Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chad Morris PC After Scrimmage

Started by TebowHater, March 03, 2018, 08:02:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgphat

Perhaps I'm somewhat of an aberration as a dedicated Hogs fan; but in addition to an improved W-L record, I would very much like to see a sharp increase in tackling efficiency, a defensive secondary that is not forced to give opposing receivers a 15 yard cushion  - "keeping the play in front of them" - , an offensive line that is at least semi-effective at controlling the line of scrimmage once in a while to the extent that our RBs are not repeatedly buried in their own backfield before having a chance to clear the line of scrimmage with some initial push to actually realize an opportunity to "RUN" the ball.  And, - - ostensibly, since our receivers know exactly where they're going - and the points at which they will break and cut - - and considering the supposition that the defending linebackers and secondary DON'T know that information beforehand, - - - I believe that we should reasonably expect to see some of our passing plays find an occasional open receiver now and then, and not have defensive backs draped all over them before the pass arrives to the targeted receiver on each and every play.

I am SO-O-O-O looking forward to witnessing some major changes in operational procedure under the auspices of this new regime.  I certainly don't expect immediate, surpassing perfection; - - - but it sure would be nice to see an elevated efficiency rate on SEVERAL fronts.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: ricepig on March 05, 2018, 09:30:42 pm
I have two boys, one lives in Chicago, the other here in Jonesboro, lol. You obviously don't wish to have a discussion on this without either reading what someone else has written, or wishing to change the subject. The subject is inherited roster, not guys you brought in, but what was on the roster when you took the job. It isn't about wins or losses, or even who developed the talent. I'll pick this up in the morning, enjoy your night.

Just let it go. You cant win with him.

Twist It Up, in no strange twist, is just setting it up so he can either make excuses for when his boy Morris fails or he can make him look like some kind of iconic football god if he somehow happens to get us to 6 or so wins. Its called hedging your bet.

Most with a brain know that what CBB stepped into was much worse than what CMM has. Literally EVERYONE was in agreement that when CBB left, he left it "better than he had found it." Kids are going to class, have good grades, have very few discipline issues, accountability, etc. These are all things that weren't at all present in 2012 under JLS.

People are quick to forget how bad things were back in 2012, especially when it fits their narrative. I mean, hes listing kids CBB recruited and developed as reasons why the situation "was better." LOL

Ā 

rtr

Well, CBB can develop 3 stars into NFL talent but just can't win games without Barry Alvarez to tell him how.  Talk about people not letting go, Rice and McKinney you two sound genuinely heartbroken. Hopefully, time heals the pain.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: The NewEra on March 05, 2018, 08:52:15 am
After reading this entire thread I find it interesting that so many people are trying to dissect what Morris said or say's in his press conferences.  I personally don't think it's that difficult.  Take him literally on everything he says and you'll know what the man is thinking.  Everyone associated with the football program has been drinking from a water hose, trying to get the 2018 class signed, catch up with others in the league regarding 2019 recruiting and laying the foundation for how the program will be run going forward.  It's obvious from what Morris is saying that he and the other coaches are still in the evaluation process of what they have and who the best and most committed players are.  That should surprise no one since the staff hasn't been here 90-days yet.

Some, just a few mind you, on Hogville remind me of the idiot Eric Bolin who thinks he's a reporter and writes for SecCountry.  Today's article https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-coach-chad-morris-beloved-already by Bolin shows just how silly some people can be.  This quote is the first line from that link "Arkansas' first-year football coach may still be in a honeymoon period."

Seriously?  A coach has been here for just under 90 days and some people, including that would be sports writer think a honeymoon period could have expired?  Only in the world of "Alice in Wonderland" is that not a foregone conclusion.  Any program worth it's salt gives a new coach and his staff a few years to produce.

We can dissect every word and action all we want, but I think it would serve us all well to take this man by his word and actions instead of trying to decide what we think he really means.  Just maybe he really means what he has said and what he's saying is based on his limited interaction with his players over the past few months.

Topic B:

I find it interesting there's any question at all about whether Morris can coach at this level.  Some on here who I respect are still withholding judgement on whether or not he can coach at this level.  I find that to be incredibly interesting.  The man coached 18 yrs. in High School in Texas, one of the best HS football states in the country.  Thirty three percent of the time he took his teams to the state championship game and fifty percent of the time he won.  He moves to college and is successful there at Tulsa.  He goes to Clemson and institutes an offense there that allows them to take the next step and attend three final four appearances, winning one Championship.  He takes over a bad SMU program and makes it better each year.  Every place the man has coaches he left it better off than when he arrived. 

Do you really think coaching football is that much different in the SEC than High School?  I don't!  I believe a great coach is a great coach.  The two main differences are "Recruiting" and "Administratively running" a large organization.  Morris ran very large organizations successfully at the High School level and few people understand what it takes to attract and recruit kids to a college program better than a coach with 18 years of experience watching the kids and the college recruiting machine work. 

The big difference in the SEC is "talent", "depth" and the week in and week out grind.  I trust Morris gets that and he has Chavis here to help him understand it even better.

