Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bret Bielema news conference today

Started by Biggus Piggus, May 05, 2016, 10:51:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Some interesting notes:

Dan Skipper could move to guard. Brian Wallace, in that case, would be the right tackle.

Jake Heinrich could compete for a starting or second-team guard position. They're still committed to Hjalte Froholdt being one of the starting guards.

Bielema also mentioned that Frank Ragnow will start either at center or guard. Zach Rogers, center or guard, first- or second-team. Deion Malone is a contender for a starting guard spot.

Keon Hatcher's recovery from follow-up surgery is expected to be quick, should be able to participate in summer workouts by June.

He had very positive things to say about the improvement of Rawleigh Williams III. Denzell Evans is leaving. Duwop Mitchell got banged up at the end of spring but could be an exciting runner. Still expecting a big year from Kody Walker.
[CENSORED]!

TM Hog

I hate to see Evans leave, but probably the best for him.  I'm glad the coaching staff is helping him find a new home. Thanks for the press conference update.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: TM Hog on May 05, 2016, 10:58:34 am
I hate to see Evans leave, but probably the best for him.  I'm glad the coaching staff is helping him find a new home.

Wasn't going to break through the top four + will be grad-eligible.
[CENSORED]!

hobhog

A 6-10 guard just blows my mind. Seems like he'd be really hard to throw over in passing situations. Has he played that position before?

I just hope they settle on a line and the positions early in fall camp and let them get some chemistry going. This shuffling makes me nervous...

azhog10

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 05, 2016, 10:59:28 am
Wasn't going to break through the top four + will be grad-eligible.
I wonder if his increase in carries this spring had some to do with trying to help him put film together for schools.....? Obviously a last chance to see what he could do, but maybe they had an idea this would happen and the staff was wanting to help him find a home and put some tape together.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hobhog on May 05, 2016, 11:05:17 am
A 6-10 guard just blows my mind. Seems like he'd be really hard to throw over in passing situations. Has he played that position before?

Skipper started at guard for the final seven games of the 2013 season. Or was it eight?
[CENSORED]!

razorbacker3

His whole freshman year.

Dropkick

azhog10

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 05, 2016, 11:10:06 am
Skipper started at guard for the final seven games of the 2013 season.
I'm with the other guy. Not a fan of a 6'10 guard. That said, if that's where he needs to play bc it gives us the best line then that's where he plays. I hope one of the guys coming in can take over the other guard spot and allow him to stay at tackle.

PorkRinds

Personally, I think they may have learned something from the Kirkland situation, that playing a kid out of position doesn't do them any favors, especially their senior year.  It COULD be that they think he projects as a guard at the next level, and want him to get plenty of film of him being a dominant guard.  Kirkland may have been a dominant guard, but they needed him to be a serviceable tackle.  If they have a serviceable tackle, they may want Skipper to be a dominant guard for his sake in the draft next year.  Or I could be making that up.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Great news on Keon.

Offensive line may be an adventure this upcoming season. Pittman must not have done a very good job at all on recruiting if we have to keep moving people around plus we are STARTING a guy there that has never played guard.

a0ashle

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 05, 2016, 11:17:24 am
Great news on Keon.

Offensive line may be an adventure this upcoming season. Pittman must not have done a very good job at all on recruiting if we have to keep moving people around plus we are STARTING a guy there that has never played guard.

I am not sure its indicative of Pittman's recruiting exactly... Knowing what we know about CBB, we probably should have expected this a little. CBB has always said he wants the best 5 out there regardless of position, and with 3 new starters that means there will be some early shuffling...hopefully it settles in the last few weeks of fall camp so whoever it is can start to Gel.

Biggus Piggus

Bielema said Austin Capps had grown taller + was destined to begin on the defensive line, unless he could help sooner on the offensive line.
[CENSORED]!

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: a0ashle on May 05, 2016, 11:24:33 am
I am not sure its indicative of Pittman's recruiting exactly... Knowing what we know about CBB, we probably should have expected this a little. CBB has always said he wants the best 5 out there regardless of position, and with 3 new starters that means there will be some early shuffling...hopefully it settles in the last few weeks of fall camp so whoever it is can start to Gel.

Very true. Hopefully we can get the kinks out before Texas AM. We cannot lose to them this year.

WooPig90

Kind of confused on this satellite camps stuff. How would the one in Bahamas help/work?

