Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 In-State Class

Started by NotSoFastMyFriend, March 15, 2017, 09:21:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GoHogzzGo

Hmm fair point on the limited scholies this year. I keep forgetting about that, have to be more discerning.

I'll try and remember not to complain in December about our 247 recruit ranking when we have a bunch of four starts but end up low on total  ;)
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Pork Twain

Yup...this is the only drawback of having a low miss-rate.  At some point, you are not going to be able to max out 25 each year.  Of course with a coach that builds through walk-ons and redshirting, this is exactly the situation you need to be in.  If we can offer 25 a year, that means several either did not pan out or did not stick around.  That is good when you are Bama, not when you are Arkansas.  For the record, Enos was lead on Hyatt, so there was obviously something our OC liked.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

chiti66

Sorry gents, but we should put the full court press on Bohanon!  Kid is an elite athlete, hell who knows how he'd compete against Noland.  Sign both, and may the best man win....that's what Bama does.

ricepig

Quote from: chiti66 on April 07, 2017, 01:50:04 pm
Sorry gents, but we should put the full court press on Bohanon!  Kid is an elite athlete, hell who knows how he'd compete against Noland.  Sign both, and may the best man win....that's what Bama does.

He can come in as an athlete and go where they suggest he plays. So, you going to take one less OL, DL, LB, or DB?

Andrew Hogfan

Awesome thread.  Appreciate it.
WPS!!!

hawginbigd1

That's my feeling

Quote from: ricepig on April 07, 2017, 02:17:04 pm
He can come in as an athlete and go where they suggest he plays. So, you going to take one less OL, DL, LB, or DB?
I don't care, any of the above, I have a feeling we will al be teary-eyed when we see what he becomes at Auburn.

ricepig

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 07, 2017, 03:33:55 pm
That's my feeling
I don't care, any of the above, I have a feeling we will al be teary-eyed when we see what he becomes at Auburn.

Not me, but to each his own. What's he going to become?

Pork Twain

I am not a fan of signing more than one qb each year.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

hawginbigd1

Quote from: ricepig on April 07, 2017, 03:40:55 pm
Not me, but to each his own. What's he going to become?
Cam 2.0?

ricepig

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 08, 2017, 12:58:06 pm
Cam 2.0?

Like that hasn't been said at several different schools since the original Cam.

daBoar

Sorry gents, but we should put the full court press on Bohanon!  Kid is an elite athlete
I agree fully.  If you have a superstar in your backyard, who wants to come to your program, you do what you need to do to land him and give him a chance to perform.  He'll quickly learn, and the coaches will quickly learn whether or not he's right at QB or OLB or CB.

ricepig

Quote from: daBoar on April 08, 2017, 04:10:54 pm
I agree fully.  If you have a superstar in your backyard, who wants to come to your program, you do what you need to do to land him and give him a chance to perform.  He'll quickly learn, and the coaches will quickly learn whether or not he's right at QB or OLB or CB.

So, he's said I'll commit if offered as a QB?

HogHomer

And what if he doesn't want to change position. And he's not good enough to play QB then he transfers. Why not just recruit a player that will be in the program 4 years? Why can't we offer only based on if he is willing to try other positions if he struggles at QB?

bennyl08

Respectfully disagree.

Watching both of their highlights, Noland is IMO hands down the better player.

Noland is a bit smaller, but he is very quick, makes accurate throws into tight windows, makes throws with pressure right in his face, and at least displays a much much better arm.

Bohhanon, otoh, looks like Cam Newton against the teams he's playing but only weighs 211 ish. So, his strength in the highlights is basically meaningless. He has solid agility and speed in his own right. However, his speed doesn't look that impressive relative to the field. Looks like a 4.8 guy. For a qb, that's solid speed, but his quickness isn't isn't any better than Conner's and his speed isn't enough to make you look overlook his arm. Which brings us to his arm. Key word that I used before was that Conner displays better arm strength than Gerry. In both of their highlights, you see Conner throwing balls with a lot of zip and on a rope to his receivers. Gerry is able to hit receivers who are open by a mile down field but his passes take a long time getting there and are high arching. To his credit, he doesn't look like he's winding up to make those throws. So, it's possible he can put more on the throws and just that his receivers can't catch them so he's limited in the velocity he can put. Conner's throwing motion is a lot more compact than Gerry's as well.

Looking at Bohannon's tape, looks like he'd be best as a TE, but then I remember, he's doing this all at like 211 pounds which is way too small for a TE.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Pork Twain

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 09, 2017, 07:31:34 pm
Respectfully disagree.

Noland is a bit smaller, but he is very quick, makes accurate throws into tight windows, makes throws with pressure right in his face, and at least displays a much much better arm.

Bohhanon, otoh, looks like Cam Newton against the teams he's playing but only weighs 211 ish. So, his strength in the highlights is basically meaningless. He has solid agility and speed in his own right. However, his speed doesn't look that impressive relative to the field. Looks like a 4.8 guy. For a qb, that's solid speed, but his quickness isn't isn't any better than Conner's and his speed isn't enough to make you look overlook his arm. Which brings us to his arm. Key word that I used before was that Conner displays better arm strength than Gerry. In both of their highlights, you see Conner throwing balls with a lot of zip and on a rope to his receivers. Gerry is able to hit receivers who are open by a mile down field but his passes take a long time getting there and are high arching. To his credit, he doesn't look like he's winding up to make those throws. So, it's possible he can put more on the throws and just that his receivers can't catch them so he's limited in the velocity he can put. Conner's throwing motion is a lot more compact than Gerry's as well.

Looking at Bohannon's tape, looks like he'd be best as a TE, but then I remember, he's doing this all at like 211 pounds which is way too small for a TE.
Agreed and I HIGHLY doubt ANYONE on this board is as good a judge of qbs as Enos, and who was he the lead recruiter on?  You got it, Noland...  Odd as this may seem, I rarely he experts on Hogville being correct and the coaches being wrong.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 09, 2017, 07:31:34 pm
Respectfully disagree.

I guess you meant 4.58 right, kid is going to be a beast at the next level, you can rationalize all you want, but I believe we are going to miss out on a special player, and who knows if Noland ever plays a down for us before going MLB.

bennyl08

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 10, 2017, 04:40:14 pm
I guess you meant 4.58 right, kid is going to be a beast at the next level, you can rationalize all you want, but I believe we are going to miss out on a special player, and who knows if Noland ever plays a down for us before going MLB.

He appears to play slower than he tests. Watch his tape and then watch Brandon Marshall highlights (4.56 forty time) and tell me the two appear to be the same speed.

247 lists him as having an Arkansas offer, but we aren't recruiting him as a qb. Both us and Bama have him as an athlete.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/04/auburn_qb_gerry_bohanon_update.html

He says Auburn is high because they are a place he feels like he can play right away. If he comes here, his arm definitely isn't beating out Kelley's arm for at least 2 years, not to mention then having to compete against Hyatt (sp?) and Noland. Our coaches have no problem with competition for the qb spot, but from his own words, he favors schools that want him as a qb and where he has an easier time to be the starter. Even if we give him a chance at qb, he isn't going to like our depth chart.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

rolyat_2008

Should go to Mississippi State over Auburn. Mullen can develop QBs.

Gus has yet to have a successful HS QB at Auburn. He's only surviving on JUCOs and transfers like Stidham.

NotSoFastMyFriend

DT Billy Ferrell (6'2", 331) picked up his 1st offer today. He's also being recruited by: Arkansas (lead recruiter: John Scott Jr.), Mizzou, Wisconsin, Ark St, Memphis, La Tech, UCA, others.

https://twitter.com/7_Bjferrell/status/851609301349257216

Birminghog

He has been offered. I applaud the coaching staff by telling him he would be coming as an athlete. This does not preclude his making it as a quarterback, it simply tells the young man that he might well be used otherwise.

If he wants to come to the program, let him come as an athlete. If he wants to come only on his own terms, as a quarterback or nothing, then he is sold on himself as a Hog, not on being a Hog. If he comes and beats out the other QB candidates, more power to him. There are others who have come as quarterbacks, didn't make it, and are making pretty good livings in the NFL at other positions because our coaching staff recognized potential for them in other positions.

presidenthog

Quote from: rolyat_2008 on April 10, 2017, 08:39:49 pm
Should go to Mississippi State over Auburn. Mullen can develop QBs.

Gus has yet to have a successful HS QB at Auburn. He's only surviving on JUCOs and transfers like Stidham.

This. I want him here, but if I had a choice between miss or auburn. Dan mullen is just as good as Dan Enos at developing qbs in his system.

Gus isn't even in the same league as those 2.

pigture perfect

I was hoping to see some Cam Vail stuff here. Great kid and talented.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

ricepig

Quote from: presidenthog on April 16, 2017, 03:33:43 am
This. I want him here, but if I had a choice between miss or auburn. Dan mullen is just as good as Dan Enos at developing qbs in his system.

Gus isn't even in the same league as those 2.

According to Dr. Hill, Arkansas has told him he can come in and try to play QB, we'll see if that matters.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 16, 2017, 07:19:35 am
I was hoping to see some Cam Vail stuff here. Great kid and talented.
Agree. Vail (6'1", 180) is one of the best safety prospects in this class. He's being recruited by Arkansas, Ark St, Memphis, others.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/2722618/586ef9343df53b366c2303b3

bennyl08

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on April 17, 2017, 02:50:54 pm
https://twitter.com/ArRecruitingGuy/status/854032426418483202

So weird.

For starters, the tweet only provides the twitter handles of whoever the Anderson visited with no names of the players themselves. I mean, it's like in parks and rec where the sign guy printed off "http:lkjslfkjaslkfjsalkfas.jpeg" instead of using the image from the website itself.

Thing two, NoahGatlin73 could very well be named Noah Gatlin and wear the number 73, or at the very least, he first name is actually Noah and Gatlin would be the nickname he has due to his "guns." However, Dit200119? He's a 2019 OT so I feel safe is saying that is what the '19' represents. Ignoring the 'Dit', what are the other numbers? He graduates in 2019 so maybe the 20 to lead it off is part of the 2019 and he sticks an 01 in the middle since being number 1 is at the center of his life? That seems a bit farfetched. If it is a date, then mm/dd/yy which is the normal US format doesn't apply as there isn't a month 20 in the calandar which would suggest he's using more of an international dd/mm/yy format, which would be bucking soo many stereotypes and worth a pat on the back. However, if that is the case, what is happening January 20th, 2019? That's not signing day, not a graduation day. If it's his birthday, why wouldn't it be 200101? Could it be the first day of classes at the UA that year and he plans on enrolling early? Is the academic calendar even set for that year? Or, since he is class of 2019, assuming he didn't repeat any classes, he would have been born in 2001, so it could be a yyyy/yy format, but why go from birth year to year you turn 18? Is that twitter account only for use when he's a minor and will make a new one when he's an adult? Gah, so many questions. I can only guess that will be the main reason Anderson is going to visit him. "As you know, we like to do a social media review of people we might be recruiting. And, well, we came across your twitter handle and we have some questions to ask you... Also, hello, I'm Coach Anderson, tell me about your mustache."

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 17, 2017, 05:01:32 pm
So weird.

For starters, the tweet only provides the twitter handles of whoever the Anderson visited with no names of the players themselves. I mean, it's like in parks and rec where the sign guy printed off "http:lkjslfkjaslkfjsalkfas.jpeg" instead of using the image from the website itself.

Thing two, NoahGatlin73 could very well be named Noah Gatlin and wear the number 73, or at the very least, he first name is actually Noah and Gatlin would be the nickname he has due to his "guns." However, Dit200119? He's a 2019 OT so I feel safe is saying that is what the '19' represents. Ignoring the 'Dit', what are the other numbers? He graduates in 2019 so maybe the 20 to lead it off is part of the 2019 and he sticks an 01 in the middle since being number 1 is at the center of his life? That seems a bit farfetched. If it is a date, then mm/dd/yy which is the normal US format doesn't apply as there isn't a month 20 in the calandar which would suggest he's using more of an international dd/mm/yy format, which would be bucking soo many stereotypes and worth a pat on the back. However, if that is the case, what is happening January 20th, 2019? That's not signing day, not a graduation day. If it's his birthday, why wouldn't it be 200101? Could it be the first day of classes at the UA that year and he plans on enrolling early? Is the academic calendar even set for that year? Or, since he is class of 2019, assuming he didn't repeat any classes, he would have been born in 2001, so it could be a yyyy/yy format, but why go from birth year to year you turn 18? Is that twitter account only for use when he's a minor and will make a new one when he's an adult? Gah, so many questions. I can only guess that will be the main reason Anderson is going to visit him. "As you know, we like to do a social media review of people we might be recruiting. And, well, we came across your twitter handle and we have some questions to ask you... Also, hello, I'm Coach Anderson, tell me about your mustache."

You drunk?

Hogs49ers

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 17, 2017, 05:01:32 pm
So weird.

This actually annoys me too.  I have actually noticed Kevin McPherson does this with basketball recruits too, but with as much as these recruiting guy's tweets get posted on Hogville, I really wish they would start including the players name next to their handle.  There have been several times where I have no idea who they are talking about when the recruits name is not anywhere within their handle.

For the rest of your post, I have no idea what the hell you are talking about haha
SCREW Vandy!

hawgwash

Probably born in 2001 and Dit200101 through Dit200118 were already taken.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgwash on April 17, 2017, 07:04:48 pm
Probably born in 2001 and Dit200101 through Dit200118 were already taken.
Yeah, he's still 15, doesn't turn 16 until this summer.

bennyl08

Quote from: ricepig on April 17, 2017, 06:48:39 pm
You drunk?

Not yet, but I was completely sober at the time I wrote that.

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 17, 2017, 07:53:50 pm
Not yet, but I was completely sober at the time I wrote that.

That's a shame....

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: HogHomer on March 25, 2017, 12:16:37 pm
Okay they are actively recruiting him along with 500 other kids. Hell when I was in high school I got "actively recruited" by OSU because I went to a camp in Texas. I didn't even start on my team. There's a long journey from "actively recruiting" and being offered by a Power 5 and in this case an SEC school.

There's also a difference in being actively recruited and getting letters every other week from a program.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: ricepig on March 15, 2017, 09:40:20 pm
I bet 12-15 don't sign with SEC schools.
Some might not want to sign with an SEC school. Just saying. Carry on...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

ricepig

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 25, 2017, 02:01:17 pm
Some might not want to sign with an SEC school. Just saying. Carry on...
Ok, 12-15 with SEC offers then, they can sign anywhere if they so choose, just saying...

LJHOG

MS_HogFan

Thanks NotSoFastMyFriend. Great thread. Don't listen to all the haters.
SOOIE

Youngsta71701

Quote from: ricepig on April 25, 2017, 02:06:55 pm
Ok, 12-15 with SEC offers then, they can sign anywhere if they so choose, just saying...
;)

Youngsta71701

Quote from: MS_HogFan on April 26, 2017, 11:38:47 am
My God they are everywhere. When is Arkansas high school football finally going to get some respect? Some of these players are much better than some realize. To me Arkansas kids have gotten a bad reputation somewhere that is hard to get rid of. We have plenty of talent in this state you just have to search the deep backwoods to find some of them.

ricepig

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 26, 2017, 12:01:22 pm
My God they are everywhere. When is Arkansas high school football finally going to get some respect? Some of these players are much better than some realize. To me Arkansas kids have gotten a bad reputation somewhere that is hard to get rid of. We have plenty of talent in this state you just have to search the deep backwoods to find some of them.

With Hudl and the internet, there isn't a backwoods anymore. Do you seriously think there are players, who will be eligible, that our staff hasn't looked at? And it seems, if we offer, others will follow. Now, getting to camps, especially at the different schools, may be a lot harder for some, than others, but these kids need to understand that exposure is paramount to getting a look/offer.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: ricepig on April 26, 2017, 12:28:36 pm
Do you seriously think there are players, who will be eligible, that our staff hasn't looked at?
Did I say this? Now you're speculating or trying to put words in my mouth. I simply said Arkansas high school football players don't get much respect or even the benefit of the doubt if you want look at it like that.

ricepig

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 26, 2017, 12:43:22 pm
Did I say this? Now you're speculating or trying to put words in my mouth. I simply said Arkansas high school football players don't get much respect or even the benefit of the doubt if you want look at it like that.

I'm asking the question, I didn't say you said it or not. Do you not agree with Hudl and internet making no one under the radar?

woodhog14

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on April 06, 2017, 03:15:06 pm
Why are we not going after Gerry Bohanon hard I don't get it? We are the only school who has not offered him as a QB, which is what he wants to play.

I know we have Connor Noland coming, and Beliema has the one QB a year rule. Let these kids compete for the job, that's sports. Every rule has an exception, and we should make an exception for two highly talented in state kids. Not to mention keepinng Gerry and Connor from other SEc schools, don't want to watch him rip us up at Auburn/MSU. Kid has talent.

I think we have already lost the him regardless because of soft approach, plenty of articles talking about it, too bad.

I'm very happy otherwise with 2018 recruitment.

Bama's offer is for him to play LB.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: MS_HogFan on April 26, 2017, 11:38:47 am

Thanks brother and don't worry - I stopped listening a LONG time ago, lol.  :razorback:

NotSoFastMyFriend

Update: 8 in-state prospects in the c/o 2018 have at least 1 SEC offer. 2 others not on that list have at least 1 P5 offer.

NotSoFastMyFriend

June 03, 2017, 11:15:56 pm #149 Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 11:36:31 pm by NotSoFastMyFriend
Update: With Sean Michael Flanagan's offer today, that makes 9 athletes in the in-state c/o 2018 that have at least 1 SEC offer. Prediction was for 12-15 with an SEC offer by NSD. Just need three more to get at least 1 SEC offer by February.