Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Razorback SI cover that never was

Started by greasy_corner, May 06, 2016, 10:34:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

greasy_corner

In the latest SI print edition (I couldn't find the article free online) there is a article on Neil Leifer "Behind the Best Sports Photos".  As most of you know, Leifer is the photographer of some of the most iconic sports photos of all time.

Paraphrasing from the article... SI sent Leifer to Fayetteville in 65 to shoot Hurryin' Harry Jones. The fish-eyed lens had just hit the market, and Leifer had the idea to shoot the Razorback huddle, ground up.  He really liked the shot, and pushed it for the cover, which from the article sounds like where it was headed.  Only problem being was that Broyles sent out 12 men for the photo since Jones, a junior, wasn't the starter.  The photo was scrapped for that reason, and the rest is history.  I'm sure many prefer the pic that actually did make the cover.   

HogCard

We got a penalty on that play.  12 men in huddle.   :P

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: HogCard on May 06, 2016, 11:14:16 am
We got a penalty on that play.  12 men in huddle.   :P
Broyles being PC waaaay earlier than the rest of the country. He ruined it.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

El Duderino

greasy_corner

Pulled(PP)pork

wow, we were considered a dynasty......suck that Auburn/Ole Miss!!!!!

PP

Tejano Jawg

That's a dang cool story.

They fisheye shot is sweet, but it would have been a challenge sitting on a rectangular cover...black background as we see the photo here? Back then, they didn't add a bunch of sub-headlines (that could also fill up space). I'd like to have seen the full cover comp, but sounds like they didn't get that far.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: greasy_corner on May 06, 2016, 12:38:48 pm

Thank you...beat me to it.
By the way, if anyone else has it, I'd buy it to add to my collection.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

greasy_corner

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on May 06, 2016, 08:22:37 pm
Thank you...beat me to it.
By the way, if anyone else has it, I'd buy it to add to my collection.

I think you can get it fairly easily on ebay. 

I bought up all the covers from SI years ago that featured the Razorbacks, five or six of them I believe.   $20 each.  All look great framed (great mother's day gift).   Sadly the Hurryin' Harry one is not offered.

You can buy the old ESPN covers also, just got a couple ones with McFadden.

razorbackkid

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on May 06, 2016, 01:53:07 pm
wow, we were considered a dynasty......suck that Auburn/Ole Miss!!!!!

PP
I was three years old then, now I'm 53.  I'd say it's about time the dynasty returned.  :razorback:
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.