We'll see how this plays out, but my money is on a guy that's never failed.  He has a plan, he's working the plan, he's passionate about the Razorback name and brand and he can be taken at his word, literally.  Oh, and his Honeymoon period is just starting for many of us, not just about over with.
You nailed my feeling exactly... +1 Fo Sho.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

rtr

One other thing, how many NFL prospects are on the current roster.  Were they developed properly?  I am not at all convinced the cupboard is as full as many of you say.  It certainly didn't show on the field.  I will be extremely happy with bowl eligibility next year.  This was a football program on the decline hopefully the coaching change will reverse that.  I think most fans want to move on beyond bielema.  I know I would like to forget his whole time here.  Worst stretch of football in my lifetime of watching the Hogs. 

bennyl08

Quote from: twistitup on March 05, 2018, 09:26:56 pm
We both know who inherited the roster w the most talent.

Thanks for playing Rice

Yes we all do. The 2018 roster is head and shoulders above the 2013 roster.

Quote from: twistitup on March 05, 2018, 09:13:51 pm
2013 nfl prospects

Brandon Allen - Compare BA's RsFr game against Bama to Cole's RsFr game.
Austin Allen - Conner Noland
Robert Antiga - You meant to type Atiga, there was no Antiga. Also, nobody thought he was likely to go onto the NFL when he was coming in here. Pick any name from the current LB roster and they'll be at least as good.
Eric Bennett - Umm, Bennett was better than "Antiga" but yeah, he played for 2 years before Bielema ever got here and never showed NFL potential nor was he some hot shot recruit. 
Luke Charpentier - Literally pick any OL on the roster today and they have at least as much a chance of the NFL as anybody in 2013 thought Charpentier had.
Alex Collins - Bielema had to bring him in. Collins wasn't inherited. However, he was also a freshmen who was just as likely to be a Darius Winston as a McFadden. Whaley was similarly recruited out of HS and has way more experience.
Jared Collins - Ryan Pulley. Also, Collins at 2013 point in time had yet to play a single snap. He was also really small and tiny which is what primarily kept him out of the NFL.
Brey Cook - Wallace. Cook hadn't done anything of note up to that point in his career. Wallace has actually done more and was higher rated.
DJ Dean - Curl. Dean was never fast enough to be a real threat of a CB. Curl is best suited for safety but similar to Dean had a year as a true freshmen playing CB.
Brooks Ellis - Never played a down yet. Compare him to Bumper Pool and Pool in 2018 is a better NFL prospect than Ellis was in 2013.
Trey Flowers - David Porter. People forget that even through 2013, Flowers struggled in the run game mightily. He was good at getting penetration but would easily get past the OL just to find that in his wake, he left a big hole for a RB or for the qb to run through.
Rohan Gaines - Never really considered an NFL prospect. I'd list Micah Smith as somebody that I'd take the 2018 Micah Smith over 2013 Gaines much less any of the much more highly rated safeties like Curl, Brown, Foucha, or Mason.
Keon Hatcher - Hatcher was a 4* player but to this point in time, he struggled mightily with drops. Might as well compare him to Pettway much less guys like Nance and Jones.
Hunter Henry - player who never took a snap at the college level. Gragg, O'Grady, Cantrell, Patton, and Gunter all have NFL potential.
Zach Hocker - We don't have any comparable kickers...
Taiwan Johnson - Guidry >> Johnson
Bryan Jones - Capps
Denver Kirkland - yet another person not inherited. Take your pick of any of the OL guys we signed this year who each could be the next Kirkland. Though, Clenin from last years class who redshirted actually does remind me of Kirkland, and is in a better position for 2018 than Kirkland was for 2013 since he's been practicing against college players for a year
Drew Morgan - Another player not inherited. Nance > Morgan
Darius Philon - Ferral (sp?)
Dan Skipper - Adcock from last class
Kiero Small - Hayden Johnson
Chris Smith - Dorian Gerald has much more potential
Mitch Smothers - Smothers did have NFL potential, but lets go with Merrick here who is even higher rated and been in college longer
Martrell Spaight - Spaight was a major project at best at the time. DeJon Harris is the best LB we've had in my lifetime
Jeremy Sprinkle - Whoever you chose for Henry's NFL comparison, there's 4 other NFL worthy TE's to choose from here.
Robert Thomas - Marshall, Thomas was a guy you heard about in spring but up to 2013 you never head about in fall until the next spring.
JaMicheal Winston - Taylor is easily a better DE and NFL prospect than Winston was.
D. Wise - Go read my 2018 in depth look at the prospects, forget the name, but there's a DE who reminds me a lot of Wise and Flowers.

....maybe more

Where is that list again from the current roster?

I love how you say "maybe more" when you include a bunch of guys who never had a sniff of the NFL from their recruit days through their playing days. Yet, despite that, you left off Travis Swanson.

Again, go to my thread comparing the 2013 to the 2018 roster. Hands down the 2018 roster is more talented both at the top and the bottom compared to the 2013 roster.

However, if you don't, here's a quick run down again

QB: 2013 had a senior qb who was worse than a rs sophomore, who had performed terribly the year before and literally nobody else on the roster save who was brought in. 2018 has a rs sophomore who performed objectively way better and had much more experience who beat out a junior and has a rs freshmen and two true freshmen being brought in. So yeah, we are much better off at QB in 2018 than we were in 2013. We know that eventually, BA went on to develop into an NFL qb. Given that Cole Kelley is already performing better than BA at the same point in their career, unless Morris is a worse coach than Bielema, Kelley should develop into an even better NFL prospect.

