Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kirkland Undrafted- Didn't see that coming

Started by Großer Kriegschwein, April 30, 2016, 04:30:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Karma on May 02, 2016, 12:55:09 pm
Anderson is great at teaching because he's the current coach.  When he leaves, he'll be trash like Pittman.
Pittman was never praised as good at teaching technique. SOME of us bitched about him before he left.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

PorkSoda

Anderson is great at teaching because he's the current coach.  When he leaves, he'll be trash like Pittman.
regardless of hogville trends.

Anderson is from the NFL, so he should have a good idea of what the NFL is looking for and what techniques the NFL teaches.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

mhsbc59

I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: mhsbc59 on May 02, 2016, 04:55:31 pm
Being in football for over 15 years

And everyone else lashed out at me saying "everyone knows that" you had said more than just what he was doing is frowned upon, you actually appeared to give a detailed explanation as to why what they were doing was bad, which surprised me a little. 

mhsbc59

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 02, 2016, 05:16:21 pm
And everyone else lashed out at me saying "everyone knows that" you had said more than just what he was doing is frowned upon, you actually appeared to give a detailed explanation as to why what they were doing was bad, which surprised me a little. 

Don't dought the old OL in me I only took over 10,000 hits to the head in the days before they cared about concussions lol.  Glad im still able suprise some folks though
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 02, 2016, 07:05:39 am
Because that's what it means?

He bends at the waist instead of flexing his hips and dropping his butt.  And he ducks his head instead of keeping his eyes up.

Watch some film, it's easy to see.

Acts like he knows everything and makes fun of those who questions vs

Quote from: mhsbc59 on May 02, 2016, 12:07:28 am
it means he doesn't use his legs well and bends his waist to get low instead of his knees which is why he would get beat by good pass rushers.  and ducking his head means he over extends and gets off balance

Someone who actually knows the difference.  This goes to you pigs in the pokey as well, the explanation by mhsbc59, despite the fragmented sentences, was the most insightful.

bphi11ips

Quote from: mhsbc59 on May 02, 2016, 05:25:22 pm
Don't dought the old OL in me I only took over 10,000 hits to the head in the days before they cared about concussions lol.  Glad im still able suprise some folks though

Some of us played before concussions were invented.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

RME

Quote from: Karma on May 02, 2016, 02:37:27 pm
80% of the underclassmen that declared were drafted, so certainly not a blanket rule.

Not sure where you got 80% from.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000658830/article/2016-nfl-draft-30-of-96-earlyentry-prospects-go-undrafted

CHICAGO -- There was a small increase from the previous year in the number of underclassmen who were granted early eligibility into the NFL draft, and a small increase in the percentage of underclassmen who went unpicked followed.

Ninety-six underclassmen were available in the 2016 NFL Draft -- 12 more than the previous year.

Thirty of those players (31 percent) went unpicked, up from 29 percent a year ago.

clutch

Funny how that works isn't it? 6 months ago Pittman was the greatest OL coach in the nation on this board.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 02, 2016, 05:41:21 pm
Acts like he knows everything and makes fun of those who questions vs

Someone who actually knows the difference.  This goes to you pigs in the pokey as well, the explanation by mhsbc59, despite the fragmented sentences, was the most insightful.
Thank you, sir. I have my moments (both good and bad) lol
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 02, 2016, 07:29:59 pm
Some of us played before concussions were invented.
personally i've had over a dozen, but who is counting?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: clutch on May 02, 2016, 08:00:24 pm
Funny how that works isn't it? 6 months ago Pittman was the greatest OL coach in the nation on this board.
Mostly people thought he was cool and recruited well. most werent praising his technique.

LMS

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 02, 2016, 11:31:09 am
I, personally, feel like part of Kirkland's choice had to do with hurt feelings over the Pittman departure.  I could be way off base, but not even talking to CBB about it leads me to believe there may have been some hard feelings about the way it all went down.

This was my thinking as well. I heard he was pissed at Coach B about the whole Pittman situation right after classes left out. As soon as he declared without even listening to him before he hired an agent and put out that statement made me feel like SOMETHING went down. We all know based on his history here and at Wiscy that if he feels a player is ready to go, he will urge them to and not try to bring them back for selfish reasons. I don't think what grade Alex got back or what Coach B said to him, but it sure seems that, based on how long he took to declare after that meeting, he either got a grade that wasn't favorable, or he got a grade that was so-so/okay but he struggled with leaving Fay and the Hogs. Not one person can say that he didn't love his time at UofA. I don't know what DK was thinking; whether his family really did need any kind of larger income, whether he just wanted to leave, or what. I think JWill and Alex really made the best decision. JWill couldn't afford another injury or he'd be labeled injury prone, which is the worst thing for a RB. Childs isn't a RB, but nobody wants to give him another shot because of his knees/legs. I think Alex showed what he could do this year, and another year of him sharing the ball wasn't going to make a difference. Obviously HH made the best decision, and anybody who says otherwise is being a selfish fan. I think DK could have used a year with a former NFL line coach who is really hands on, but we'll never know now. We won't know about him for a little while. Same for JWill and AC. But as a fan of the Hogs, I'm grateful that they all chose to come here and for what they did here, and I hope they all have a long career in the NFL and we can all proudly cheer them on 😁

(sorry so long, haha)

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Surfing8 on May 02, 2016, 12:32:04 pm
Really???

Just because a guy plays LT in college has nothing to do with an NFL scout's ability to look at a player and say "we can use that guy as a guard".
Plenty of guys change positions in the NFL.

Kirkland may end up doing just fine in the NFL.  He went to a team that doesn't seem to have a lot of need there, but who knows.  Work hard and the cream will rise.
You don't go into a recruits home and tell mom and dad "I'm going to get your son drafted" and then out of your own self interest Pittman moves him from RG to LT.

Boom, DK goes undrafted thanks to the traitor Pittman. This tactic that Pittman pulled could be used against him in recruiting if CBB and company use it properly. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Captain Morgan on May 03, 2016, 02:05:31 pm
You don't go into a recruits home and tell mom and dad "I'm going to get your son drafted" and then out of your own self interest Pittman moves him from RG to LT.

Boom, DK goes undrafted thanks to the traitor Pittman. This tactic that Pittman pulled could be used against him in recruiting if CBB and company use it properly. 

And then Pittman comes into the home the next day recruiting and says "It wasn't my idea...............it was my boss and that's one reason why I left".
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PorkRinds

Quote from: Captain Morgan on May 03, 2016, 02:05:31 pm

That move had zero to do with his not getting drafted.  So there's that.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 04, 2016, 08:57:28 am
That move had zero to do with his not getting drafted.  So there's that.
yeah, the draft reports were pretty specific about what his shortcomings were.  They were mechanical, not ability to play the position.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on May 04, 2016, 09:38:53 am
yeah, the draft reports were pretty specific about what his shortcomings were.  They were mechanical, not ability to play the position.
which means PITTMAN'S coaching was the problem, not DK's talent.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 04, 2016, 10:18:43 am
which means PITTMAN'S coaching was the problem, not DK's talent.

You can bet that CSP was coaching him not to have those bad habits.  It's basic OL technique, and Pittman was a good OL coach.  DK's talent was indeed the problem.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 04, 2016, 10:29:17 am
You can bet that CSP was coaching him not to have those bad habits.  It's basic OL technique, and Pittman was a good OL coach.  DK's talent was indeed the problem.
I bet Anderson would have cleaned it up. Sam was lazy at times, man. I agree that we'll never know but let me see the same things said about a couple georgia OLs in a couple years and then we'll have an answer.

Wildhog

Gets it.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

RME

I agree here. To think that it was solely "Pittman's lack of coaching" is almost to think that an NFL coach couldn't coach and teach Kirkland. And that's almost laughable.

And don't give me the "Well, NFL teams and coaches want players to already have those skills/techniques down." If the NFL thinks that guy has enough talent to contribute to a team, I don't think they'd mind doing a little bit of coaching and teaching.

hei5manhog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 04, 2016, 10:32:12 am
I bet Anderson would have cleaned it up. Sam was lazy at times, man. I agree that we'll never know but let me see the same things said about a couple georgia OLs in a couple years and then we'll have an answer.

I think we are better off now simply because a new coach will be dedicated to be here. We didn't get great line play this past year until the middle-end of the season. I suspect we will be more focused this season. 
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on May 02, 2016, 02:21:00 am
Yes, he should have. Might still have left but I'd feel better about it. Anyway, good luck to him, hope his decision works out.
Hopefully Moses Kingsley will take notes from this. ??? :razorback:
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Justagp

Quote from: ricepig on April 30, 2016, 05:55:17 pm
https://twitter.com/FootballScoop/status/726542387120496640

Thank you Rice Pig, those stats are both enlightening and heartbreaking. Many of these kids are from under privileged families and think by leaving college early to go pro they are actually helping their families, but do not understand the ultimate power of an education.

My heart breaks for Denver and the other 1/3 with dreams of being drafted in the NFL. I don't know what the answer is to this problem, but I do hope in the near future the NCAA will recognize these kids and permit them to go back to school to complete their degree if they are not drafted.

hoglady

Quote from: Justagp on May 04, 2016, 08:12:45 pm

Thank you Rice Pig, those stats are both enlightening and heartbreaking. Many of these kids are from under privileged families and think by leaving college early to go pro they are actually helping their families, but do not understand the ultimate power of an education.

My heart breaks for Denver and the other 1/3 with dreams of being drafted in the NFL. I don't know what the answer is to this problem, but I do hope in the near future the NCAA will recognize these kids and permit them to go back to school to complete their degree if they are not drafted.

