Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reed vs Hill

Started by outlawhogeywells, February 04, 2015, 12:16:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Quote from: HogInFlorida on February 04, 2015, 01:46:01 pm
KJ Hill was IMO the most polished receiver this year, and I watched a lot of WRs tapes. He had elite quickness with good speed, great hands and great physicality, while also running great routes. He would have been the best WR we have signed in a LONG time. It's silly to act like we're better off without him just because he has a crazy stepdad. Does nobody remember Alex Collins' mom?

No, we aren't better without him. But we did pick up Dominique Reed, LaMichael Pettway, and Deon Stewart. I think we will be just fine without him.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 04, 2015, 01:19:52 pm
I honestly think Reed fits more of what we need than Hill. KJ plays more of the same position as JoJo and Cornelius. We needed that big play threat that would be catching the playaction deep pass. At 6'4" with legit 4.4 speed, I think Reed is the better fit.

(although I think KJ is the better player)

That's my thought. We have a better version of KJ in JoJo, who got to redshirt last year and still has four years. Reed fits a definite need, brings immediate outside speed that with our run/play action game is deadly. ESPN insider scouting had a great eval of him. Not a polished route runner, lacks a developed route tree, but will likely be an instant impact performer for his vertical route.

There are guys who make a living in the NFL based on one route and God given speed. Reed has that, not to mention great size, which makes him all the more valuable. I'm not knocking the other cat who didn't commit, but I see his ceiling being in college. He'll likely be a really solid college receiver for tOSU, but all that "playmaking" he did in high school takes more speed to accomplish at the next level. He's never going to develop into a burner, which means with his average size, he's going to need Joe Adams toughness to be successful. Reed brings the most coveted asset in football, size and speed.

Sure he's older and had more time, but don't overlook the fact that Reed is a 4 star on ESPN and rated 25th best Juco prospect.

reddogjcss

COMMON VS UNCOMMON. We will know in next few years. It will have to play out. Hope our UNCOMMON REED blows hill out of the water. Hope we got the next star receiver!

BOAR_N2BWILD

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 04, 2015, 12:17:47 pm
Anyone who wants to be a hog > anyone who wants to be a Buckeye
^^^^^ This
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

The_Iceman

Dudley E. Dawson ‏@Dedsports

Coach B: Dominique Reed was our number one target at the WR position that could change the game for us

DoggtownHog

KJ Hill was IMO the most polished receiver this year, and I watched a lot of WRs tapes. He had elite quickness with good speed, great hands and great physicality, while also running great routes. He would have been the best WR we have signed in a LONG time. It's silly to act like we're better off without him just because he has a crazy stepdad. Does nobody remember Alex Collins' mom?
Amen. KJ is super talented we're just all butthurt at the moment. Let him go.
How stupid a man is depends on where he's standing.

Jamie Jones

I don't give a rat's if he's 6'4 or 5'8, with his speed, there won't be many on the defense that can catch him. Granted the size makes him a bigger target, but once he has the ball, goodnight!
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

Been10Hog

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 04, 2015, 02:22:48 pm

Coach B: Dominique Reed was our number one target at the WR position that could change the game for us

MB Hog

Quote from: PaintballHog on February 04, 2015, 12:17:54 pm
The better player right now? Reed.

Which will be the better player for their senior season? Well Hill has 4 years to develop while Reed only has 2, so I don't know.
I'll take the better player now.  This gives us immediate help and time to find more receivers in future classes.

Sivad

Reed.
Wait till Montrose starts tweeting rants about Urban Meyer not showing his meal ticket the love.

MB Hog

Who knows how Hill and his family will work out in the long run for tOSU, but the Collins' and Hill's guardian issues don't really compare.  Collins' mom gave us a one-day scare.  Hill's step-dad was a consistent problem.

MB Hog

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Sivad on February 04, 2015, 02:51:22 pm
Reed.
Wait till Montrose starts tweeting rants about Urban Meyer not showing his meal ticket the love.

It's going to be funny when that happens.

wachhog

Quote from: ZERO on February 04, 2015, 01:47:12 pm
I'm honestly still sour about losing Hill. He was a terrific player at a position of dire need. We would have finished in the top 20 for sure had he stayed. Nonetheless, this happens at least once every year, and we just have to do what we've always done - move on and focus on the replacement we found. Reed seems like a real baller and I have no doubt he'll contribute.
Agree. And, be honest:  BB is going to have to prove that wide receivers will have a chance to shine in his offense; until then the K.J. Hills are unlikely to come.  Maybe Hill got the feeling that Chaney left because BB's philosophy did not include showcasing running backs AND wide receivers. Maybe BB will prove him wrong this coming year.  Time will tell.

Donny2665

KJ Who? Never heard of her.
This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

ricepig

I liked it when Bielema said he's seen 6'2"-6'5" on recruiting sites, he said he's not 6'5" but sure isn't 6'2" haha. He also said he had real long arms, and of course, fast.

Großer Kriegschwein

Master Sergeant tOSU fan says we'll see if he makes it. Lots of drama going along with it.

Coach said Reed was our #1 target at WR.
This is my non-signature signature.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on February 04, 2015, 03:10:26 pm
Master Sergeant tOSU fan says we'll see if he makes it. Lots of drama going along with it.

Coach said Reed was our #1 target at WR.

What does that mean?  Meaning Hill may not end up at OSU?

navyhog24

who?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 04, 2015, 03:12:01 pm
What does that mean?  Meaning Hill may not end up at OSU?

I'm pretty sure he was referring to baggage. See if he actually shows up to play or fizzles out after all the drama.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: DoggtownHog on February 04, 2015, 02:26:40 pm
Amen. KJ is super talented we're just all butthurt at the moment. Let him go.

I couldn't be less butthurt that a kid didn't sign with us. I don't care where they are born, how amazing they are, if they don't want to play at Arkansas, that's fine with me. There are plenty of kids who do and I don't see WR being a problem position for us anytime soon.

We've got Hatcher to lead next year, with a very exciting player in JoJo, and Cornelius who showed good things. Reed brings the only thing missing, game changing size/speed combo.

Next up will be Jones, who is a complete, elite #1 to go with Reed, Cornelius, and JoJo. We have depth behind them in slot receivers, this is not a position of need. Factor in that O'Grady and Henry can line up wide in certain formations and we have even less of a need.

Oh and those other two kids Pettway and Stewart? They're both pretty good too.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on February 04, 2015, 03:16:55 pm
I'm pretty sure he was referring to baggage. See if he actually shows up to play or fizzles out after all the drama.

I wouldn't be shocked.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 04, 2015, 03:19:52 pm
I wouldn't be shocked.

And honestly, he didn't even turn his head to discuss it at all. Said it and then started talking about other recruits. More specifically the one they missed Hjalte.

reddogjcss

Karma has a way of making one say Dang Karma

reddogjcss

Most likely cause he's in Jr. collage

The_Iceman

duckman

Quote from: ijustpork on February 04, 2015, 01:33:52 pm
Reed wanted to play for the hogs, hill didnt. Enough said regarding who is better.

Montez looks good in his otato state gear...rent must be cheap in ohio.

Not as cheap as NLR....

HOGKING

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 04, 2015, 03:37:24 pm
Must be a glitch. It counts 10 4-stars at the top, but only lists 9. I'm sure they are counting:
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/203913/dominique-reed

Probably so. didn't notice that.

duckman

Here is what we will have on the field next year provided Reed takes care of business which I am sure he will:

Reed (4 star) - 6'3" 175-180 lbs, 4.36 40
JoJo (4 star) - 6'0" 185lbs.  4.41 40 (Last years' numbers probably better now)

add Hatcher (3 star, 4.5), Cornelius (3 star, 4.5) and the best TE class in the nation and I am pretty sure we have upgraded and added the ability to stretch a defense....

WoooPig

Pig In The City

We need a player who can come in and start now. Reed is that guy.  We can get a four year project next year.

duckman

Quote from: Pig In The City on February 04, 2015, 04:02:32 pm
We need a player who can come in and start now. Reed is that guy.  We can get a four year project next year.

JoJo is going to light it up too.

Cresthog

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 04, 2015, 02:22:48 pm

After KJ spurned us?

How convenient. Dudley really breaks some awesome news these days. Does he even get paid anymore?

ricepig

Quote from: Cresthog on February 04, 2015, 04:07:42 pm
After KJ spurned us?

How convenient. Dudley really breaks some awesome news these days. Does he even get paid anymore?

Umm, it was Coach Bielema in his PC, we get it, you're cool......

