Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brewer at the point

Started by carhog, February 12, 2006, 06:54:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

carhog

Last night Brewer ran the point some and he did it well.  This is not the first game that he has run the point in this year.  I wish stan would run him at the point more with eric or Sean at the 2 and pookie at the 3.

Beaverfever

brewer sees the court as well as anyone on the team.  I like him at the point

Boarcephus

There's the rub.  Brewer is your best point guard, your best off guard, your best small forward, and if he wanted to be, your best power forward.   Can't play him at all of them at once.  Due to Jeffersons inadequencies and Seans inexperience, I like having him at PG but he does more good when he's free to roam.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

hogtheball

Quote from: carhog on February 12, 2006, 06:54:31 pm
Last night Brewer ran the point some and he did it well.  This is not the first game that he has run the point in this year.  I wish stan would run him at the point more with eric or Sean at the 2 and pookie at the 3.

I think he looks great at point - it seems to pay off to let him touch the ball every time down the court.  I think he'll play point in the NBA
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

RAZORBART

Move Ronnie to DE where he can excel in rushing the passer.

cardinalhawg

I think playing Brewer at the point may be the best bet.  The team is better off anyway when other guys are stepping up and he isn't having to score as much.  He is not going to be a guy to go out and get 30 plus on a given night, so why not play him at the point and get more offense into the game.

I would not mind to see a lineup of Brewer, McCurdy, Modica, Townes, Hill, or even go real big at times and play Brewer, Modica, Thomas, Townes, and Hill.

TDHog

My only concern is that with Brewer at point (which I also think he would excell) would be that one, he may wear out faster bringing the ball up court against constant pressure and two would he be reduced as a scoring threat with the added responisbilities of PG, and we can't afford to lose any scoring.

cardinalhawg

My hope would be that the reduced scoring that might come from Brewer, would result in extra scoring by having a better offensive player in the game.  I agree, that he would need to alternate some, and let D. J., McCurdy, and Ferguson play there some too, but maybe during the early part of the game and critical stages of the game, let him play the point.  However, he isn't great at beating player off the dribble either, but still the height advantage helps him at the point.

snag

I actually may agree with your contention that Brewer would serve the team best as our point guard. Last night he made 2 or 3 BIG TIME passes - I'm talking Magic Johnson type passes. The only bad thing about him making those kinds of passes is that it increases the possibility that he will be a lottery pick in the upcoming NBA draft. If those guys believe that Ronnie could potentially be the next Magic Johnson, he'll be gone quickly.

Ronnie's skill set DOES remind me of Magic Johnson. The only difference - which is pretty huge - is that Johnson consistently willed his team to victory. Ronnie hasn't shown the ability to do that yet. That's why he needs to stay one more year.  ;D

dotnet

I was thinking Brewer should play point at some point.  The only problem with that is, he seems most effect when going to the basket.  He, also, seems to do that better when he is cutting as opposed to taking his man off the dribble. 

At the same time, he is by far the best passer and playmaker on the team.  I think the offense works better when Brewer can get the ball in his hands while moving.

hoggystyle78

I agree Hogtheball, I think Ronnie will play PG at the next level. His outside shot is not consistent enough to play him at SG. If Ronnie is to make it in the NBA it will be as a point guard. JMO
Quote from: hogtheball on February 12, 2006, 08:32:56 pm
Quote from: carhog on February 12, 2006, 06:54:31 pm

I think he looks great at point - it seems to pay off to let him touch the ball every time down the court.  I think he'll play point in the NBA

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: TDHog on February 12, 2006, 09:55:00 pm
he may wear out faster bringing the ball up court against constant pressure

I dare them to press Ronnie bringing the ball up much.  He will make them pay.  Not by beating them with the dribble(although he could) but by killing them with the outlet pass that DJ won't throw when double or triple teamed in the backcourt
Quote from: TDHog on February 12, 2006, 09:55:00 pm
we can't afford to lose any scoring.

We wouldn't, RB would have the ball more and the opposing teams PG would actually have to respect our PG as a scoring threat therefore not allowing 5 on 4 like we are used to with DJ.  JMHO
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

Topcat

Does it say anything about our basketball program when there's debate about the starting lineup when there's six conference games left?

NATEHOGG216

ya, we are struggling.  Did you just figure that out?
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

Topcat

Nah, had I had it figured out some time ago. But from reading your posts, you haven't. You're talking about lineup changes that aren't going to happen anyway. If these changes were the best for the team, SH couldn't figure it out. He's still in his on-the-job training phase.

NATEHOGG216

I agree.  But Im a fan through and through.  Even if that means me constantly HOPING that SH will get a clue and then getting my hopes crushed.  I am still gonna hope

LA HAWG

I think it could not possibly hurt.

silvertip

Quote from: Topcat on February 13, 2006, 11:15:20 am
Does it say anything about our basketball program when there's debate about the starting lineup when there's six conference games left?

It just might say that we have a lot of options due to a lot of very good players. And since we're trying to find help at point guard, makes me feel good about PG since I think that will be better-manned next year.