Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Hogs will, without a doubt,

Started by Iwastherein1969, February 08, 2018, 01:11:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Iwastherein1969

go to a Bowl Game next season. I don't think people realize how much talent we had that was hurt and sitting on the sidelines last year. It's not next season I worry about, it's 2019 and 2020 unless the recruiting picks up substantially. We may do so well with the returning talent we have that Chad may be SEC coach of the year. But after that looking over the horizon, unless the Jones kid grows 3 inches and gains 30 lbs, we will have a couple of rough years. But enjoy 2018, it will be a winning one and we'll be the surprise of the SEC at 8-4 overall and 5-3  in the SEC.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Hogindasticks

125 offers out for 2019 and 28 for 2020 tell me its going to be a great time!

RME

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on February 08, 2018, 01:11:43 pm
go to a Bowl Game next season. I don't think people realize how much talent we had that was hurt and sitting on the sidelines last year. It's not next season I worry about, it's 2019 and 2020 unless the recruiting picks up substantially. We may do so well with the returning talent we have that Chad may be SEC coach of the year. But after that looking over the horizon, unless the Jones kid grows 3 inches and gains 30 lbs, we will have a couple of rough years. But enjoy 2018, it will be a winning one and we'll be the surprise of the SEC at 8-4 overall and 5-3  in the SEC.

Whole entire post pretty much went out the window with that right there.

Apart from that, I didn't think it was a bad post. But you're conceding that JSJ is our future at QB when we have what, 4-5 other scholarship QBs on the roster?

Hogindasticks

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 08, 2018, 01:16:30 pm

Apart from that, I didn't think it was a bad post. But you're conceding that JSJ is our future at QB when we have what, 4-5 other scholarship QBs on the roster?

That are much taller as well.

SemperHawg

Totally agree.

I would never go as far as to bash a recruit or player, and for that matter I am really happy that JSJ is a hog, BUT its like the second JSJ committed, Dalton Hyatt and Connor Noland just disappeared.  IF  JSJ is good enough to win the job then I will be his biggest fan, but lets not forget we have two damn good young QB's on the roster to go with Kelly who is only a Soph himself. 

As far as recruiting goes, QB is WAY down the list on position of worry.

Iwastherein1969

Have you watched film on the kid ? I watched every single play in the 5A state championship game and i came away extremely impressed. I suggest you watch the game on you-tube. Manvel High was the most athletic team of all the divisions of the Texas High state playoffs. He has the talent, he just needs to grow physically.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

oldbear

Drew Brees and Russell Wilson are terrible NFL quarterbacks who would get over the top and maybe be able to accomplish something if they were just 6'2" or better.  I'm in no way saying JSJ is going to be either one of them, but let's get this kid on campus and see he and the other quarterbacks perform in a system where the defense doesn't put 14 people, including managers and cheerleaders in the box and see what they can accomplish.

I would venture a guess that any of our quarterbacks have a better chance of being successful with the field more spread than they did with the tight packages we had before.  To heck with measurables being the end all and be all.  Yes you have to be within a certain range at many positions to be able to pull your weight, so to speak.  However, There are outliers at every position.  I can't wait to see the competition and the end result.

RME

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on February 08, 2018, 01:25:34 pm
Have you watched film on the kid ? I watched every single play in the 5A state championship game and i came away extremely impressed. I suggest you watch the game on you-tube. Manvel High was the most athletic team of all the divisions of the Texas High state playoffs. He has the talent, he just needs to grow physically.

Have you watched our other QBs in action? The ones that have already played college football as well as the recruits coming in? Are you a college football coach around these guys day in and day out? Are you a scout or talent evaluator for a team?

I didn't say JSJ wasn't going to be great. I have no idea if he will be or not. My problem with your post was that you're crowning him our future king already, and saying that our hopes and dreams are crushed if the dude doesn't grow. Basically saying he's our only hope, and he has to grow a few inches. "He needs to grow physically," you said. What if a QB on campus is just as or more talented, and already bigger physically?

redleg

I'll predict 8-4, with losses to Alabama and LSU at home, at Auburn, and vs Texas A&M in Dallas.

A) This team has not shown the ability to punch A&M in the mouth, hold them down, and force them to say uncle, and until they do, Arkansas will lose to the Aggies.
B) Arkansas has not beaten the Tigers in Auburn for a decade (2008), and they have not shown anything on the field to doubt that losing at Auburn will continue.
C) LSU is susceptible, but again, the Hogs must prove it on the field. LSU has more talent, and this is the first year under Morris. The odds are against them.
D) Arkansas is not going to beat Alabama in the foreseeable future. When they finally do, it will most likely be in Fayetteville, it will be against a Tide team that has sustained some injuries to key starters, and/or a Tide team that over-looks a very good Razorback squad. Saban may or may not still be the head coach when that happens, but either way, Arkansas won't beat Alabama again until after Saban is long gone. Get use to it, unfortunately.  :-[
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

LRhawg926

Arkansas beat Auburn in Auburn in 2012... but yeah, its been a little while.

redleg

Quote from: oldbear on February 08, 2018, 01:26:30 pm
Drew Brees and Russell Wilson are terrible NFL quarterbacks who would get over the top and maybe be able to accomplish something if they were just 6'2" or better.  I'm in no way saying JSJ is going to be either one of them, but let's get this kid on campus and see he and the other quarterbacks perform in a system where the defense doesn't put 14 people, including managers and cheerleaders in the box and see what they can accomplish.

I would venture a guess that any of our quarterbacks have a better chance of being successful with the field more spread than they did with the tight packages we had before.  To heck with measurables being the end all and be all.  Yes you have to be within a certain range at many positions to be able to pull your weight, so to speak.  However, There are outliers at every position.  I can't wait to see the competition and the end result.
You lost credibility when you said Brees was a terrible QB. Brees has a SB ring, a SB MVP trophy, is an 11 time all-pro, led the NFL in passing yards 7 times, in passing TDs 4 times, has been the NFL Offensive Player of the Year twice, and is a LOCK to be a first ballot Hall of Famer.
Try again.  :P
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Razorbackers

Grizzlyfan

What non-con game do you have us losing?

rhames

Sure Arkansas could get to a bowl game next year but it will be tough.

I think we are in good hands though.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Hogtimes

Quote from: redleg on February 08, 2018, 01:42:25 pm
You lost credibility when you said Brees was a terrible QB. Brees has a SB ring, a SB MVP trophy, is an 11 time all-pro, led the NFL in passing yards 7 times, in passing TDs 4 times, has been the NFL Offensive Player of the Year twice, and is a LOCK to be a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Some people are so serious about this stuff  that  sarcasm goes over their head

rhames

I see some of us are already writing off Mississippi State, Vanderbilt and Missouri as wins. Ole Miss won't be a walk in the park either.

Next year will be fun to watch the team get better.  If they get to a bowl that's just icing on the cake. 
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Razorbackers

Quote from: Hogtimes on February 08, 2018, 02:20:52 pm
Sarcasm  man......

Sounds like something someone would say after they said some ol dumb shizz iyam

CPO Hog

Quote from: Hogtimes on February 08, 2018, 02:19:21 pm
Some people are so serious about this stuff  that  sarcasm goes over their head
^
This

jgphillips3

This team can easily win 7 or 8.  No doubt about it.  Further, they could do that for the next several years.  Morris' challenge is to up the recruiting game enough to where we can legitimately compete with the teams that currently have us at huge talent disparity.  His offense can be an equalizer, but it can't equalize 20 spots in recruiting.  If he could get us in the teens, which is not a huge jump, in 2 or 3 years we could be dangerous every year with a legitimate shot every 4 or 5 years.

Hoggish1

The Jones kids is putting the cart before the horse, don't you think? 

But I agree with you about the talent. I'm look for an outstanding year in 2018; maybe 1998 outstanding.

1highhog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on February 08, 2018, 01:25:34 pm

Wellll, I was around when The Andy Griffith Show was on and running, not just in reruns.  I saw this one episode where Barney was going to be drummed out of being a deputy just because of his height and his weight, State laws you see dictated a deputy needed to be a certain size to do the job.  Well they packed on all the food they could on ole Barney, but just couldn't fatten him up so resorted to cheating, wrapped a chain around his midsection for added weight you see, problem solved.  But wait, Barney was still to short, so they rigged up this neck brace contraption and Barney sit with that thing strapped to his neck with weights on a pulley and after several days it stretched his neck just enough to give him the needed height to pass the physical.

So this is a great thing to try on the Jones kid, if we stretch his neck a couple of inches he might be 6-0' and fans will think he'll be able to do the job just because he's taller, from the shoulders up.  Kind of reminds me of what Nolan used to say about guys being 6-10 and taller but couldn't jump compared to a guy that was 6-7 but was a great athlete and had a wingspan of 7-0.  Or, if a young man has the "it" factor between the ears but isn't the prototypical quarterback, he's worth a shot, the kid might be special, who knows at this point.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: redleg on February 08, 2018, 01:42:25 pm

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 08, 2018, 02:23:20 pm
Sounds like something someone would say after they said some ol dumb shizz iyam

No it's you guys not noticing what sarcasm is.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

LOL..! I know right? If he can beat out who we have on campus and coming in; He Bad..! I'm sure he'll gain weight, but I ain't scare of his height.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

RockyMtnHog

JSJ will probably redshirt next season and run the scout team.  By year 3, he and Noland will battle for the starting QB position.  Noland may be the backup next season.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

lakecityhog

This year the schedule is set for success as well as any schedule over the last 10 years. We have a fairly light non-conference schedule with Colorado State as the strongest opponent. CSU has to be considered lighter than TCU or even Texas Tech.

