Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Urban Meyer vs. Dan Mullen in handling violence against women

Started by IronMountainHog, July 19, 2016, 11:20:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

IronMountainHog

I really disliked Urban Meyer, but he is twice the coach and man that Dan Mullen is. MSU's big recruit punches a girl on the ground, on video and is suspended 1 game. Ohio State is informed their running back punched his girlfriend, and he is dismissed from the program permanently. Even Stoops suspended Mixon 12 games at OU. Mullen is a doosher and I hope we kick the crap out of them this year.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/dismissed-ohio-state-rb-brionte-dunn-accused-of-hitting-girlfriend/ar-BBuxiRE

onebadrubi

Quote from: IronMountainHog on July 19, 2016, 11:20:02 pm
I really disliked Urban Meyer, but he is twice the coach and man that Dan Mullen is. MSU's big recruit punches a girl on the ground, on video and is suspended 1 game. Ohio State is informed their running back punched his girlfriend, and he is dismissed from the program permanently. Even Stoops suspended Mixon 12 games at OU. Mullen is a doosher and I hope we kick the crap out of them this year.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/dismissed-ohio-state-rb-brionte-dunn-accused-of-hitting-girlfriend/ar-BBuxiRE

I still can't believe the MSU situation. I can't believe the coach lets him on the team, can't believe the Ad does, can't believe the president lets him on campus, then can't believe the sec office lets him on an sec team.

sickboy

Yeah, the MSU thing is weird. I just don't get how it's not getting more attention. I hope it does come season time. That guy shouldn't be allowed to play football.

onebadrubi

Quote from: sickboy on July 19, 2016, 11:44:56 pm
Yeah, the MSU thing is weird. I just don't get how it's not getting more attention. I hope it does come season time. That guy shouldn't be allowed to play football.

It's to fit people's agenda.  Just like letting a starting left tackle play after getting busted with weed and a stolen gun but suspending a back up for getting a dui (didn't he also run?). 

I mean if that doesn't just illustrate what we always say as a joke, if bama cheats they will just get rid of UAB...

AugustaHog

Eh, let's not give Ol Urb too much credit.  He turned a blind eye to some pretty crazy things from Aaron Hernandez and we see where that has gotten us.  I'm guessing he really had no other choice in this matter.  Mullen is a joke though.  Just another coach selling his soul for a few Ws.  This just reeks of the sliminess of The Great People Hepper himself. 

factchecker

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/mississippi-state-coach-dan-mullen-delivers-tone-deaf-explanation-jeffery-simmons

QuoteOf all the jersey numbers, Simmons was listed as No. 36 on Mississippi State's official roster released this week – a stunning decision, considering the meaning of that number to that program. It belonged to former Bulldog Nick Bell, who died of cancer in 2010.

No one has worn No. 36 at MSU since the end of that season, when players took turns donning it to honor Bell. And now it belongs to Simmons?

"That's not finalized yet," Mullen said.

He should've just stopped there. But the man apparently can't help himself.

"With retired numbers," Mullen said, "I learned this as a young coach at Syracuse University, where it's a very special honor to wear the number 44, the best way you can honor numbers is by having people wear them."

Dan, you really can't hear yourself, can you?

So not only is Mullen "thrilled" to have Simmons, not only is he serving a paltry penalty, not only does the Bulldogs' coach believe that the women of his family are immune to violence, but this guy thinks his freshman woman-slugger might be worthy of "a very special honor."
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ZERO

Mullen should have left for a better program last year or the year before. His stock is plummeting.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

3kgthog

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 19, 2016, 11:32:44 pm
I still can't believe the MSU situation. I can't believe the coach lets him on the team, can't believe the Ad does, can't believe the president lets him on campus, then can't believe the sec office lets him on an sec team.

You knew someone would post this (with some changes):

"I want to emphasize once again that the main reason I'm doing this is that I refuse to ruin the life of one young man who has spent his adolescence and his teenage years, working and sweating, while we were all home in the air conditioning."