Cresthog

Quote from: ricepig on February 04, 2015, 04:17:57 pm
Umm, it was Coach Bielema in his PC, we get it, you're cool......

I dig the coach and the class but buying that Reed was #1 all along? Not going to happen with me, believe what you want, I just don't follow coaches into burning buildings etc, no matter how well they've done.

Woopig69

Quote from: Cresthog on February 04, 2015, 04:19:54 pm
I dig the coach and the class but buying that Reed was #1 all along? Not going to happen with me, believe what you want, I just don't follow coaches into burning buildings etc, no matter how well they've done.
we have a "realist" right here!

ml2200

Did a Hog fan actually go to a NLR bball practice and talk to KJ about going to Fayetteville?  Schapp kept saying that on the radio today.  Said a caller into every show did this.  Please tell me someone isn't that crazy?

ricepig

Quote from: Cresthog on February 04, 2015, 04:19:54 pm

What do you expect him to say?

PorkRinds

Quote from: ml2200 on February 04, 2015, 04:28:33 pm
Did a Hog fan actually go to a NLR bball practice and talk to KJ about going to Fayetteville?  Schapp kept saying that on the radio today.  Said a caller into every show did this.  Please tell me someone isn't that crazy?
If they did that, they're crazy.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 04, 2015, 04:38:50 pm
If they did that, they're crazy.

Quote from: ml2200 on February 04, 2015, 04:28:33 pm

I have group of names to be investigated.

Cresthog

Quote from: ricepig on February 04, 2015, 04:30:27 pm
What do you expect him to say?

I'm not going to nitpick but the sour grapes stuff kinda irks me.

It's over though, we got a good one, you're right. I'm just not into the shots being taken left and right with absolutely ZERO evidence to back it up.

ricepig

Quote from: Cresthog on February 04, 2015, 04:42:09 pm
I'm not going to nitpick but the sour grapes stuff kinda irks me.

It's over though, we got a good one, you're right. I'm just not into the shots being taken left and right with absolutely ZERO evidence to back it up.

I don't know who was the #1 WR on their board, only the coaching staff can answer that. Bielema said it in his PC, but he could have been lying through his teeth.

RedyorNot

Quote from: sickboy on February 04, 2015, 12:36:17 pm
You hire the person... not the resume.

In this case, I believe we got both.

Hogarusa

None of you have any way of knowing the answer.  The only logical thing to say is since Reed is a Hog he wins.  There's not a lot of athletes out there who get to choose between Bama and Ohio State as their school of choice. 
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

ricepig

Quote from: Hogarusa on February 04, 2015, 04:53:50 pm
None of you have any way of knowing the answer.  The only logical thing to say is since Reed is a Hog he wins.  There's not a lot of athletes out there who get to choose between Bama and Ohio State as their school of choice. 

Brian Wallace
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Brian-Wallace-143794

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: ZERO on February 04, 2015, 01:47:12 pm
I'm honestly still sour about losing Hill. He was a terrific player at a position of dire need. We would have finished in the top 20 for sure had he stayed. Nonetheless, this happens at least once every year, and we just have to do what we've always done - move on and focus on the replacement we found. Reed seems like a real baller and I have no doubt he'll contribute.

He went to a Big10 school instead of a SEC West program.  I would feel so much more bitter if it were Ole Miss/Bama
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

jackflash

Its NSD we now know who are Razorbacks. These are the kids I will be cheering for. Wish the others the best. Their fans can cheer for them.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on February 04, 2015, 12:16:20 pm
Did we get a better player in Reed vs what Hill is?
Sorry but I honestly can't even begin to guess until/unless Reed actually makes it to campus. If he doesn't qualify the arguments/debates won't matter. Sorry to be the bearer of such reality........ :-\

ArmyOfnobunaga

I think I'm the only one here that said I didn't want either. One is slowish and catches too many with his body and the other has two years.

Would have rather taken a last minute three star offensive lineman or another linebacker.

If you stuck a knife to be about the two I would have to give the nod barely to kj. Other than the same example you guys keep tossing here ,duke, juco wrs don't typically make huge impacts. We will see.

That being said there is no doubt reed has the speed quickness and soft hands it takes to be a big time reciever and I'll be as cheering as loud as any of you with him.
There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.     -Some guy named Will