RB: 2013 had JWill coming off a freshmen season with some highlights but little experience. There was scat back Nate Holmes, and Kody Walker with Collins having to be brought into the fold. Hayden is a 4* like Jwill who has a similar amount of experience last year to JWill's 2012. However, we also have Maleek Williams who was a stud of a recruit who redshirted, as well as TJ Hammonds, and Whaley who was as highly touted a recruit as Collins as well as a JUCO back coming in. In terms of ratings out of HS, we are better off for 2018 than 2013. In terms of experience and production at the college level, we are better off now than then, and in terms of potential talent, we are at least on par looking at the total position group and way better off considering what each coach inherited from the previous. So again, we know that JWill and Collins developed into NFL backs under Bielema. Whaley, Hammonds, Hayden, and Williams each have the NFL potential that Collins and JWill had. So, either you think Morris isn't as good a coach as Bielema in terms of developing players or you think 2018 has better potential.

FB: Small was a very good FB with one year of eligibility left. Hayden Johnson is a better receiver out of the backfield and has 2 years left and may not be as good a blocker, but is a very good blocker in his own right. However, Small was the only FB we had that could do anything in 2013 while Kendrick Jackson is also a very good FB allowing the two stay more rested than Small could by himself. Further, Small wasn't a FB who would have likely been drafted before Bielema came along.

WR: We had Horton who was a good possession receiver and Herndon who was very fast inherited off the 2013 team along with Hatcher who was a 4* player and Demetrius Wilson who was oft injured though very athletic if healthy. Bielema added Morgan. Horton and Herndon hadn't done much behind the likes of Childs, Adams, Wright, and later Hamilton. Hatcher redshirted. Wilson was mostly injured. Their combined production was terrible. In 2018, we have Cornelius who was rates as the best slot receiver in the country and Nance who boasted the best qb rating when thrown to in the country. Both have more potential than anybody Bielema inherited not to mention both having way more proven production. Beyond that, you have guys like Pettway, Stewart, and Jones who hadn't done much while sitting behind Morgan, Hatcher, and Cornelius but who have greater physical potential with Jones being pursued hard by the likes of Bama while also boasting being the fastest player on the team. You then have the athletic but so far injured Martin not to mention guys like Kolian Jackson who's already being compared to Hamilton and the likes of Warren and Barnes. In short, the WR's for 2018 have better offer lists overall than 2013 out of HS, more stars, more experience, and more production than the group in 2013 had. The 2013 group included Hatcher who was inherited and made a practice squad and Morgan who was brought in who has made an NFL practice squad. Heck, if one guy out of Cornelius, Pettway, Stewart, Jones, Boateng, Warren, Barnes, Jackson Martin, Nance, Warnock, or cross make a practice squad for a single season, that'd be equal and odds are, Cornelius and Jones will both make NFL active rosters and at least one of those others should make a practice squad and I wouldn't be surprised if 3 others did.

TE: We had Austin Tate and Sprinkle inherited in 2013 and Bielema had to bring in Henry. Again, see my other thread on this topic to see how little production and experience they had. In 2018, we have Cantrell, Patton, O'Grady, Gragg, and Gunter who all have NFL potential written all over them, have way more experience than what the TE group had in 2013, and way more production. If Morris is at least as good as Bielema, this TE group should develop at least two NFL players. Given that we have the same TE coach... odds are good.

OL: Bielema was given Swanson who had one year left as the only player who'd go on to the NFL. Cook had some potential but didn't make it. There was a walk-on in Hurd playing LT, Swanson at Center, Cook at RT, and then Bielema had to bring in Kirkland and Skipper to fill out a starting 5. For 2018, we have Gibson as a walk-on starter, Froholdt as the Swanson parallel, and Wallace with the Cook parallel, but beyond that... we actually have some really good players with Clary, Adcock, Clenin, Wagner, and Merrick and if nothing else, and experienced LT in Colton Jackson. Project things out three years into the future and it is very reasonable that the starting 5 3 years out will all be guys that Morris inherited, not too dissimilar to Petrino who had the luxury of using almost entirely Nutt's players on the OL and very few of his own.

DE: Bielema did inherit some good talent on the DL overall with Flowers still raw but with a lot of potential and then one year to work with Chris Smith at DE along with a group of untested and unseen DE from Petrino's last recruiting class with Taiwan (who'd move to DT), Winston, and Wise Jr. However, what Morris inherits isn't far behind. Agim is a better prospect than either Flowers or Smith, but experience wise is more refined right now than Flowers was, but not quite as much as Smith. Morris inheriting the likes of Bell, Porter, Ramsey, and Taylor gives as much potential as the likes of what Bielema inherited. Bell is a freak athlete who finally clicked as an edge rusher last year before suffering injury. Go watch tape of Porter and Taylor and you'll see they can be just as good as the likes of Bequette, Smith, and Flowers. Depends on what Morris is able to do with them. And I haven't even mentioned the guys that Morris is bringing in for 2018. Since you want to talk about guys like Henry, Collins, Skipper, Kirkland, etc... Dorian Gerald is a better prospect than anybody on the roster in 2013 as well and as a JUCO is relatively experienced as well not to mention the potential with the other freshmen.

DT: 2013 inherited Jones, Thomas, and Philon. Byron Jones had the least NFL potential but was the only guy with any level of experience since Robert Thomas had been injured so much before as was Philon. Bielema was the first guy to get production out of Thomas. Oh, walk-on Green ended up being a run blocker and I think Hodge was inherited but also hadn't done much. For 2018, Morris gets Guidry who is right there with the same explosion of Philon, Capps who is the strongest player on the team, Marshall who is an great blend of speed and power, and TJ Smith who is another good blend. Philon may have the highest ceiling of either year, but compare Capps, Marshall, Smith, and Watts to Thomas and Jones and overall, much less the additions of guys like Billy Ferrel and the 2018 DT group is much more desirable top to bottom than the 2013 group. Unless of course you don't think that Morris can develop guys as well as Bielema did.

LB: If you think this one is even remotely close, then dear god you can't possibly know anything about football. Heck, if all we returned was Grant Morgan with the recruitment of Bumper Pool, we'd immediately be in as good a shape as we were for 2013 and arguably even better shape. Morgan produced more last year than anybody we had returning on the roster beforehand in terms of big plays and probably total tackles. Pool is a more highly regarded player than Ellis was. Throw in that we also inherit Greenlaw and Harris who'll likely go pro after his third year here and it's not even close. I haven't even begun to mention guys like AJB, LaFrance, Henry, Walker, or the other new recruits. 2013 LB group consisted of talents such as Austin Jones, Lake, Carr... Spaight and Ellis had to be brought in. There was AJ Turner was a mediocre recruit who made a number of tackles in 2012 due to the defense being on the field a lot and Otha Peters who was a very good LB, but they were both injured most os 2013 and transferred out. Hard to really count them, but heck, even if you do, head and shoulders above now compared to where we were then.

CB: We had a Tevin Mitchel who had shown some flashes but even heading into 2014 wasn't considered by most to have any future with the NFL much less be drafted. We had a Collins who had redshirted the previous year and thus had never taken a single snap. Hines struggled as a freshmen in 2012. Kevin Richardson and DJ Dean were brought into the mix. Compare that to the group of Pulley who is not only now better than Collins ended up being much less where he was in 2013, but also better than Mitchel. Further, we have a stacked roster at this position with Curtis, Dalton, McClellion, Richardson, Tutt, Hernandez, not to mention the two highly rated guys we are bringing in this year. Again, we are much better off for 2018 than we were in 2013.

S: Haha, this one like the LB isn't even close. What, Coley, Bennett, Turner, Gaines, and TQ Coleman who was brought in? Compare that to Ramirez who is an all conference caliber guy already not to mention guys like Smith, Curl, Brown, Miller, Foucha, and Mason. Not even close in terms of athletic potential. In terms of Experience, Bennett had some experience with Turner also having two starts. Ramirez is every bit as experienced as Bennet was while also being all conference caliber along with Curl starting most of last season. Miller doesn't have any starts but has played extensively.

ST: Hocker is Hocker. Limpert had some flashes but struggled on kickoffs and had a small sample size with fg's. However, we return a pretty good punter in Blake while 2013 brought in a new punter.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

rtr

Bielema was only one game better with the 2018 roster that is heads and shoulder above the 2013. What gives? 

bennyl08

Quote from: rtr on March 05, 2018, 11:13:38 pm
One other thing, how many NFL prospects are on the current roster.  Were they developed properly?  I am not at all convinced the cupboard is as full as many of you say.  It certainly didn't show on the field.  I will be extremely happy with bowl eligibility next year.  This was a football program on the decline hopefully the coaching change will reverse that.  I think most fans want to move on beyond bielema.  I know I would like to forget his whole time here.  Worst stretch of football in my lifetime of watching the Hogs.

Auburn went 3-9 in 2012, even worse than we did under Smiley before turning things around with a new coach in 2013 and going 13-1. It was clear that their talent level was better than their record. Same is true for the hogs. Heck, look at our history with the transition from Ford to Nutt. 8 wins over the last two years with Ford combined and 17 wins over the first two years with Nutt.

It's a pretty common occurrence in college football to find a college head coach who can recruit but can't win. As a coach, there are three main pillars you have to do as it related to football, you have to recruit players, develop players, and call plays for those players. Bielema did a good job recruiting and developing (save for a couple of his hires) but when it came to being able to call plays during a game? He couldn't get that aspect under control to save his life and it cost him his job.

I mean, if he wasn't able to develop players, then he wouldn't have been able to put more 17 players into the NFL via draft (and several more udfa's making rosters as well) over 4 years plus whoever gets drafted this year.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: rtr on March 06, 2018, 12:06:41 am
Bielema was only one game better with the 2018 roster that is heads and shoulder above the 2013. What gives?

It's the same reason Chizik went 3-9 with a team that went on to play in the national championship the next year with virtually the same starters.

Bielema lost the team last year.

thebignasty

Quote from: rtr on March 06, 2018, 12:06:41 am

No identity

rtr

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 06, 2018, 12:10:38 am
Auburn went 3-9 in 2012, even worse than we did under Smiley before turning things around with a new coach in 2013 and going 13-1. It was clear that their talent level was better than their record. Same is true for the hogs. Heck, look at our history with the transition from Ford to Nutt. 8 wins over the last two years with Ford combined and 17 wins over the first two years with Nutt.

