Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reed vs Hill

Started by outlawhogeywells, February 04, 2015, 12:16:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRazorback500

February 04, 2015, 06:09:30 pm #100 Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 07:40:14 pm by TheRazorback500
Quote from: ricepig on February 04, 2015, 04:49:37 pm
I don't know who was the #1 WR on their board, only the coaching staff can answer that. Bielema said it in his PC, but he could have been lying through his teeth.
EK Franks backed it up on the radio this afternoon. He said that Reed was a field-stretcher and had soft hands and great hand-eye coordination.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

ChiTown27

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul
can always depend on the support of Paul."

George Bernard Shaw

hogcard1964

Quote from: opineonswine on February 04, 2015, 12:22:00 pm
In terms of character, I'll take a genuine person over an apparent drama queen/flake any day of the week.  In terms of on-the-field production, I guess we'll find out soon.  I like our chances.

Well said.

kp72204

Quote from: opineonswine on February 04, 2015, 12:22:00 pm
In terms of character, I'll take a genuine person over an apparent drama queen/flake any day of the week.  In terms of on-the-field production, I guess we'll find out soon.  I like our chances.
In all fairness(not to make an apology), did we cover Reed out of high school or has he been humbled by going JUCO route? Whose to say the "receiver we shouldn't even be talking about anymore" wouldn't have been had things went a different way. Lets just think positive for awhile and see where that takes us!

Seminole Indian

February 04, 2015, 06:18:05 pm #104 Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 05:28:37 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: outlawhogeywells on February 04, 2015, 12:16:20 pm
Did we get a better player in Reed vs what Hill is?
Yes!! If you get him.

Your class compared to any FBS Class outside in the SEC West.......outstanding.

SEC West .............not that bad.

Just keep a soft OC schedule , and beat the SEC East teams on your  schedule and you should be OK for a winning season overall and  a 500 SEC record, and a bowl game.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: ricepig on February 04, 2015, 04:49:37 pm
I don't know who was the #1 WR on their board, only the coaching staff can answer that. Bielema said it in his PC, but he could have been lying through his teeth.
Agreed,

what else would BB say?  I doubt BB would get up there and say, "Man, we are happy to have Dominique Reed as a part of our team.  He was our #2 target at the WR position.  We lost our #1 to another program."   

BB did what all coaches do. He expressed how happy he is with the players that he got.  And that is no different that what any other coach does at the end of signing day. 

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

It would have been nice to get BOTH, but since we only got one, I'll take the one who wants to be a Hog.

I haven't a clue whether Reed will make his JC grades, but that will be a determining factor.

And let's not pretend Hill is "slowish". 4.4 may not be world class, but there are PLENTY of NFL wideouts who couldn't/can't run 4.4 including some guy named Rice. Didn't see him get caught from behind often.

Hill won't likely reach Jerry Rice status, but how many have?

Having said that, again, I would love to have had both, but that ship has sailed, better to talk about the ones we got.

I won't be rooting for Hill going to the conference that can't count, playing for a lying phony, but don't wish him any harm either...

I wonder what all those self-righteous Little 10 fans who whine about SEC oversigning are saying about Suburban Liar and his 27 signees?
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

snoblind

Quote from: Cresthog on February 04, 2015, 04:42:09 pm
I'm not going to nitpick but the sour grapes stuff kinda irks me.

It's over though, we got a good one, you're right. I'm just not into the shots being taken left and right with absolutely ZERO evidence to back it up.

You're the one calling the coach a liar with ZERO evidence to back it up.

Pigstie

I'm not sure it really matters. One of the reasons Hill flipped was JC leaving, which placed question marks with our offense.  If you believe Mike Irwin...and I have no reason not to, he has been told  that "Bielema wants a running game so dominant that when they throw the ball they won't need somebody with an NFL arm or 4.3 receivers that can burn a secondary."  I hope I'm wrong but if our offensive playbook shifts even more to the run in the future, we may find ourselves limited with the 4 star QBs' and WRs'.
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

Pudgepork

Coach BB had that type of running game at Wisconsin but from the games I watched, they still threw the ball quite  a bit. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Cresthog on February 04, 2015, 04:19:54 pm
I dig the coach and the class but buying that Reed was #1 all along? Not going to happen with me, believe what you want, I just don't follow coaches into burning buildings etc, no matter how well they've done.

Would you rather have a kid that really wants to be here and believes this is the best place for him or have a kid of equal/less/better talent that isn't sure that this is the best place for him or not?

Forget about being an "Arkansas kid" and loyalty to the state brand and all that stuff. That isn't my point at all. I want the very best talent that we can land that truly wants to be here because he is invested from day one and believes this is where he should be (despite outside pressure and influence) to not only develop his talents at his position, but because he "feels at home" when he is here, whether he is from Arkansas, Florida, Denmark, Texas or California.

I think we landed who is best for us going forward.
Go Hogs Go!

NorCalRazorback

Here is the POV from a dude that played QB:

- IF I have 2 receivers in the Z, and one is 6'4", I know that I can take more risks with him than one that is 6'2".  I also know that he is easier for me to find and usually a matchup problem for a DB.  I also know that I can count on him to win any jump ball against a safety or corner.

-IF I have 2 receivers that have 4.35 sprees and 4.45 speed, I know that I can throw longer routes and they can run under the ball.  Now with that speed and that that 6'4" frame, and with  a 40" vertical leap... I take a whole lot more chances with him.

Finally the advantage of a guy that has the stats Reed has, and two years of Juco experience is that he isn't going up against any weakness like you face in High School...so he has picked up some CRITICAL experience.

I would rather have REED any day.
"...and Decori Birmingham has caught it in the back of the end zone to tie it at 20 all with 9 seconds left..." 

Miracle on Markham '02
Arkansas 21 LSU 20

ArmyOfnobunaga

I hate people in general more than any of you, I am a mean ass cynical person, I am a guy that doesn't give a frack if 3000000 of you down vote me this instant .... but ... but...  I think that CBB is being honest that Reed was number one since about a month ago.

I actually believe him.

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.     -Some guy named Will

reddogjcss

As much contact as coaches have with recruits Coach B and staff had to know getting KJ was 50/50 at best. They are very good judges of  charatter and they always develop a relationship with parents. Even call parents by name. I'm sure they knew way way more about situation than we did.
I'm also sure they would want Reed as #1 if he could get grades straight. Reason is we need a break away wide receiver that can play right now.
I figure it was not long into recruiting they had KJ family figured out.
Figured if we can get two lets do it and you got to give it your very best effort to get all in state players that are good enough to play for Razorbacks. If not the supporting fan base would go nuts.

Pigstie

Quote from: Pudgepork on February 04, 2015, 07:18:44 pm
Coach BB had that type of running game at Wisconsin but from the games I watched, they still threw the ball quite  a bit.
I guess it depends on how you define "threw the ball quite a bit".  JC left for the same job at Pitt.  He did that for a few reasons. He wanted to pass more than CBB, being one of them. My point in this thread is that it really isn't going to matter if we don't get the 4 star WR. We are not going to run the type of offense that maximizes them.
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

reddogjcss

One really good one will open up run game and WR will get plenty of touches.

razorbackkid

Reed is the man because he chose to be a Hog, that other fellow may be great too, but he ain't wearing the jersey that says ARKANSAS.

I have many high hopes for Reed....not so much for the non Hog.

We'll have to wait and see what happens. 
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

reddogjcss

Reed will be UNCOMMON.
That other fellow just common

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ArmyOfnobunaga on February 04, 2015, 08:03:18 pm
I hate people in general more than any of you, I am a mean ass cynical person, I am a guy that doesn't give a frack if 3000000 of you down vote me this instant .... but ... but...  I think that CBB is being honest that Reed was number one since about a month ago.

I actually believe him.

I do believe that you believe Bielema, but TMI. I mean, true confessions? Not needed. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

SPAL

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 04, 2015, 04:38:50 pm
If they did that, they're crazy.

Pork rind jimmy is known for this type of behavior. I'll bet he hid in some bushes and blitzed Nutt....er, KJ after he left the broyles....er, gym.

ArmyOfnobunaga

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 04, 2015, 08:41:49 pm
I do believe that you believe Bielema, but TMI. I mean, true confessions? Not needed. ;)

its was a validation that the worst you (the rational logical) is actually optimistic.

