Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OL recruits & commitments

Started by Tusks, November 24, 2014, 11:20:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tusks

I would love to see the hogs close on Merrick & Barnett.

That would give them an awesome future OL

4 * by some services Merrick @ LT
4 * by all services     Barnett @ LG
4 * by most services Rogers  @ C
3 * by all services     J Allen   @ RG
4 * by some services Jackson @ RT

That OL could punch it in from the 1.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

redeye

Quote from: tusked on November 24, 2014, 11:20:14 am

That OL could punch it in from the 1.

Argh... that just keeps gnawing at me.

Tusks

I think that the potential new group would be much more 'athletic' than the current line.  Not knocking the current line but they are a little limited, screens etc.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

COCHISE

RazorPiggie

And currently

3* Skipper
3* Tretola
3*/4* Smothers/Ragnow
4* Kirkland
4* Cook

Next year could be

3* Skipper
3* Tretola
4* Ragnow
4* Kirkland
4* Wallace

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 24, 2014, 12:53:33 pm
And currently

3* Skipper
3* Tretola
3*/4* Smothers/Ragnow
4* Kirkland
4* Cook

Next year could be

3* Skipper
3* Tretola
4* Ragnow
4* Kirkland
4* Wallace

If my memory serves correct, Mitch was a 4* on at least some services.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hawgball9401

What about Reeve Koehler?  I haven't heard much about him?

HoneyNuttPetrinoos

Isn't Smother back next year or is he gone?  I think he has improved so much from the spring. 

WaltonCollege

Great post id love to get either Merrick or Barnett but with bielema and Pittman nothing is out of the question. I wouldn't be surprised if one of these guys has already told bielema he's in

redeye

Quote from: COCHISE on November 24, 2014, 12:01:33 pm
I miss Kiero.

Yea, good point!

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 24, 2014, 04:17:23 pm
If my memory serves correct, Mitch was a 4* on at least some services.

Yea, I remember that and I also remember him having an offer from Alabama.

LJHOG

Quote from: redeye on November 24, 2014, 11:49:53 am
Argh... that just keeps gnawing at me.
I don't think it's all on the line. I think the way we approach it allows the defense to put 11 in the box and shoot the gaps.

Wildhog

Next year's OL:

T: Skipper
G: Tretola
C: Ragnow/Smothers
G: Kirkland
T: Wallace

That's nasty.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

blu

Will probably have some true freshmen in the two deep - not much depth after that group of 6
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

Wildhog

Quote from: blu on November 24, 2014, 10:18:50 pm
Will probably have some true freshmen in the two deep - not much depth after that group of 6

Very thin at tackle, especially.
1909/1964/1965/1977

onebadrubi

Quote from: Wildhog on November 24, 2014, 10:07:16 pm
Next year's OL:

T: Skipper
G: Tretola
C: Ragnow/Smothers
G: Kirkland
T: Wallace

That's nasty.

I'm curious if we don't see skipper change positions possibly.  Nothing to go off of here and completely a hunch, but I could see it tried in the spring

WBC Hog

I have a feeling Ragnow will move to OT. He hasn't grasped snapping the ball well and with Rogers enrolling in the spring, as long as he is healthy, I expect Rogers to take over the backup C spot.

Tim Harris

Quote from: HoneyNuttPetrinoos on November 24, 2014, 05:07:11 pm
Isn't Smother back next year or is he gone?  I think he has improved so much from the spring. 

Yes he will be a Sr next year.

Tim Harris

Quote from: WBC Hog on November 24, 2014, 11:45:41 pm
I have a feeling Ragnow will move to OT. He hasn't grasped snapping the ball well and with Rogers enrolling in the spring, as long as he is healthy, I expect Rogers to take over the backup C spot.

Coaches have spoke very highly of him this year.  My guess is Mitch starts at Center with Ragnow rotating in and Rogers RS.  Then the following year Ragnow starts as  JR and Rogers is the backup as a RS freshman.  Then 2 years after that Rogers takes over as the starter as a RS JR.  That is how Bielema would prefer to run his program.  There will always be kids who are to good not to start but I expect in the future that to be skill players and OL guys will RS.  If we can RS a guy like Wallace this year then I expect most to RS going forward.

Tim Harris

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 24, 2014, 10:26:52 pm
I'm curious if we don't see skipper change positions possibly.  Nothing to go off of here and completely a hunch, but I could see it tried in the spring

I've seen some folks mention they would like to see him switch over to RT and take Cooks spot and then let Wallace play RT.  I'm just glad that it looks like we are going to have options on the OL instead of trying to patch it together like we have in years past.

ldfergu

I really think Rogers needs a RS year under Herbert. Let's him have a break after being injured so much the last 2 years and gives him a chance to beast up

Wildhog

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on November 25, 2014, 08:08:43 am
I really think Rogers needs a RS year under Herbert. Let's him have a break after being injured so much the last 2 years and gives him a chance to beast up

This.
1909/1964/1965/1977

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on November 25, 2014, 08:08:43 am

I agree. And he should get it no problem with Mitch and Ragnow back

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HoneyNuttPetrinoos on November 24, 2014, 05:07:11 pm

He redshirted his Soph season, so now he has one more year

Razorbax

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 24, 2014, 10:26:52 pm

That would be my guess. RTs tend to be Maulers playing in space while your LT needs to be better athletes with great footwork and long arms. From what I read, Wallace is a natural LT. The LT position is difficult enough (one mistake could cost you your QB for the season.), but a true freshman LT starting in the SEC is unheard of..... Hence the redshirt this year.

KeithStone

If we land both Merrick and Barnett, what does that do to our OL numbers total? I've lost track and I'm really just looking for anything you know about the development and potential of the guys that aren't seeing the field right now.

Cook is our Senior...right?
Kirkland SO, who is behind him?
Smothers is a RS Jr? So he'll be back next year and should keep his spot?
Tretola was a JUCO right? How many years does he have left? Who is behind him?
Skip is a SO? needs a little offseason work on pass protection against speed, he does a great job if he can keep them in front of him. Who is behind Skip?

WBC Hog

After this season, Tretola's stock has went way up. I hope the big guy comes back!

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: KeithStone on November 25, 2014, 10:00:32 am
If we land both Merrick and Barnett, what does that do to our OL numbers total? I've lost track and I'm really just looking for anything you know about the development and potential of the guys that aren't seeing the field right now.

Cook is our Senior...right?
Kirkland SO, who is behind him?
Smothers is a RS Jr? So he'll be back next year and should keep his spot?
Tretola was a JUCO right? How many years does he have left? Who is behind him?
Skip is a SO? needs a little offseason work on pass protection against speed, he does a great job if he can keep them in front of him. Who is behind Skip?

I believe Koehler is the only other linemen on scholarship that isn't seeing the field right now and that will be here next year, assuming he doesn't transfer. I imagine our line next year will be

Lt: Wallace, Jackson
Lg: tretola, Allen, Koehler
C: ragnow, smothers, Rogers
Rg: Kirkland, Barnett
Rt: skipper, merrick

havok

I suspect Skipper will remain on the leftside..  protecting the backside of the QB.. I would think they don't wanna put a newbie over there (At least not early on or starting) who hasn't gotten any SEC Game experience under their belt..

rzrbk_

The coolest thing about it, especially if we close well at OL, is the 2's that we can have in a constant rotation.  Keeping those beefaloes up front fresh will give us a season full of watching them punish people, which I am down for.  8)

Georgeofthejungle

Quote from: havok on November 26, 2014, 01:48:09 pm
I suspect Skipper will remain on the leftside..  protecting the backside of the QB.. I would think they don't wanna put a newbie over there (At least not early on or starting) who hasn't gotten any SEC Game experience under their belt..

Even though Wallace is inexperienced, he is the most athletic linemen we have on campus, and normally you put your most athletic guy on the QB's blind side(in our case the left-side). Especially considering how Skipper has struggled aggainst fast/quick pass rush at times this season.

Dominicanhog

I saw the Pat Allen's name popped up in Richard's column again...  CBB doing an in-house with Sir Sam Pittman.. they must feel they have a shot... he was on the phone again with him as well... might be the rabbit out of the hat while nobody was looking...

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Georgeofthejungle on November 26, 2014, 03:01:02 pm
   Even though Wallace is inexperienced, he is the most athletic linemen we have on campus, and normally you put your most athletic guy on the QB's blind side(in our case the left-side). Especially considering how Skipper has struggled aggainst fast/quick pass rush at times this season.

The thing about Pittman is he seems to think outside the box.  He's creative and will put guys where he knows they will perform the best, even if it's against standard thinking.

Next August, if he believes Brian Wallace and the team are best served with him at LT, that's where you'll see him.

What a peace of mind knowing your team has got the best OL coach in the country running that show, and a HC that will let him coach and also understands very well how to run a championship level team with a stud OL.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858