Take care of business there and we need 2 SEC wins to get to a bowl. With Ole Miss and Vanderbilt as "home" games and late enough in the season to give our team more time to jell we should be considered as favorites. Sneak in a win against ATM or Miss State and we have a year to jump start the Morris era.

johnfanman

4-8. Picking up where we left off. But maybe there is hope for a good recruiting year. Not optimistic though.
Watching the Hogs through hell or high water.

blu

QB should not be a concern for us going forward, which is what I said last year - :) But we do have one QB with quality experience coming back, another couple on the roster with potential, three more new ones coming in (counting Aune), and two more walkons who could be serviceable as well.

I remember the days of the Dick brothers, TJ and MJ. Oh, and Peanut btw - we have decent to good QB depth...thank goodness.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

verticalhog

The road game at Colarado State is the early key to making a bowl.  I think we definitely go at least 6-6 if we win that game since I think we beat Vandy and Ole Miss within our state's boundaries.  On the positive extreme, I think we could go 9-3, losing only to 'Bama, LSU and Auburn.  I think Miss. State and Missour are very winnable on the road and we're WAY past due to beat the Aggies in Arlington.  I don't expect this but think it's possible.

JimmyJohnsonsBoat

I would bet JSJ is more likely to become a slot WR than a QB in his time at UA. CCM could make JSJ an MVP as a WR.

5 wins in CCM's 1st year wouldn't be bad. 5-3 in the SEC is a little unrealistic.

HogFoo

2019 has quite a few top tier talent inside the state.  I agree with the OP.  We will have an excellent season.  Next season was built to be at least an 8win season.  That's why we had to get rid of Bielema when we did or we'd been stuck another 2yrs with him.  And who knows, he may have got it going by then..  but... yes, we'll have a good season.  We had a lot of injured players.  And we had a lot of guys that had talent not getting to play.  plus weve got some talent coming in.  although I agree with OP statement about having a winning season, I am not going to just say the following 2 seasons are forfeit.  You aren't giving Morris credit for what he will be able to do.  If he has 8+ wins this season, he's just gonna build on that, use that to improve his recruiting even more than what it was with such a small amount of schollies he had to give this time.

make no mistake. this was a good class.  those that say it's not don't know a damn about recruiting.  there was only 1 school that was ranked ahead of us that had the same amount of scholarships to give.  that was Stanford, the were about 14 spots ahead of us.  Who knows though, if we get Gerald tomorrow as I am suspecting we will.. we may be the higher than them!  And then what are the complainers going to gripe about??  As trey biddy said, if we had just got the same type player that we were getting to fill out a full allotment of 25 schollies, we would have been in the top 20!!  that would have been the highest ranking since Nuttsack did it at 16th in whatever year that was.  So, everyone griping needs to shush it already.  Either get on board with this coach, or go root somewhere else.  I totally believe that with Morris' deep ties to texas and with us getting at least 8 wins next season that we'll pull a top 15 class recruiting  next season.  it'll be the highest weve ever had since joining the sec too!  watch and see! 

Also OP made comments about JSJ needing to grow a few inches.  Did you forget about conner noland??  dude is going to be a complete stud in this offense!  what about the QBs we have wanting to come next year.  Forget the one kid that was a very highly rated kid whos family were former hogs.   from texas I believe and was comittied to aTm..  yeah, I think he'll be a Hog as well.  btw, we'll never have ANY prob getting QBs or WRs in this offense.  mark that down now.   Next class we'll load up on WRs , and id have no doubt if they are all 4* + everyone of them. 

I love that we got some studs on defense too!  especially if we can indeed close on Gerald tomorrow.    With what we got in the defensive secondary, and what we had last year.  Man, our D backfield is gonna be stout!!  We will be able to plan some man, and we're gonna be able to bring the heat from our DE's!  just like they have in every Dfense Chavis has ever coached.  Obviously, that's what they are telling Gerald, I'm sure they told Agim to get in the best shape of his life, get his speed back, because the next 2yrs are gonna be what makes him a 1st round pick!   watch and see!  He's gonna straight up eat!  Fulwider coming in at 6'7 for a DE,  great height and speed!   We needed some Tree stumps in the middle..  really wished we had an extra schollie for Gooden, cuz we still need that immovable type DT/NG in the middle that can eat up double teams while allowing our DEs to get around.  We got some great LBs,  Bumper and Parker, 2 studs!  already SEC size.  Harris, stud,  even the Morgan kid was better than I thought he was gonna be.  had a lot of heart.  we're gonna have a good team next season. If anything, the 2seasons that the OP thought would be bad, we'll probably be playing quite a few Freshmen and soph.  But, they'll be high quality guys.  Watch and see.  i'm telling ya, Morris is probably gonna give us the best recruiting classes we've ever had.   Our offense is gonna be fun, and our defense is going to be pretty good.  Everything we haven't had since Petrinos last year.

Good times are coming ladies and gents.  just watch and see!   give the guy a chance!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: HogFoo on February 09, 2018, 12:11:41 am
2019 has quite a few top tier talent inside the state.  I agree with the OP.  We will have an excellent season.  Next season was built to be at least an 8win season.  That's why we had to get rid of Bielema when we did or we'd been stuck another 2yrs with him.  And who knows, he may have got it going by then..  but... yes, we'll have a good season.  We had a lot of injured players.  And we had a lot of guys that had talent not getting to play.  plus weve got some talent coming in.  although I agree with OP statement about having a winning season, I am not going to just say the following 2 seasons are forfeit.  You aren't giving Morris credit for what he will be able to do.  If he has 8+ wins this season, he's just gonna build on that, use that to improve his recruiting even more than what it was with such a small amount of schollies he had to give this time.

make no mistake. this was a good class.  those that say it's not don't know a damn about recruiting.  there was only 1 school that was ranked ahead of us that had the same amount of scholarships to give.  that was Stanford, the were about 14 spots ahead of us.  Who knows though, if we get Gerald tomorrow as I am suspecting we will.. we may be the higher than them!  And then what are the complainers going to gripe about??  As trey biddy said, if we had just got the same type player that we were getting to fill out a full allotment of 25 schollies, we would have been in the top 20!!  that would have been the highest ranking since Nuttsack did it at 16th in whatever year that was.  So, everyone griping needs to shush it already.  Either get on board with this coach, or go root somewhere else.  I totally believe that with Morris' deep ties to texas and with us getting at least 8 wins next season that we'll pull a top 15 class recruiting  next season.  it'll be the highest weve ever had since joining the sec too!  watch and see! 

Also OP made comments about JSJ needing to grow a few inches.  Did you forget about conner noland??  dude is going to be a complete stud in this offense!  what about the QBs we have wanting to come next year.  Forget the one kid that was a very highly rated kid whos family were former hogs.   from texas I believe and was comittied to aTm..  yeah, I think he'll be a Hog as well.  btw, we'll never have ANY prob getting QBs or WRs in this offense.  mark that down now.   Next class we'll load up on WRs , and id have no doubt if they are all 4* + everyone of them. 

I love that we got some studs on defense too!  especially if we can indeed close on Gerald tomorrow.    With what we got in the defensive secondary, and what we had last year.  Man, our D backfield is gonna be stout!!  We will be able to plan some man, and we're gonna be able to bring the heat from our DE's!  just like they have in every Dfense Chavis has ever coached.  Obviously, that's what they are telling Gerald, I'm sure they told Agim to get in the best shape of his life, get his speed back, because the next 2yrs are gonna be what makes him a 1st round pick!   watch and see!  He's gonna straight up eat!  Fulwider coming in at 6'7 for a DE,  great height and speed!   We needed some Tree stumps in the middle..  really wished we had an extra schollie for Gooden, cuz we still need that immovable type DT/NG in the middle that can eat up double teams while allowing our DEs to get around.  We got some great LBs,  Bumper and Parker, 2 studs!  already SEC size.  Harris, stud,  even the Morgan kid was better than I thought he was gonna be.  had a lot of heart.  we're gonna have a good team next season. If anything, the 2seasons that the OP thought would be bad, we'll probably be playing quite a few Freshmen and soph.  But, they'll be high quality guys.  Watch and see.  i'm telling ya, Morris is probably gonna give us the best recruiting classes we've ever had.   Our offense is gonna be fun, and our defense is going to be pretty good.  Everything we haven't had since Petrinos last year.

Good times are coming ladies and gents.  just watch and see!   give the guy a chance!

Welcome to Hville Mrs. Morris
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

HogFoo

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on February 09, 2018, 12:43:09 am
Welcome to Hville Mrs. Morris
Sorry to piss you off Mrs Bielema.  But your hubbie sucked and we have a good coach now.  "karma"  haha
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: HogFoo on February 09, 2018, 01:09:21 am
Sorry to piss you off Mrs Bielema.  But your hubbie sucked and we have a good coach now.  "karma"  haha

Nope.
Glad BB is gone.

Your post is simply WAY to optimistic.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

HogFoo

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on February 09, 2018, 01:14:12 am
Nope.
Glad BB is gone.

Your post is simply WAY to optimistic.
Not really bro.  but whatever. 

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: HogFoo on February 09, 2018, 01:16:50 am
Not really bro.  but whatever. 

You have no idea how right I want you to be and wrong I want to be.

;D
His response to me:

HogFoo

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on February 09, 2018, 01:24:48 am
You have no idea how right I want you to be and wrong I want to be.

;D
Well lets see.  We filled up on highly rated Dbs/safety  probably the best on paper since batman/richardson were here.  That goes along well with Callaway, curl, montaric.   Don't see how that's a reach??   With what will be decent depth, if they pan out of course, we should be able to play some man on man.  Especialy since that's what Chavis wants to do.  Bring his DE's crashing in and collapsing the pocket.  That's what he's done at aTm, lsu, tenner.  so I figure he'll try to do the same here.  We have Agim, and if he drops 10-15lbs and gets his speed back, he's gonna be a monster in that dfense.  we'll get back our best corner, and the freshmen we played last season will be much better this season.   So, I can see us being able to do man coverage and be successful at it this season!  Harris and Dre along with Morgan played pretty good.  The 2 guys we got in this class have sec builds, size an speed already.  So, don't see how that is stretch saying that they could be in the rotation sooner rather than later.