PorkRinds

Quote from: WooPig90 on May 05, 2016, 11:48:53 am
Kind of confused on this satellite camps stuff. How would the one in Bahamas help/work?

I believe that one would be similar to Michigan doing spring practice in Florida.  They'd fly the team to the Bahamas for practice.  Not necessarily a camp for prospects.  I could be wrong about that, though.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 05, 2016, 11:50:12 am
I believe that one would be similar to Michigan doing spring practice in Florida.  They'd fly the team to the Bahamas for practice.  Not necessarily a camp for prospects.  I could be wrong about that, though.

Yes, wrong. Satellite camps are recruiting camps that are held away from campus.
[CENSORED]!

a0ashle

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 05, 2016, 11:40:03 am
Very true. Hopefully we can get the kinks out before Texas AM. We cannot lose to them this year.

With the way the offensive personnel is shaping up in terms of experience. I think our realistic goal should be consistency. There are plenty of formations that can help a O-Line where they are weakest, so long as you know where that weakness is on any given play... our eyes should be toward consistency first.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: TM Hog on May 05, 2016, 10:58:34 am
I hate to see Evans leave, but probably the best for him.  I'm glad the coaching staff is helping him find a new home. Thanks for the press conference update.

CBB says he is graduating in May after only 3 years and will have 2 years to give where ever he goes.  So Evans must be a very bright kid. Good luck to him where ever he goes.

Wildhog

The recruiting hotbed that is the Bahamas...  sounds like they just want a vacay.  :)
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

jry04

Sure is sad someone filled Kirkland's head with non-sense.

razorbackfanatic

I just hope they settle on a line and the positions early in fall camp and let them get some chemistry going. This shuffling makes me nervous...

Was a freshman All-American as a guard in 2013.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on May 05, 2016, 11:53:08 am
The recruiting hotbed that is the Bahamas...  sounds like they just want a vacay.  :)

It looks like they were already going there for vacation, now they can write off the expenses.......

Biggus Piggus

Bielema said Kirkland signed with an agent right before Bielema was scheduled to fly to Miami and talk to Kirkland about his NFL feedback. Bielema mentioned that some draftnik website had listed Kirkland as the top guard available + he contacted them and asked why. By the time draft day came, the same site had Kirkland off the board entirely.
[CENSORED]!

razorbackfanatic

Honestly every time he's been given a shot he's done a pretty good job. He gave a great second effort in the spring game and got into the end zone. He doesn't have that second gear, but he could be a very good back for team outside of the SEC and most power 5 schools like a Rice or Memphis for example. Best of luck to him.

Biggus Piggus

The whole Kirkland thing makes me wonder what the holy flying hell goes on with some young guys. Did he really think he had a great season? Why was his self-image so far off? He had to have ignored a lot of facts to believe somebody who told him he would be a high draft pick. Kirkland played those football games and knows how he did.
[CENSORED]!

PorkRinds

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 05, 2016, 11:51:37 am
Yes, wrong. Satellite camps are recruiting camps that are held away from campus.

I feel like it would be pointless to have a prospect camp in the Bahamas.  How many kids are going to fly there to go to a camp?  When he first floated the Bahamas thing it was in response to the situation with Michigan. 

jry04

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 05, 2016, 12:01:45 pm
I feel like it would be pointless to have a prospect camp in the Bahamas.  How many kids are going to fly there to go to a camp?  When he first floated the Bahamas thing it was in response to the situation with Michigan. 
They are prospect camps held for the people in those countries, not to fly HS kids out to the Bahamas and hold a camp for them. I am guessing any HS kids vacationing out there at the time could register for it, but the idea to hold a camp in other countries is to discover players there.

Jborohog09

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 05, 2016, 12:00:41 pm
The whole Kirkland thing makes me wonder what the holy flying hell goes on with some young guys. Did he really think he had a great season? Why was his self-image so far off? He had to have ignored a lot of facts to believe somebody who told him he would be a high draft pick. Kirkland played those football games and knows how he did.

No telling how many people he had in his ear.  Family, friends, slime ball agents, etc.

lawhawg20

Agreed.  I can't help but envision us on Sportscenter's "Not Top 10" 4 or 5 times next season because Austin dinged Skipper in the back of the helmet again.  That said, there are some much smarter people making a fair amount more money than me who probably know better as to whether or not this will work. 

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 05, 2016, 11:57:47 am
Bielema said Kirkland signed with an agent right before Bielema was scheduled to fly to Miami and talk to Kirkland about his NFL feedback. Bielema mentioned that some draftnik website had listed Kirkland as the top guard available + he contacted them and asked why. By the time draft day came, the same site had Kirkland off the board entirely.

Well, lesson learned, he should probably have these talks before the agent free-for-all begins. 

DZ

Quote from: lawhawg20 on May 05, 2016, 12:16:50 pm
Agreed.  I can't help but envision us on Sportscenter's "Not Top 10" 4 or 5 times next season because Austin dinged Skipper in the back of the helmet again.  That said, there are some much smarter people making a fair amount more money than me who probably know better as to whether or not this will work.

??? he has played guard many times. how many times did he get hit like that then? ?  I don't remember any..

ricepig

Quote from: lawhawg20 on May 05, 2016, 12:16:50 pm

How many times did he get hit three years ago when he played guard?

snoblind

Quote from: Wildhog on May 05, 2016, 11:53:08 am

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 05, 2016, 12:01:45 pm

Haters.  Bet you complain when the camps in Paris, Oslo, Bora Bora, and Fiji are announced.

;)

TNhawgfan

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on May 05, 2016, 12:20:55 pm
Well, lesson learned, he should probably have these talks before the agent free-for-all begins. 
Lesson learned for Kirkland. Unfortunately, it won't mean squat to the next young man who gets bad advice from the wrong person. None of those basketball kids who leave early ever go, "I remember Scotty Thurman telling me about his experiences. I don't want that to happen to me." I'm sure the football guys won't think about Denver's plight
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Bacon_Bitz

I don't mind all the shuffling along the OL. Makes sense it would take a while to figure things out when you lose 3 starters. 

Would be nice to have 5 solidified future All-American starters but at least we have some viable options on the table - 3 starters set and a selection of JUCOs, rs-FR, upper classmen, and a true frosh competing for the last two spots.  Really not all that bad of a spot to be in all things considered.  Esp. b/c sometimes w/ new blood that aren't just completely green true frosh, their first year starting is when they're the most productive b/c they've got that fire in the belly.

Grizzlyfan

So Pittman isn't the only coach that moves Olineman around.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: razorbackfanatic on May 05, 2016, 11:54:57 am
Was a freshman All-American as a guard in 2013.
some of these fans... I'm just not sure what team they are following! Maybe they are 10 years old. How could they possibly not know Dan Skipper was a freshman All-American Guard? ?? It's baffling.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: DZ on May 05, 2016, 12:27:48 pm

??? he has played guard many times. how many times did he get hit like that then? ?  I don't remember any..
idiocy abounds in this thread. I am remembering names for future use on this one.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: TNhawgfan on May 05, 2016, 12:31:56 pm
Lesson learned for Kirkland. Unfortunately, it won't mean squat to the next young man who gets bad advice from the wrong person. None of those basketball kids who leave early ever go, "I remember Scotty Thurman telling me about his experiences. I don't want that to happen to me." I'm sure the football guys won't think about Denver's plight
why WOULD a kid who left early say that? Weird take. Only people who might say that are the kids who DON'T go early. This thread has so much FAIL.
@Slackaveli

FWF79

Everyone cant play guard.   I keep hearing guard, guard, guard....  Who is going to fill the tackle spots?

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: FWF79 on May 05, 2016, 01:50:34 pm
Everyone cant play guard.   I keep hearing guard, guard, guard....  Who is going to fill the tackle spots?
You didn't know?  We are playing with a center and 4 guards.   G  G  C  G  G.

Something Anderson brought from the Bills.

Seriously though, I get your question.  And I don't know the answer.  CBB/Anderson appear to want to strengthen the interior of the line first then focus on tackles.  Not sure their reasoning, but I trust them.  If Brian Wallace is good enough to solidify the RT spot and let Skipper play RG, then it sounds good to me.  The other side...TBD.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on May 05, 2016, 01:59:23 pm
You didn't know?  We are playing with a center and 4 guards.   G  G  C  G  G.

Something Anderson brought from the Bills.

Yeah this will confuse the defense, because the DE has been taught to line up on the outside shoulder of the tackle. They will be out of time outs in the first quarter .
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"