ZERO

The sad truth is Mullen is competing with one of the country's toughest schedules year-in and year-out, and he's doing so at major disadvantages in recruiting soil and program brand. Ohio State showed that guy the door because they could afford to let him go - and they looked like upstanding citizens in the process. OSU can take a horrible situation like that and turn it into almost a positive. Are you really conceding that Urban Meyer would have done this if his cup wasn't runneth over? The same Meyer from Florida? Mullen is hanging onto that guy because he knows that even though the expectations are a little more flexible at MSU, it's still an SEC school that wants to win. They're now expecting him to post decent seasons.

At least when we got rid of Petrino for being crap, we did so when we kind of couldn't afford to. He was the only truly winning coach we've had since Hatfield... and that was nearly a 25 year gap for anyone counting.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

The_Iceman

I don't blame Mullen for not kicking him off the team, because we know Gus or Freese would open their arms to him in a second and call it God's forgiveness or some crap. But one game is a little ridiculous. Half the season would have been appropriate IMO, or even a full year to redshirt and get counseling.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 20, 2016, 08:10:41 am
I don't blame Mullen for not kicking him off the team, because we know Gus or Freese would open their arms to him in a second and call it God's forgiveness or some crap. But one game is a little ridiculous. Half the season would have been appropriate IMO, or even a full year to redshirt and get counseling.

If one is basing their discipline decisions based on a fear someone else might take advantage of that decision then one shouldn't be in a position of making a disciplinary decision.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bigdaddyhawg

Like someone above said, don't give Urban too much credit.

He and OSU are very high profile in today's media.  He's smart and he knows he can't get away with much.

Mullen, on the other hand, is in freaking STARKVILLE MISSISSIPPI!!  He's so far from high profile you can't see it with a telescope.

IMO, therein lies the difference.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: ZERO on July 20, 2016, 01:03:55 am
Mullen should have left for a better program last year or the year before. His stock is plummeting.

He's tried, hasn't he?  It's seemed like to me he's thrown his hat in most openings that would be a step up from MSU.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

The_Iceman

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 20, 2016, 08:18:23 am
If one is basing their discipline decisions based on a fear someone else might take advantage of that decision then one shouldn't be in a position of making a disciplinary decision.

If SEC or NCAA decides to not let him play, that's fine. But what is the point of kicking someone off of your team and letting some other team just pick him up? Wouldn't it be better for the kid to actually discipline him? That would be like a parent disciplining a child by making them go to their room, but their room has a tv and xbox.

Keeping the kid in house with the coaches that recruited him and actually care about him makes more sense to me. Get him in counseling and make him work his way back on to the team. Actually discipline the kid and rehabilitate him. Don't give him a one game suspension. Don't kick him off the team. Make him go to counseling, make him attend groups on abuse towards women, make him apologize, make him miss games, etc.

The_Iceman

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 20, 2016, 08:36:58 am
He's tried, hasn't he?  It's seemed like to me he's thrown his hat in most openings that would be a step up from MSU.

Not really. Mississippi State is building the facilities around him. He is getting paid very nicely. And his job security is very good. MSU is happy with a bowl game every year (6-8 wins). Reasonable expectations. I think he is comfortable there.

King Kong

go hogues

Quote from: ZERO on July 20, 2016, 01:10:08 am
The sad truth is Mullen is competing with one of the country's toughest schedules year-in and year-out, and he's doing so at major disadvantages in recruiting soil and program brand. Ohio State showed that guy the door because they could afford to let him go - and they looked like upstanding citizens in the process. OSU can take a horrible situation like that and turn it into almost a positive. Are you really conceding that Urban Meyer would have done this if his cup wasn't runneth over? The same Meyer from Florida? Mullen is hanging onto that guy because he knows that even though the expectations are a little more flexible at MSU, it's still an SEC school that wants to win. They're now expecting him to post decent seasons.
This.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

dhizzle

I think most people just have a problem with the one game suspension. He shouldn't play any games this year and lots of physical exhaustion.

Hogs33

Quote from: dhizzle on July 20, 2016, 09:00:20 am
I think most people just have a problem with the one game suspension. He shouldn't play any games this year and lots of physical exhaustion.

I agree with this. 1 Year suspension (NO Redshirt) at least.
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 20, 2016, 08:46:09 am
If SEC or NCAA decides to not let him play, that's fine. But what is the point of kicking someone off of your team and letting some other team just pick him up? Wouldn't it be better for the kid to actually discipline him? That would be like a parent disciplining a child by making them go to their room, but their room has a tv and xbox.

Keeping the kid in house with the coaches that recruited him and actually care about him makes more sense to me. Get him in counseling and make him work his way back on to the team. Actually discipline the kid and rehabilitate him. Don't give him a one game suspension. Don't kick him off the team. Make him go to counseling, make him attend groups on abuse towards women, make him apologize, make him miss games, etc.

Man, your logic is way screwed up.

By your thinking if ANYBODY is doing something, that justifies you doing it -- always headed toward the lowest standard of human behavior.

A cop kills an unarmed kid who was resisting arrest? Well, then it's okay for you and your thugs to go out and assassinate 10 cops.

I seriously doubt if you or anyone else wants to live their lives according to this standard.  Except those insane animals at BLM.

The_Iceman

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 20, 2016, 09:39:47 am
Man, your logic is way screwed up.

By your thinking if ANYBODY is doing something, that justifies you doing it -- always headed toward the lowest standard of human behavior.

A cop kills an unarmed kid who was resisting arrest? Well, then it's okay for you and your thugs to go out and assassinate 10 cops.

I seriously doubt if you or anyone else wants to live their lives according to this standard.  Except those insane animals at BLM.

What the frick are you talking about?!?!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 20, 2016, 09:45:53 am
What the frick are you talking about?!?!

So you want me to explain your own post to you?

But what is the point of kicking someone off of your team and letting some other team just pick him up? Wouldn't it be better for the kid to actually discipline him?

The_Iceman

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 20, 2016, 10:32:15 am
So you want me to explain your own post to you?

Your comparisons were way out of line and did not relate much as at all. How does assassinating cops and black lives matters relate to how college football coaches discipline players?

My point was, if a kid like this messes up, actually discipline him. What is the point of a parent saying you are grounded from everything fun in this house, but its ok to go across the street to Johnny's house and play whatever over there? What is actually helping and rehabilitating the kid?

I don't believe a one game suspension was appropriate, at least half of a season was needed, along with counseling and therapy on how to respect and treat women. But kicking him out of school, just for him to be picked up for some slime-ball coach like Malzahn or Freese isn't helping the kid either. If the NCAA would attach a manadory suspension for that player wherever he goes, that might make more sense to me.

onebadrubi

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 20, 2016, 10:38:58 am
Your comparisons were way out of line and did not relate much as at all. How does assassinating cops and black lives matters relate to how college football coaches discipline players?

My point was, if a kid like this messes up, actually discipline him. What is the point of a parent saying you are grounded from everything fun in this house, but its ok to go across the street to Johnny's house and play whatever over there? What is actually helping and rehabilitating the kid?

I don't believe a one game suspension was appropriate, at least half of a season was needed, along with counseling and therapy on how to respect and treat women. But kicking him out of school, just for him to be picked up for some slime-ball coach like Malzahn or Freese isn't helping the kid either. If the NCAA would attach a manadory suspension for that player wherever he goes, that might make more sense to me.

Keep in mind, his family came out and said they made Mullen/MSU promise no punishment because other schools would take his commitment and no punish him.  I believe they even named the schools.

The_Iceman

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 20, 2016, 10:55:27 am
Keep in mind, his family came out and said they made Mullen/MSU promise no punishment because other schools would take his commitment and no punish him.  I believe they even named the schools.

I did not remember this. Shameful if true. Doesn't surprise me that parents that would do something like that would raise a child that would grow up to beat a woman.

But it just highlights the need for the NCAA and/or the SEC to review these cases. Some type of punishment should attach to a player if he is kicked out of school or transfers.

bphi11ips

Jeffery Simmons may deserve to be punished, but Hogville and society in general appear in this case to apply a one-size-fits all strict liability standard to hitting a woman.  These videos put the case in context:

If all you see is the second video, then Simmons' and his sister appear to gang up on a defenseless woman.  But when you watch the first video, you see that Simmons' sister and the woman he hit were engaged themselves in an extended fist fight.  You also see Simmons' trying to break up the fight without success and without excessive force. 

