Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reclamation of the Razorback football brand

Started by JIHawg, May 08, 2016, 03:02:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

If asked when the Razorback football brand was at it's zenith, most old timers would point to 1964-1979.  This was the time of our national championship, the Big Shootout, the 78 Orange Bowl, and the cover of Sports Illustrated pre-season #1.  This all happened under the direction of our first of two CEO's, Frank Broyles.

This was Frank's style; hire great assistants, let them coach, and be the CEO.  CEO's don't dally very munch in the details.  They operate at the level of the big picture and the vision.  Frank, after one year at Missouri, looked around and saw the potential further south.  Arkansas was ripe for picking.  Being the only school in the state appealed to Frank.  Orville Henry was on board.  During the 57 Central High crisis, the Arkansas Gazette almost went under due to being boycotted by advertisers for it's stand on integration.  The Gazette brass turned to Orville.  They told him he had to save the paper.  He was told he had to redirect everybody's attention off of 57 to the Razorbacks.  The confluence of this and hiring Frank began the ascension of the Arkansas Brand.

CEO type coaches understand the importance of brand in recruiting.  Texas had brand.  Ohio State had brand.  Southern Cal had brand.  Bama and Georgia had brand.  Frank took notice.  He ran high profile, becoming one of the first coaches to become a sidekick commentator.  He was well known throughout the country, and he brought the Razorbacks along with him.  Frank created the Razorback brand as a national brand.  He was a CEO style coach at the right place at the right time.

Fast forward to 2013 to find Arkansas' next pure CEO style coach-Bret Bielema.  After several pretty good seasons at Wisconsin, he looked south for opportunity.  He found an SEC west team-Arkansas, and saw some of the same advantages the previous CEO had realized-the only major team in the state, pro or college, close proximity to Texas, a devoted fan base, plenty of money, and a coaches AD.  And like Broyles, he has the broad view, the big picture.  He also figured out the brand needs some updating.

Bielema is on a mission to reclaim and rebuild the Razorback brand.  He understands the importance of that in recruiting the difference makers nationally year in and year out.  Bielema, like Broyles, is starting with himself.  He seizes every opportunity to be on tv.  The flip flops and Reggae, and burning up the Twitter.  Jen is even on the Twitter.  (and so is Jeff Long, for that matter.  Is there a more high profile AD in America than Long?  One suspects he and Bielema have weekly discussions about the brand).   A part of the big picture and vision is the upgrading of facilities, uniforms and helmets, anything having to do with Razorback football.

Lately, signs of brand development, planning camps all over the world, including Jerry World. 

Bielema swung for the fences and missed on five recruits last February.  Bielema didn't miss taking note of the fact that most of them went with schools who have a bigger brand that Arkansas.  This only motivates him to go back to the drawing board, work harder.  The man is on a mission regarding our brand.

Need more evidence, here's a quote from Richard's column in the Dem-Gaz today from sophomore QB recruit Allan Walters from New Jersey, who is being recruited by everybody.  "I'm a big fan of Coach Bielema and what he does offensively.  "

Of course, nothing builds brand more than winning.  Bielema knows that probably more than you and I do.

bythelake

Excellent post, thank you.  Good luck coach.

jjdlc

I agree with what your saying.  Long and CBB are doing a lot to build the Razorbrack brand.  At this point, it's going to take wining.  Get a ten win season, and some of those big time recruits will choose to come here, then you can build on that.  Takes time though.

Torqued pork

Quote from: jjdlc on May 08, 2016, 03:44:41 pm
I agree with what your saying.  Long and CBB are doing a lot to build the Razorbrack brand.  At this point, it's going to take wining.  Get a ten win season, and some of those big time recruits will choose to come here, then you can build on that.  Takes time though.
Agreed. Wins vs. losses is your brand. Coach Bielema has the Hogs moving in the right direction at the moment, but you can't take any success for granted in the SEC-W.

26.2Hog

Quote from: JIHawg on May 08, 2016, 03:02:44 pm
If asked when the Razorback football brand was at it's zenith, most old timers would point to 1964-1979.  This was the time of our national championship, the Big Shootout, the 78 Orange Bowl, and the cover of Sports Illustrated pre-season #1.  This all happened under the direction of our first of two CEO's, Frank Broyles.

This was Frank's style; hire great assistants, let them coach, and be the CEO.  CEO's don't dally very munch in the details.  They operate at the level of the big picture and the vision.  Frank, after one year at Missouri, looked around and saw the potential further south.  Arkansas was ripe for picking.  Being the only school in the state appealed to Frank.  Orville Henry was on board.  During the 57 Central High crisis, the Arkansas Gazette almost went under due to being boycotted by advertisers for it's stand on integration.  The Gazette brass turned to Orville.  They told him he had to save the paper.  He was told he had to redirect everybody's attention off of 57 to the Razorbacks.  The confluence of this and hiring Frank began the ascension of the Arkansas Brand.

CEO type coaches understand the importance of brand in recruiting.  Texas had brand.  Ohio State had brand.  Southern Cal had brand.  Bama and Georgia had brand.  Frank took notice.  He ran high profile, becoming one of the first coaches to become a sidekick commentator.  He was well known throughout the country, and he brought the Razorbacks along with him.  Frank created the Razorback brand as a national brand.  He was a CEO style coach at the right place at the right time.

Fast forward to 2013 to find Arkansas' next pure CEO style coach-Bret Bielema.  After several pretty good seasons at Wisconsin, he looked south for opportunity.  He found an SEC west team-Arkansas, and saw some of the same advantages the previous CEO had realized-the only major team in the state, pro or college, close proximity to Texas, a devoted fan base, plenty of money, and a coaches AD.  And like Broyles, he has the broad view, the big picture.  He also figured out the brand needs some updating.

Bielema is on a mission to reclaim and rebuild the Razorback brand.  He understands the importance of that in recruiting the difference makers nationally year in and year out.  Bielema, like Broyles, is starting with himself.  He seizes every opportunity to be on tv.  The flip flops and Reggae, and burning up the Twitter.  Jen is even on the Twitter.  (and so is Jeff Long, for that matter.  Is there a more high profile AD in America than Long?  One suspects he and Bielema have weekly discussions about the brand).   A part of the big picture and vision is the upgrading of facilities, uniforms and helmets, anything having to do with Razorback football.

Lately, signs of brand development, planning camps all over the world, including Jerry World. 

Bielema swung for the fences and missed on five recruits last February.  Bielema didn't miss taking note of the fact that most of them went with schools who have a bigger brand that Arkansas.  This only motivates him to go back to the drawing board, work harder.  The man is on a mission regarding our brand.

Need more evidence, here's a quote from Richard's column in the Dem-Gaz today from sophomore QB recruit Allan Walters from New Jersey, who is being recruited by everybody.  "I'm a big fan of Coach Bielema and what he does offensively.  "

Of course, nothing builds brand more than winning.  Bielema knows that probably more than you and I do.

Outstanding analysis and spot on.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jjdlc on May 08, 2016, 03:44:41 pm

I agree that it is winning that builds "the brand". Of course you need something that sets you apart from everyone else in the beginning, but ultimately it is consistent winning on a big stage that establishes "the brand". "The brand" isn't established through near misses or close finishes. Big time recruits gravitate to the "consistently successful brand" that wins, whatever they perceive that this may be and how it best suits their individual talents.

Highly regarded O-Line recruits are going to gravitate to those schools who produce the most frequent opportunities at the next level and the same rings true for every single position on both sides of the ball.

We have a way to go, without a doubt, but if this staff successfully builds this program in the direction that they have indicated that they want to build the program, we will eventually find ourselves competing with Alabama on a more level scale, in competing for higher valued recruits. But it is still an uphill climb that won't be easy. Can Bielema get us there eventually? I believe he can. The question is, how long does he stay before someone else lures him away from the challenge of overcoming the SEC Elite teams?
Go Hogs Go!

snoblind

Guess I qualify as an old timer and I'd start the golden age at 59-60.  I realize your emphasis is now, but can't really have this discussion without John Barnhill.  Broyles had recognized the potential of Arkansas long before he was at Missouri.  Barnhill had a policy of not hiring assistants to be head coaches (sound familiar?).  When JB called Frank after his one year at Missouri, the question was "what took you so long, Barnie?"

The policy of not playing Arkansas State (or any schools in our state) was Barnhill's policy, Frank simply continued it.  Unifying the state behind the Razorbacks through, for example the network of Quarterback clubs, started at least by the 50's.

Barnhill just needed the coach.  I'd say he did OK with that hire.

:)

DeltaBoy

Great Post.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jjdlc

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 08, 2016, 05:51:26 pm
I agree that it is winning that builds "the brand". Of course you need something that sets you apart from everyone else in the beginning, but ultimately it is consistent winning on a big stage that establishes "the brand". "The brand" isn't established through near misses or close finishes. Big time recruits gravitate to the "consistently successful brand" that wins, whatever they perceive that this may be and how it best suits their individual talents.

Highly regarded O-Line recruits are going to gravitate to those schools who produce the most frequent opportunities at the next level and the same rings true for every single position on both sides of the ball.

We have a way to go, without a doubt, but if this staff successfully builds this program in the direction that they have indicated that they want to build the program, we will eventually find ourselves competing with Alabama on a more level scale, in competing for higher valued recruits. But it is still an uphill climb that won't be easy. Can Bielema get us there eventually? I believe he can. The question is, how long does he stay before someone else lures him away from the challenge of overcoming the SEC Elite teams?

Absolutely agreed, it starts with PR, and I believe CBB has done an excellent job of that.  There were some recruits this year that gave us serious consideration who we wouldn't have ever cracked their top 5, 10, whatever in the past.  All I'm saying is now we need a very successful season or two, and some of those kids will jump on board.

Regardless of the class rankings, CBB and crew have improved the overall quality of our recruiting, and now you add in a few of those top recruits to go along with the development of the rest, and we should be able to sustain success.

Oregon is probably the best example of this.  They were nobody not all that long ago.  They used Nike money to improve their facilities, and start building their brand.  That allowed them to start recruiting a little better.  Once they started winning, then the recruiting improved some more, and now they have been able to sustain success on the field.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: Torqued pork on May 08, 2016, 04:30:10 pm
Agreed. Wins vs. losses is your brand. Coach Bielema has the Hogs moving in the right direction at the moment, but you can't take any success for granted in the SEC-W.
If wins and losses were the only measure of a brand, then K-State and Okie State would be big brands and PSU and Michigan wouldn't be anymore.

But neither of those things are true.

RME

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 08, 2016, 05:51:26 pm

That's my main concern.

ALLVOL

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on May 09, 2016, 08:35:13 am
That's my main concern.
I think he's a darned good coach. But until the Hogs win 10 or more with him at the helm I'm not worried about him being lured away.

pigture perfect

If he wins 10 or more, he probably won't want to go anywhere else. He would just want to continue branding.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

ALLVOL

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 09, 2016, 12:12:50 pm
If he wins 10 or more, he probably won't want to go anywhere else. He would just want to continue branding.
I can see that. But my point is for other "bigger" jobs to come after him he needs to win 10 or more. Not a slam on him at all as I think the Hogs will get there. I just think that's where the bar is set. I hope he retires as Head Hog.

OLDHOG

All I can say after this is, YEP.