Take it how you want it.... years past i was the most negative of negative.
There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.     -Some guy named Will

Mick Hogger

If anyone walked onto a high school campus and didn't have an official reason to be there, they'd probably be arrested I'd think.

It was also nice to stick it to Texas one more time to get Reed.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Seminole Indian on February 04, 2015, 06:18:05 pm
Yes!! If you get him.

Your class compared to any FBS Class out in the SEC West.......outstanding.

SEC West .............not that bad.

Just keep a soft OC schedule , and beat the SEC East teams on your  schedule and you should be OK for a winning season overall and  a 500 SEC record, and a bowl game.

[attachment deleted by admin]
This is my non-signature signature.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Mick Hogger on February 04, 2015, 08:47:13 pm
If anyone walked onto a high school campus and didn't have an official reason to be there, they'd probably be arrested I'd think.

It was also nice to stick it to Texas one more time to get Reed.

I think that Reed will be a very productive receiver for us. Opponents wil not be able to ignore this guy. I am hoping that Enos will maximize his ability, heighth and speed to mesh with our overall philosophy. Utilizing him should allow us to take some pressure and concentrated coverage off of Hatcher and provide Hatcher and Reed with more opportunities to be open, as well as that of our other receivers.

The addition of Reed, if he plays as adverstised, could help open up our entire offense to a greater degree. We need 10-14 more points per game, assuming that our defense doesn't lose any ground from last year.
Go Hogs Go!

Cave City Joe

What we need is speed at the edge.  Reed fills the bill and wants to be a hog.  Just hope he qualifies or we missed on both.
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Cave City Joe on February 04, 2015, 08:58:42 pm
What we need is speed at the edge.  Reed fills the bill and wants to be a hog.  Just hope he qualifies or we missed on both.

The Hog staff has done their part, it is up to Reed to do his part now to make sure he is here in June.
Go Hogs Go!

Piggfoot

Both look to be great receivers. Reed had two years to show the pros if he has it.
Hill may think he is good enough to go pro in 2-3 years. Football teams are year to year. If we get good play from Reed we'll just have to find a replacement sooner than with Hill or maybe not. Think Philon.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Sir Oinksalot

I was a hill fanboy, I'll admit it...but now with these beasts and this kid Reed......

I'm a whole person again...the new OC, He's got to be on cloud 9 as Rob must be as well...

I'm so happy for these coaches, getting what they need...

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

HogWildBison2011

We shouldn't have to say the word hill unless it is in reference to "Our Hill in NWA" or as a geographical marker. Just the same as we don't ever care for two nickels, or Braizer. Those are no longer in the Arkansan dictionary. No ill will to them but lets enjoy these young men that want to be hogs. Good night everyone!  ;)

arlhog

I hate losing our instate talent as much as anyone, but it sure seems like the coaching staff put more into getting hill than it did reed so i would say the staff thought more of hill.   That being said,  we got Reed and he  was coveted by a lot of good schools so he's not just some scraps.   I'm happy we got him.  There is a reason that bama and tosu didn't go after reed  but did what it took to get hill.  The best people in the business wanted Hill more than Reed.  Plain and simple.

duckman

Quote from: arlhog on February 04, 2015, 10:04:42 pm
I hate losing our instate talent as much as anyone, but it sure seems like the coaching staff put more into getting hill than it did reed so i would say the staff thought more of hill.   That being said,  we got Reed and he  was coveted by a lot of good schools so he's not just some scraps.   I'm happy we got him.  There is a reason that bama and tosu didn't go after reed  but did what it took to get hill.  The best people in the business wanted Hill more than Reed.  Plain and simple.

4 years versus 2, Bama and OSU don't need immediate JUCO help at WR.  We did, so did Texas.

passinghog

To me, it's not a Hill vs Reed thing. Looking at our WR class, each one of our guys compliment each other perfectly. Each of them seem to have an elite trait about them. Can you say the same about Hill? I can't.

Wild Bill Hog

Hill is eligible.  Reed isn't - yet anyway.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

3 pages make me wanna puke..!

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.