It's a pretty common occurrence in college football to find a college head coach who can recruit but can't win. As a coach, there are three main pillars you have to do as it related to football, you have to recruit players, develop players, and call plays for those players. Bielema did a good job recruiting and developing (save for a couple of his hires) but when it came to being able to call plays during a game? He couldn't get that aspect under control to save his life and it cost him his job.

I mean, if he wasn't able to develop players, then he wouldn't have been able to put more 17 players into the NFL via draft (and several more udfa's making rosters as well) over 4 years plus whoever gets drafted this year.
I think recruiting is going to be better under Morris.  Bielmena's teams have always looked slow, hopefully that will change.  I also hope the coach relies on his own evaluations instead of the internet. By the way, Nutt put a lot of players in the NFL as well.  I think that statistic maybe somewhat misleading.

bennyl08

Quote from: rtr on March 06, 2018, 12:16:52 am
I think recruiting is going to be better under Morris.  Bielmena's teams have always looked slow, hopefully that will change.  I also hope the coach relies on his own evaluations instead of the internet. By the way, Nutt put a lot of players in the NFL as well.  I think that statistic maybe somewhat misleading.

Nutt was there twice as long as Petrino or Bielema. So yeah, in total, he put in more players to the NFL. However, the average number of players per year was the lowest of the past three coaches with Petrino putting in more players per year and Bielema putting in the most.

The biggest difference with Nutt was that he took on a lot more risks with recruiting than Petrino or Bielema. Nutt's recruiting ended up like going for the home run and ending up with some homers but also a lot of strike outs. Namely, Nutt had a lot more early round draft picks but a lot fewer overall draft picks. With Nutt, we had very top heavy teams with a handful of studs such as a chris houston, matt jones, jamaal anderson, felix jones, and darren mcfadden all being first round picks iirc. We haven't had a single first round pick since then. However, we've had more depth and consistent rosters. Believe it or not, but over the past 5 years, we've had more draft picks than the aggies and auburn and are only behind the usual suspects of LSU, Bama, Fla, and UGA. Every other SEC has had fewer draft picks. It's just that most of our draft picks are mid to late rounds with Hunter Henry being the earliest pick since felix.

As for speed, I did a thread compiling all the pro-day and combine numbers and compared that to the NFL average and for the most part, we haven't been lacking speed despite what people claim. At most positions, our average is not that different from the NFL average. The only exceptions have been OL, LB, and S which if you've followed football closely, shouldn't surprise you. We've had pretty good cornerbacks, but we give up the deep ball due to slower safety play. Ramirez is the first safety since Tremain Thomas to have NFL speed for us. At LB, we had Ellis and Spaight, but until our most recent crop, haven't had anybody else. On the OL, we've had 4 players so far go on to active rosters in the NFL, but even they were pretty slow. However, RB, TE, WR, QB, DE, DT, and CB have all been within reasonable range of the NFL average.

What have we seen with out team? We struggle against quicker DL's, struggle with the deep pass plays, and struggle with passes over the middle.

twistitup

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on March 05, 2018, 10:26:55 pm
CBB left, he left it "better than he had found it." Kids are going to class, have good grades, have very few discipline issues, accountability, etc. These are all things that weren't at all present in 2012 under JLS.

class, grades, discipline, accountability

Really?

He was really good at everything - not football related.

Sweet.

I would also argue that the discipline and accountability were a question mark since we were not in shape, overweight...even Rice says some of the players didn't 'buy in' to the 'nutrition program'

We will be fine...but CCM has A LOT of work to do - just like he said in the press conference. You guys seem waayyy more impressed with the talent level than new coach - interesting.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Ā 

twistitup

Benny is just guessing on the talent level of this team......complete guesses.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: twistitup on March 06, 2018, 06:15:59 am

Really?

Sweet.

I would also argue that the discipline and accountability were a question mark since we were not in shape, overweight...even Rice says some of the players didn't 'buy in' to the 'nutrition program'

We will be fine...but CCM has A LOT of work to do - just like he said in the press conference. You guys seem waayyy more impressed with the talent level than new coach - interesting.

Man, give it a rest. I think that most here are impressed with the way that Morris has attacked this job, especially in recruiting. He'll attack putting together a football team with the same energy, speed and tenacity. We'll see what he can do. I have hopes that we will be improved as a team, both sides of the ball. Just because some of us can see that he has more to work with than he did at SMU and most likely better than what Bielema inherited, doesn't mean we are on opposing sides. Unless of course, you are just bored in the off season and looking for an argument to keep you busy?
Go Hogs Go!

twistitup

March 06, 2018, 07:14:17 am #265 Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 07:29:59 am by twistitup
Spaight was a 2012 commit to Taver Johnson  -JC All American.....

https://247sports.com/Player/Martrell-Spaight-20341/college-57085

....and after how we looked under Bielema - its hard to believe Benny says we are 'head and shoulders' above 2013

ricepig

Quote from: rtr on March 05, 2018, 10:51:33 pm
Well, CBB can develop 3 stars into NFL talent but just can't win games without Barry Alvarez to tell him how.  Talk about people not letting go, Rice and McKinney you two sound genuinely heartbroken. Hopefully, time heals the pain.

