Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If the 1977 team was in an 8 team playoff that year, would they win it all?

Started by Ben, May 05, 2016, 10:15:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

How far do you think they would get?

The likely matchups being:

Texas vs Penn St
Notre Dame vs Michigan

Alabama vs Arkansas
Oklahoma vs Kentucky
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Ben on May 05, 2016, 10:15:48 pm

Texas vs Penn St
Notre Dame vs Michigan

Alabama vs Arkansas
Oklahoma vs Kentucky
nobody remembers , Pops  ;D
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

welchog

Think you mean the 77 team that played in the 78 Orange Bowl.   Answer:  Probably not.   However we were voted as NCs by one service that year.

MultipleScoreGasms

Texas vs Penn St
Notre Dame vs Michigan

Alabama vs Arkansas
Oklahoma vs Kentucky

I was very young, but remember watching those bowls.  I don't think we would have made it past that Alabama team.  However, if we had, I think we would have beaten the winner of the OK/KY game to likely face ND.  If so, I think Montana and the Irish would have been too much.  All speculation though.

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogcard1964

Texas vs Penn St
Notre Dame vs Michigan

Alabama vs Arkansas
Oklahoma vs Kentucky

I forgot how good Kentucky was that year but they were on probation and wouldn't have been able to compete in a postseason game.  I think Washington would have taken their slot.

Hogs33

Notre Dame was voted National Champs after losing to a nobody that year. Arkansas lost to a very good and ranked Texas team.......We have needed a playoff for a long time.
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

greenie

Quote from: code red on May 06, 2016, 08:52:20 am
Depends......is Cowins & Bobo off suspension?

... and Michael Forrest.

With or without them, I think it would have been almost impossible for us to roll through Alabama, ND, Oklahoma, et al.  We caught lightening in a bottle at that Orange Bowl...unlikely that we would have been able to repeat that a week later. 

Hogarusa

Since its a hypothetical from the 70s, i'm gonna go with yes.  Hang the banner!
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Torqued pork

I don't remember any team being more loaded than OU that year. Switzer was killing it recruiting in Texas at the time.

The Hogs would've had as good of a chance as anyone imo.

Tusks

That hogs D was tremendous.  I would of taken them against any of those offenses.

The real question is could they beat that ND team, which I think they could.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

WizardofhOgZ

Texas vs Penn St
Notre Dame vs Michigan

Alabama vs Arkansas
Oklahoma vs Kentucky

I'll only say this; IMO, Arkansas would have had as good a chance as any of the other teams.  Leave aside the smashing of OU in the Orange Bowl.  The Hogs validated their ability even as they lost a heartbreaking 13-9 game to Texas.  OU also lost to Texas by a very similar score (13 to 6) so that shows that all 3 of those teams were pretty much on the same level.  Texas was ranked #1 virtually the entire season, until they lost to one-loss Notre Dame in the Cotton Bowl.

So, such an 8 team playoff would have been a wide-open event, IMO, and we'd have had a good shot.  But no one would have been much of a favorite, either.

(And, yes, it was 1977, not 1978)

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 06, 2016, 08:05:00 am
It would have been able to see those matchups.

Nice post, Delta.  I like it when one post clears everything up in a thread and boy did this one do that.

1highhog

The 77 team would perhaps win it all, the 78 team wouldn't go that far.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

And one more thing...we might not beat all those teams in a football game but I'll guarantee you we could have beat them in a fight.

1highhog

Quote from: greenie on May 06, 2016, 09:29:39 am
... and Michael Forrest.

With or without them, I think it would have been almost impossible for us to roll through Alabama, ND, Oklahoma, et al.  We caught lightening in a bottle at that Orange Bowl...unlikely that we would have been able to repeat that a week later. 

If it was a playoff we wouldn't have played them all, just depends on how the team would have been ranked and who played who.

lumphog

HAIL YEA......IF you don't believe, watch the Orange Bowl. That D was GREAT!!!

LSUFan

There wasn't much coverage of the Hogs in S. La back then so I can't adequately address the question, but I will add this; I was 8 and I remember the old geezers sitting around talking about how bad ass that team was and that they would probably handle Alabama.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: lumphog on May 07, 2016, 10:31:38 am
HAIL YEA......IF you don't believe, watch the Orange Bowl. That D was GREAT!!!

That was an awesome D. And since todays press,fans....think you can't recruit to Fayetteville, those were the greatest 2 n 3 stars in history. Every one of those down linemen and linebackers would have been a 4 or 5 star.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on May 07, 2016, 10:53:44 am
That was an awesome D. And since todays press,fans....think you can't recruit to Fayetteville, those were the greatest 2 n 3 stars in history. Every one of those down linemen and linebackers would have been a 4 or 5 star.
i agree that there were several 5 stars on that team, probably at least 3 on defense. The Man had to be the #1 DL recruit in, what , 75?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Hogs33 on May 06, 2016, 08:48:52 am
Notre Dame was voted National Champs after losing to a nobody that year. Arkansas lost to a very good and ranked Texas team.......We have needed a playoff for a long time.

To accomplish what?

I've wondered this all along.
Darn near anything can happen in a single game.

Heck, even on Mike & Mike, they were talking about the NBA playoffs and how according to statistics the best of 7 format creates the most  (but not absolute) consistency with the better team winning.

They talked about how in college b-ball and in college and pro football, the rate of consistency with the better team winning becomes very iffy.

One game playoffs are exciting and fun, but there's a reason the expression "Any given Sunday" exists.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Hogimus Prime

Wouldn't matter Bama would still claim the Narional Title. As I was typing this they claimed the 1763 National Title

MuskogeeHog

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on May 09, 2016, 06:11:03 am
Man, how things have changed. 6 of those 8 are irrelevant now in the big picture of college football.

Hogs need to get better.

Hogs33

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on May 07, 2016, 12:53:42 pm
To accomplish what?

I've wondered this all along.
Darn near anything can happen in a single game.

Heck, even on Mike & Mike, they were talking about the NBA playoffs and how according to statistics the best of 7 format creates the most  (but not absolute) consistency with the better team winning.

They talked about how in college b-ball and in college and pro football, the rate of consistency with the better team winning becomes very iffy.

One game playoffs are exciting and fun, but there's a reason the expression "Any given Sunday" exists.

Very true, anything could have happened. However, you have to admit, having a playoff would be better than voting who is the national champ ( due to obvious bias and name recognition.)
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain