Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who is the Hogs star?

Started by TheRazorbackGuy, April 16, 2015, 01:02:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRazorbackGuy

??? ??? ???

Sorry but I'm not seeing one and no one wins at any level of basketball without a star.

So when rebuilding next year will a star emerge?

Hawg Red

I'm going to say Jimmy Whitt emerges as the "star" of the team.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 16, 2015, 01:03:27 pm
I think he will be our leading scorer but Beard might be our best player

Tusks

Beard, but he really needs to put together a great OFFSEASON.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Hawg Red

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on April 16, 2015, 01:04:26 pm
I think he will be our leading scorer but Beard might be our best player

I think Beard's size and lack of athleticism hurt him in that regard. I would bank on Beard being the team leader, though.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 16, 2015, 01:06:29 pm
I think Beard's size and lack of athleticism hurt him in that regard. I would bank on Beard being the team leader, though.

Even bad teams have leaders. Who is it that is going to be the guy that when they get on the floor, EVERYONE pays attention?  That was what Portis and Qualls brought. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

daprospecta

Moses. The kid has it.  He didn't get enough game time to feel comfortable but I can remember Moses taking over a few games last year with his defense and his close shots.  I honestly think Moses could average a double double if he plays as much as Portis did this year.

PonderinHog

Quote from: daprospecta on April 16, 2015, 01:41:35 pm
Moses. The kid has it.  He didn't get enough game time to feel comfortable but I can remember Moses taking over a few games last year with his defense and his close shots.  I honestly think Moses could average a double double if he plays as much as Portis did this year.
I hope you're right.  That would be awesome if it happens.  I think Whitt is going to surprise some people next year.

Southern Hogspitality

Moses won't be able to consistently stay out of foul trouble enough to get meaningful playing time.  He also needs to learn when to contest a shot and when to get position for the defensive rebound.

I don't think it is going to be pretty next year.

TheRazorbackGuy

Kingsley didn't get enough playing time bcuz he got in foul trouble too often early in the game.

-Blu

Star will be either Jimmy Whitt, or a JUCO/Grad Transfer guy that's not on campus yet.

On the floor leaders will be Beard and Durham.

Richard_white

Jimmy Whitt will be the star next year.  We will need a couple leaders and Beard and hopefully Durham will be the leaders.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on April 16, 2015, 01:02:29 pm
So when rebuilding next year will a star emerge?

Jimmy Whitt should emerge from the pack mid season and separate himself as a scorer who can create with the ball in his hand. Beard will be a glue guy who does whatever it takes to help the team (not great at anything but good at a lot of things). Hopefully, Durham should step up as a distributor and 3 point shooter which will be a great asset to Kingsley who needs a point guard to get him involved in the offense. Bell can help himself by further developing the running floater that he used effectively but not nearly enough this year and becoming more balanced offensively.

Development of role players will be key. The role players main role will be to realize that they are role players and not stars. That's when the team will start to come together and the cream then rises to the top. This will be determined by who does the most on the court to help the team win.

Who will be the star? Well, in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. So, I guess it depends on how you define "star". Some teams can be so loaded that one guy doesn't really stand out. Others so bad that an average player looks like a stud compared to the rest of the nags in the stable. So there.

I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Danny J

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 16, 2015, 01:03:27 pm
Yes and it will be evident from day one.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Danny J on April 16, 2015, 03:54:45 pm
Yes and it will be evident from day one.
What took you so long ???

labb

Hate to say it but  Moses posses very few basketball skills. Can run and jump but has a lot to learn about the game of BB. Maybe this Summer he picks up a lot.

pfrg999

Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Danny J

Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2015, 03:56:53 pm
What took you so long ???
Been super busy.

PS...sorry to hear about your Father.

Atlhogfan1

April 16, 2015, 05:47:12 pm #19 Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 07:32:32 pm by Atlhogfan1
If Whitt does well enough to be considered a star, he will be a rarity for Coach A when you look at his head coaching career. 

Freshmen stats
Player     GP MIN   PPG   RPG   APG   SPG   BPG   TPG   FG%   FT%   3P%
BJ Young 32 25.2   15.3   3.1   2.3    1.2     0.3    2.3    .504   .743   .413

It took him 351 shots in 807 minutes to get to those scoring stats.  Only Bell has shot more often as far as the guards and his shots per minute are going down. BJ led the team in pts, shot attempts, FTA's and turnovers. 

Portis and Demario Eddins both avg double figures as freshmen but were not their teams' leading scorers their Fr season(Portis 2nd Eddins 3rd). 

As mentioned earlier, Moses and Beard share a common opportunity - the need to improve upon defending without fouling. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

widespreadsooie

It's Anton Beard guys, kid is a player and will be our general next season. Jimmy Whitt should and has to be his right hand man. Moses and JaCorey have to improve and give me efficient play from Bell for the love God.

TrueBlue

We need some players to give us a good 10-12 minutes each game from the bench also.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 16, 2015, 05:47:12 pm
If Whitt does well enough to be considered a star, he will be a rarity for Coach A when you look at his head coaching career. 

Freshmen stats
Player     GP MIN   PPG   RPG   APG   SPG   BPG   TPG   FG%   FT%   3P%
BJ Young 32 25.2   15.3   3.1   2.3    1.2     0.3    2.3    .504   .743   .413

It took him 351 shots in 807 minutes to get to those scoring stats.  Only Bell has shot more often when on the court as far as the guards and his shots per minute are going down. BJ led the team in pts, shot attempts, FTA's and turnovers. 

Portis and Demario Eddins both avg double figures as freshmen but were not their teams' leading scorers their Fr season(Portis 2nd Eddins 3rd). 

As mentioned earlier, Moses and Beard share a common opportunity - the need to improve upon defending without fouling. 

I don't think Whitt will have the same freshman impact that Patrick Beverly had and we need that type of freshman production to fulfill your expectations

lefty08

Not saying he will, just curious why you don't think so
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

rude1

LOL seriously? Ummm when Powell and Young were leaving how many looked at Qualls and said "there's our man"?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rude1 on April 16, 2015, 07:37:43 pm
LOL seriously? Ummm when Powell and Young were leaving how many looked at Qualls and said "there's our man"?

He wasn't in the first season after Powell and Young.  Who do you believe will emerge as the team's star?  Jacorey?  Bell? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

rude1

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 16, 2015, 07:45:28 pm
He wasn't in the first season after Powell and Young.  Who do you believe will emerge as the team's star?  Jacorey?  Bell? 
Just as we couldn't see that Portis and Qualls would turn into what they did, it's hard to predict who will step forward, I think it will be more by committee but here are some I look to help: Beard, Kingsley, Hannah, Bell, Whitt, and maybe even Durham, with others stepping in and providing good role play.

zumhog

Quote from: labb on April 16, 2015, 03:59:10 pm
Hate to say it but  Moses posses very few basketball skills. Can run and jump but has a lot to learn about the game of BB. Maybe this Summer he picks up a lot.
Ima gonna have to agree with you. The cupboard is bare, there are a few cans of bean and bacon and tomato soup but the meat and potatoes are gone.

Big Nasty 34

I think Hannahs will have a nice year. Not the "star" probably, but will be able to keep us in games hopefully.

WorfHog

Quote from: labb on April 16, 2015, 03:59:10 pm

I'm 100% sure that the staff will be working with him most of the summer and I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see Moses going to a skills camp of some sort along with Beard and maybe Bell.

TRUHOG718

Hate to put the pressure on a non top 50 freshman. But as Jimmy Buckets goes so does this team. He's going to have to be extra special for this team to make some noise.
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

hogsanity

to many people, the star of this team sit at the head of the bench wearing a suit .
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: hogsanity on April 17, 2015, 12:29:08 pm
to many people, the star of this team sit at the head of the bench wearing a suit .

+1 coach speech. I'm not sure if any suit would have an easy time taking  this group to the dance.

770john111

HawgWild

Beard will be the leader. Moses will show much Improvement. We're going to be just fine.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: HawgWild on April 17, 2015, 05:20:43 pm
Beard will be the leader. Moses will show much Improvement. We're going to be just fine.

Losing 4 of 5 starters including two guys who will be playing in the NBA next year and be just fine?
??? ??? ??? ??? ???

lefty08

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on April 17, 2015, 06:00:13 pm

Losing 4 of 5 starters including two guys who will be playing in the NBA next year and be just fine?
??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Yep, just fine
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: hogsanity on April 17, 2015, 12:29:08 pm

... while the real star went largely unnoticed:  those who unwittingly put together a conference schedule that was so imbalanced in Arkansas' favor.

Each team plays 18 conference games.  Of those, they play 5 teams twice.  Here's how that broke down this year.

Number of teams                     Number of teams
                                     played twice                           played twice
                                        in top 9                               in bottom 5

1) Kentucky (18-0)                   3                                         2
2) Arkansas (13-5)                   1             easiest schedule      4
3/6) LSU (11-7)                       3                                         2
3/6) Texas A&M (11-7)             3                                         2
3/6) Georgia (11-7)                  3                                         2
3/6) Ole Miss (11-7)                 4                                         1                       
7) Vanderbilt (9-9)                   3                                         2
8/9) Alabama (8-10)                 3                                         2
8/9) Florida (8-10)                   5           toughest schedule      0
10) Tennessee   (7-11)             3                                         2
11/12) South Carolina (6-12)      4                                         1
11/12) Mississippi St (6-12)        3                                         2
13) Auburn (4-14)                     4                                        1
14) Missouri (3-15)                    3                                        2

Undoubtedly the coaches in the conference have noticed the scheduling disparities that have come along with expansion.  This is the kind of thing that will cost a coach his job, if it hasn't already.  This year it appears to have saved a coach his job.

Eleven of Arkansas' eighteen conference games this year were decided by six points or less.  This illustrates that the team was playing to the level of the competition.   And the competition was relatively weak.  Incredibly, the team won 8 of those 11.  This indicates the team had a mental toughness which has been missing in Arkansas teams since the responsibility for hiring coaches was taken away from Frank Broyles and which has not been a characteristic of MA's teams either, which suggests there was at least one player on the team who was the driving force and who was able to push his team over the hump in games they could keep close. 

Next year's team was going to have a hard time improving on this year's record even if Portis and Qualls came back.  If the driving force of the team is now gone as is likely then that challenge just got a lot stiffer, especially when taking into account other anomalies that had to occur this year to push up the win total such as the heavily skewed SEC schedule,  Alabama having 4 players foul out in a close OT win at home, and SMU missing two players in a win on the road.

Jackrabbit Hog

If it's Jacorey, I'm going to start drinking heavily.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

TheRazorbackGuy

+1 that's why this image matters
Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 17, 2015, 08:59:43 pm
If it's Jacorey, I'm going to start drinking heavily.

secfan30

Quote from: TrueBlue on April 16, 2015, 06:10:23 pm
We need some players to give us a good 10-12 minutes each game from the bench also.

Maybe we can pull a "Gunslinger" move from the 80's and bring in a guy named Tray Beggers...

secfan30

Beard and Moses could step up... Don't count out Durham and Thompson as a difference maker in some games.

fineswine

There's some serious reaching in this thread.  All that's left is a result of all of the staff's hard recruiting efforts.  There is no one left to blame.  All of the, "wait till Mike gets his kids in here" garbage is gone.  They are all his and let the NIT bubble be your ceiling going into this season. 

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: fineswine on April 18, 2015, 05:06:13 am
There's some serious reaching in this thread.  All that's left is a result of all of the staff's hard recruiting efforts.  There is no one left to blame.  All of the, "wait till Mike gets his kids in here" garbage is gone.  They are all his and let the NIT bubble be your ceiling going into this season. 

Let Mike get his kids has been the long excuse. Don't forget "This team is young" excuse. The excuse this year Will be "We lost Portis and Qualls"

HawgWild

Didn't we play with Mike's players this year? Hasn't each season Mike's been here been better than the one before? Why are we crying gloom and doom before it happens. Me, I'm looking for an even better year next year.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: HawgWild on April 18, 2015, 04:13:28 pm
Didn't we play with Mike's players this year? Hasn't each season Mike's been here been better than the one before? Why are we crying gloom and doom before it happens. Me, I'm looking for an even better year next year.

Losing 2 NBA guys and 4 starters and going to be better?
??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Letsroll1200

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on April 18, 2015, 11:26:54 am

Let Mike get his kids has been the long excuse. Don't forget "This team is young" excuse. The excuse this year Will be "We lost Portis and Qualls"

This is why we play the games! How much production did other SEC teams lose? Everybody lost players!!!!

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 18, 2015, 04:41:02 pm
This is why we play the games! How much production did other SEC teams lose? Everybody lost players!!!!

As much of a homer as you are trying to be. If you understand basketball you know you can't win without stars. Sometimes it takes 3 stars. But stars are important and we just lost two of them. Don't act like this is a 27 win team next year.

rzrbackramsfan

I remember when missouri lost all their starters after the elite 8, they loaded up on shooters and won a lot of games that year.  I'm thinking were going to see a lot of that next year.  I'm so excited to see our team next year, we're going to be taking a lot of 3's I'm guessing and our offensive rebounding could even improve.