Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking back by ESPN The Hogs 10 years ago

Started by DeltaBoy, May 04, 2016, 08:17:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

lahawg1

%$@^#&^^$!$&%^$*)*%^#% Reggie Fish, should have won that Florida game

rwspear

arkfan81

Quote from: lahawg1 on May 04, 2016, 08:36:49 am

That fumble hurt..
Have faith...

KlubhouseKonnected

We had them on the ropes and they were about to give up.

That play is up there with the Stoernover for me.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

hawgmasta

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Hollywood_HOGan45

We were mentioned as title contenders but couldn't take care of lsu at home,

That fish play against fla was one of the more outrageous plays I've ever seen.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 06, 2016, 07:36:01 am
We were mentioned as title contenders but couldn't take care of lsu at home,

That fish play against fla was one of the more outrageous plays I've ever seen.

Yep and it makes me sick to rewatch it on YouTube.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ThisTeetsTaken

Reginald Fish really made a bad decision in that game but letting Florida make a first down on a fake punt backed up near their own goal line hurt almost as much.  Don't get me wrong, it was one of the all-time gutsiest calls I've ever seen but man, that was hard to watch as that guy ran about 20 yards for a first down.  Had we stopped that play we probably score again there and win the game.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

bphi11ips

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on May 06, 2016, 08:42:42 am
Reginald Fish really made a bad decision in that game but letting Florida make a first down on a fake punt backed up near their own goal line hurt almost as much.  Don't get me wrong, it was one of the all-time gutsiest calls I've ever seen but man, that was hard to watch as that guy ran about 20 yards for a first down.  Had we stopped that play we probably score again there and win the game.

Without the fake punt you never get to the Fish fumble.  Ballsy call by Meyer that flipped momentum.  No one saw it coming, which is when fake punts work.  The Hogs had no one on the left flank.  Florida didn't score after the first down but moved the ball to midfield, which allowed their punter to hit the punt that sent Fish backpeddling at his own goal line.  Otherwise, we take over at midfield ourselves with momentum if Florida punts or deep in Florida territory if we stop the fake.

It's easy to focus on Fish's mistake in trying to field the punt, but the play that comes closest to determining the outcome of the game was the fake punt.   
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

longpig

That fumbled punt was early in the 3rd wasn't it?

;)
Don't be scared, be smart.

Pulled(PP)pork

glad he didn't, would probably still have Nutters on the sideline

PP

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 06, 2016, 02:13:37 pm
Without the fake punt you never get to the Fish fumble.  Ballsy call by Meyer that flipped momentum.  No one saw it coming, which is when fake punts work.  The Hogs had no one on the left flank.  Florida didn't score after the first down but moved the ball to midfield, which allowed their punter to hit the punt that sent Fish backpeddling at his own goal line.  Otherwise, we take over at midfield ourselves with momentum if Florida punts or deep in Florida territory if we stop the fake.

It's easy to focus on Fish's mistake in trying to field the punt, but the play that comes closest to determining the outcome of the game was the fake punt.   

The thing that really twists the knife is hearing from other players on the sideline about how Fish was pumping himself up saying he was about to take it to the house and put the game on ice...

Just wave it off buddy.

shown006

Quote from: longpig on May 06, 2016, 03:11:28 pm
That fumbled punt was early in the 3rd wasn't it?

;)
The "Fish Kill" occurred late in the 3rd.....a little over 4 minutes left.
WPS!

mckinneyhog5

I was at that game in Atlanta..They set-up to go for it but UM burned their last time out and sent the punt team in.  I then turned to my friend and said "all he has to do is to hold on to the ball and we got this."  Well, you know what happened next..
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on May 09, 2016, 11:30:26 am
I was at that game in Atlanta..They set-up to go for it but UM burned their last time out and sent the punt team in.  I then turned to my friend and said "all he has to do is to hold on to the ball and we got this."  Well, you know what happened next..

Similar story but I said "The gators are about to quit, we've got them beat and they know it."

Then big mo did an about face on us with that muff.