Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What did you grill/Smoke this week???

Started by BR, July 15, 2012, 08:42:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BR

Be busy cooking all sorts of stuff...
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

ImHogginIt

Frying up catfish today. Monday evening will grill ribeyes and Tuesday I'l smoke some ribs. Back to work on Wednesday  :(

99toLife

Quote from: Joetown Parrothead on March 24, 2013, 09:28:57 am
Be busy cooking all sorts of stuff...

You getting any snow up there today, I'm getting hammered again.. I used to like the snow but this is getting OLD.

BR

Quote from: 99toLife on March 24, 2013, 10:52:35 am
You getting any snow up there today, I'm getting hammered again.. I used to like the snow but this is getting OLD.
We only got 4-6, not too bad. Threw out a lot of grass seed yesterday.. Latest cooking photos.  I'm not around this page too much anymore. Thought I would drop in.

http://s158.photobucket.com/user/pote05/library/Facebook/Tiki%20Bar%20Oysters?page=1

99toLife

Quote from: Joetown Parrothead on March 24, 2013, 11:25:25 am
We only got 4-6, not too bad. Threw out a lot of grass seed yesterday.. Latest cooking photos.  I'm not around this page too much anymore. Thought I would drop in.

http://s158.photobucket.com/user/pote05/library/Facebook/Tiki%20Bar%20Oysters?page=1

Don't care what they say on TV but we have about 7-8 inches of snow right now.

And the food pics are cruel...   awesome , but cruel!  ;D

DeltaBoy

We are trying to grill Yard Bird and Burgers on a regular basis .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 27, 2013, 11:19:20 am
We are trying to grill Yard Bird and Burgers on a regular basis .

I caught a sale at Kroger's and bought 32 16 oz ribeyes so I'll be grilling every other weekend I'm off work for a while.  :D

DeltaBoy

Quote from: ImHogginIt on March 27, 2013, 05:26:39 pm
I caught a sale at Kroger's and bought 32 16 oz ribeyes so I'll be grilling every other weekend I'm off work for a while.  :D

Cool !
Last night I grilled Chicken Breast and made Italian season chicken breast and finished it with Alfredo Sauce and Italian Green Beans with ham and Hawaian Rolls!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

DeltaBoy

We had gumbo cooked over an open pit fire and in a large cast iron pot. It was good.

ImHogginIt

Took the ribs and brisket off at 4 pm and will finish the brisket in the oven. Then I put some split chicken and pork tenderloins on. Chicken should be done around 7 pm and pork around 8

Boarcephus

We took it easy this weekend.  Bought a couple nice filets from Fresh Market and threw them on the egg along with with 4 of the cold water lobster tails we picked up at FM.  Throw in a baked potato and a couple ears of corn, not a bad meal.

Since I had the egg fired up, went ahead and smoked a 3 1/2 pound turkey breast smothered in Bacon and Molasses rub and threw some mesquite chips on after I had finished my first cook.   Smoked it at 225 for about 3-4 hours
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 07, 2013, 07:57:26 pm
We took it easy this weekend.  Bought a couple nice filets from Fresh Market and threw them on the egg along with with 4 of the cold water lobster tails we picked up at FM.  Throw in a baked potato and a couple ears of corn, not a bad meal.

Since I had the egg fired up, went ahead and smoked a 3 1/2 pound turkey breast smothered in Bacon and Molasses rub and threw some mesquite chips on after I had finished my first cook.   Smoked it at 225 for about 3-4 hours

Sounds Good.

Boarcephus

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 08, 2013, 09:12:12 am
Sounds Good.

Delta, if you like lobster, the ones FM sells are great.  You can buy a 4 for $25 on Fridays the month of April and those things on the egg are great.  I baste them with a garlic butter and cook around 325 or so.  They're Maine lobsters and not the other kind.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Iamphatman

Guys, I tried smoking some country ribs this last weekend.  They were edible, but not as amazing as I had hoped.  It comes from the same cut as a pork butt, so I figured it would be similar.  They were actually pretty tough.  Any good recipes or tips for smoking the country ribs?  I've done them in the crock pot and they were good, but haven't been able to make them come out right on the smoker after a couple of tries.  Any ideas?

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Iamphatman on April 08, 2013, 01:32:32 pm
Guys, I tried smoking some country ribs this last weekend.  They were edible, but not as amazing as I had hoped.  It comes from the same cut as a pork butt, so I figured it would be similar.  They were actually pretty tough.  Any good recipes or tips for smoking the country ribs?  I've done them in the crock pot and they were good, but haven't been able to make them come out right on the smoker after a couple of tries.  Any ideas?

Probably have to smoke them for an hour or so then wrap them in foil with a little liquid and let them cook for a while longer.  I don't really care for country ribs unless I'm cooking them in crock pot. 
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

bigstyx

Quote from: Iamphatman on April 08, 2013, 01:32:32 pm
Forgive me in advance. I know this is a smoker based thread. As a proud owner of a Big Green Egg and two other smokers, I am about to blaspheme. When it comes to country ribs (of which I'm not much of a fan), you truly may get your best results in a crock pot. I'd give them one more shot, perhaps using some foil, lowering your temps, and using a baste or mop. If your results don't improve, go back to the crock pot when making country ribs and leave the smoking to the ribs cut the way God intended, and to baby backs.

VBRazorback

Grilled up some nice thick juicy steaks for the family. They didn't leave a single piece if that tells you anything.

Iamphatman

Quote from: bigstyx on April 08, 2013, 05:59:19 pm
Forgive me in advance. I know this is a smoker based thread. As a proud owner of a Big Green Egg and two other smokers, I am about to blaspheme. When it comes to country ribs (of which I'm not much of a fan), you truly may get your best results in a crock pot. I'd give them one more shot, perhaps using some foil, lowering your temps, and using a baste or mop. If your results don't improve, go back to the crock pot when making country ribs and leave the smoking to the ribs cut the way God intended, and to baby backs.

I thought about smoking them for an hour or two and then putting them in the crock pot.  It just seems like they need the moisture to keep from drying out, and the smoker doesn't do so well with that. They are pretty fatty though, so that's why it surprised me that they were a bit on the dry side.  And the fat didn't seem to render away like it does with other pork I've smoked.  They were kind of tough and fatty at the same time.  Kinda weird. 

Boog41

Quote from: Iamphatman on April 09, 2013, 09:33:04 am
I thought about smoking them for an hour or two and then putting them in the crock pot.  It just seems like they need the moisture to keep from drying out, and the smoker doesn't do so well with that. They are pretty fatty though, so that's why it surprised me that they were a bit on the dry side.  And the fat didn't seem to render away like it does with other pork I've smoked.  They were kind of tough and fatty at the same time.  Kinda weird. 

Smoke them on your BGE at 300 degrees for about 1.5 hours. Then wrap in foil and cook another hours This will accomplish everything you are wanting.

Iamphatman

Quote from: Boog41 on April 10, 2013, 11:38:28 am
Smoke them on your BGE at 300 degrees for about 1.5 hours. Then wrap in foil and cook another hours This will accomplish everything you are wanting.

sweet.  Thanks!

jacobp

when it comes to country style ribs, I find them to be best when grilled relatively quickly instead of smoking them.

Iamphatman

Quote from: jacobp on April 10, 2013, 01:29:39 pm
when it comes to country style ribs, I find them to be best when grilled relatively quickly instead of smoking them.

I've tried that too, but they were a bit fatty for my taste.  I like smoking fattier cuts because it renders the fat down. 

sooieet

I smoke country style ribs for about 2 hrs and they come out tender, juicy, and very flavorful. I either marinade them with Wickers beforehand, or just coat with a good rub.

BR

Tearing up all sorts of food...Smoked Oysters, Pulled Pork, Baked Beans. Chicken bombs, Smoked Mac & Cheese.....   Life is good today...

hoosier

Regarding country style ribs- It must be the way they are butchered. I fix them all the time on my egg and they are very tender and flavorful. Very lean cut. Just a thin layer of fat on one side and a little fat on one end. I've done them slow at about 215F for about 3 to 3-1/2 hours and faster at about 300F. Always turn out good.

DeltaBoy

kibster

Firing up the smoker for the first time in a while. Been so busy with school and work that I haven't had the time.

Just put garlic spikes and a rub on a pork butt. Going to use some apple wood I got from my father recently.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

HuntinHog

My family shows up big for turkeys.  In the past three days I've done the following:

Double batch of gumbo.

Breakfast for 10 twice.

Shrimp boil for 15.

Burgers and homestyle fries for 15.

About 8 pounds of baked chicken for the picky people.

Fried and sauteed about 40 morels found by the turkey hunters.

And on two occasions the fry daddy was fired up for a few bream some of the kids caught.  Then it turned in to a few hours of "lets see what taste good deep fried in beer batter."

That's a good weekend.

bigstyx

Quote from: HuntinHog on April 22, 2013, 06:43:22 pm
My family shows up big for turkeys.  In the past three days I've done the following:

Double batch of gumbo.

Breakfast for 10 twice.

Shrimp boil for 15.

Burgers and homestyle fries for 15.

About 8 pounds of baked chicken for the picky people.

Fried and sauteed about 40 morels found by the turkey hunters.

And on two occasions the fry daddy was fired up for a few bream some of the kids caught.  Then it turned in to a few hours of "lets see what taste good deep fried in beer batter."

That's a good weekend.

Sounds fantastic, but no wild turkey???

HuntinHog

Quote from: bigstyx on April 22, 2013, 07:48:31 pm
Sounds fantastic, but no wild turkey???

No, for that many cousins I stick with beam.

(insert drum joke icon)

BR

Post Photos with your cooking......... Let us all see everyone's handy work...

Also share some of your recipes on My Facebook food page please.. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/60665301904/

DeltaBoy

DeltaBoy

Chicken tenders soaked in Italian Dressing on the Grill then vel peppers and yellow onion cooked on the Grill using my 8 inch cast iron skillet.

Murr

Quote from: BR on April 13, 2013, 09:04:30 am
Tearing up all sorts of food...Smoked Oysters, Pulled Pork, Baked Beans. Chicken bombs, Smoked Mac & Cheese.....   Life is good today...

What are chicken bombs?

kibster

Got a brisket on the smoker. About to throw some ears of corn on there as well.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

99toLife

Tim Harris

I grilled up a tri tip and some brats this afternoon.  Tri tip was a great dinner and the brats should make for some good lunches this week.

ImHogginIt

Ribeyes yesterday and Buffalo Chicken today

kibster

I tried the Myron Mixon high heat method for the brisket.  I was very skeptical that it would work, but it turned out great.

HuntinHog

New cast iron skillet.  "Already seasoned" is a load of garbage...

kibster

Quote from: HuntinHog on June 05, 2013, 10:26:26 pm
New cast iron skillet.  "Already seasoned" is a load of garbage...

Estate sales and antique malls are the only place to get cast iron.

BR

5 1/2 pounds of Lobster, 3 pounds of Scallops, 3 pounds of Shrimp.... DAMN good eats. 

ImHogginIt

Today 2 racks of pork spare ribs and have two 8 lb pork butts still smoking. Hope to pull them off in about 1 hour

Boarcephus

Took it easy this weekend.  Grilled a couple filets on the  egg but made a big batch of Shrimp Creole I plan to dive into all week.

bigstyx

Smoked two whole chickens on the egg. Usually cook at 300, but dropped it down to 225. Took quite a bit longer, but even more tender and juicy. Definitely worth the additional time.

old hog

Grilled up a bunch of chicken parts with apple wood then slathered them with Sweet Baby Ray's sauce. Took 5 beers and a couple shots of tequila to get thru it. 7 teenagers at the house wiped them out within half and hour. Caught the dang kids even licking the pan.

DeltaBoy

3 pounds of Chicken tenders soaked in Italian salad dressing, 1 pound of hamburger with Tiger sause,and a pound of Ball Park Frank's. It is Wed and it all gone and I cooked it Monday afternoon on the Weber.

bigstyx

Chicken Bombs on the egg tonight. First time trying the recipe, turned out AWESOME!!!

bigstyx

BTW 99, thanks for posting the Chicken Bomb recipe. It's definitely made the permanent rotation. Mrs. Styx doesn't let me write recipes in her "special" book, but made an exception tonight...

Tim Harris

I did a couple pork butts early this morning and they are now in the oven finishing up.  Now I've got some chicken pieces on the smoker that should be done soon.