Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How have your expectations changed?

Started by rzrbackramsfan, April 23, 2016, 05:16:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: westside_player on April 27, 2016, 12:04:37 am
Yes. He knows football but he is emotionally unstable

Those type should not be allowed to watch and follow sports.................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hog N Bama

Quote from: mhsbc59 on April 23, 2016, 07:24:26 pm
so this is where the downers came ok cool
this is where the downers gather to see what sticks among them.

jgphillips3

SemperHawg

I am still on my 5 to 6 wins prediction.  New QB and a new O line, one of the toughest schedules in the country.  Which by the way is still better than 2013 when we were faced with the same situation Coach B's first year. 

From an expectation stand point I mostly hope to see AA maturing quicker and not taking the beating that his brother did.  As I have stated AA has much more talent around him than his brother did as a first year starter so I am thinking AA gets a couple more wins than his brother did in that situation. 

Pork Twain

I was around 9-4 to 7-5 before this practice and I still am.  I will try to update my prediction after each and every practice going forward.

Sat, Sept 3 vs LA Tech 1-0

Sat, Sept 10 @ TCU 1-1 could easily be a Loss

Sat, Sept 17 vs Texas State 2-1

Sat, Sept 24 vs Texas A&M* 3-1

Sat, Oct 1   vs Alcorn State 4-1

Sat, Oct 8 vs Alabama 4-2

Sat, Oct 15 vs Ole Miss 5-2 could easily be a Loss

Sat, Oct 22 @ Auburn 6-2

Sat, Nov 5   vs Florida 7-2 could easily be a Loss

Sat, Nov 12 vs LSU 7-3

Sat, Nov 19 @Miss St 7-4

Sat, Nov 26 @ Missouri8-4

Bowl Game 9-4
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: westside_player on April 27, 2016, 12:04:37 am
Yes. He knows football but he is emotionally unstable

I know football and am not concerned. My happiness and fulfillment is not tied to team of 18-22 year old college students.

Should be a new thing for his therapist to discuss.
This is my non-signature signature.

Prestworthy

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 27, 2016, 08:42:18 am
I was around 9-4 to 7-5 before this practice and I still am.  I will try to update my prediction after each and every practice going forward.

Sat, Oct 22 @ Auburn 6-2

Sat, Nov 12 vs LSU 7-3

Sat, Nov 19 @Miss St 7-4

Bowl Game 9-4
I don't see a loss to MSU this year.  No more Dak and they have no running game.  I believe the hogs win by 2 touchdowns in Starkville.

JayBell

April 27, 2016, 08:50:55 am #107 Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 09:06:01 am by JayBell
Think of what the last three years would have been without 8(!) choke losses to Missouri, A&M and Mississippi State.

Arkansas should be head and shoulders above those three again this season, enough so that those three should be wins, especially since Arkansas closes the season with two of them.  Then LaTech, Texas State and Alcorn State.  That's 6 wins right there.

For some reason, Bielema's teams have played very well against Ole Miss and LSU, both of which they get at home, plus Florida and Alabama.  Then Auburn and TCU.

You're being pretty pessimistic to expect Arkansas to go 2-4 of those six games when four of them are in Fayetteville.

I'd say 10 wins should be the target, 9 is expected.

Prestworthy

Sat, Oct 22 @ Auburn 6-2

Sat, Nov 12 vs LSU 7-3

Sat, Nov 19 @Miss St 7-4

Bowl Game 9-4
La Tech W1-0
@TCU L1-1
Texas St W2-1
Texas A&M W3-1
Alcorn St W4-1
BAMA L4-2
Ole Miss L4-3
@Auburn W5-3
Florida L5-4
LSU L5-5
MSU W6-5
Mizzou W7-5

ChitownHawg

Quote from: JayBell on April 27, 2016, 08:50:55 am
Think of what the last three years would have been without 8(!) choke losses to Missouri, A&M and Mississippi State.

Arkansas should be head and shoulders above those three again this season, enough so that those three should be wins, especially since Arkansas closes the season with two of them.  Then LaTech, Texas State and Alcorn State.  That's 6 wins right there.

For some reason, Bielema's teams have played very well against Ole Miss and LSU, both of which they get at home, plus Florida and Alabama.  Then Auburn and TCU.

You're being pretty pessimistic to expect Arkansas to go 2-4 of those six games when four of them are in Fayetteville.

We are seeing eye to eye on the predictions. Until some thing bad happens, and the Spring game wasn't it, I will stick to this prediction.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ricepig

What about after every summer workout, those are just as important!!!

ChitownHawg

Sat, Oct 22 @ Auburn 6-2

Sat, Nov 12 vs LSU 7-3

Sat, Nov 19 @Miss St 7-4

Bowl Game 9-4

Pretty close to my thinking. I have us beating MSU which takes us to 10 wins.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Pork Twain

Quote from: JayBell on April 27, 2016, 08:50:55 am

In my mind, I am being realistic.  Then again, I did not post my predictions for anyone's approval.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 27, 2016, 09:30:11 am
In my mind, I am being realistic.

Come on now you know you wanted my approval.  ;)

I feel calling for 9 to 10 wins is a lot easier than predicting where the wins come from. While some of my game predictions are different than what you have - as you pointed out some of the games are toss ups.

For me any 10 win season has to have a bounce or two during the season go your way. Especially in the ultra tough West.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Wildhog on April 23, 2016, 05:20:37 pm
7-5, and another rent-a-win bowl. 

In year four.

We "built" our way to 7-5 with a win against a terrible team in a bowl last year...with a 5th year QB who was the best in the SEC, the best TE in America, a huge and veteran offensive line, and an outstanding RB.  That was the apex of the first "building" project.

Now in year four we start over, rebuilding toward our next apex.  The question is whether it will be higher than the last one.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 27, 2016, 10:23:54 am
We "built" our way to 7-5 with a win against a terrible team in a bowl last year...with a 5th year QB who was the best in the SEC, the best TE in America, a huge and veteran offensive line, and an outstanding RB.  That was the apex of the first "building" project.

Now in year four we start over, rebuilding toward our next apex.  The question is whether it will be higher than the last one.

Can we send Wildhog in for a bag chips and drive off in the bus without him?  ;D

Pork Twain

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 27, 2016, 09:44:35 am
Come on now you know you wanted my approval.  ;)

I feel calling for 9 to 10 wins is a lot easier than predicting where the wins come from. While some of my game predictions are different than what you have - as you pointed out some of the games are toss ups.

For me any 10 win season has to have a bounce or two during the season go your way. Especially in the ultra tough West.

Agree completely and I think that EXPECTING 9 wins is like begging to be disappointed.

Hawgzinbowlz

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 27, 2016, 11:13:58 am
Agree completely and I think that EXPECTING 9 wins is like begging to be disappointed.

Yep no team can expect to win the West. Not even Bama. Though sound no mistakes football and a little bit of Lady Luck smiling on you sure can improve your odds. By the end of September we may know what this team looks like.

I say may because last year at the end of September I was throwing my 8 win prediction into the trash can. Those young men showed me what they were made of. Something better than me I guess.  ;)

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 27, 2016, 10:23:54 am

Yeah, not really. Pretty hard to sustain a building project when you can't lay a foundation. Let's try having the heart of the coaching staff intact for more than one consecutive season.

One consecutive season. I amuse myself.

The foundation of Bielema's program was supposed to be the buildup of depth on the lines. The offensive line never got there. I hope they're wildly throwing around offers to grad transfers, because the Oline needs a stopgap.

And how about all those running backs flocking to Fayetteville? Maybe they recognized the Oline situation. At least the Hogs signed one possible star and another speedy scatback.
[CENSORED]!

PorkSoda

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 27, 2016, 01:43:04 pm
Yeah, not really. Pretty hard to sustain a building project when you can't lay a foundation. Let's try having the heart of the coaching staff intact for more than one consecutive season.

The foundation of Bielema's program was supposed to be the buildup of depth on the lines. The offensive line never got there. I hope they're wildly throwing around offers to grad transfers, because the Oline needs a stopgap.

And how about all those running backs flocking to Fayetteville? Maybe they recognized the Oline situation. At least the Hogs signed one possible star and another speedy scatback.
life rarely goes as planned.  CBB is going to have to get used to adapting on the fly.  If he can instill the right attitude we will have a shot in every game we play.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Huds_HawgTide

"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

Huds_HawgTide

I think we go 3-1 at home in SEC...think we can win 2 SEC road games to get to 5-3...if we beat TCU we get to 9 if not 8
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

lawhawg20

I'm going with 9-4. That's less because I understand football and/or scheduling, and more because I am a die-hard fan.  Plus I drink.

ChitownHawg

Hopefully this is sarcasm if not then grow a pair. The sky isn't falling.  ;) Go Hogs!

HogMantheIntruder

Actually, we signed two possible stars, which is one less than what the coaches saw as ideal. Both are highly recruited 4*s. Yes, we are short on numbers when it comes to the OL, but you seem to think the program is in ruin.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Poppa Tart on April 27, 2016, 04:54:33 pm
Actually, we signed two possible stars, which is one less than what the coaches saw as ideal. Both are highly recruited 4*s. Yes, we are short on numbers when it comes to the OL, but you seem to think the program is in ruin.

Biggus' response did seem to surprise and why I asked if it was sarcasm. Otherwise his view of the team has become very negative

Wildhog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 27, 2016, 06:02:32 pm
Biggus' response did seem to surprise and why I asked if it was sarcasm. Otherwise his view of the team has become very negative

Or he's simply acknowledging the obvious?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on April 27, 2016, 06:34:50 pm
Or he's simply acknowledging the obvious?

Obvious that we have question marks? I figure everyone is pretty much doing the same, probably not Bama, but the rest of the West has definite question marks.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: ricepig on April 27, 2016, 07:08:48 pm
Obvious that we have question marks? I figure everyone is pretty much doing the same, probably not Bama, but the rest of the West has definite question marks.

Isn't LSU coming back pretty well intact?
I know the QB is a question mark, but Fournette, etc is formidable.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

fieldturf

Sat, Oct 22 @ Auburn 6-2

Sat, Nov 12 vs LSU 7-3

Sat, Nov 19 @Miss St 7-4

Bowl Game 9-4

More likely to beat TCU down there than beat A&M in Dallas.  A&M will be improved this year!!

ricepig

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 27, 2016, 07:16:02 pm

Yeah, but that question mark counts for 3........

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 27, 2016, 07:16:02 pm

Yea but les miles is their coach

reddogjcss

I say we win at least 8 and win our bowl. Min of 9 wins with hopes of 11 wins

ChitownHawg

Biggus Piggus

This system was designed to be rolling when it has fourth- and fifth-year players flowing through the Oline every year. Barry Alvarez built that at Wisconsin, and Bielema inherited it. He never had to build it from scratch. Arkansas is several years away from having that kind of Oline program rolling.
[CENSORED]!

PonderinHog

ShadowHawg

We have replaced too much on the offensive line to be very good before late October. We are also breaking in a new QB. Those are not ingredients for a highly successful season. They are ingredients for a rebuilding year.

I won't be sold on our defense until I see them against someone else. They have a long way to go to be considered a good unit. I love the new hire for the secondary coach and won't be shocked at all to see them make huge strides. I believe Agim can provide a better pass rush than last season but that is still a lot to put on frosh's shoulders in this league. I think this season is on the shoulders of the defense. If they play like they did last season this year will be a disaster. Hoping for the best.

I see as few as 4 wins up to 7.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 27, 2016, 10:08:54 pm
This system was designed to be rolling when it has fourth- and fifth-year players flowing through the Oline every year. Barry Alvarez built that at Wisconsin, and Bielema inherited it. He never had to build it from scratch. Arkansas is several years away from having that kind of Oline program rolling.

I believe the key to why it isn't rolling yet as he had at Wisconsin is due to the need for the same quality depth on the defensive line. CBB stated once that he felt the biggest difference between the conferences was the defensive line depth.

That in the B10 he could play his defensive starters with little rotation needed during the game. He now knows you have to have quality rotation during the game in the SEC.

So in other words he has to build two lines at Arkansas where at Wisconsin he could win with one having quality depth. Yet knowing this doesn't take away from my belief that we have a team that can remain in the upper half of the West.