No kidding.
Especially considering the millions and millions of dollars the schools and NCAA are making on the backs of these kids.
Changes are needed that benefit the athlete and give them options.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Inhogswetrust

May 05, 2016, 06:28:33 am #176 Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 06:15:48 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: hoglady on May 04, 2016, 08:19:34 pm
No kidding.
Especially considering the millions and millions of dollars the schools and NCAA are making on the backs of these kids.
Changes are needed that benefit the athlete and give them options.

Options? They do have options and they used one. Option #1 is to stay in school, get a degree and MAYBE get drafted later or not. They chose option #2 to leave, not get a degree while on scholarship and not play in the pros or perhaps sign a free agent deal and maybe stick around and earn few bucks there or maybe go back to school and pay for it like all the other students do. They shouldn't complain about knowing the rules and then not getting drafted while abiding by the rules. Any and all options in life carry some risk that things won't turnout as planned just like both of those options do.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PorkRinds

I'm interested to see what Coach B says about this situation in his presser today.  I'm assuming he won't pull any punches.

longpig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 05, 2016, 06:28:33 am
Options? They do have options and they used one. Option #1 is to stay in school, get a degree and MAYBE get drafted later or not. They chose option #2 to leave, not get a degree while on scholarship and not play in the pros or perhaps sign a free agent deal and maybe e stick around and earn few bucks there or maybe go back to school and pay for it like all the other students do. They shouldn't complain about knowing the rules and then not getting drafted while abiding by the rules. Any and all options in life carry some risk that things won't turnout as planned just like both of those options do.

Exactly, there are worse things in life than having a year of college left undone in your mid/late twenties.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: longpig on May 05, 2016, 07:50:56 pm
Exactly, there are worse things in life than having a year of college left undone in your mid/late twenties.

A lot of college students leave school before graduating and then go back and finish later. I should know. That's exactly what I did.

jkstock04

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 02, 2016, 03:08:12 pm
Pittman was never praised as good at teaching technique. SOME of us bitched about him before he left.
It was sort of like the elephant in the room type of deal. Most people knew but didn't really wanna talk about it.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 06, 2016, 06:17:14 am
A lot of college students leave school before graduating and then go back and finish later. I should know. That's exactly what I did.

I did as well. The problem is that after you leave school for some reason and things don't work out as planned, life happens. Other things have a tendency to get in the way that makes it more difficult to come back and have the time and money to finish out. And if you wait too long, enhanced degree requirements can occur that extend the hours needed to graduate. So bottom line, short of being a pretty certain Round 1-3 draft choice, it might be better to come back and get your degree.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 06, 2016, 07:14:37 am
I did as well. The problem is that after you leave school for some reason and things don't work out as planned, life happens. Other things have a tendency to get in the way that makes it more difficult to come back and have the time and money to finish out. And if you wait too long, enhanced degree requirements can occur that extend the hours needed to graduate. So bottom line, short of being a pretty certain Round 1-3 draft choice, it might be better to come back and get your degree.

Unless the degree is in PE.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: cosmodrum on May 02, 2016, 02:54:02 pm
Perhaps it's better for him to learn behind a quality OL and be brought on slowly rather than go to a place he would have to play, possibly fail and get bounced from the league in a couple years?
because their are only 2 ol backups per team?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: jkstock04 on May 06, 2016, 06:26:35 am
It was sort of like the elephant in the room type of deal. Most people knew but didn't really wanna talk about it.
totally agree. people had doubts but were afraid to speak of them.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 06, 2016, 07:14:37 am
true, but most of us didnt have the luxury of having 1 year left and a $0.00 student loan balance. That would be an easy fix.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 02, 2016, 11:31:09 am
I, personally, feel like part of Kirkland's choice had to do with hurt feelings over the Pittman departure.  I could be way off base, but not even talking to CBB about it leads me to believe there may have been some hard feelings about the way it all went down.

Agreed.
Didn't I read on here that DK was one of the OL involved when BB insisted Pittman tell the OL himself?
Wasn't there a "visit" to pittman's home later in the night even?
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Buck Ocean

raiders released the name of 13 free agents and he aint one of them
Think like a Jedi

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Buck Ocean on May 10, 2016, 09:40:40 pm
well, there it is then. What now Hogville-draft-guru's who said everybody had to leave early? What is the super sage advice now?

longpig

Quote from: Buck Ocean on May 10, 2016, 09:40:40 pm

sad situation
Don't be scared, be smart.

B501

Grizzlyfan

It sounds like DK's natural ability/strength/"talent" were enough to overcome the mechanical shortcomings.  Maybe he never felt the need to fix mechanical problems when he was manhandling SEC defensive linemen?

daprospecta

Even with his shortcomings, he most certainly played well enough to get a UDFA contract.  He will be in a camp during preseason. 

Buck Ocean

Think like a Jedi