Nope, not at all. You've seemed to want to slang my take on anything as you wish. I support the head coach of my alma mater, no matter who he is. Talking about talent on a roster has nothing to do with favoring one coach over another. It's quite simple to see that Bielema couldn't develop the talent he got on campus, but it was better, overall, when he left, over when he arrived. Hopefully Morris improves on it and we start winning, that's what matters.

rhames

I don't think we can use auburn from 2012 to 2013 as a metric. Different situations.

Ole gene was trying to change the offense from gus's to more smash mouth. When Gus came in, he came into players he recruited and could run his offense. I'm not so sure Chad feels like he has the horses to do what he wants to do,  but I think he will make due the best he can in a transition year

No one knows how much talent we have on our roster. Anyone who tries to sell it one way or the other is just taking a guess. 
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on March 06, 2018, 07:21:49 am
but it was better, overall, when he left, over when he arrived.

Opinions are like aholes....we all have them.

Go Hogs.....Just win

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on March 06, 2018, 07:27:24 am
Read again.

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Article/Martrell-Spaight-followed-heart-to-Arkansas-and-is-rewarded-34109044

Recruited by Taver Johnson and Bobby Allen

"Bobby Allen recruited the area at the time and reportedly wanted to offer Spaight, but some at that time felt he was too small to play at Arkansas.Allen remembered how he liked Spaight and told Bielema about him"

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on March 06, 2018, 07:32:57 am

Recruited by Taver Johnson and Bobby Allen

"Bobby Allen recruited the area at the time and reportedly wanted to offer Spaight, but some at that time felt he was too small to play at Arkansas.Allen remembered how he liked Spaight and told Bielema about him"

Correct, he wouldn't be at Arkansas if not for Bielema and Allen.

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on March 06, 2018, 07:37:33 am
Correct, he wouldn't be at Arkansas if not for Bielema and Allen.

Allen told CBB who he was - Allen deserves full credit for this find - CBB didn't know the kid from a hole in the ground. Allen and Johnson recruited him but couldn't convince the previous staff to offer.

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on March 06, 2018, 07:57:52 am
Allen told CBB who he was - Allen deserves full credit for this find - CBB didn't know the kid from a hole in the ground. Allen and Johnson recruited him but couldn't convince the previous staff to offer.

And he doesn't get an offer without Bielema giving the ok. Do you think Morris knew who Ferrell was before Lunney told him about him?

Ā 

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on March 06, 2018, 08:05:22 am
Do you think Morris knew who Ferrell was before Lunney told him about him?

Yes

I think Morris if FULLY tuned in....he is not a 'ceo' type of guy - he is in the middle of it 24/7

#fulltiltboogie

Deep Shoat

Quote from: twistitup on March 06, 2018, 06:33:30 am
Benny is just guessing on the talent level of this team......complete guesses.
Somare you.

Just like you are guessing that we had a poor nutrition program.

What we had was a very efficient nutrition program for what Bielema wanted.  They built lower body mass and overall bulk.  It worked well.

What it didn't do was keep lean, SEC athletes on the field and fueled for 4 quarters.  Hopefully, CCM's nutrition team manages that without making us weak and unable to get off the ball against SEC players.  But we won't know that, for a while.  Probably not even this season.
All Gas, No Brakes!

ricepig

jkstock04

Quote from: twistitup on March 06, 2018, 07:14:17 am
Spaight was a 2012 commit to Taver Johnson  -JC All American.....

....and after how we looked under Bielema - its hard to believe Benny says we are 'head and shoulders' above 2013
It's simply a Bielema homer notion...to suggest from the play we witnessed in 2017 that we are "head and shoulders" better than we were when Bielema arrived. If you REALLY believe this...just crazy. The evidence to support this is nil other than maybe what scout.com says.

Did we have more talent than a 4 win season? Probably...but what would've been max output last season? 6 wins? 7 wins? This is not a loaded and stacked roster like people have made it out to be the past couple of years. If it were we would've won more than 4 games in 2017 despite how terrible of an in game coach Bielema is.

However, ive said it once and I'll say it again. If this team comes out and wins 10 plus games this season I'll be first in line to give Bielema credit for having that type of talent built up within the ranks of the team.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

twistitup

Quote from: Deep Shoat on March 06, 2018, 08:08:28 am

What it didn't do was keep lean, SEC athletes on the field and fueled for 4 quarters.  Hopefully, CCM's nutrition team manages that without making us weak and unable to get off the ball against SEC players.  But we won't know that, for a while.  Probably not even this season.

Now.....why in the world would CBB stick with a nutrition program that couldn't put lean, SEC quality athletes on the field that could play for 4 qtrs?

Gonzo

Only got thru about a page and a half of this before the bickering got too annoying. One positive I'll take away from it is at least we may have moved on to a new hero/villain fight after several years. That's slightly refreshing, though it's sad it always seems to have to devolve into that.

As for me, I like the energy of the new staff and I'm eager to see how well they are going to produce. Just like Christmas as a kid, always hopeful that package has something great inside.

I didn't listen to a lot of the PC, but one of the aspects I enjoyed from the intro was his connection to the rest of the atheltic program, talking about going to baseball games and a gymnastics meet. I'm not sure how he has time, but it sounds like he's really trying to root himself into the Hog family rather than just occupy a coach's office.

Go Hogs!

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on March 05, 2018, 10:26:55 pm
Just let it go. You cant win with him.

