Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Things falling in place for ASU

Started by (notOM)Rebel123, March 10, 2013, 09:45:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

(notOM)Rebel123

Middle Tenn. St. Falls in Sun Belt semi's...ASU playing WKY for birth in finals.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

JonClaudeVanHam

We did not need Middle Tennessee State to lose.
"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently." - Nietzsche

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 10, 2013, 09:48:04 pm
We did not need Middle Tennessee State to lose.

Our only chance at the NCAA is winning the SEC Tourney.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 10, 2013, 09:49:39 pm
Our only chance at the NCAA is winning the SEC Tourney.

I'm not talking about the NCAA's. I'm talking about NIT seeding. The more upsets there are, the more regular season conference champs get good seeds in the NIT.
"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently." - Nietzsche

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 10, 2013, 09:51:09 pm
I'm not talking about the NCAA's. I'm talking about NIT seeding. The more upsets there are, the more regular season conference champs get good seeds in the NIT.

I gotcha..

WKU by 5 with 4:20 left in the first half

(notOM)Rebel123

UNCLE BACK

Middle Tenn has no good wins. We will get a better seed than them.

RockChalkJayhawk

(notOM)Rebel123

RockChalkJayhawk

RockChalkJayhawk

Rainmaker203

That was one painful game to watch, and an even more painful final minute.  If Florida International plays tomorrow like they did tonight, they win big.

jbell96

ASU gave that game away at the end. Just an awful way to finish a game.

(notOM)Rebel123

Break & Run

Middle Tennessee did something this year we couldn't...beat Ole Miss.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

J_mac_2403

Quote from: The Mafia on March 10, 2013, 11:39:10 pm
Middle Tennessee did something this year we couldn't...beat Ole Miss.
Aw well good for them!

jry04

Quote from: pridgehog on March 10, 2013, 11:06:46 pm
Middle Tenn has no good wins. We will get a better seed than them.
Possibly, but they did beat Ole Miss  and have a RPI of 28. At 28-5 and a RPI of 28, I bet the selection committee gives them a 1 or 2 seed in the NIT. Who knows, the NCAAT may select them afterall. There are always a few teams that everyone says won't get in since they lost in their conference tournament, and then they steal a bid.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on March 11, 2013, 08:33:26 am
Possibly, but they did beat Ole Miss  and have a RPI of 28. At 28-5 and a RPI of 28, I bet the selection committee gives them a 1 or 2 seed in the NIT. Who knows, the NCAAT may select them afterall. There are always a few teams that everyone says won't get in since they lost in their conference tournament, and then they steal a bid.

How important are ticket sales to the NIT?

jry04

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 11, 2013, 09:25:57 am
How important are ticket sales to the NIT?
Well, the NIT says they no longer factor attendance into the seeding. Before, teams would bid for it and get it based on who the NIT felt would draw the biggest crowds. Now it is strictly based on performance, supposedly. I believe the NIT is actually ran by the NCAA now, so they do it similar to the NCAA selection. However, as we say every year, they are a business and want to make money. If it comes down to two or three teams fighting over a 1 seed, they will probably give it to the team who will bring in more money.

Music City Razorback

Look for ASU to be playing us in the NIT at BWA.  For all you NIT hopefuls, what happens if ASU beats us?  I don't like the NIT and don't want any part of the NIT.  It's not a positive step for us to be in the NIT.
"Sure. I'm proud to be an American."
-Cincinnati Reds rookie pitcher Steve Foster, asked by a Canadian customs agent if he had anything to declare.

jry04

Quote from: Music City Razorback on March 11, 2013, 09:31:58 am
Look for ASU to be playing us in the NIT at BWA.  For all you NIT hopefuls, what happens if ASU beats us?  I don't like the NIT and don't want any part of the NIT.  It's not a positive step for us to be in the NIT.
siiigh.....

Considering we are 18-1 at home this year, I highly doubt ASU will hang with us in BWA. It is also extremely idiotic to say the NIT is not a positive step for us when we have been without postseason for 5 season. Any postseason is a step in the right direction.

Music City Razorback

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on March 11, 2013, 09:35:25 am
siiigh.....

Considering we are 18-1 at home this year, I highly doubt ASU will hang with us in BWA. It is also extremely idiotic to say the NIT is not a positive step for us when we have been without postseason for 5 season. Any postseason is a step in the right direction.
Will it be positive to be in the NIT even if we lose to ASU?
-Cincinnati Reds rookie pitcher Steve Foster, asked by a Canadian customs agent if he had anything to declare.

jry04

Quote from: Music City Razorback on March 11, 2013, 09:51:11 am
I am not even considering losing to ASU. We are 18-1 at home, 9-0 in the SEC. We aren't going to lose at home to a team who has 11 losses to sub 100 RPI teams, with 8 being on the road(4 to sub 200 RPI teams).  It won't happen. It is extra practice, and extra games for a team without seniors, and a team who has never played a game after the first game of the SECT. You cannot honestly suggest it is better to sit at home after the SECT and do nothing over going to a post season tournament and getting more experience.

You act as if it is a lock to play them, too. I don't think it is.

nextlevel

I'm sure you would be happy and find it a very positive outcome...
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

UNCLE BACK

Arkansas State has no chance to make the NIT.

RockChalkJayhawk

Scared, huh?  What, the thought of an in-state game bother you?  I find that absolutely hilarious.  The mighty Razorbacks afraid of little ole ASU ? 

You've been beating this anti-NIT drum for awhile now - but the alternative is take your ball and go home.  Guess you are looking for an exit to crawl through and go hide.

lol you definitely scared.

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: pridgehog on March 11, 2013, 09:59:18 am
Arkansas State has no chance to make the NIT.

correct.

but it doesn't stop some people from being scared from the thought. 

Jborohog09

Quote from: jbell96 on March 10, 2013, 11:16:38 pm
ASU gave that game away at the end. Just an awful way to finish a game.

Vomit worthy.  Can't win when you miss eleven free throws and have 18 turnovers, most of them unforced and just stupid.

jbell96

Quote from: Jborohog09 on March 11, 2013, 01:14:04 pm
Vomit worthy.  Can't win when you miss eleven free throws and have 18 turnovers, most of them unforced and just stupid.

I hated the last shot attempt as well. They could've gotten a much better look than they did.

Jborohog09

Quote from: jbell96 on March 11, 2013, 01:18:06 pm
I hated the last shot attempt as well. They could've gotten a much better look than they did.

No doubt.  I didn't get why Brady didn't call timeout to actually set up a play.

phadedhawg

I've wanted an instate game for as long as I can remember.  I think the NIT is about the only chance of that happening. 

If I recall correctly in the last 80s or early 90s we had a chance to play UALR in the 2nd round of the NCAA but they lost to Louisville, we did too.  Anybody verify that?

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: Jborohog09 on March 11, 2013, 01:32:24 pm
No doubt.  I didn't get why Brady didn't call timeout to actually set up a play.

See, you answered your own question in the question

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: Music City Razorback link=topic=534263.msg8100826#msg8100826 date=I don't like the NIT and don't want any part of the NIT.  It's not a positive step for us to be in the NIT.
yes it is. Whether the hogs win or lose even their first game, it's a positive step. Just because you "don't like it" does not make it a negative. This program has been mediocre to poor for awhile now, postseason play is better than none at all and can help build for the next season.

& dog, worrying about asu? C'mon man, time for some depends?

Danny J

ASU won't beat us in BWA IF both make the NIT. We need to beat Vandy to be a lock and I don't think ASU will make the NIT. 

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: phadedhawg on March 11, 2013, 01:32:46 pm
I've wanted an instate game for as long as I can remember.  I think the NIT is about the only chance of that happening. 

If I recall correctly in the last 80s or early 90s we had a chance to play UALR in the 2nd round of the NCAA but they lost to Louisville, we did too.  Anybody verify that?

It was in 1989.
13th seed UALR lost to #4 seed Louisville 76-71 in the first Round. The Hogs (#5 seed) beat Loyola-Marymount (#12) 120-101 in a "track meet".Arkansas lost in the 2nd Rd. to Louisville 93-84. It was played in Indianapolis. I remember Lee Mayberry saying that he was so exhausted/dehydrated after the Loyola game, he had to wait in the dressing room for a couple of hours after the game, just to be able to give a Miss specimen to the NCAA drug-testers.

phadedhawg

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 11, 2013, 02:08:38 pm
It was in 1989.
13th seed UALR lost to #4 seed Louisville 76-71 in the first Round. The Hogs (#5 seed) beat Loyola-Marymount (#12) 120-101 in a "track meet".Arkansas lost in the 2nd Rd. to Louisville 93-84. It was played in Indianapolis. I remember Lee Mayberry saying that he was so exhausted/dehydrated after the Loyola game, he had to wait in the dressing room for a couple of hours after the game, just to be able to give a Miss specimen to the NCAA drug-testers.

Thanks!  I remember the Loyola game.  We watched it in my 3rd grade classroom.  It was exciting.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: phadedhawg on March 11, 2013, 02:12:15 pm
Thanks!  I remember the Loyola game.  We watched it in my 3rd grade classroom.  It was exciting.

3rd grade?...Wow...you just made me feel really old. HA!

phadedhawg

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 11, 2013, 02:13:38 pm

haha...

I'm now getting to the age where younger hog fans make ME feel old too...

WADHOG

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 11, 2013, 02:13:38 pm
Im a few years older than you, but oh the memories of watching the hogs in the dance at school.  It was a staple of the times.
Quote from: phadedhawg on March 11, 2013, 03:05:25 pm
haha...

I'm now getting to the age where younger hog fans make ME feel old too...

WashUhog6

Why are you so scared?

(notOM)Rebel123

WashUhog6

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 11, 2013, 08:30:25 pm
ASU won't be in the NIT.
Tell him that, not me. I'm not the one who is scared of an NIT bid because I think we are going to lose to ASU.

I think that an NIT bid would be a step in the right direction and would be very beneficial for our rebuilding process.

Music City Razorback

Quote from: UCAhog6 on March 11, 2013, 08:37:19 pm
Tell him that, not me. I'm not the one who is scared of an NIT bid because I think we are going to lose to ASU.

I think that an NIT bid would be a step in the right direction and would be very beneficial for our rebuilding process.
I'm not scared of an NIT bid.  I'm sad that so many people on this board accept an NIT bid as progress.  Progress is not in the NIT.  Progress is getting to the Big Dance as a 11 or 12 seed.  Then progress from there to a 4 or 5 seed.  Then up from there.  I feel sorry for those who accept such mediocrity as the NIT.

PonderinHog

March 11, 2013, 09:11:06 pm #43 Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 09:25:45 pm by PonderinHog
Quote from: Music City Razorback on March 11, 2013, 09:01:13 pm
I'm not scared of an NIT bid.  I'm sad that so many people on this board accept an NIT bid as progress.  Progress is not in the NIT.  Progress is getting to the Big Dance as a 11 or 12 seed.  Then progress from there to a 4 or 5 seed.  Then up from there.  I feel sorry for those who accept such mediocrity as the NIT.
Maybe your progressometer, or whatever you use to measure progress, is broken.  It's been five years, man.  FIVE YEARS.  We need postseason play.  We need it now.  Who knows, why might win the damn thing.

JonClaudeVanHam

I feel sorry for people who are dense and miserable enough to believe this.

HF#1

What did Mike do to you bro?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

WashUhog6

How is it not progress? If we go from four consecutive seasons of no postseason play to the NIT, that's progress. Something is better than nothing.

No one here looks at the NIT as a great honor or the end goal--it's simply a step in the right direction.

Music City Razorback

Quote from: UCAhog6 on March 12, 2013, 12:25:58 am
How is it not progress? If we go from four consecutive seasons of no postseason play to the NIT, that's progress. Something is better than nothing.

No one here looks at the NIT as a great honor or the end goal--it's simply a step in the right direction.
Because the NIT (Not In Tournament) sucks and is not postseason play.  It's exhibition play is its anything.  A step in the right direction is getting to the NCAA Tournament, nothing else.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Music City Razorback on March 12, 2013, 06:48:07 am
Because the NIT (Not In Tournament) sucks and is not postseason play.  It's exhibition play is its anything.  A step in the right direction is getting to the NCAA Tournament, nothing else.

The more games Qualls, Kikko, madden, bell, Clarke, wade, scott, and wagner can play the better!  You must be thinking the liberty bowl in 2009 was a waste of time!  You need post season play as a program.  It gives you longer practice time with your team and more competition that you will not normally play, let's not even get into the exposure part, even if it is the NIT.  It is still name recognition. 

Music City Razorback

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 12, 2013, 06:55:52 am
The more games Qualls, Kikko, madden, bell, Clarke, wade, scott, and wagner can play the better!  You must be thinking the liberty bowl in 2009 was a waste of time!  You need post season play as a program.  It gives you longer practice time with your team and more competition that you will not normally play, let's not even get into the exposure part, even if it is the NIT.  It is still name recognition.
Liberty Bowl is recognized.  NIT is NOT like the Liberty Bowl, but more like the North/South game.  The only reason the NIT is recognized by many is the years its been around.  It meant something long ago when 16 teams made the NCAA Tournament, but not now when 68 teams reach the field.