The recruiting class rankings.  Don't really see where that's a reach either.  If we had been able to have a full allotment of scholarships, and if we had just got the same type recruit as I imagine we would have, we would have had a top20 class.  And that would have been the best class ranking (for u star gazers) that we'd had since Nuttsack had that 16th/17th ranked class back when..   So don't know what part of that is too much of a reach??

As for saying that I think that Morris will get a top 15 class possibly this time next a season.  Yeah, that may be a stretch.  but then again.. maybe not!  Dude has deeeeeep ties to texas because he was a High school coach at a BIG time school there and everyone liked him!  He went to Clemson got his street cred with them, went to smu, he made them better the entire time he was there.  He had kids he spoke too while at smu that didn't really give him much shot while he was there but when he came to Arkansas , he spoke with them again, and many of the listened!  It was just too late in the process and most just stuck with what they had already committed too.  That will change tho this time next year.  He'll have a full year to get to tell these kids what he's gonna do, where he needs them at..  And, like I said, I believe this coming season is gonna be at least 8-9wins+  That will bode very well towards recruiting because lets face it, everyone likes winners.. the state itself already has some very highly ranked players, like top 100 for all those kids. so getting them will be the priority.. burkes, Jackson, the OL kid the DL kid, getting all of them will be of utmost importance.  but I believe they will get them.  Then, just filling out the class.   Not too far off of a prediction to think that we'll land our own in state top 100 players is it?  Not really!   

Saying we'll get 8-9 wins not too big of stretch either.  Especially after Michigan backed out and we replaced them with turd st.  So very reachable win total! 

What else is there for you to disagree with?   The offense is going to be fun to watch, it'll be ever bit as fun as Petrino.  I believe that Morris is every bit as good of a coach as Petrino was except, he actually likes recruiting and is good recruiter. Petrino HATED recruiting!   The defense I believe will be good as well, especially since we have probably the best DC we've had since I can remember.  Some think he's old, burnt out because he didn't have as much success as people thought he should have at aTm..  not me.. he wasn't there long enough.  I think he has quite a few more years to go.  I think we can get the talent he needs to be successful here at Arkansas too!  Fulwider is a stud. If we get Gerald, stud.  Agim, gonna make some money with how he plays in this system.  Ferrel  has a lot of quickness for a guy his size.  This team already had some talent on it though.  but hey, you can be negative all you like.  that's up to you.  Id rather not be a negative nancy.  true, I may be more positive than negative, but nothing ive said is too far out of the realm of possibility.  Now if I said we'd win the NC next season, ok, yeah that too much..   but.. 8-9 wins, and a top 15-20 recruiting class, yeah that's not too bad.    ;D

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: HogFoo on February 09, 2018, 01:50:47 am
Well lets see.  We filled up on highly rated Dbs/safety  probably the best on paper since batman/richardson were here.  That goes along well with Callaway, curl, montaric.   Don't see how that's a reach??   With what will be decent depth, if they pan out of course, we should be able to play some man on man.  Especialy since that's what Chavis wants to do.  Bring his DE's crashing in and collapsing the pocket.  That's what he's done at aTm, lsu, tenner.  so I figure he'll try to do the same here.  We have Agim, and if he drops 10-15lbs and gets his speed back, he's gonna be a monster in that dfense.  we'll get back our best corner, and the freshmen we played last season will be much better this season.   So, I can see us being able to do man coverage and be successful at it this season!  Harris and Dre along with Morgan played pretty good.  The 2 guys we got in this class have sec builds, size an speed already.  So, don't see how that is stretch saying that they could be in the rotation sooner rather than later.

The recruiting class rankings.  Don't really see where that's a reach either.  If we had been able to have a full allotment of scholarships, and if we had just got the same type recruit as I imagine we would have, we would have had a top20 class.  And that would have been the best class ranking (for u star gazers) that we'd had since Nuttsack had that 16th/17th ranked class back when..   So don't know what part of that is too much of a reach??

As for saying that I think that Morris will get a top 15 class possibly this time next a season.  Yeah, that may be a stretch.  but then again.. maybe not!  Dude has deeeeeep ties to texas because he was a High school coach at a BIG time school there and everyone liked him!  He went to Clemson got his street cred with them, went to smu, he made them better the entire time he was there.  He had kids he spoke too while at smu that didn't really give him much shot while he was there but when he came to Arkansas , he spoke with them again, and many of the listened!  It was just too late in the process and most just stuck with what they had already committed too.  That will change tho this time next year.  He'll have a full year to get to tell these kids what he's gonna do, where he needs them at..  And, like I said, I believe this coming season is gonna be at least 8-9wins+  That will bode very well towards recruiting because lets face it, everyone likes winners.. the state itself already has some very highly ranked players, like top 100 for all those kids. so getting them will be the priority.. burkes, Jackson, the OL kid the DL kid, getting all of them will be of utmost importance.  but I believe they will get them.  Then, just filling out the class.   Not too far off of a prediction to think that we'll land our own in state top 100 players is it?  Not really!   

Saying we'll get 8-9 wins not too big of stretch either.  Especially after Michigan backed out and we replaced them with turd st.  So very reachable win total! 

What else is there for you to disagree with?   The offense is going to be fun to watch, it'll be ever bit as fun as Petrino.  I believe that Morris is every bit as good of a coach as Petrino was except, he actually likes recruiting and is good recruiter. Petrino HATED recruiting!   The defense I believe will be good as well, especially since we have probably the best DC we've had since I can remember.  Some think he's old, burnt out because he didn't have as much success as people thought he should have at aTm..  not me.. he wasn't there long enough.  I think he has quite a few more years to go.  I think we can get the talent he needs to be successful here at Arkansas too!  Fulwider is a stud. If we get Gerald, stud.  Agim, gonna make some money with how he plays in this system.  Ferrel  has a lot of quickness for a guy his size.  This team already had some talent on it though.  but hey, you can be negative all you like.  that's up to you.  Id rather not be a negative nancy.  true, I may be more positive than negative, but nothing ive said is too far out of the realm of possibility.  Now if I said we'd win the NC next season, ok, yeah that too much..   but.. 8-9 wins, and a top 15-20 recruiting class, yeah that's not too bad.    ;D

I'll give you this,  you certainly are willing to give a thorough explanation
;)

I'm being cautiously optimistic.
I know Morris's reputation.
I am excited about the future as it looks.
I also know there will be a transition in style, coaching, etc.

This is also the SEC.

I've been a Hog fan for 40 years and have witnessed heartbreaking,  and frequently baffling losses.
He has yet to coach a game here.

I apologize if I'm approaching this hopefully but cautiously.

That doesn't mean I'm negative just not as positive as some.
No need for the vitriol.
His response to me:

HogFoo

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on February 09, 2018, 02:22:20 am
I'll give you this,  you certainly are willing to give a thorough explanation
;)

I'm being cautiously optimistic.
I know Morris's reputation.
I am excited about the future as it looks.
I also know there will be a transition in style, coaching, etc.

This is also the SEC.

I've been a Hog fan for 40 years and have witnessed heartbreaking,  and frequently baffling losses.
He has yet to coach a game here.

I apologize if I'm approaching this hopefully but cautiously.

That doesn't mean I'm negative just not as positive as some.
No need for the vitriol.
No worries man. I understand how it is.  some people are more of a 'show me' first.  that's quite alright.  I guess I used to be that way.  I used to wonder if we'd ever get things turned around in the SEC.  But then something happened. And here is the deal.  Petrino came, and even though he is a DBag  and I will probably not like the dude for doing us that way.. I will always be grateful to him for showing us and everyone else that you could win big at Arkansas. i'll always be thankful for that.  He showed us a style that was fun to watch, and It won against nearly everyone we played.  It should have won against bama too, if not for a few bad plays.  I'll never forget how loud it got when Ronnie wingo ran that wheel route for  a TD.  that to me was probably the loudest its ever been.  I believe that had Petrino not been such a Dbag and had stuck around he would have figured out how to beat Saban & bama, and he would have won us a few titles by now.  But it didn't work that way and we went down a dark path.  So yeah, I get why you are scared to put any faith in Morris right now. 

Bielema came, and he tried to out bama bama.  And, ya know what, I think he would have eventually had he locked Pittman into a no compete clause.  But when pittman left, he took all of our mojo with him. we were never the same and we never got the same type OL recruit again.  Then Bielema goes and hires a complete nobody to take over OL!  I mean, what was he thinking!??  The absolute, MOST IMPORTANT position on the team and bielema hires a NOBODY , someone with no exp. recruiting, who had only been an asst. coach and took over duty as OL coach for 7games with the bills.  And then the guy doesn't even play the best players because he got his feelings hurt because a few players made a joke about how fat he was and he didn't play them.  really happened!  anyways.. yeah.. when pittman left,  everything changed for us.. might as well have fired bielema right then.  which bielema also never recruited texas hard at all.  he always tried to go for east coast players in florida and such. yeah, maybe when we had partridge who as from that area, ok. but, why didn't he just stick to where our base is?  he didn't and he's gone now.

What did we get to replace him with?  we got a guy that has very deep ties to the state of texas because he used to be a high school coach there.  And he is very well liked. Anyone that knows Morris, loves the guy.  Dabo, everyone at Clemson, everyone at smu, he didn't burn any bridges anywhere he's been, which is good.  Morris runs a similar type offense that petrino ran except probably faster.  I believe that Morris is every bit as good of an offensive mind as petrino ever was. So, I think we'll be able to have to same kind of offenses with the same kind of effect.  Now, do we have a joe adams or jarrius on the team right now??  I don't know.  We had a lot of drops last season.  One of our best WRs a true frosh, Jackson got hurt before season ever started.  will someone step up and be as good as jarrius or joe were?  we'll just have to wait and see on that.  I believe we got the guys, one or two will step forward.   I think we got the RBs, the FBs, the TEs, and I also think that our OL will be much better because we have a good OL coach!  kurt Anderson was NOT ! 

Is it perhaps giving them too much credit before they've done anything?  yeah, probably.  But, i'm ok with that. I'm sticking with my prediction that we'll be just as good as we ever were by year 3.  Aint no sense in being negative. Time will tell tho.   

Pork Twain

There is a lot of talent on this roster and the fact that CBB could not do more with it is why he had to go.  Like I said when CBB took over from JLS, switching from CBP's style to CBB's style is much more difficult than switching to CBP's from HDN's.  You can out-scheme someone with CBP's or Morris's style and hide weaknesses, not so easily done with a team designed to line up and play smash mouth.  You either have it or you don't.  That is why I think CBB fell on his sword and tried to switch to a scheme he was not comfortable with.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: HogFoo on February 09, 2018, 03:04:26 am
No worries man. I understand how it is.  some people are more of a 'show me' first.  that's quite alright.  I guess I used to be that way.  I used to wonder if we'd ever get things turned around in the SEC.  But then something happened. And here is the deal.  Petrino came, and even though he is a DBag  and I will probably not like the dude for doing us that way.. I will always be grateful to him for showing us and everyone else that you could win big at Arkansas. i'll always be thankful for that.  He showed us a style that was fun to watch, and It won against nearly everyone we played.  It should have won against bama too, if not for a few bad plays.  I'll never forget how loud it got when Ronnie wingo ran that wheel route for  a TD.  that to me was probably the loudest its ever been.  I believe that had Petrino not been such a Dbag and had stuck around he would have figured out how to beat Saban & bama, and he would have won us a few titles by now.  But it didn't work that way and we went down a dark path.  So yeah, I get why you are scared to put any faith in Morris right now. 

Bielema came, and he tried to out bama bama.  And, ya know what, I think he would have eventually had he locked Pittman into a no compete clause.  But when pittman left, he took all of our mojo with him. we were never the same and we never got the same type OL recruit again.  Then Bielema goes and hires a complete nobody to take over OL!  I mean, what was he thinking!??  The absolute, MOST IMPORTANT position on the team and bielema hires a NOBODY , someone with no exp. recruiting, who had only been an asst. coach and took over duty as OL coach for 7games with the bills.  And then the guy doesn't even play the best players because he got his feelings hurt because a few players made a joke about how fat he was and he didn't play them.  really happened!  anyways.. yeah.. when pittman left,  everything changed for us.. might as well have fired bielema right then.  which bielema also never recruited texas hard at all.  he always tried to go for east coast players in florida and such. yeah, maybe when we had partridge who as from that area, ok. but, why didn't he just stick to where our base is?  he didn't and he's gone now.

What did we get to replace him with?  we got a guy that has very deep ties to the state of texas because he used to be a high school coach there.  And he is very well liked. Anyone that knows Morris, loves the guy.  Dabo, everyone at Clemson, everyone at smu, he didn't burn any bridges anywhere he's been, which is good.  Morris runs a similar type offense that petrino ran except probably faster.  I believe that Morris is every bit as good of an offensive mind as petrino ever was. So, I think we'll be able to have to same kind of offenses with the same kind of effect.  Now, do we have a joe adams or jarrius on the team right now??  I don't know.  We had a lot of drops last season.  One of our best WRs a true frosh, Jackson got hurt before season ever started.  will someone step up and be as good as jarrius or joe were?  we'll just have to wait and see on that.  I believe we got the guys, one or two will step forward.   I think we got the RBs, the FBs, the TEs, and I also think that our OL will be much better because we have a good OL coach!  kurt Anderson was NOT ! 

Is it perhaps giving them too much credit before they've done anything?  yeah, probably.  But, i'm ok with that. I'm sticking with my prediction that we'll be just as good as we ever were by year 3.  Aint no sense in being negative. Time will tell tho.   

I think you nailed it on the OL woes.
I was always concerned about trying to out Bama, Bama.

The wheels came off before it really had a good chance to get started when Pittman left so early into the
process.

I still question beating Bama up in the trenches though.
There's only so many high end OL and DL recruits to go around.
And development obviously can even the scales a lot. 
But not the depth so much.

I'm anxious to see this play out.
I really am
His response to me:

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: 1highhog on February 08, 2018, 02:57:04 pm
Wellll, I was around when The Andy Griffith Show was on and running, not just in reruns.  I saw this one episode where Barney was going to be drummed out of being a deputy just because of his height and his weight, State laws you see dictated a deputy needed to be a certain size to do the job.  Well they packed on all the food they could on ole Barney, but just couldn't fatten him up so resorted to cheating, wrapped a chain around his midsection for added weight you see, problem solved.  But wait, Barney was still to short, so they rigged up this neck brace contraption and Barney sit with that thing strapped to his neck with weights on a pulley and after several days it stretched his neck just enough to give him the needed height to pass the physical.