Just not as concerned as you seem to be. Maybe ignorance is bliss in this case.  ;D

I guess it is due to the fact when he arrived I wanted him to get and keep us out of the cellar. I wasn't counting the days to a championship. I wanted our program to gain respectability first and the championships would eventually follow. This outlook helps me be excited about this year.

Could the season go down the toilet? Sure. That can happen to ANY team in the West with a little bad luck. The quality of our athletes has improved and we can field a strong team. We simply need a bit of luck early in the season as they gain game experience.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 28, 2016, 05:33:00 am
I believe the key to why it isn't rolling yet as he had at Wisconsin is due to the need for the same quality depth on the defensive line. CBB stated once that he felt the biggest difference between the conferences was the defensive line depth.

That in the B10 he could play his defensive starters with little rotation needed during the game. He now knows you have to have quality rotation during the game in the SEC.

So in other words he has to build two lines at Arkansas where at Wisconsin he could win with one having quality depth. Yet knowing this doesn't take away from my belief that we have a team that can remain in the upper half of the West.

Just not as concerned as you seem to be. Maybe ignorance is bliss in this case.  ;D

I guess it is due to the fact when he arrived I wanted him to get and keep us out of the cellar. I wasn't counting the days to a championship. I wanted our program to gain respectability first and the championships would eventually follow. This outlook helps me be excited about this year.

Could the season go down the toilet? Sure. That can happen to ANY team in the West with a little bad luck. The quality of our athletes has improved and we can field a strong team. We simply needs a bit of luck early in the season as they gain game experience.

Good points.
Very possible.

Like you, I've developed the long build view.
Depth overall is better.
There's real talent in many positions throughout the team.
OL is the only lagging position, but it's not talent poor just experience poor with depth questions.

If the OL hasn't smoothed out by the beginning of season six, I'll be upset.  That will be two more recruiting classes with a few JUCOs perhaps to balance the classes.  It should also be two years of development.

I can't be upset though.   The team is in better shape overall now than since maybe the early King Clown days or even longer.

With the Chaney Bromance Drama disrupting the recruiting out of the way, I believe this area will shore up quivkly.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

presidenthog

I actually think as long as this team doesn't go total fubar like last year in the early part of the season and beat tcu and a&m we can win 9 (not even looking at the schedule btw. I expect us to start slow though and then get good in novembert as usual). what is funny is this team probably isn't as good as last years, but we may win 1 more game. we so should have won 10 games last year but toledo and tech.

the key is getting big plays using our WR'S off sweeps and  bubble screens.

not this coming year but the year after I'll be wondering what this team will look like due to a ton of seniors leaving. I know that is  long ways away but this year's team is heavy senior laden as far as defense and WR. we may even see duwop go back to WR his senior year as we will only have Cornelius as a senior that year(I think duwop is a nfl wr. I wish he would have stuck to that position his whole career).

Steef

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 27, 2016, 10:08:54 pm

This is true.

Pittman didn't help the situation, either.

presidenthog

Quote from: Steef on April 28, 2016, 05:54:47 am
This is true.

Pittman didn't help the situation, either.
alot of blame is going on him. we(CBB)wanted to keep him badly, but now I think it's kinda obvious he checked out when we let chaney go.

Steef

Quote from: presidenthog on April 28, 2016, 05:58:17 am
alot of blame is going on him. we(CBB)wanted to keep him badly, but now I think it's kinda obvious he checked out when we let chaney go.

We all thought he was fantastic. Me included. But that was based more on reputation than results. I knew something was seriously wrong during the Toledo game.

I hope Anderson is the guy to fix it. But our Oline right now,  does not look like someone has been rebuilding it for three years already.

Biggus is right. The 16 season will be defined by how the Oline does.

This was always going to be a slump year anyway. New QB & new RBs. But it's no accident that we are already committing Oline recruits for the 17 class.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Steef on April 28, 2016, 06:07:39 am
We all thought he was fantastic. Me included. But that was based more on reputation than results. I knew something was seriously wrong during the Toledo game.

I hope Anderson is the guy to fix it. But our Oline right now,  does not look like someone has been rebuilding it for three years already.

Biggus is right. The 16 season will be defined by how the Oline does.

This was always going to be a slump year anyway. New QB & new RBs. But it's no accident that we are already committing Oline recruits for the 17 class.

Steef we had 8 wins last year, so what does a "slump year" look like to you. Slumping from 8 wins probably means 6 wins. Do you really think we are heading for only 6 wins? Just asking.

Steef

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 28, 2016, 06:29:15 am
Steef we had 8 wins last year, so what does a "slump year" look like to you. Slumping from 8 wins probably means 6 wins. Do you really think we are heading for only 6 wins? Just asking.

Predicting wins by numbers is dangerous. Two teams play each game and there's no way to predict right now, how good any of them will be on the day they play us.

Can we expect LSU to self destruct again? What will a second year Florida team look like. Will a rebuilding TCU team be as formidable as a seasoned Tech team was? What will MSU look like without their star QB?

What I mean by "slump" is...the aspects of our team that produced a great second half of the season last year...a lot of them are gone. And some of them take time to replace.

16s Hog offense will have to play catch-up to equal 15s Hog offense. Just to break even. In a league that has formidable defenses.

Win more or less than last year? We should have beaten Toledo and could easily have lost to Miss. Could have beaten MSU.

Last year's numbers are meaningless for "predicting". We aren't rebuilding in a vaccuum.

I "predict" this offense will score fewer points than last year. I "predict" a brand new QB will be intercepted more than we were last year. I predict we will have trouble running the ball again.

How many wins/losses that comes to...has other variables. If our defense shuts down our opponents, we don't HAVE to score as much.

I have said for a while now, that 17 will be better than 16.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 28, 2016, 06:29:15 am

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 27, 2016, 08:54:00 am
La Tech W1-0
@TCU L1-1
Texas St W2-1
Texas A&M W3-1  (Tossup)
Alcorn St W4-1
BAMA L4-2
Ole Miss L4-3
@Auburn W5-3   (Tossup)
Florida L5-4   (Tossup)
LSU L5-5
MSU W6-5
Mizzou W7-5

I agreed with Prestworthy except for two wins and one loss I called tossups, three tossup total.
If we get two to go our way, that puts us at 7-5.
If it doesn't, 6-6.

I've said I think 7-5 with 6 to 8 wins being the most likely zone of possibility.

So, not answering for Steef, but I can see 6-6 as possible but most likely being the low side of the most probable outcomes.
His response to me:

Pork Twain

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 27, 2016, 06:02:32 pm
You can never take him too seriously when it comes to coaches.  One day he hates MA and the next he is telling everyone to be patient and give him a few more years.

One thing is true, is that a high turnover rate with assistant coaches in college sports is the new norm.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Steef on April 28, 2016, 06:56:42 am
Predicting wins by numbers is dangerous. Two teams play each game and there's no way to predict right now, how good any of them will be on the day they play us.

Can we expect LSU to self destruct again? What will a second year Florida team look like. Will a rebuilding TCU team be as formidable as a seasoned Tech team was? What will MSU look like without their star QB?

What I mean by "slump" is...the aspects of our team that produced a great second half of the season last year...a lot of them are gone. And some of them take time to replace.

16s Hog offense will have to play catch-up to equal 15s Hog offense. Just to break even. In a league that has formidable defenses.

Win more or less than last year? We should have beaten Toledo and could easily have lost to Miss. Could have beaten MSU.

Last year's numbers are meaningless for "predicting". We aren't rebuilding in a vaccuum.

I "predict" this offense will score fewer points than last year. I "predict" a brand new QB will be intercepted more than we were last year. I predict we will have trouble running the ball again.

How many wins/losses that comes to...has other variables. If our defense shuts down our opponents, we don't HAVE to score as much.

I have said for a while now, that 17 will be better than 16.
Hard to disagree with that assessment.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: fieldturf on April 27, 2016, 07:18:39 pm

More likely to beat TCU down there than beat A&M in Dallas.  A&M will be improved this year!!

I don't know if they'll be improved this year or not -- they've got serious QB issues IMO.

BUT, I agree it will be easier to beat they Horney Toads than the Aggies this fall.  TCU is replacing a lot of critical parts -- more than we are.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858