Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5 Stars

Started by welchog, November 24, 2014, 08:06:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

welchog

Can this staff land any?

Scout has 4 listed as interested, but have not seen them discussed here (Jefferson, Marshall, Cowart, Lodge)

HOGINTENNESSEE

At this time Gustin is the only 5 star I believe our coaches are have any constant contact with.

Of course things can always change once the coaching changes start

The_Iceman

Quote from: welchog on November 24, 2014, 08:06:48 am
Can this staff land any?

Scout has 4 listed as interested, but have not seen them discussed here (Jefferson, Marshall, Cowart, Lodge)

How many stars were Spaight and Flowers?

Hoggish1

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 24, 2014, 08:55:55 am

Nice.  As we know, not all stars are created equally...

Oklahawg

Different business model.

Coaches want someone who is god-like in year 4 and 5, not right out of the chute. They want the slow build, recruiting players they can mold into their system...not someone already believing they are ready for the NFL. Many 5-star athletes come with a one-star mindset.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

swinesation

Mmmm, pretty sure we'll take the call if a 5 star shows interest.

Wildhog

In the real world, we'll take any 5-star we can get.

There aren't many, though, so it's not easy.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

OLDHOG

I think we had a 5 star cornerback once. How did that work out? I don't put much faith in stars other than for gazing. Just sayin.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: OLDHOG on November 24, 2014, 09:59:33 am
I think we had a 5 star cornerback once. How did that work out? I don't put much faith in stars other than for gazing. Just sayin.

Would have been nice to have Clay Jennings coach him. 

Then again, you never know how some kids react when the competition and pressure increases.  I'll take another D-mac any day. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 24, 2014, 08:55:55 am
Not sure about Spaight; however, I do know that Flowers was a 3*. My "gut" tells me that Spaight was no higher than that.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 24, 2014, 09:21:31 am

Coaches want someone who is god-like in year 4 and 5, not right out of the chute. They want the slow build, recruiting players they can mold into their system...not someone already believing they are ready for the NFL. Many 5-star athletes come with a one-star mindset.

See Texas.

Been10Hog

Bielema, Chaney, Pittman, Smith, Shannon will turn our uncommon men into stars

greenie

Lots of examples of 5 stars failing and 2 stars succeeding, but the fact of the matter is it's a gamble because you truly don't know exactly what you're getting until you get time with them in your program.  However, I bet the percentage of 5 stars who totally wash out is much lower than the percentage of 3 stars who do so.  You take a 5 star if you can get him, as long as the background check clears.

Gustin is the only 5 star (or near 5 star) that I know of that is a possibility at this point...but who knows; there are still a few out there uncommitted.

Bottom line...I trust this staff to find what we need...and get 'em.

pigroots

The thing about CBB is he knows how to find and develop players. See how many Wisconsin guys were drafted....for the first time in a while I really don't care how many stars they have as much as I care "What does CBB think of them?" We will get and develop players as long as this staff is here

OLDHOG

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on November 24, 2014, 10:08:50 am

Then again, you never know how some kids react when the competition and pressure increases.  I'll take another D-mac any day. 
Yea, that would have probably made a big difference, but u just never know their heart tho. And yes I'll take D-mac in a heartbeat. Few and far between in my opinion

greenie

Quote from: pigroots on November 24, 2014, 10:42:19 am
The thing about CBB is he knows how to find and develop players. See how many Wisconsin guys were drafted....for the first time in a while I really don't care how many stars they have as much as I care "What does CBB think of them?" We will get and develop players as long as this staff is here

^^^^^ Bingo

Oklahawg

Quote from: OLDHOG on November 24, 2014, 10:46:08 am
Yea, that would have probably made a big difference, but u just never know their heart tho. And yes I'll take D-mac in a heartbeat. Few and far between in my opinion

DMac was a warrior. Many recruits lack that heart. Hard to know for sure as a fan (highlight reels are, well, highlights) but the coaches can figure it out.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

sowmonella

Quote from: OLDHOG on November 24, 2014, 09:59:33 am

If you are talking about Batman, he had a pretty good career on the hill.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

incHOGnito

That's about as succinctly as I have ever seen it put. I try to explain this to people all of the time but have had trouble saying it concisely. I will have to use this in the future.

incHOGnito

Quote from: sowmonella on November 24, 2014, 11:14:22 am

He was talking about Darius Winston.

cbhawg03

Kid from West Memphis area. Winston

The_Iceman

Quote from: incHOGnito on November 24, 2014, 11:18:42 am
He was talking about Darius Winston.

See how easily his career was forgotten....

Tusks

how about lets take the first hog recruiting class EVER that might be half 4* & half 3*.

then win some and move onto the 5*.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

redeye

Quote from: welchog on November 24, 2014, 08:06:48 am
Can this staff land any?

Budda wants a word with you.

Cresthog

The difference between a 4 and 5 is minimal.

Odell B and Jarvis Landry were both 4s....

It comes down to work ethic, development and mentality. Half the NFL is late bloomers and played at smaller schools simply because of late physical development.

Pavlov's Hog

Very well stated.

hollywood hog

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 24, 2014, 11:23:24 am

I thought that only happened if you left the state.  But he did stay home and play for the Hogs.  Now according to many on here he's entitled to a 6 figure salary for staying home.  It will be interesting to see how well he is taken care of.

redleg

Lots of stars are nice, and look good an paper. But, i don't think Bielema is too worried about how many stars a guy has next to his name.
Bielema is known for signing guys that have the heart, size, and speed, but are undeveloped as far as overall skill.
Some guys peak in high school (Mitch Mustain, Darius Winston) and get a 5* ranking, but are duds in college. Some guys are good enough to get a fourth or fifth star and develop even more in college, where they peak. Then there are some guys who are under-the-radar, rated a 2 or 3 star player, go to college, develop, get bigger, stronger, faster, learn the position, and end up being an All-American (Brandon Burlsworth).
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

kodiakisland

First off, I've never heard anyone complain about signing too many 5 stars.  Ever.  Maybe signing kids that don't fit their system is a problem, but signing 5 stars is not a bad thing.  Lots of rationalizing going on in this thread.

Yes, some 5 stars are major busts.  Far more 3 stars are busts than 5 stars though.  I see the star rating as an indicator of who is ready to play early verses late.  Chances are a 5 star can contribute within a year or two whereas a 3 star may need a few years before he reaches that level.  It's no indication of who will make it and who won't, just an indication of current ability.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

ricepig

We take/want the best athletes as this staff wants. AC was a 5* on some services, but that doesn't matter, they want the best person, student, football player that wants to be here. Seriously, consider the OP's track record on this staff, enough said.

Paul

Quote from: cbhawg03 on November 24, 2014, 11:23:21 am
Kid from West Memphis area. Winston
i thought he was from Helena 

Wildhog

Quote from: Paul on November 24, 2014, 03:32:16 pm
  i thought he was from Helena 

That is in the W Memphis 'area.'
1909/1964/1965/1977

pondwater jack

Bret is takin kids that have a solid ground underneath em.  A kid who's whole id ain't just about football.  High character kids that aren't paralized by the idea of failure on a big stage to the point that they won't compete.  For these pre-madona kids their identity is so wrapped up in football that the minute they look up and a Rohan Gaines knocks them in the dirt on national tv and they don't catch a pass for the first 30 minutes, they start to question themselves and then their teammates who arent getting them the ball.  They don't know another roll other than being the star.

Cody Hollister don't catch a pass?  He keeps coming....wearing you down with less talent but tons more of sticktooitiveness.  You need him to clean the toilets?  "Where are the mops and brushes?" 

The kids that Bret is making a living off of will do the dirty work.  Not only are they not afraid of it, they expect it. 

Brets less talented team right now will look across the field and say, "you may beat me, but you aren't going to do it from the comfort of the locker room.  Get out here in the rain and lets get muddy and one of us make an a$$ out of the other on national tv!" 

that's waht happened saturday. 

You want to whip us?  You've got it to do. 

I love it. Like eating a piece of steel wool....Gritty from the top to the bottom just like Jack Blasingame.

PWJ
Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 13, 2015, 07:56:19 am
I cry at the thought of our creator looking down from on high relishing in two of his more majestic creations (Jack Blasingame and Mike Irwin) pulling together for the benefit of all razorback nation. Neigh..! mankind...
Quote from: Fort Dweller on February 14, 2015, 10:04:29 pm
And they slowly slink back to their holes.  Well done Madden and Watkins.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: pondwater jack on November 24, 2014, 03:45:21 pm
Bret is takin kids that have a solid ground underneath em.  A kid who's whole id ain't just about football.  High character kids that aren't paralized by the idea of failure on a big stage to the point that they won't compete.  For these pre-madona kids their identity is so wrapped up in football that the minute they look up and a Rohan Gaines knocks them in the dirt on national tv and they don't catch a pass for the first 30 minutes, they start to question themselves and then their teammates who arent getting them the ball.  They don't know another roll other than being the star.

Cody Hollister don't catch a pass?  He keeps coming....wearing you down with less talent but tons more of sticktooitiveness.  You need him to clean the toilets?  "Where are the mops and brushes?" 

The kids that Bret is making a living off of will do the dirty work.  Not only are they not afraid of it, they expect it. 

Brets less talented team right now will look across the field and say, "you may beat me, but you aren't going to do it from the comfort of the locker room.  Get out here in the rain and lets get muddy and one of us make an a$$ out of the other on national tv!" 

that's waht happened saturday. 

You want to whip us?  You've got it to do. 

I love it. Like eating a piece of steel wool....Gritty from the top to the bottom just like Jack Blasingame.

PWJ
Pondwater, double "props" for your sticktoitiveness!!

The real Hogules

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 24, 2014, 11:23:24 am

I think that Winston's issue was a lack of good coaching and not his lack of speed or willingness to make a hit. He lacked technique and that is more of a coaching
He came and did the best he could and he'll always have my respect and appreciation for that issue/player development.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

mhuff

Quote from: greenie on November 24, 2014, 10:35:21 am
Lots of examples of 5 stars failing and 2 stars succeeding, but the fact of the matter is it's a gamble because you truly don't know exactly what you're getting until you get time with them in your program.  However, I bet the percentage of 5 stars who totally wash out is much lower than the percentage of 3 stars who do so.  You take a 5 star if you can get him, as long as the background check clears.

Gustin is the only 5 star (or near 5 star) that I know of that is a possibility at this point...but who knows; there are still a few out there uncommitted.

Bottom line...I trust this staff to find what we need...and get 'em.

Hey greenie , I tried the last couple of days to PM you with info. Your box is full and you will need to delete some messages before you can get mail.

Boarmonger

Quote from: Wildhog on November 24, 2014, 03:33:22 pm
That is in the W Memphis 'area.'

Helena is a good 50 miles south of W. Memphis

ricepig

Quote from: Boarmonger on November 24, 2014, 06:16:21 pm

Well, that's closer than the LR area......

Wildhog

Quote from: Boarmonger on November 24, 2014, 06:16:21 pm

Hence, "in the area."

1909/1964/1965/1977

redeye

Quote from: hollywood hog on November 24, 2014, 01:15:36 pm
I thought that only happened if you left the state.  But he did stay home and play for the Hogs.  Now according to many on here he's entitled to a 6 figure salary for staying home.  It will be interesting to see how well he is taken care of.

Do you think he would have been taken care of better if he'd left the state?  If not, then you really don't have an argument, do you?  If you do, then how about some examples?

Quote from: The real Hogules on November 24, 2014, 05:48:04 pm
I think that Winston's issue was a lack of good coaching and not his lack of speed or willingness to make a hit. He lacked technique and that is more of a coaching
He came and did the best he could and he'll always have my respect and appreciation for that issue/player development.

I suspect you're right.  Winston may have been overrated some, but I suspect his potential was far greater then we ever saw, unfortunately.

welchog

Quote from: redeye on November 24, 2014, 11:48:04 am
Budda wants a word with you.
I'm talking about this year.

passinghog

Get the best players you can get.

1highhog

I bet he's talking about a certain guy that was recruited heavily to go to USC but stayed here, came out of Little Rock a few years ago, not gonna name names.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Wildhog on November 24, 2014, 06:30:29 pm
Hence, "in the area."

We'll argue about anything anymore huh?
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Dumb ole famrboy

Come on - give me a break. If your recruiting focuses on the line, there just are not that many 5* recruits available.
Per Scouts

TE - 2015 2 @ 5*, 2014 0 @ 5*, 2013 2 @ 5*, Total 4 @ 5*
OT - 2015 3 @ 5*, 2014 4 @ 5*, 2013 2 @ 5*, Total 9 @ 5*
OG - 2015 0 @ 5*, 2014 2 @ 5*, 2013 1 @ 5*, Total 3 @ 5*
C - 2015 0 @ 5*, 2014 0 @ 5*, 2013 0 @ 5*, Total 0 @ 5*
So in the last 3 years there have only been 16 offensive line recruits rated at 5* and 4 of those were TEs.

Defensive line is somewhat better
DT - 2015 5 @ 5*, 2014 1 @ 5*, 2013 5 @ 5*, Total 11 @ 5*
DE - 2015 5 @ 5*, 2014 7 @ 5*, 2013 3 @ 5*, Total 16 @ 5*
So in the last 3 years there have been only 27 defensive line recruits rated @ 5*.

So who is the better target for recruiting? A 5* #20 rated WR or the 4* #1 rated OG?

prattville pig

Sticktoitiveness is a huge, huge get!!!!!
Life's too short to last long.

hawgXi

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on November 24, 2014, 10:08:50 am

agreed. hope jennings gets all the credit he's due.

major cpr on d backs who are now breaking up passes & intercepting.

it's been awesome to watch this turn around

ldfergu

Really hopin Jennings can land Haughton. We need to float that "Haughton Here" poster around again

mshumate

Quote from: swinesation on November 24, 2014, 09:45:51 am
Mmmm, pretty sure we'll take the call if a 5 star shows interest.

I think it's the attitude they are looking for and sometimes a 5 star doesn't think they need to work as hard. They don't feel as if they have as much to prove. Not always the case, but the 'gift' they've been given to get them to a 5 star in high school has often led to a curse in college. WPS  :razorback:

TDHawgs

I agree, would love to have seen Darius Winston in this system, what a waste of talent, Petrino never did care about fielding a defense and it showed. I'll take my chances on a 5* recruit and our coaching staff to coach them!!!