So this is a great thing to try on the Jones kid, if we stretch his neck a couple of inches he might be 6-0' and fans will think he'll be able to do the job just because he's taller, from the shoulders up.  Kind of reminds me of what Nolan used to say about guys being 6-10 and taller but couldn't jump compared to a guy that was 6-7 but was a great athlete and had a wingspan of 7-0.  Or, if a young man has the "it" factor between the ears but isn't the prototypical quarterback, he's worth a shot, the kid might be special, who knows at this point.

That was a classic episode, though they really weren't cheating with the chain. As I recall, they hung it around his neck and hung his whistle from it. No regulations as to the construction of the whistle lanyard. :)
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

texas tush hog

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 09, 2018, 05:01:06 am
There is a lot of talent on this roster and the fact that CBB could not do more with it is why he had to go.  Like I said when CBB took over from JLS, switching from CBP's style to CBB's style is much more difficult than switching to CBP's from HDN's.  You can out-scheme someone with CBP's or Morris's style and hide weaknesses, not so easily done with a team designed to line up and play smash mouth.  You either have it or you don't.  That is why I think CBB fell on his sword and tried to switch to a scheme he was not comfortable with.

Here, Here, Dilly, Dilly.

PygmalionEffect2

Quote from: HogFoo on February 09, 2018, 12:11:41 am

Not even HogFoo can come up with anything positive to say about our offensive line.

Dang, It's worse than I thought.  Now I'm depressed.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

Hogarusa

Being a P5 team and going to a bowl game doesnt mean much. Beat 4 non P5 teams and go 2-6 in conf and you are in
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

HogPharmer

Quote from: Hogarusa on February 09, 2018, 04:22:01 pm
Being a P5 team and going to a bowl game doesnt mean much. Beat 4 non P5 teams and go 2-6 in conf and you are in

See Mizzou 2017. They went 6-0 to end the regular season against teams with losing records.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

HogFoo

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on February 09, 2018, 04:17:40 pm
Not even HogFoo can come up with anything positive to say about our offensive line.

Dang, It's worse than I thought.  Now I'm depressed.
I wasnt a fan of Kurt Anderson.  He was horrible. SHould have never been hired.  His hiring cost Bielema his job plain and simple.  With that said, there was talent on the OL, we just werent using it.  I believe that Froholdt will be pretty good this season. Probably one of the strongest guys on the team.  Other than Capps.   I believe we'll trim the fat on all of our OL guys, theyll be quicker and be able to pass -pro  pretty well.  Much easier to pass pro than try to be a bull dozer in this league. Of course the elite teams have OL that can do both.  If we can just get our guys in shape, i think theyll be ok.  People will be wondering where our crappy OL play from last season went is my predicition for this season.  We'll just have to wait and see though. 

Grizzlyfan

We should get a bowl game this year.  More by virtue of the schedule than the talent, but I'll take it.

HiggiePiggy

A lot of the easier teams are on the road and the harder teams are at home. Win our Non-con and find 4 wins in the sec.  I can see 8-4 and would love that, but first year with complete new system I can also see what was BPs first year. Difference though is CM has a much better qb than BP did.  So I will say 7 wins.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

HogFoo

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 09, 2018, 05:16:02 pm
A lot of the easier teams are on the road and the harder teams are at home. Win our Non-con and find 4 wins in the sec.  I can see 8-4 and would love that, but first year with complete new system I can also see what was BPs first year. Difference though is CM has a much better qb than BP did.  So I will say 7 wins.
8-4 isnt a reach at all.  i dont see it as that anyways.  Hopefully with the addition of Gerald as i was predicting wed get will make people feel better.  Adding him should put us above stanford as having the highest rated class with the fewest amount of scholarships!  So, to add to my being positive as some seem to not be on board with, haha... imagine if Morris had had a full alotment of schollies to give out??  Like i said, trey biddy had said if we had just hit the avg player that we were getting, we'd had a top 20 class which would have been the highest ranking we'd had since Nuttsack had got us a 16/17 ranked class back whenever.    This to me, just was the topping on the cake.  or rather if ya see Geralds twitter the topping on the cookie..haha  So, that lends to me keeping with my prediction that with an 8 -9 win season next years recruiting class could be a top15 type.  i have no doubt that Morris and staff can do it!  Especially after what he did last night with the repelling thing.  Guy is energetic, and so is his staff.  Its gonna be good times fellas!   Our defense might be pretty impressive this season!  Agim and Gerald coming off the ends collapsing the pocket, Get our best CB back from injury, get Callaway, curl, brown, and all the 4* guys we added this class..   add Pool and Parker into the rotation at LB...  Capps in middle as the tree stump they cant move..  I think Chavis will have all the makings to have an excellent defense.   I believe Morris will be able to get the offense going as well.  As ive stated, i think we already have the Rbs, WRs, TEs, QBs, and i think the OL will be much much better.   Very Happy today that Gerald did indeed pick the Hogs!