Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Allen signs 4-year contract with the Jaguars

Started by OPoraquê, May 07, 2016, 06:00:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OPoraquê

$481,000 per year.  (Sorry that I don't know how to post the link from my cell phone.)

OPoraquê

Thanks, Ricepig.  Wow.  $2.4 million.  If the young man can stay healthy I've no doubt he'll earn every penny of it.

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

ricepig

Quote from: OPoraquê on May 07, 2016, 06:08:28 pm
Thanks, Ricepig.  Wow.  $2.4 million.  If the young man can stay healthy I've no doubt he'll earn every penny of it.

Well, the only part guaranteed is the signing bonus, hopefully he makes a roster.

nwahogfan1

Good for BA.    Proud of him.  A pretty good starting salary for your first job.  LOL.   I think BA will do everything he has to do to prove himself. We will have to wait and see if that is good enough.  If not maybe he can stay on the roster for a number of years and get his life started well financially.

alohawg

Quote from: ricepig on May 07, 2016, 06:13:26 pm
Well, the only part guaranteed is the signing bonus, hopefully he makes a roster.

Yeah $31k, hope he does great.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

OPoraquê

Looked like the signing bonus was $124 K.  Who would have thought he'd get that far at the end of the 2012 season?

longpig

Quote from: OPoraquê on May 07, 2016, 06:51:16 pm
Looked like the signing bonus was $124 K.  Who would have thought he'd get that far at the end of the 2012 season?

Way I understand it, what he'll get now is the total signing bonus (124k) divided by the contract term (4 years),  so 31k.
Don't be scared, be smart.

10thPlanet

ricepig

Quote from: longpig on May 07, 2016, 07:01:20 pm
Way I understand it, what he'll get now is the total signing bonus (124k) divided by the contract term (4 years),  so 31k.

Correct, they get the signing bonus up front.

Biggus Piggus

In 2016, Allen will earn a base salary of $450,000 and a signing bonus of $124,274.  The signing bonus is only prorated for salary cap purposes, not what he gets paid. He gets all of it up front.
[CENSORED]!

rzrbk4life

Happy for BA. Hope he has a long successful career
Let's call those hogs!!!!

ricepig

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 07, 2016, 07:54:24 pm
In 2016, Allen will earn a base salary of $450,000 and a signing bonus of $124,274.  The signing bonus is only prorated for salary cap purposes, not what he gets paid. He gets all of it up front.

He'll only make the $450,000 if he makes the roster.

longpig

Ok, that sounds more like it.  A lot of free agents would be thumbing rides to rookie camp on 1/3 of 15k.

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

alohawg

Quote from: hoglady on May 07, 2016, 08:58:45 pm
What they said above.
Why so snarky??

Snarky, where the heck do you get that?
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

PharmacistHog

Quote from: alohawg on May 07, 2016, 09:10:16 pm

It read as snarky to me, as well. If it wasn't intended, it still appeared that way.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

ricepig

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: ricepig on May 07, 2016, 09:27:08 pm
$450,000 is the minimum in 2016.

Yep, and including the signing bonus it comes out just above the listed minimums.

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Hawghiggs

If he can hang this year. Then he might be on his way to a solid career as a NFL back up.

alohawg

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 07, 2016, 09:23:53 pm
It read as snarky to me, as well. If it wasn't intended, it still appeared that way.

I was responding to this comment, meant nothing snarky by it at all.

Quote from: ricepig on May 07, 2016, 06:13:26 pm

At the time I thought $31k was it unless he made the team thus the hope he does well part comment after citing the amount. I like Brandon and do hope he does well, been searching for any articles on him practically daily.
Just goes to show, like in speaking, it's not necessarily content sometimes, but how it's read. I can kinda see it, maybe if I'd added "only$31k", not sure.
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

HamSammich

People go out of their way to be offended now a days.

Pig in the Pokey

so he'll clear at least 300k after taxes, or more b/c florida has no state income tax, even if he doesn't make the team. Pretty good graduation present!
And he is student loan free. These kids got it good.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

wupigsuey

Good on him. I hope he does well. Dint Matt Jones start out a Jag? Been too long for my short memory.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

ricepig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 08, 2016, 09:22:07 am
so he'll clear at least 300k after taxes, or more b/c florida has no state income tax, even if he doesn't make the team. Pretty good graduation present!

Nope, no salary if you don't make the team. You only receive your signing bonus.

longpig

Quote from: ricepig on May 08, 2016, 09:32:54 am
Nope, no salary if you don't make the team. You only receive your signing bonus.

Way I understand it, players get 1/17th of their salary each week of a 17 week/16 game season.  So BA should get paid around 25k each week of the season that he's on a roster.  Does he get anything if he's not on a roster?

Hogwild

Quote from: longpig on May 08, 2016, 10:02:19 am
Way I understand it, players get 1/17th of their salary each week of a 17 week/16 game season.  So BA should get paid around 25k each week of the season that he's on a roster.  Does he get anything if he's not on a roster?

If he is cut, he keeps his signing bonus.  As a drafted player his 1st year salary is a guaranteed payment by the team.  If he is on roster he gets a weekly paycheck, if they cut him, the team has to pay his base salary to the NFL's union.  This applies only to drafted players who are cut in year one.

longpig

Yeh, no student loan payment but most these guys rack up a lot of debt on a credit line to make ends meet till they sign, if they get to sign. 

ricepig

Quote from: Hogwild on May 08, 2016, 10:08:55 am
If he is cut, he keeps his signing bonus.  As a drafted player his 1st year salary is a guaranteed payment by the team.  If he is on roster he gets a weekly paycheck, if they cut him, the team has to pay his base salary to the NFL's union.  This applies only to drafted players who are cut in year one.

I've never seen where a salary is guaranteed, especially the later rounds.

3rd to 7th round draftees, and Compensatory Selections

Later draftees are subject to a few different salary escalation rules. First off, their salaries tend to not escalate at the 25% rate, but rather at the Minimum Salary rate for their expected AS and League Year. They are also often tendered a Split Contract that pays different amounts depending on whether the player is on the Active/Inactive list, or on IR or the PUP list. As you might assume, they are paid less if they are not on the active roster. The final difference is that it is unlikely that a player will receive any guaranteed money beyond their signing bonus.

hoglady

Quote from: alohawg on May 07, 2016, 09:10:16 pm

I apologize if it wasn't meant that way.
It just seemed to read that way, which didn't make sense to me thus the ??
You're right though if you had put "only" in there it wouldn't have read a different way.
The disadvantage of a message board and texting for that matter - the lack of inflection in words printed not spoken.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hogarusa

This is quite the thread of folks trying to understand how the NFL contract works. 

Good luck to BA in working to unseat Henne for the backup role

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

alohawg

Quote from: hoglady on May 08, 2016, 11:51:16 am
I apologize if it wasn't meant that way.
It just seemed to read that way, which didn't make sense to me thus the ??
You're right though if you had put "only" in there it wouldn't have read a different way.
The disadvantage of a message board and texting for that matter - the lack of inflection in words printed not spoken.

Yep, I had to read what I wrote a few times before I got that, no worries.

On Brandon, as a Cowboy fan it irks me to no end that Jerry seems to go out of his way to avoid drafting hogs. I would much rather have Brandon than Dak.
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

longpig

Quote from: alohawg on May 08, 2016, 01:31:02 pm
Yep, I had to read what I wrote a few times before I got that, no worries.

On Brandon, as a Cowboy fan it irks me to no end that Jerry seems to go out of his way to avoid drafting hogs. I would much rather have Brandon than Dak.

Jerry seems content with his yes man head coach and random draft picks.

26.2Hog

Actually, professional athletes have to pay state income tax based on the amount of salary they were paid while playing a game, i.e. "working" in the state where the game is played. This is commonly called the "jock tax", and also holds true for cities that have incomes taxes.

It can be a nightmare to have to file an income tax return for every state/city in which they played any games.   Politicians just love to take what people have rightfully earned. Here is an interesting article about it:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2015/04/13/tax-day-april-15-accountant-pro-athletes/25742385/

Dr. Starcs

How did Jerry's last razorback pick work out for him?

Beaverfever

I don't get the point if basically none of it's guaranteed.  Why don't they wait and do this when the player makes the roster.

alohawg

May 08, 2016, 03:47:46 pm #38 Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 06:29:24 pm by alohawg
Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 08, 2016, 02:58:17 pm
How did Jerry's last razorback pick work out for him?

Ok, well I personally think they misused Felix. Once he bulked up he was never the same. Irrc, he averaged an insane ypc as a rookie. Regardless, even if you think it was a bad pick, how does that mean he should forevermore avoid future hogs?
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

Hogwild

Quote from: ricepig on May 08, 2016, 10:25:35 am
I've never seen where a salary is guaranteed, especially the later rounds.

3rd to 7th round draftees, and Compensatory Selections

Later draftees are subject to a few different salary escalation rules. First off, their salaries tend to not escalate at the 25% rate, but rather at the Minimum Salary rate for their expected AS and League Year. They are also often tendered a Split Contract that pays different amounts depending on whether the player is on the Active/Inactive list, or on IR or the PUP list. As you might assume, they are paid less if they are not on the active roster. The final difference is that it is unlikely that a player will receive any guaranteed money beyond their signing bonus.

