Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Post Spring Depth Chart??

Started by bigdaddyhawg, May 09, 2016, 11:18:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdaddyhawg

Sorry if I've missed this, but I haven't seen a post spring depth chart.  Have they even put one out?

I went to the UA site, saw nothing, put in a search, but all it returned were the depth charts from each week last fall.

Anyone know what's going on with this?

Thanks in advance!!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

redleg

I couldn't find one either. Here is my personal projected depth chart for Game 1 (barring injury):

OFFENSE
QB -
#9 jr Austin Allen 6'1" 208 lbs. 4.75
#8 soph. Rafe Peavey 6'2" 203 lbs. 4.55
RB -
#24 sr. Kody Walker 6'2" 243 lbs. 4.5
#22 soph. Rawleigh Williams 5'10" 224 lbs. 4.5
#21 fr. Devwah Whaley 6'0" 215 lbs. 4.4
WR -
#4 sr Keon Hatcher 6'2" 218 lbs. 4.45
#81 sr. Cody Hollister 6'4" 208 lbs. 4.5
WR -
#1 jr. Jared Cornelius 6'0" 211 lbs. 4.4
#3 sr. Dominque Reed 6'3" 180 lbs. 4.36
WR -
#80 sr. Drew Morgan 6'0" 195 lbs. 4.5
#14 sr. Eric Hawkins 5'11" 175 lbs. 4.4
TE -
#83 sr. Jeremy Sprinkle 6'6" 255 lbs. 4.6
#44 rfr. Austin Cantrell 6'4" 252 lbs. 4.55
LT -
#74 rfr. Colton Jackson 6'6" 305 lbs.
#62 soph. Johnny Gibson 6'4" 343 lbs. ...  ???
LG -
#51 soph. Hjalte Frodholdt 6'4" 309 lbs.
#79 rfr. Jalen Merrick 6'4" 329 lbs.
C -
#72 jr. Frank Ragnow 6'5" 314 lbs.
#75 soph. Zach Rogers 6'1" 303 lbs.
RG -
#60 soph. Brian Wallace 6'6" 326 lbs.
#73 jr. Deion Malone 6'3" 300 lbs.
RT -
#70 sr. Dan Skipper 6'10" 326 lbs.
#? jr. Paul Ramirez 6'7" 310 lbs.

DEFENSE
RE -
#48 sr. Deatrich Wise 6'5" 280 lbs. 4.65
#3 fr. McTelvin Agim 6'3" 288 lbs. 4.65
DT -
#55 sr. Jeremiah Ledbetter 6'3" 280 lbs. 4.8
#52 rfr. T.J. Smith 6'3" 284 lbs. 4.8
NG -
#94 sr. Taiwan Johnson 6'2" 287 lbs. 4.85
#78 jr. Bijhon Jackson 6'2" 332 lbs. 5.1
DE -
#97 jr. Tevin Beanum 6'5" 272 lbs. 4.75
#6 sr. JaMichael Winston 6'4" 265 lbs. 4.75
SLB -
#21 sr. Josh Williams 6'1" 241 lbs. 4.5
#10 soph. Randy Ramsey 6'4" 230 lbs. 4.5
MLB -
#51 sr. Brooks Ellis 6'2" 248 lbs. 4.5
#44 soph. Kendrick Jackson 6'1" 250 lbs. 4.6
WLB -
#23 soph. Dre Greenlaw 6'0" 231 lbs. 4.5
#27 jr. Khalia Hackett 6'2" 216 lbs. 4.5
CB -
#29 sr. Jared Collins 6'0" 175 lbs. 4.38
#5 jr. Henre' Tolliver 6'1" 183 lbs. 4.4
CB -
#2 sr. D.J. Dean 5'11" 197 lbs. 4.4
#1 soph. Ryan Pulley 5'11" 195 lbs. 4.4
SS -
#28 jr. Josh Liddell 6'1" 210 lbs. 4.4
#8 rfr. Nate Dalton 6'3" 204 lbs. 4.45
FS -
#9 soph. Santos Ramirez 6'2" 202 lbs. 4.4
#20 jr. De'Andre Coley 6'1" 209 lbs. 4.45
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Bacon_Bitz

I do not understand how any fan could project Dominique Reed as a second stringer given his production in the last 9 games of the season.  I would think you would start somebody who gives you nearly a touchdown a game.

hogfan870

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on May 09, 2016, 12:06:42 pm
I do not understand how any fan could project Dominique Reed as a second stringer given his production in the last 9 games of the season.  I would think you would start somebody who gives you nearly a touchdown a game.

That is exactly what I thought looking at that as well.  I don't really know if I have ever figured out how CBB does the X, Y, Z receiver stuff, but Reed has got to be a starter at one of them. Also, at this point, I don't think anyone knows how the Oline is going to work.  Other than Ragnow at center - and probably Frodholdt at one of the guards - I don't think the coaches even know at this point.   

PorkRinds

I could see it.  I think JC is the more complete receiver.  Reed is fast and is a deep ball threat, but beyond that he's limited because of how skinny he is.  JC is the more versatile of the two IMO.  I'd say it's probably more like 1a and 1b though.

bigdaddyhawg

Perhaps not, but I'm pretty sure that's the way it is, at least for right now.

But we'd know for sure IF THE UA WOULD RELEASE A FREAKING POST SPRING DEPTH CHART!!!!

(PLEASE!!)
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Biggus Piggus

Ooh, ooh, I know how! The wide receivers who will play the first down of the first game will be the ones who can block. Easy-easy-easy answer. Don't know how anyone could miss that one.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Expect some changes on the offensive line.
[CENSORED]!

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 09, 2016, 01:22:09 pm
Ooh, ooh, I know how! The wide receivers who will play the first down of the first game will be the ones who can block. Easy-easy-easy answer. Don't know how anyone could miss that one.

D. Reed can block just fine.  J-Red has his blocking to thank for that 70 yarder against LSU last year. 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on May 09, 2016, 01:42:38 pm
D. Reed can block just fine.  J-Red has his blocking to thank for that 70 yarder against LSU last year. 

Yeah, that's why they're begging him to put on weight. Please. You'll hurt yourself.
[CENSORED]!

presidenthog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 09, 2016, 01:46:16 pm
Yeah, that's why they're begging him to put on weight. Please. You'll hurt yourself.
they want him to gain weight because he isn't a real nfl talent without some weight. he said specifically that he needs to gain weight if he wants to play at the next level.

I think it has just as much to do about getting roughed up at the LOS against physical DBs in press man as it does blocking.

a0ashle

First String and Second String for WR is kind of a weird thing...It is going to be so fluid based on situation that I don't think it matters 1 or 2 at WR position.

longpig

Quote from: presidenthog on May 09, 2016, 02:33:30 pm
they want him to gain weight because he isn't a real nfl talent without some weight. he said specifically that he needs to gain weight if he wants to play at the next level.

I think it has just as much to do about getting roughed up at the LOS against physical DBs in press man as it does blocking.

He's not just too light for the NFL, he's too light for D1.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: longpig on May 09, 2016, 09:31:57 pm
He's not just too light for the NFL, he's too light for D1.

Except he had a very successful D1 season last year and his only injury had nothing to do with his weight

HogMantheIntruder

Why did they move Wallace to guard? He's definitely got the build of a tackle, and I'm pretty sure that's what he was recruited to be. Anyone?
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: a0ashle on May 09, 2016, 02:57:22 pm
First String and Second String for WR is kind of a weird thing...It is going to be so fluid based on situation that I don't think it matters 1 or 2 at WR position.
This. Enos is going to have a blast this season using all these guys. That's the main reason I'm not as worried about the OL taking a bit to gel. CDE has as good, if not better offensive mind as Bobby Petrino. Yup, I said it. I don't think anyone can deny that his play calling last year was brilliant, even though it was his first year and he had to deal with major injury issues. He will have plenty of plays that will help to mask the growing pains of our OL, and that's thanks to the talent we have at WR and TE. We have half dozen legitimate, proven play makers with a ton of athletic ability. Jet sweeps, wheel routes, quick slants, dink and dunk to start with then hit them with the long bomb to DR. If nothing else, this is going to be a fun offense to watch.
   -Harry Solomon

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: Poppa Tart on May 09, 2016, 10:02:38 pm
This. Enos is going to have a blast this season using all these guys. That's the main reason I'm not as worried about the OL taking a bit to gel. CDE has as good, if not better offensive mind as Bobby Petrino. Yup, I said it. I don't think anyone can deny that his play calling last year was brilliant, even though it was his first year and he had to deal with major injury issues. He will have plenty of plays that will help to mask the growing pains of our OL, and that's thanks to the talent we have at WR and TE. We have half dozen legitimate, proven play makers with a ton of athletic ability. Jet sweeps, wheel routes, quick slants, dink and dunk to start with then hit them with the long bomb to DR. If nothing else, this is going to be a fun offense to watch.

I hope you are right. But I felt the same way about Robb Smith's genius as a coordinator compensating for the loss of defensive talent before last year and that didn't work out.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Poppa Tart on May 09, 2016, 10:02:38 pm

It's just my opinion but I don't think that there is a lot you can do to mask a weakness in the O-Line among more than one player, if a weakness does in fact exist. We all hope that we will have another outstanding O-Line but we will see in time.

I think we will have a good passing team but that won't last for very long if we cannot exhibit the ability to run the ball effectively, in order to keep the defense honest.

I haven't finished looking at the SEC West yet but I can tell you that Alabama, Auburn, Miss St and Texas A&M all return the majority of their Sacks from their Front 7's last year, but only A&M and Alabama (and Alabama by a wide margin) return over 50% of their PBU's from the Front 7. The point being, how the O-Line plays is going to be a huge contributing factor to how successful we are as a Offense.

Conversely, most everyone loses 40% or more of their Tackles and TFL among their Front 7's, so if we have an opportunity, it may be in running the ball, the biggest question mark that we have at this time.

My hope is that Anderson develops a good starting 5 that will play well together. We will know more in August. 
Go Hogs Go!

WoodyHog

Quote from: a0ashle on May 09, 2016, 02:57:22 pm

Totally agree that we'll see a host of receivers, but in my mind Morgan and Reed have to be the "go to" guys at the start of the season.  Keon will get his looks, and I hope he has a stellar season, but he is coming back from a year off and, to be honest, I want to see him get over any ball dropping issues he may have had.  For all the moves and speed that Morgan and Reed bring to the table, perhaps most importantly is that those guys just catch the ball.  We have very, very few dropped balls last year.  Need to keep that up this year.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 10, 2016, 09:21:41 am
It's just my opinion but I don't think that there is a lot you can do to mask a weakness in the O-Line among more than one player, if a weakness does in fact exist. We all hope that we will have another outstanding O-Line but we will see in time.

I think we will have a good passing team but that won't last for very long if we cannot exhibit the ability to run the ball effectively, in order to keep the defense honest.

I haven't finished looking at the SEC West yet but I can tell you that Alabama, Auburn, Miss St and Texas A&M all return the majority of their Sacks from their Front 7's last year, but only A&M and Alabama (and Alabama by a wide margin) return over 50% of their PBU's from the Front 7. The point being, how the O-Line plays is going to be a huge contributing factor to how successful we are as a Offense.

Conversely, most everyone loses 40% or more of their Tackles and TFL among their Front 7's, so if we have an opportunity, it may be in running the ball, the biggest question mark that we have at this time.

My hope is that Anderson develops a good starting 5 that will play well together. We will know more in August.
I think having great speed to the outside and guys who can consistently catch short passes (whether they're precisely on target or not), coupled with at least one really good running back and the best offensive play caller in the SEC can do wonders to mask a line that is still figuring some things out. This is Dan Enos Year 2, so we really don't even know what to expect. One thing we do know is that it that it will likely be creative and tough to plan for.

I know this OL is not going to be great for the first few games, and I'm sure they will make some costly mistakes. That being said, we have a lot of really, really great players coming back on that side of the ball as well. I think CDE will be creative in what he does in order to compensate for OL growth, and I think he'll find plenty of ways to get our proven playmakers the ball.

That's the difference between what happened with Robb Smith his second year and what is happening to CDE this year. CRS lost pretty much all of his playmakers. What proven studs did CRS have after losing the Bermuda Triangle? We have one of, if the not best WR corps in the country, at least one stud TE, and at least one proven SEC caliber back. It's not quite apples and oranges, but it's not the same situation. Barring injury, I see ZERO possibility of our offense takes that kind of step back this season.

All that being said, it would still be waaay better if Anderson and Co. just have these guys ready to dominate by game 1.
   -Harry Solomon

bennyl08

Look at what TTU can do without a run game. Short, quick passes on bubble screens and the such are for all intents and purposes equivalent to a run game. From the coach's mouth he wants us to be able to use the passing game more like the run game this season as well.

Run some of those outside screens, throw in some WR reverses like we often do, then some toss plays to the RB and you can establish a run game without having a good run blocking OL whatsoever.

Combine those plays with the deep passing game that we are likely to have with Austin at the helm and now the defense has to stay home, has to play sideline to sideline, AND has to cover deep too and can't press forward. That gives our OL a lot more of a fighting chance to win on some more traditional run plays which we like to do.

Keep in mind, this is all assuming we don't have a strong OL in the run game. What happens if they can't pass block? Then, you want to have more of a traditional run game keeping the defense worried about the run and not able to pin their ears back and rush the passer and also not have the LB's immediately drop into coverage. From there, a combination of quick passing routes, some play action rollouts, and similarly, the screen game where it doesn't matter if the OL can't block, you simply can't get to the qb in time. The downside here is that it allows the defense to creep up, play press on the receivers and such. However, that's where the play action comes in. If the defense is biting, you can quickly get a receiver deeper down the field and wide open.

Finally, what happens if the OL can't do either, run block or pass block? Similar to what you see above actually, save that you can't have the traditional run game work well or the deep pass game work well. You have to use misdirection and very quick plays. You want to avoid anything that takes too long to develop or relies on the middle of the LOS. For a case study, basically look at what Oregon did in the first half vs Auburn in the natty several years ago. That first half, they took Nick Fairly out of the game. It limited what they could do offensively, but they were able to move the ball still because they didn't suffer the negative plays he would have caused. However, second half of that game, it's like they were so impressed with neutralizing the DT that they forgot why they needed to avoid him in the first place, they ran a lot more inside plays and such, and consequentially had more lost yardage.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Poppa Tart on May 10, 2016, 10:32:27 pm
I think having great speed to the outside and guys who can consistently catch short passes (whether they're precisely on target or not), coupled with at least one really good running back and the best offensive play caller in the SEC can do wonders to mask a line that is still figuring some things out. This is Dan Enos Year 2, so we really don't even know what to expect. One thing we do know is that it that it will likely be creative and tough to plan for.

I know this OL is not going to be great for the first few games, and I'm sure they will make some costly mistakes. That being said, we have a lot of really, really great players coming back on that side of the ball as well. I think CDE will be creative in what he does in order to compensate for OL growth, and I think he'll find plenty of ways to get our proven playmakers the ball.

That's the difference between what happened with Robb Smith his second year and what is happening to CDE this year. CRS lost pretty much all of his playmakers. What proven studs did CRS have after losing the Bermuda Triangle? We have one of, if the not best WR corps in the country, at least one stud TE, and at least one proven SEC caliber back. It's not quite apples and oranges, but it's not the same situation. Barring injury, I see ZERO possibility of our offense takes that kind of step back this season.

All that being said, it would still be waaay better if Anderson and Co. just have these guys ready to dominate by game 1.

I don't expect the same level of set-back that the defense experienced last year, I'm just not ready at this point to say that we will be as good on offense this coming season as we were last year. My hope is that the defense will be much better this year and good enough that it offsets some of the lesser production of the offense while they gel. It could be that we see as good or even better results from a W-L standpoint than we did last year, but just with fewer scored points on the board for a while.
Go Hogs Go!

lefty08

I won't be surprised if we see Rogers at C and Ragnow at RG, Wallace can then go back to LT
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: lefty08 on May 11, 2016, 06:37:52 am
I won't be surprised if we see Rogers at C and Ragnow at RG, Wallace can then go back to LT

Wallace won't be LT.
[CENSORED]!

a0ashle

We'll likely see more 1 and 3 step drops, I bet we see the wham play come back.... if the O-line can keep their weaknesses consistant... then I think you can game plan it. That said, I am with your later post, our offense will take a step back, I am hoping we find the equilibrium between 2014 and 2015 seasons, meaning better offense then 2014, and better defense then 2015.

redleg

Quote from: Poppa Tart on May 09, 2016, 09:51:47 pm
Why did they move Wallace to guard? He's definitely got the build of a tackle, and I'm pretty sure that's what he was recruited to be. Anyone?
Apparantly, because Colton Jackson has really come on strong at tackle and they felt Wallace could fill in nicely at one of the guard spots. He hasn't solidified his starting job there either. If he doesn't do something quickly, he's going to go down as a bust, considering he was a 4* recruit and the #1 player in Missouri in 2014 and chose us over Bama.

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: redleg on May 11, 2016, 04:08:53 pm
Apparantly, because Colton Jackson has really come on strong at tackle and they felt Wallace could fill in nicely at one of the guard spots. He hasn't solidified his starting job there either. If he doesn't do something quickly, he's going to go down as a bust, considering he was a 4* recruit and the #1 player in Missouri in 2014 and chose us over Bama.

He doesn't need to do anything quickly and he won't go down as a bust.  He basically earned the RG starting spot in the spring but had some minor injury issues.  He'll end up at RG or possibly RT.  If he does get beat out and end up on the 2d team, he's still just a RS soph.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on May 11, 2016, 04:34:08 pm
He doesn't need to do anything quickly and he won't go down as a bust.  He basically earned the RG starting spot in the spring but had some minor injury issues.  He'll end up at RG or possibly RT.  If he does get beat out and end up on the 2d team, he's still just a RS soph.

We were tinkering this spring. Wallace at RT seems a likely destination. Jackson may give way to newbies coming in.

Heck, they could slide Ragnow to LT. Rogers is very good at center, and Ragnow is the best OL we have (maybe even last year as well).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on May 11, 2016, 04:34:08 pm

Whaaa??  I've never even thought of the remote possibility an OL could begin producing much of anything as an upperclassman!!

You must be confused!

I doubt it's ever even happened, even once!!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Oklahawg on May 11, 2016, 04:55:47 pm
We were tinkering this spring. Wallace at RT seems a likely destination. Jackson may give way to newbies coming in.

Heck, they could slide Ragnow to LT. Rogers is very good at center, and Ragnow is the best OL we have (maybe even last year as well).

I went back and replayed the spring game, watching only Jackson, and I thought he did great.  He only blew his assignment a couple of times, but several times displayed considerable athleticism to come off double team to stop a blitzer or late rusher.

He looked good in both pass and run blocking.  His got good hands and a lot of times I saw him stymie his man with his arm extension, which would indicate nice arm strength.

I think he's going to be fine, and should only get better with game experience.  I think he's going to be our first LT stud in a long time.

I believe this: if he were a 4* coming out of high school everyone would be sky high about him being our LT.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 11, 2016, 08:24:21 am
Wallace won't be LT.

For a guy that was billed as a future All-SEC Tackle and future NFL guy, this is surprising.

lefty08

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 12, 2016, 08:22:23 am
For a guy that was billed as a future All-SEC Tackle and future NFL guy, this is surprising.

It's also a guess
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 11, 2016, 06:17:12 am
I don't expect the same level of set-back that the defense experienced last year, I'm just not ready at this point to say that we will be as good on offense this coming season as we were last year. My hope is that the defense will be much better this year and good enough that it offsets some of the lesser production of the offense while they gel. It could be that we see as good or even better results from a W-L standpoint than we did last year, but just with fewer scored points on the board for a while.
For the most part, we are on the same page. Let me be clear- I do NOT expect the 2016 offense to be as good as 2015, and I will be absolutely shocked if it just picks up where it left off coming out of the gate. It's possible they could get there by the end of the season, but who knows?

Your last sentence sums up my view point nicely. You don't have to score 35 ppg if you only allow 14. I just don't think the defensive plunge we experienced last season was a preview of what the offense will do this season. We just have too much talent coming back. And, if you haven't guessed by now, I have a lot of faith in CDE to figure out exactly how those pieces will fit together to get the most out of them.
   -Harry Solomon

redleg

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 12, 2016, 08:14:13 am
I went back and replayed the spring game, watching only Jackson, and I thought he did great.  He only blew his assignment a couple of times, but several times displayed considerable athleticism to come off double team to stop a blitzer or late rusher.

He looked good in both pass and run blocking.  His got good hands and a lot of times I saw him stymie his man with his arm extension, which would indicate nice arm strength.

I think he's going to be fine, and should only get better with game experience.  I think he's going to be our first LT stud in a long time.

I believe this: if he were a 4* coming out of high school everyone would be sky high about him being our LT.
247sports.com DID have him as a 4* recruit.  :razorback:

redleg

As for the O-Line, everything I have seen as to who will start looks like this:
LT - Colton Jackson
LG - Hjalte Froholdt
C - Frank Ragnow
RG - Brian Wallace
RT - Dan Skipper
That's a pretty damn good line. All five guys were ranked as a 4* by at least one recruiting service coming out of high school, and they are big and athletic too.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: redleg on May 12, 2016, 02:42:37 pm
247sports.com DID have him as a 4* recruit.  :razorback:

I didn't know that, thanks.

Then why do you think so many easily discount him and expect so much from Wallace?

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 12, 2016, 07:12:11 pm
I didn't know that, thanks.

Then why do you think so many easily discount him and expect so much from Wallace?
I remember Pittman saying he was the most talented back up he had ever coached (or something to that effect) his first year. He was also considered anywhere from the second to ninth best OT prospect in the nation coming out of HS, and the first or second best overall prospect out of Missouri (depending on which service you go by). That, along with his size (6'6" 325ish lbs) just screams dominant OT to me. However, if Jackson is really as good as you say he looked, then I'm all for it. I've only watched the SG once, so I can't really comment on his performance, but I do trust your judgment. I don't mind someone really good getting beat out by someone who's better. I just didn't think anyone would be a better LT than Wallace this year. Guess that's why they went with Anderson instead of me for the OLC vacancy.
   -Harry Solomon

staffhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 12, 2016, 08:22:23 am

This is not necessary nor fitting.  Wallace is a soph and we have no clue what he will do.  He may be that All-SEC tackle before he's done.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: redleg on May 12, 2016, 02:45:27 pm
As for the O-Line, everything I have seen as to who will start looks like this:
LT - Colton Jackson
LG - Hjalte Froholdt
C - Frank Ragnow
RG - Brian Wallace
RT - Dan Skipper
That's a pretty damn good line. All five guys were ranked as a 4* by at least one recruiting service coming out of high school, and they are big and athletic too.

Or it could wind up this way:

LT-Ramirez/Jackson
LG-Ragnow/Froholdt
C-Rogers/Ragnow
RG-Malone/Gibson
RT-Skipper/Wallace

All depends on how the transfers work out.
Go Hogs Go!

lefty08

Apart from skipper and Ragnow being somewhere on the line, I think the other 3 positions are liable to change come september

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Poppa Tart on May 12, 2016, 01:26:11 pm
For the most part, we are on the same page. Let me be clear- I do NOT expect the 2016 offense to be as good as 2015, and I will be absolutely shocked if it just picks up where it left off coming out of the gate. It's possible they could get there by the end of the season, but who knows?

Your last sentence sums up my view point nicely. You don't have to score 35 ppg if you only allow 14. I just don't think the defensive plunge we experienced last season was a preview of what the offense will do this season. We just have too much talent coming back. And, if you haven't guessed by now, I have a lot of faith in CDE to figure out exactly how those pieces will fit together to get the most out of them.

The offense was not good all year... it came on later in the year.. I expect this years team to come out of the gates as well or better than last years did and improve throughout... the defense will be the difference... with all the sr's we have on the team and the schedule, this should be the year... always questions to be answered, but experience is so valuable and we have it most everywhere... if AA can shine, we have a chance to be very good...

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 13, 2016, 06:18:56 am
Or it could wind up this way:

LT-Ramirez/Jackson
LG-Ragnow/Froholdt
C-Rogers/Ragnow
RG-Malone/Gibson
RT-Skipper/Wallace

All depends on how the transfers work out.

Do not expect that to be what happens. Malone and Gibson are not contending to start at right guard. Wallace is more likely to start at right tackle than anywhere else, by far.
[CENSORED]!

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 13, 2016, 04:15:16 pm
Do not expect that to be what happens. Malone and Gibson are not contending to start at right guard. Wallace is more likely to start at right tackle than anywhere else, by far.

My guess for opening day depth chart:

LT - Jackson
LG - Froholdt
C - Frank the Tank
RG - Skipper
RT - Wallace

Rogers first backup C/G. If any T goes down then Skipper slides back out.
Gibson/Ramirez/Malone/Heinrich rounding out the second team. No idea how many snaps 2d teamers will get in games but hopefully a few more than last year.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Dominicanhog on May 13, 2016, 07:59:11 am
The offense was not good all year... it came on later in the year.. I expect this years team to come out of the gates as well or better than last years did and improve throughout... the defense will be the difference... with all the sr's we have on the team and the schedule, this should be the year... always questions to be answered, but experience is so valuable and we have it most everywhere... if AA can shine, we have a chance to be very good...
Totally agree. While I don't expect them to start as well as they finished (on offense), I do expect them to be better than they were at the beginning of the season last year. If AA and OL both perform well and progress throughout the season, then we should have a very, very good offense with the potential to be exceptional. I'm counting on our D, which I do expect to be much better than it was at any point last year, to carry us through the first part of the season.
Now, if the D looks as good as I think it will, AND the OL, AA, and the new RB's wind up performing, then look out. It could be a special year.
   -Harry Solomon