beat the left tackle and get to the QB. After them, the Hogs went two seasons without any speed rush from the blind side. Now they have three players who could fit that role, and they have switched to the 3-4 where those players are more like tweeners without a role.

Taylor was moved back to defensive end because he felt uncomfortable in a two-point stance. But I'd expect to see Richardson and Porter at linebacker not end. Taylor should be there too, but whatever.

Arkansas has everything it needs to play the 3-4 except that big, hybrid LB/end they call the Hog. Jamario Bell is back on defense to play the Hog, for now. If you went solely on promise, Bell would be the player you'd choose for this role.

Bell was moved from 4-3 defensive end because he was not physical enough. He was making strides at tight end but faced a lineup of players ahead of him. Bell might have been the only tight end on the list with the speed to play outside linebacker. And the Hog position has no waiting line. In truth, Randy Ramsey is the best player available at both outside linebacker spots.

Most of the time, Arkansas might not even have the Hog LB on the field. Most opponents will be in spread formations with at least three wide receivers. That also means Arkansas might not be punished much if it plays smaller men at one of the defensive end spots - if blockers are usually backpedaling.

Football coaches are caught between what they played and learned + what they are playing against. What does base defense even mean anymore? At Arkansas, it's required only when the Hogs have to match up against themselves.

I remember when a certain mod on here was absolutely adamant that Smith and Flowers weren't speed rushers. That even Bequette wasn't a speed rusher. Arguing that you had to run at least in the 4.6's to be considered a speed rusher. Flowers ran a measly 4.9 forty. According to that poster, it would be asinine to label him a quick pass rusher.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 24, 2017, 09:40:07 pm
I remember when a certain mod on here was absolutely adamant that Smith and Flowers weren't speed rushers. That even Bequette wasn't a speed rusher. Arguing that you had to run at least in the 4.6's to be considered a speed rusher. Flowers ran a measly 4.9 forty. According to that poster, it would be asinine to label him a quick pass rusher.

Man, you are confused as hell.
[CENSORED]!

gchamblee

Quote from: factchecker on April 24, 2017, 03:44:11 pm

TY for that link, that was worth the read :)

nohuddle

I caught some grief for my post in this thread.  I am putting it back up here now, like I said, I don't post much, but usually give my take on where they are after I see them practice in the spring.  I'll stand by what I posted last spring.

zane

Quote from: nohuddle on September 25, 2017, 06:53:34 am
I caught some grief for my post in this thread.  I am putting it back up here now, like I said, I don't post much, but usually give my take on where they are after I see them practice in the spring.  I'll stand by what I posted last spring.

Congrats!!

You've won a major award!
RIP LSUfan

onebadrubi