Twist It Up, in no strange twist, is just setting it up so he can either make excuses for when his boy Morris fails or he can make him look like some kind of iconic football god if he somehow happens to get us to 6 or so wins. Its called hedging your bet.

Most with a brain know that what CBB stepped into was much worse than what CMM has. Literally EVERYONE was in agreement that when CBB left, he left it "better than he had found it." Kids are going to class, have good grades, have very few discipline issues, accountability, etc. These are all things that weren't at all present in 2012 under JLS.

People are quick to forget how bad things were back in 2012, especially when it fits their narrative. I mean, hes listing kids CBB recruited and developed as reasons why the situation "was better." LOL

I say this as someone who defended BB for years. He may have left the program "better", but not by as much as some people think, and not enough to justify his pay. I don't think that he's a bad guy for this,  as some others do, but he just got out coached and probably out worked in a hyper-hyper-competitive field. (The likes of which all those "if I performed this poorly at my job, I'd be fired" yahoos don't understand)

Let's be real. Bret stepped into a terrible situation and Chad is coming into a fair situation at best. It's technically progress, I guess. But the wolf is still at the door and the man has less ammo for his gun than many of us would like to believe. Hopefully he can pull it out. I think he's  a great coach, but only time will tell.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 05, 2018, 11:55:32 pm
Yes we all do. The 2018 roster is head and shoulders above the 2013 roster.
I believe this, and I don't even think the 2018 roster is very good.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: twistitup on March 06, 2018, 06:15:59 am

Really?

Sweet.

Obviously he didn't get it done, else he would still be the coach. Duh.

That has zipitty dipiddy zero to do with the conversation here, which is whether CBB left the program better than he found it in 2012. The fact that you're even trying to make that argument is hilarious. Your hate for CBB is such that you are willing to completely lie to make him look bad. You sound like a seventh grade girl that's mad she got dumped. It's nauseating

And, no, I'm not upset CBB is gone. He didn't get it done plain and simple. But he did leave the program better than he found it. Ask anyone who was close to the program and they will confirm

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: ricepig on March 06, 2018, 08:05:22 am
And he doesn't get an offer without Bielema giving the ok. Do you think Morris knew who Ferrell was before Lunney told him about him?
As much as I hate arguing with you, and I do hate it, you nailed this one. I just want you to remember, the next time I am handing you your ass in an argument, that I CAN admit when you're right...  ;)
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

ricepig

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢ on March 06, 2018, 09:36:10 am
As much as I hate arguing with you, and I do hate it, you nailed this one. I just want you to remember, the next time I am handing you your ass in an argument, that I CAN admit when you're right...  ;)

The next time will be the first time!   8)

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on March 06, 2018, 09:09:47 am
I say this as someone who defended BB for years. He may have left the program "better", but not by as much as some people think, and not enough to justify his pay. I don't think that he's a bad guy for this,  as some others do, but he just got out coached and probably out worked in a hyper-hyper-competitive field. (The likes of which all those "if I performed this poorly at my job, I'd be fired" yahoos don't understand)

Let's be real. Bret stepped into a terrible situation and Chad is coming into a fair situation at best. It's technically progress, I guess. But the wolf is still at the door and the man has less ammo for his gun than many of us would like to believe. Hopefully he can pull it out. I think he's  a great coach, but only time will tell.

But again, that isn't the point. I agree with you that the program isn't worlds better and he didn't justify his pay. But the conversation is about whether the program is better or worse now than in 2012,  it by BOW MUCH its better or worse. Twist makes the argument that it's worse, and he's wrong, as many posters have pointed out.

The funny thing is the whole argument has zero to do with Chad Morris, but Twist backed himself into a corner and made it about CCM, so now he's having to throw haymakers defending himself. It's been fun to watch

twistitup

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on March 06, 2018, 09:39:20 am
But again, that isn't the point. I agree with you that the program isn't worlds better and he didn't justify his pay. But the conversation is about whether the program is better or worse now than in 2012,  it by BOW MUCH its better or worse. Twist makes the argument that it's worse, and he's wrong, as many posters have pointed out.

The funny thing is the whole argument has zero to do with Chad Morris, but Twist backed himself into a corner and made it about CCM, so now he's having to throw haymakers defending himself. It's been fun to watch

What WILL be fun to watch is what CCM can do with the team CBB left him. He is changing everything - top to bottom - and hopefully will get different results.

The roster discussion about who was left with the best team...it's just a matter of opinion - no right or wrong - just opinions.

hogcards

Quote from: arlhog on March 03, 2018, 10:12:12 pm
He said we need speed, size and consistency.  He also said this isn't going to be where it needs to be overnight. He's not expecting a lot of results quickly I don't think.  I believe he is optimistic but realistic.

Yea, not liking the attitude.  I understand the supposed realist attitude to an extent, but we were told for years ad nauseam that after the last clown left, we wouldn't need another lengthy rebuild.

I'm not looking forward to another two years of excuses.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

twistitup

Quote from: hogcards on March 06, 2018, 10:50:08 am

Excuses or not - it's reality. This will take time.

#5yearplan

hogcards

Quote from: twistitup on March 06, 2018, 10:56:53 am
Excuses or not - it's reality. This will take time.

