Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Porter Gustin will be featured in Sunday's ADG

Started by The Recruiting Guy, November 01, 2014, 09:45:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Recruiting Guy

Had a good conversation with Porter the other night. Can't guarantee but I do think Arkansas will get an official visit. Time will tell.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Richard Davenport on November 01, 2014, 09:45:55 pm
Had a good conversation with Porter the other night. Can't guarantee but I do think Arkansas will get an official visit. Time will tell.

That's awesome news RD!
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

redeye

Hawghiggs

titanhawg

RD...I've heard rumors that because he's Mormon, he'll go on the 2 year mission and then play college ball starting in 2017.  Is that true?

Melorock089

If he's mormon, won't it be likely that he ends up at BYU?

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Melorock089 on November 02, 2014, 08:42:13 pm
If he's mormon, won't it be likely that he ends up at BYU?

Not all Mormons go to BYU just like not all Catholics go to Notre Dame or all Baptists go to Baylor. 

Melorock089

Eh, well.

Not all Mormons go to BYU but many many Mormons do from all over the country. Only 5% of the student population is not Mormon.

Adam Stokes

BYU snubbed him.  Not sure why.  The BYU coaching staff told him that they had already filled all their LB spots.  He goes to high school 15 minutes south of where I'm living.  Rumors say he has character issues but those rumors aren't really substantiated, that is just what is going around because that would usually be the only thing that would keep BYU from recruiting one of their own.  BYU was his #1 choice, so it annoys of lots of our fans that he wasn't offered a scholly.  There has to be more to the story that we don't know.

As for the mission, Manti Te'o said he wouldn't commit to a school that wouldn't allow him to serve a mission.  Notre Dame was fine with it, but he ultimately decided not to serve as many high-profile LDS athletes do (Jimmer, Steve Young, Bryce Harper, Jabari Parker.)  If he did serve he would likely sign with the 2015 class but not play until 2017, likely getting back from his mission in mid-summer. 

Have to be careful of BYU grabbing him while he is out on his mission though. If you don't participate in an NCAA sanctioned sport for two years you are allowed to transfer without penalty.  BYU has snagged and lost some players that were  returning from missions through this.  If character issues were indeed the reason why BYU initially backed off, those would sort themselves out pretty quickly while he is out on his mission and they would likely welcome him into the fold.

So all in all, if he were to forego his mission he'd be a great get.  If he were to leave it would be a pretty high risk, long term investment.

Melorock089

Would love to have him, but hate to sign him to take up a spot if he does not inevitably come here. We need our spots.

BatesvilleHOG

Gustin is our 2015 Solomon Thomas. Hopefully the family and friendly ties with the coaches and Gustin are strong enough for him to call the Hogs.

deedster84

Quote from: Melorock089 on November 02, 2014, 09:07:13 pm
Eh, well.

Not all Mormons go to BYU but many many Mormons do from all over the country. Only 5% of the student population is not Mormon.

Not to turn this into a religious topic but I believe I read somewhere Reeve Koehler is also a Mormon.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: deedster84 on November 03, 2014, 07:37:41 am
Not to turn this into a religious topic but I believe I read somewhere Reeve Koehler is also a Mormon.

This is true

HogJowler

Just FYI FWIW there is a large population of Mormon's in NWA

Melorock089

I don't care if they're Mormon, I just figure there's an appeal of BYU to mormon recruits.

WaltonCollege

Quote from: titanhawg on November 02, 2014, 03:24:22 pm
RD...I've heard rumors that because he's Mormon, he'll go on the 2 year mission and then play college ball starting in 2017.  Is that true?

I read an article saying he was planning on serving his mission then playing.  But like the guy above says he will "probably" want to be an 18 year old like everyone else and come have fun in college. Still not sure though and we need depth and numbers BAD. We can't sit around 2 years for this guy when we can find another anthony brown or randy Ramsey gem in Miami ready to contribute right away

Melorock089

Just that he is Mormon and lives in Utah, it would be hard to pull him away from BYU. I really didn't mean to bring religion into it. If he didn't already live in Utah, then I wouldn't have said anything. Sorry again.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: Melorock089 on November 03, 2014, 05:49:42 pm
Just that he is Mormon and lives in Utah, it would be hard to pull him away from BYU. I really didn't mean to bring religion into it. If he didn't already live in Utah, then I wouldn't have said anything. Sorry again.

No need to apologize, you're dead on.  I left the east coast and passed on Arkansas to go to BYU.  Only 30% of BYU students are from Utah. 

lefty08

Doesn't the eligibility clock start as soon as the player enrolls? If that's the case as I think it is, do these mission athletes just sign but never step foot on campus until after their missions? If they did they would lose a red shirt and 1 year of eligibility right?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Mike_e

Quote from: lefty08 on November 04, 2014, 07:04:04 am
Doesn't the eligibility clock start as soon as the player enrolls? If that's the case as I think it is, do these mission athletes just sign but never step foot on campus until after their missions? If they did they would lose a red shirt and 1 year of eligibility right?

I'm pretty sure that the clock doesn't start until you actually enroll in school.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Melorock089 on November 02, 2014, 09:40:30 pm
Would love to have him, but hate to sign him to take up a spot if he does not inevitably come here. We need our spots.
WHile I understand your point, if we DON'T end up signing him we obviously won't have a shot at his services at all. I'd rather sign him and then see how things work out rather than not and never see him play for us.

WBC Hog

I guess I'm the only guy here that doesn't know exactly what a mission is?  I obviously know very little about the the Mormon faith.

hogs24

Quote from: WBC Hog on November 05, 2014, 10:16:06 pm
I guess I'm the only guy here that doesn't know exactly what a mission is?  I obviously know very little about the the Mormon faith.
religious trip to help/recruit others to said religion. Usually to 3rd world countries.  My youngest daughter recently went to Haiti on one.
Quote from: Buff on August 04, 2013, 01:34:19 pm

I am THIS close to raping you right now. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: Melorock089 on November 03, 2014, 05:49:42 pm

I read and article that said BYU already lost out on him and his dad was quoted as saying it wasn't an option.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: hogs24 on November 05, 2014, 10:23:40 pm
religious trip to help/recruit others to said religion. Usually to 3rd world countries.  My youngest daughter recently went to Haiti on one.

What he said, though a lot stay in the US and it can really be anywhere in the world.  Lasts for 2 whole years at over 80 hours a week.  You can email once a week and skype home every Christmas and Mother's Day, but next to that you are pretty cut off from "the world."  Definitely not the easiest thing you'll ever do.  Though it is refreshing to spend all your time focusing on serving others and forgetting yourself.

WBC Hog

Melorock089

Let's see.

I read that he's a workout junkie. Just wait until he mets Herbert.

Also he wants to major in business. Yeah I think Walmart and Tyson are pretty successful businesses that have a vested interest in the university and the business school.  ;)

:razorback: :razorback:

HoneyNuttPetrinoos

Dropped 27 and 13 boards in first bball game lol. Dude is a freak

razorbackcaller

Dang it Richard now I am going to be getting a paper Sunday

hawgwash

Quote from: razorbackcaller on November 27, 2014, 07:10:48 pm
Dang it Richard now I am going to be getting a paper Sunday
You may want to take note of the date of the original post. ;)