Now, did Simmons use excessive force in defending his sister in the second video?  Arguably so.  Probably so.  But how many of you would want your son standing idly by and watch their sister get the worst end of a fight, even with another female?  We don't know from these two videos, which are all that I found on-line, what happened between the end of the first video and the beginning of the scene where Simmons and his sister both attack the woman on the ground.  I do think it's safe to assume the sequence in the first video occurred first. 

In any event, I think most will agree, even if grudgingly so, that there is a difference between punching out your girlfriend or a woman in a bar and defending your sister after trying to break up a fight.  Especially when we're talking about a teenager amid a crowd cheering on a fight his sister is involved in. 

This is one time where it seems to me a kid needs a break.  I wonder what Hogville would say if the shoe were on the other foot.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

The_Iceman

I guess what those videos show, is the loose definition of the word women. Yuck.

I would never hit a girl, a lady, or a woman. I might hit someone who is physically a female, but resembles or presents themselves with nothing resembling such.

dhizzle

To much gray area in the world today. I'm a black or white kind of guy. I have a simple and very certain opinion about the situation. He hit a woman or girl, I don't care what happened before or after. He's a pretty big dude if he wanted to stop the fight without punching he could have. He should have been suspended for the season and some sort of counseling.

jkstock04

Urban has an easier road. 4 & 5 star players grow on trees at Ohio State. Mississippi state? Not so much. They are in the same boat as us when it comes to blue chip talent.

Point being its a lot easier for Urban Meyer to kick a star player off the team than it is for Dan Mullen. Don't kid yourself...Urban Meyer = lying snake in the grass. I'll never forget his departure from Florida...family, health...lol what a joke.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Inhogswetrust

I think we actually agree once he is IN the program. My point was in my opinion the discipline Mullen handed down was not strong enough. Yet if it had been strong enough then potentially the player might have left the program only to be possibly picked up by another. A person in a disciplinarian position should not be held hostage by what might happen.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jkstock04

Quote from: dhizzle on July 20, 2016, 11:29:05 am
To much gray area in the world today. I'm a black or white kind of guy. I have a simple and very certain opinion about the situation. He hit a woman or girl, I don't care what happened before or after. He's a pretty big dude if he wanted to stop the fight without punching he could have. He should have been suspended for the season and some sort of counseling.
I wouldve agreed with this up until a couple months ago...I was in the harps parking lot in my truck about to leave and all the sudden I see this late teens early 20s girl come running through the parking lot full speed towards this guy about the same age. He never saw her coming...lol I had a front row seat for this.

She jumps on his back piggy back style and proceeds to claw his face/eyes as he went to the ground...I mean bloody murder brutal style. Then begins to punch him in the face as he is still on ground in the defensive position. Finally he manages to get up and pops her a couple of decent ones to the face...the second one layed her flat and she quit coming after him. He shouted some expletives with blood running down his face while she sat there crying...and he turned away and walked off.

Now, I don't know what he did before hand or if he "deserved" that or not. But I'm saying, if some random woman I didn't know came up and attacked me like that I guarantee I'm not going to take it, he took way more than I would have.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

dhizzle

Quote from: jkstock04 on July 20, 2016, 11:47:44 am
I wouldve agreed with this up until a couple months ago...I was in the harps parking lot in my truck about to leave and all the sudden I see this late teens early 20s girl come running through the parking lot full speed towards this guy about the same age. He never saw her coming...lol I had a front row seat for this.

She jumps on his back piggy back style and proceeds to claw his face/eyes as he went to the ground...I mean bloody murder brutal style. Then begins to punch him in the face as he is still on ground in the defensive position. Finally he manages to get up and pops her a couple of decent ones to the face...the second one layed her flat and she quit coming after him. He shouted some expletives with blood running down his face while she sat there crying...and he turned away and walked off.

Now, I don't know what he did before hand or if he "deserved" that or not. But I'm saying, if some random woman I didn't know came up and attacked me like that I guarantee I'm not going to take it, he took way more than I would have.