#5yearplan

Uh huh.   ;)
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

Deep Shoat

Quote from: twistitup on March 06, 2018, 08:30:12 am
Now.....why in the world would CBB stick with a nutrition program that couldn't put lean, SEC quality athletes on the field that could play for 4 qtrs?
Well, fricking obviously because he thought it was what we needed.  Just like Morris thinks  lighter, faster players are the answer. 

The question is, will CCM go too far away from size chasing Speed the way Bielema chases bulk/strength?  Because the SEC requires both.
All Gas, No Brakes!

twistitup

Quote from: Deep Shoat on March 06, 2018, 11:19:51 am
Well, fricking obviously because he thought it was what we needed.  Just like Morris thinks  lighter, faster players are the answer. 

He still thought it was needed in year 5?

I guess it's not surprising - adjustments just weren't his thing...halftimes, nutrition, s&c, short yardage play calling, etc...

Hawgphat

The next three football seasons will transpire as fate would dictate.  Advocating a policy of firing a head coach and staff every two or three years and starting over from scratch is not a tenable solution to the dilemma which has put Arkansas in the doldrums for the past two years.  At some point, a wise decision MUST be made in the selection of a very competent program director, - - and then everyone needs to step back and disengage from the blatantly-frothing-at-the-mouth backbiting and the "micromanagement" propensity, - -  affording the learning curve process some fresh air and the prerequisite time to grow and flourish.  Football competency is not achieved in a burst of instant gratification.  Haranguing and handicapping a new regime with unrealistic expectations and forecasts of pending dire consequences right out of the chute does not contribute to the building of camaraderie among the Hogs faithful, and is not conducive to forging a unified purpose and a long-term vision of dedicated program loyalty. 

twistitup

bennyl08

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 06, 2018, 08:23:03 am
It's simply a Bielema homer notion...to suggest from the play we witnessed in 2017 that we are "head and shoulders" better than we were when Bielema arrived. If you REALLY believe this...just crazy. The evidence to support this is nil other than maybe what scout.com says.

Did we have more talent than a 4 win season? Probably...but what would've been max output last season? 6 wins? 7 wins? This is not a loaded and stacked roster like people have made it out to be the past couple of years. If it were we would've won more than 4 games in 2017 despite how terrible of an in game coach Bielema is.

However, ive said it once and I'll say it again. If this team comes out and wins 10 plus games this season I'll be first in line to give Bielema credit for having that type of talent built up within the ranks of the team.

Tell that to the hog teams under Ford who won 4 games in back to back years and jumped up to 9 and 8 wins the following two years with Nutt or the 3 win team with Auburn who immediately jumped to 13 wins when they changed coaches.

You say that if the team had more talent then it couldn't possibly have only won 4 games despite the bad coaching, but college football is rife with counter examples showing that such things occurrences are pretty common. Heck, even at the NFL, look at the difference a coach can make in year one with the same players.

Only somebody who is more anti-Bielema than they are pro Hog can't see that. They'd rather tear down the razorbacks in order to score points against Bielema than look at the deep offer sheets our players have, look at the athletic ability our players have, and realize that we are in a position that has happened frequently in college football with a team that performed well below their ability due to a bad coach.

twistitup

bennyl08

hawgon

Morris knows what we need in size and speed.  It isn't like he has only been at high school and SMU.  He was at Clemson and is generally credited by all there with putting them in the position to win the NC th year after he left.  Clemson is pretty much an SEC school that happens to play in the ACC.  Morris knows what we need.  He may or may not get it for us, but this isn't a thing like Bert coming in from the Big 10 with no SEC experience whatsoever.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: hogcards on March 06, 2018, 10:50:08 am
Yea, not liking the attitude.  I understand the supposed realist attitude to an extent, but we were told for years ad nauseam that after the last clown left, we wouldn't need another lengthy rebuild.

Anybody that has paid attention knows we don't have SEC speed.  Just look at the NFL combine from this weekend.

jkstock04

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 06, 2018, 01:29:39 pm
Tell that to the hog teams under Ford who won 4 games in back to back years and jumped up to 9 and 8 wins the following two years with Nutt or the 3 win team with Auburn who immediately jumped to 13 wins when they changed coaches.

You say that if the team had more talent then it couldn't possibly have only won 4 games despite the bad coaching, but college football is rife with counter examples showing that such things occurrences are pretty common. Heck, even at the NFL, look at the difference a coach can make in year one with the same players.

Only somebody who is more anti-Bielema than they are pro Hog can't see that. They'd rather tear down the razorbacks in order to score points against Bielema than look at the deep offer sheets our players have, look at the athletic ability our players have, and realize that we are in a position that has happened frequently in college football with a team that performed well below their ability due to a bad coach.
This is not the first time I have read of a Ford to Nutt transition in comparison to Bielema/Morris transition.

So...you are of the opinion as well that we have similar talent on this roster as the '98-99 squad? 9 or 10 win season this year? Truthfully, if everything you guys have said over the past few years is true we should be in line for a 10 win season.

Like I said above...if it happens I'll be first in line to give Bielema props. Not trying to be snarky or take a shot at Bielema...I literally don't see that type of talent on this team. I think back to Nutts best teams, Petrinos last couple of years....I don't see many of those type of play makers. I think we are better than the 4 win team of 2017 but we will see.

If it doesn't happen like Nutts first year, I hope you guys won't simply blame Morris for not knowing how to utilize the talent on hand in year one.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys