Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017-18 College Basketball Coaching Carousel and Rumours

Started by jbcarol, June 09, 2017, 10:42:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman
‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN
2h2 hours ago

Florida Atlantic has parted ways with Michael Curry, school announces.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman
4h4 hours ago

Of the 35 college basketball openings thus far, 15 have retained search firms.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger
‏Verified account @HKellenbergerCL
Mar 15

Southern Miss gives basketball coach Doc Sadler a vote of confidence http://hatne.ws/2FNsV3V  via @munzly

husker71

JB I am on one site that says the Louisville job is still open and that Padgett is not officially hired as permanent head coach.  Lots of smaller jobs open and even several mid majors.  I know people in Riverside who are excited to get Patrick  because of his ties to Australia and even Spain and are hoping he hires a local high school coach who has been around that area for a long time.  How about Evansville and McNeese State??   

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman
2h2 hours ago

Dan Hurley: "I could give a crap about who has an opening right now." Hurley is the frontrunner for UConn.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman
3h3 hours ago

Cal State Northridge response to ESPN in regards to FBI subpoena to ex-NC State and current CSUN coach Mark Gottfried: "We did our own due diligence and, as both Coach Gottfried and officials at North Carolina State have said, there are no red flags whatsoever."

jbcarol

Quote from: husker71 on March 17, 2018, 06:37:42 pm
JB I am on one site that says the Louisville job is still open and that Padgett is not officially hired as permanent head coach.  Lots of smaller jobs open and even several mid majors.  I know people in Riverside who are excited to get Patrick  because of his ties to Australia and even Spain and are hoping he hires a local high school coach who has been around that area for a long time.  How about Evansville and McNeese State??   

For just the third time in more than 30 years, UE has an opening for a new coach. Marty Simmons will officially be fired

QuoteExamination of potential candidates Evansville might pick:

1. Calbert Cheaney
The former Evansville Harrison High and Indiana University star made $30 million playing in the NBA. While he's not hurting for money, Cheaney may not be willing to give a hometown discount.

Last year, the 46-year-old told the Courier & Press he planned to stay in suburban St. Louis until his son, Julian, and daughter, Sydney, graduated from high school. Julian is a senior and Sydney a junior. He also said that may change if he received a coaching offer he could not refuse.

Cheaney is suspected to be Spencer's No. 1 target. He was an assistant under former UE head coach Jim Crews from 2013-16.

2. Michael Lewis
Another with ties to the area who starred at IU. He's a 1996 Jasper High graduate and held the Hoosiers' career assists record until Kevin "Yogi" Ferrell broke it in 2016.

Lewis has been an assistant for 14 seasons. He's currently in his second year at Nebraska, which is playing in the NIT. He spent five seasons at Butler on the staff of Brad Stevens and Chris Holtmann...

husker71

I am so old I remember when the Evansville Purple Aces wore jerseys with half sleeves and won the national championship (1971 NAIA)

jbcarol

Quote from: husker71 on March 17, 2018, 08:07:39 pm
I am so old I remember when the Evansville Purple Aces wore jerseys with half sleeves and won the national championship (1971 NAIA)

A lot of readers may not know that all but one of the Evansville basketball players was killed in a plane crash in 1977. The one player who was not on the flight was killed two weeks later along with his brother by a drunk driver.

jbcarol

Matt Glenesk
‏Verified account @MattGlenesk
13h13 hours ago

Former #iubb star Calbert Cheaney in talks to coach hometown #Evansville: "He's one of the best human beings I've ever been around." http://indy.st/2pklNWE  via @patmhickey

jbcarol

husker71

Louisville job is open per several services.  Chris Mack at Xavier??  probably not Mack is a full fledged Xavier guy and is the Louisville job (at this point) that much better??

jbcarol

FanRag Sports
‏ @FanRagSports

#Longwood expected to hire #UMBC director of recruiting Griff Aldrich as next head coach, reports @JonRothstein: https://www.fanragsports.com/news/rothstein-longwood-to-hire-umbcs-griff-aldrich/ ...

jbcarol

Jeff Jacobs
‏ @jeffjacobs123
14h14 hours ago

UConn close to signing Dan Hurley as UConn coach, sources close to Hearst CT Media.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman
7h7 hours ago

Former Georgia coach Mark Fox has received interest from multiple openings, told ESPN he won't meet with anyone for at least a week. Is now traveling with the Atlanta Hawks on their 5-game road trip due to his relationship with members of the organization.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein
‏Verified account @JonRothstein

Pitt has offered Dan Hurley a multi-year deal in excess of $3 million dollars annually to be its next head basketball coach, per multiple sources. UConn and URI still in play.

The offers made to Dan Hurley by both UConn and Rhode Island are less monetarily than Pitt, but still very much in play, per multiple sources. Decision likely in next 24 hours.

husker71

Penny Hardaway names former teammate and Old Miss coach Tony Madlock as assistant coach.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman

David Padgett out. Louisville likely to name Vince Tyra permanent AD soon. Chris Mack has been the frontrunner to go to Louisville.

husker71

UT-Arlington fires Scott Cross after 12 years as HC.  He played there and was asst coach there.  21-13 last year    not sure who they think they can get or maybe figured he has been there to long.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman
15h15 hours ago

UMBC coach Ryan Odom has  agreed in principle to contract amendments that will keep him with the Retrievers, school announced. Odom talked to Middle Tennessee State, but opted to remain at UMBC.

husker71

Jeff Capel hired at Pitt??   Tubby to his alma mater High Point (happy for him)

jbcarol

ESPN Stats & Info
‏Verified account @ESPNStatsInfo

ESPN Stats & Info Retweeted Jeff Goodman

Chris Mack as Xavier Head Coach (Since 2009-10)
                                                         All-Time School Rank
Wins                                    215       1st 
NCAA Tournament wins      11         1st
Highest AP rank                  3rd        1st

Jeff Goodman

Louisville has agreed to a 7-year deal with Xavier's Chris Mack worth about $4 million per season, sources told ESPN.

jbcarol

Quote from: husker71 on March 27, 2018, 06:04:19 pm
Jeff Capel hired at Pitt??   Tubby to his alma mater High Point (happy for him)

Jeff Goodman

Jeff Capel has long wanted an ACC job. He gets another head coaching gig with Pittsburgh after being let go at Oklahoma years ago.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman
11h11 hours ago

There have now been 46 coaching changes in college basketball. 18 still open — with biggest ones being Xavier, URI, La Salle. Been a quiet year in terms of high-level openings.

jbcarol

Quote from: husker71 on March 17, 2018, 06:37:42 pm

Jon Rothstein
12h12 hours ago

McNeese State's Heath Schroyer will hire Mike Dubose as an assistant coach, per a source. Dubose was previously at Chipola JC.

jbcarol

husker71

Fran Dunphy announces this will be his last year to coach at Temple.  Aaron McKie who is now assistant coach but also former Temple and NBA player will be his replacement

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman

Bryant expected to hire Iona assistant Jared Grasso, source told ESPN.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman

Names buzzing at URI: David Cox, John Becker and Joe Dooley.

jbcarol

TeLante' Webber
‏ @TelanteWebber
Mar 30

USC Upstate names South Carolina native Dave Dickerson  as new Head Men's Basketball coach

North South Carolina

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman

Creighton assistant Darian DeVries is the frontrunner to land the Drake job, source told ESPN.

And now it's official. DeVries to Drake is done.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman

NC central coach LeVelle Moton has withdrawn from consideration at East Carolina, sources told ESPN. ECU without an AD, not paying well, tough gig.

jbcarol

Travis Steele
‏ @CoachSteeleXU
2h2 hours ago

I am extremely excited to be the next Head Coach at Xavier University!  #LetsGoX

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman
18h18 hours ago

Jeff Goodman Retweeted Jeff Goodman

Told Mark Pope now out of mix at San Diego.

husker71

I really thought Pope might get the San Diego job so I was wrong about Mack not taking the Louisville and now this.  Now I see Anthony Grant is out at FIU.  I remember when he was considered a hot commodity.  Is FIU one of those jobs that cannot just be successful??   

jbcarol

jbcarol

Quote from: husker71 on April 02, 2018, 06:12:14 pm
I really thought Pope might get the San Diego job so I was wrong about Mack not taking the Louisville and now this.  Now I see Anthony Grant is out at FIU.  I remember when he was considered a hot commodity.  Is FIU one of those jobs that cannot just be successful??   

Sam Scholl to San Diego.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman
17h17 hours ago

Jim Harrick expected to join Mark Gottfried's staff at Cal State Northridge, source told ESPN. Turns 80 in July. Jeff Dunlap also on staff and Mo Williams could be in play. Gottfried and Harrick. Gotta wonder how long it'll take NCAA enforcement to make a visit to Northridge.

jbcarol

Not Jerry Tipton
‏ @NotJerryTipton
22h22 hours ago

In response to reports that the University of Rhode Island president blocked the hiring of Rick Pitino, Pitino says "I never agreed to be Rhode Island's coach, I never wanted to be Rhode Island's coach, I've never heard of Rhode Island, and Rhode Island isn't even an island."

jbcarol

Whitney Harding
‏Verified account @WHAS11Whitney

Pitino says he has been contacted by one school, it was a nice conversation, but didn't work out. Adds college basketball may not work for him.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman
16h16 hours ago

It's official: Joe Dooley is back at East Carolina. Was head coach at ECU from 1995-99.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein
2h2 hours ago

Memphis head coach Penny Hardaway will hire Mike Miller as an assistant coach, per a source. Joins Tony Madlock on staff.

Penny Hardaway is still weighing several options for his third assistant spot at Memphis and Hall-of-Famer Larry Brown remains in play, per multiple sources.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman

We're now up to 50 men's basketball job changes. Just 7 left open: Chicago State, Delaware State, Detroit, FIU, La Salle, St. Peter's and UNC Asheville.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman

Michael Porter. Sr., signed a three-year contract worth $1.125 million a year ago as Missouri assistant coach. Tigers also bought out his remaining deal with Washington.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway
‏ @gatorhoops
5h5 hours ago

Possible name to watch in UF assistant coaching search -- Georgia's Jonas Hayes, as first reported by @RussHoops

Wow. Apparently passed over by Crean, if true. Jarvis Hayes' twin brother was players' favorite at Georgia.

husker71

2 of those programs Detroit and LaSalle both had success at one time but I hate to think what it would take to get Detroit good again.  Hell when McCallum was  there he brought in his son who was pretty good and a few others who were ok and still had trouble.  St Peters had my 1st favorite players name   Elnardo Webster back in the day

jbcarol

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on April 06, 2018, 03:17:41 pm
Kevin Brockway
‏ @gatorhoops
5h5 hours ago

Possible name to watch in UF assistant coaching search -- Georgia's Jonas Hayes, as first reported by @RussHoops

Wow. Apparently passed over by Crean, if true. Jarvis Hayes' twin brother was players' favorite at Georgia.

Jonas Hayes is going to Xavier

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman
3h3 hours ago

New Evansville coach Walter McCarty's staff will include  assistants Terrence Commodore and Chris Sparks and Logan Baumann as the Director of Basketball Operations. Still one more assistant spot to fill.