I have no problem with a man defending him self from a woman if she is going bat crap crazy on him. Either way the dude will get made fun of for getting smacked around by a woman or ridiculed for hitting a woman.

Hogwild

Urban Meyer and Dan Mullen are cut from the same cloth.  When they were together at Florida they recruited criminals. Urban Meyer won 65 games at Florida and had 31 players arrested for felonies. Aaron Hernandez was never suspended at Florida, Tony Joiner was charged with breaking into an impound lot to retrieve his girlfriend's towed car and resisting arrest, he played that week against LSU. They had so many arrest at Florida under Meyer that the Orlando paper created a database just for the team's arrest. Makes you wonder what Cam Newton really did to get kicked out off the Gator team.

QuoteJenkins, the cornerback, eventually left Florida for North Alabama after Meyer's successor, Will Muschamp, dismissed him from the team after marijuana arrests, also had a previously been charged with resisting arrest said in an interview

"If Coach Meyer were still coaching, I'd still be playing for the Gators," he was quoted as saying. "Coach Meyer knows what it takes to win."

Rison Razor Hog

Quote from: Hogwild on July 20, 2016, 12:16:34 pm
Urban Meyer and Dan Mullen are cut from the same cloth.  When they were together at Florida they recruited criminals. Urban Meyer won 65 games at Florida and had 31 players arrested for felonies. Aaron Hernandez was never suspended at Florida, Tony Joiner was charged with breaking into an impound lot to retrieve his girlfriend's towed car and resisting arrest, he played that week against LSU. They had so many arrest at Florida under Meyer that the Orlando paper created a database just for the team's arrest. Makes you wonder what Cam Newton really did to get kicked out off the Gator team.

IIRC, Cam was having an honor violation type of academic hearing and quit before that body rendered judgement on him, so Urban Meyer did not make a call on Cam leaving.
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

PorkRinds

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 20, 2016, 11:11:34 am
Jeffery Simmons may deserve to be punished, but Hogville and society in general appear in this case to apply a one-size-fits all strict liability standard to hitting a woman.  These videos put the case in context:

If all you see is the second video, then Simmons' and his sister appear to gang up on a defenseless woman.  But when you watch the first video, you see that Simmons' sister and the woman he hit were engaged themselves in an extended fist fight.  You also see Simmons' trying to break up the fight without success and without excessive force. 

Now, did Simmons use excessive force in defending his sister in the second video?  Arguably so.  Probably so.  But how many of you would want your son standing idly by and watch their sister get the worst end of a fight, even with another female?  We don't know from these two videos, which are all that I found on-line, what happened between the end of the first video and the beginning of the scene where Simmons and his sister both attack the woman on the ground.  I do think it's safe to assume the sequence in the first video occurred first. 

In any event, I think most will agree, even if grudgingly so, that there is a difference between punching out your girlfriend or a woman in a bar and defending your sister after trying to break up a fight.  Especially when we're talking about a teenager amid a crowd cheering on a fight his sister is involved in. 

This is one time where it seems to me a kid needs a break.  I wonder what Hogville would say if the shoe were on the other foot.

Just don't. My sister would have to take her azz beating before I'd punch a woman. Not only that the fight was over and the girl was on the ground! Stop making excuses

southeasthog

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 20, 2016, 10:55:27 am
I didn't hear anything about that. This happened after signing day so he couldn't just "commit" somewhere else if he was punished. He have to ask out of his LOI and sit out at least one year depending whether or not it was granted.

aloha_kid

OSU player was on campus since January 2012.  MSU signee was still in high school not on campus.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

At the risk of being very unpopular, I wish that sports programs would get out of the business of being morality police.

Let the punishment come from the school if they so desire and let the legal system do its job.

I say this regardless the coach or program.

It's become ridiculous with the outrage cheerleaders dissecting just how "just" the punishment is that was directed from the coach.

Let coach punishment be for stuff that hurts the team or the student/athlete.

BTW, the Miss St. Player is apparently a violent moron.  I'm in no way defending him.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?