Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If BB gets the axe

Started by welchog, November 10, 2017, 04:53:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

welchog

What will the impact be on recruiting?

Are the small number of commits hard to the UofA or BB or their position coach?

Would an early BB exit help considering we get a good/great hire?

I'll hang up and listen.

porkrindjimmy

Get the right coach...ahem...Norvell....and it will improve....

PRJ

ipigsooie

Quote from: welchog on November 10, 2017, 04:53:30 pm

I'll hang up and listen.

I can't say for all of them, but you'd have to think they would be commits to the school as much as anything. They don't live in a bubble and they have to know that a change is inevitable.  That being said, I also know that Norvell has been recruiting several of the kids including Connor Nowland.  I don't think it matters as much with that kid though as I think he wants to be a diamond hog as much as a qb, which is awesome.

Danimal

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 10, 2017, 04:57:43 pm

PRJ
This.

woo.pig

PRJ

Hey PRJ

Do you feel like Norvell will be target #1?

factchecker

1. I don't think IF is applicable anymore.  It's now WHEN.

2.  The impact will probably be greater on the current roster than recruiting.  A change in coaching usually results in a change in philosophy.  There will be some players who might transfer due to style.  That is not necessarily a bad thing.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: woo.pig on November 10, 2017, 05:02:18 pm
Hey PRJ

I believe he is one of Two.

I keep getting this nauseous feeling in my stomach about Gus though.

PRJ

ricepig

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 10, 2017, 04:59:06 pm
I can't say for all of them, but you'd have to think they would be commits to the school as much as anything. They don't live in a bubble and they have to know that a change is inevitable.  That being said, I also know that Norvell has been recruiting several of the kids including Connor Nowland.  I don't think it matters as much with that kid though as I think he wants to be a diamond hog as much as a qb, which is awesome.

I've seen where one recruiting "guru" said he thought at least 6 would stay no matter who the coach was, I'm assuming he was thinking no JLS hire.....

jgphillips3

We have 12 scholarships to offer.  I think Half would be Hogs no matter what.    I think any new coach's ability to improve or hurt this class is pretty nominal.

ricepig

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 10, 2017, 05:04:36 pm
We have 12 scholarships to offer.  I think Half would be Hogs no matter what.    I think any new coach's ability to improve or hurt this class is pretty nominal.

We'll sign 15-18.

farmhawg

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 10, 2017, 05:03:35 pm

PRJ
I hope you just ate something that disagrees with you.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

kodiakisland

Quote from: welchog on November 10, 2017, 04:53:30 pm

I'll hang up and listen.

A possible impact would be recruited Olineman playing on the O line.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

texas tush hog

Quote from: farmhawg on November 10, 2017, 05:12:22 pm
I hope you just ate something that disagrees with you.

Drinking Long Kool-aid.

greenie

PRJ

Not sure why Norvell would perform at recruiting any better than CBB.  Maybe a little excitement about being the new guy, but he'll still be a relative unknown to most recruits...selling his success at Memphis.  I like the guy, and think he *might* make a good HC at Arkansas, but I doubt he recruits any better than CBB...unless he goes all Freeze on us. ;)

Hawg Life

PRJ

You have way more to worry it being Les than Gus. Gus will NEVER coach @ Arkansas

grayhawg

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 10, 2017, 05:22:33 pm
You have way more to worry it being Les than Gus. Gus will NEVER coach @ Arkansas
I've said that for years, now I'm not as sure as I was a week ago.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 10, 2017, 05:22:33 pm

No....I don't because Long isn't going to make the decision this time.

And there are some voices for Gus. The anti Gus people ain't got a dog in the fight this time.

PRJ

LittlePigMan

Someone getting our coach an axe for Christmas? I'd suggest this one.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: greenie on November 10, 2017, 05:18:50 pm
Not sure why Norvell would perform at recruiting any better than CBB.  Maybe a little excitement about being the new guy, but he'll still be a relative unknown to most recruits...selling his success at Memphis.  I like the guy, and think he *might* make a good HC at Arkansas, but I doubt he recruits any better than CBB...unless he goes all Freeze on us. ;)

I think he would recruit the heck out of east Texas.

PRJ

Granny fan

PRJ

You and me both!

LZH

We may have a dry spell for a year or so, then it will pick back up to be where we normally are. Hopefully, a top 15 class every year would be a dream.

Hawg Life

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 10, 2017, 05:38:00 pm
No....I don't because Long isn't going to make the decision this time.

And there are some voices for Gus. The anti Gus people ain't got a dog in the fight this time.

PRJ

The $$$$ doesn't want Gus, so no Gus. We won't be looking backwards. Gus has 0.0%. His name may be floated, but if they beat Georgia, it won't even be floated. Unless, something drastic changes it'll most likely be Norvell or Neal Brown.

grayhawg

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 10, 2017, 05:43:40 pm
The $$$$ doesn't want Gus, so no Gus. We won't be looking backwards. Gus has 0.0%. His name may be floated, but if they beat Georgia, it won't even be floated. Unless, something drastic changes it'll most likely be Norvell or Neal Brown.
Are you sure about $$$ not wanting Gus?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 10, 2017, 05:43:40 pm
Don't be so sure about Gus. He has more support than you apparently realize. And yes, I know a lot of the $$$$.

tlmack

I don't see improvement in whomever is coach is. Even with (in the minds of many) the legendary Bobby P,we stayed in the same mid twenty range we ALWAYS have.

The Hawg Marshal

Some of the money wants Gus.

247Hog

Quote from: woo.pig on November 10, 2017, 05:02:18 pm
Hey PRJ

No he says its Horton and maybe Gus...for now.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

greenie

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 10, 2017, 05:38:45 pm
I think he would recruit the heck out of east Texas.

PRJ

Better than the last 2 or 3 regimes?  I doubt it.  That's the most heavily recruited area in Texas, and I see no reason to be optimistic about an unknown coach being successful out of the gate.  Maybe he'll develop it, but I don't think that'll be the case on day 1... or year 1.  Someone with an immediate recruiting impact is more likely to be someone who has name recognition with a record of success at a big program.  If you look at Long's coaching hires over his career, he goes after big names...and yes, I think he will be the guy doing the hiring if/when there's an opening.  It would be a departure of sorts for him to hire someone like Norvell.  We'll see.  If CBB isn't fired, Hogville will become a fantastic spectator sport.  If he is fired, Hogville is at its best during the hiring process.  It's going to be an interesting next several weeks, regardless.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: ricepig on November 10, 2017, 05:05:35 pm
We'll sign 15-18.

Some transfering for playing time?  Because of staff changes?
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

parallaxpig

noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Hog-Corleone

PRJ

Me too
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

Al Boarland

It may take a dip this cycle, but every coach has recruited about the same.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 10, 2017, 05:48:55 pm
Don't be so sure about Gus. He has more support than you apparently realize. And yes, I know a lot of the $$$$.

There's no scenario where Gus leaves Auburn to come here, but if he's fired it may be mentioned. If he wins against Auburn or Alabama there's no way he'll be fired. Not sure why his name has been mentioned so much lately, nor how he has gained support in the last couple of weeks. Apparently, something has changed. I'd be amazed if it happened. I think he splits the fan base, and other reasons keep him from ever coming here. Time will tell.

greenie

Quote from: Al Boarland on November 10, 2017, 06:07:38 pm
It may take a dip this cycle, but every coach has recruited about the same.

Yep.  The only thing you likely avoid by hiring a big name is the dip.  Bielema did pretty well his first year.

snoblind

Shhh! Shut your mouth!  Think positive thoughts, no negative waves.

That being said, I heard a rumor after a funeral in Fort Smith a few weeks ago.

:-X

Hogindasticks

PRJ

Please don't go there...lol

ricepig

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on November 10, 2017, 06:04:39 pm
Some transfering for playing time?  Because of staff changes?

We currently have 12 commits + 2 blue shirts from last, that equals 14, so that's only 1 to 4 more, not a big turn over.

Mr. Porkleone

I think Gus is 1 and Norvell 1A. Gus has relationships with high schools as does Norvell in state.  I'd be happy with either

scottwillrazbackfan1

60% Gus Malzahn.. The bus is gassed up and headed west for the Ozark mountains.

RockyMtnHog

I don't see Gus coming here.  We do not have the talent that he has at Auburn and it would take too long to rebuild.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

Sundog

I'd take Gus in a heartbeat.  Should have been the hire instead of Bert anyway.

Al Boarland

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on November 10, 2017, 06:48:16 pm
I don't see Gus coming here.  We do not have the talent that he has at Auburn and it would take too long to rebuild.

It would buy him at least 4-6 more years making $4m+. His wife would be closer to family. No one would be trying to run him off for losing to Bama and UGA.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: grayhawg on November 10, 2017, 05:27:19 pm
I've said that for years, now I'm not as sure as I was a week ago.

I just threw up, a little, in my mouth....
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Hogindasticks

Quote from: Sundog on November 10, 2017, 06:49:22 pm
I'd take Gus in a heartbeat.  Should have been the hire instead of Bert anyway.

:o :o :o :o ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :puke: :puke:

tusksincolorado

Mike...I think my Friday night has been ruined.  : (
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Pecos Hog

The good thing is that we are looking at a change.    After this mess of a season I'd take anyone as an improvement.     But the names being tossed around are all great coaches.   I'm happy.    Things are looking up. 

BrianG

Nope don't want Gus.  He can actually win.  Just not our profile.  Lol...what a crowd.

Silver Hog

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 10, 2017, 06:08:36 pm
There's no scenario where Gus leaves Auburn to come here, but if he's fired it may be mentioned. If he wins against Auburn or Alabama t

Be kind of hard for Gus to beat Auburn.

mckinneyhog5

Well, he has been a HC for more then two years and has coached in the SEC. Much better credentials then a C-USA coach who has only been HC for 2 years. I personally don't want Gus but we could do much worse. I don't think he'll be able to repeat what what he did at Auburn but he'll have some good years before he is ran out of Arkansas.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.