All drafted players contracts in year 1 will be paid out by the team.  If the team cuts the player, the union collects his salary.  A few years ago the NFL was sued because two teams, Eagles & Cardinals, traded the players that the both took in the 6th round.  Both teams then cut the players before the start of the season.  The two teams claimed that since they didn't cut the player they drafted, they traded him, they didn't owe the union any money.  The union filed suit.

ricepig

Quote from: Hogwild on May 08, 2016, 03:54:32 pm
All drafted players contracts in year 1 will be paid out by the team.  If the team cuts the player, the union collects his salary.  A few years ago the NFL was sued because two teams, Eagles & Cardinals, traded the players that the both took in the 6th round.  Both teams then cut the players before the start of the season.  The two teams claimed that since they didn't cut the player they drafted, they traded him, they didn't owe the union any money.  The union filed suit.

Do you have a link for this? I can't find anything that confirms this, I'm just curious, that's all.

ricepig

Quote from: Beaverfever on May 08, 2016, 03:19:50 pm
I don't get the point if basically none of it's guaranteed.  Why don't they wait and do this when the player makes the roster.

In the last CBA it basically slotted the draft picks salaries, and their signing bonuses.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: 26.2Hog on May 08, 2016, 02:37:45 pm
Actually, professional athletes have to pay state income tax based on the amount of salary they were paid while playing a game, i.e. "working" in the state where the game is played. This is commonly called the "jock tax", and also holds true for cities that have incomes taxes.

It can be a nightmare to have to file an income tax return for every state/city in which they played any games.   Politicians just love to take what people have rightfully earned. Here is an interesting article about it:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2015/04/13/tax-day-april-15-accountant-pro-athletes/25742385/

Well that isn't the right thing to do. I made sales in the State of California, Arizona, Colorado and Nevada during one period of time and my employer was in the State of Oregon, but I only paid tax in the state of my residence, Oklahoma, and of course Federal Tax. If they make professional athletes pay state taxes in every state in which they play, that is just wrong. Should be the state of their primary residence while working for an organization which for most professional athletes, will be the state in which their current team is located and they conduct practices.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogwild

I will try and find it, I remember reading it a few years back in the barbershop.  One of the players involved was the LSU running back who some poster has in their avatar.  The one showing him being tackled inbounds, it would help if I could figure out his name.

Hawgzinbowlz

If BA can stay hooked with some NFL team he has the physical and mental attributes to improve.

Class act and continually working to get better.

" GO HOGS "

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

longpig

Quote from: 26.2Hog on May 08, 2016, 02:37:45 pm

Wow,  the 8 cities listed that have the jock tax are in 4 states, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Missouri.  Only 22 states do it, with Illinois only taxing athletes on teams in states that have the tax.  hilarious

MuskogeeHog

Hogwild

Quote from: ricepig on May 08, 2016, 04:02:48 pm
Do you have a link for this? I can't find anything that confirms this, I'm just curious, that's all.

It is funded at 85% not 100%
WASHINGTON -- The NFL Players Association is looking into whether trades made by four teams this week are attempts to avoid paying money into a rookie pool, a person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

The person, speaking on condition of anonymity because the union hasn't made the probes public, said the NFLPA is reviewing trades made by the Washington Redskins, St. Louis Rams, Philadelphia Eagles and Arizona Cardinals.

In an odd pair of trades Monday, the Redskins sent sixth-round draft pick Dennis Morris to the Rams for a conditional, undisclosed draft pick, and St. Louis sent fifth-round selection Hall Davis to Washington, also for a conditional, undisclosed pick.

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said at the time that Morris was traded because he wasn't going to make the 53-man roster. Then, once Davis arrived in Washington, the Redskins cut him after only one practice.

Also on Monday, the Eagles traded Charles Scott to the Cardinals for Jorrick Calvin. Both players were taken in the sixth round of this year's draft. That trade appeared to be more practical because Scott is a fullback, a position of need for Arizona because Nehemiah Broughton was lost for the season last week with a knee injury.

The trades have the union's attention because, under collective-bargaining rules, if a rookie is cut by the team that drafted him, that team is required to pay 85 percent of that player's salary into a rookie pool. The money from that pool will be distributed to rookies early next year based on the number of downs played in the 2010 season.

The way the rule is written, teams could circumvent the rookie-pool payment by trading a drafted player they were going to cut to another team -- and have that team cut the player.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a2f81e/printable/report-nflpa-examining-recent-trades-involving-rookies

ricepig

Quote from: Hogwild on May 09, 2016, 07:27:04 am
It is funded at 85% not 100%
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a2f81e/printable/report-nflpa-examining-recent-trades-involving-rookies

Hmm...ok, I knew I didn't read anything about every drafted player's first year salary being guaranteed in the CBA of 2011. I didn't peruse every little section, I only skimmed over the rookie contracts sections.

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf