Jeff Long

Started by Hogs-n-Roses, September 10, 2017, 01:38:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Is he the man for the AD job at Arkansas

Yes , And needs to keep Bret B.
72 (14.3%)
Yes, just needs to hire a new head coach
103 (20.5%)
No, he is on a seperate page from the fanbase,hire someone new.
327 (65.1%)

Total Members Voted: 501

RME

Quote from: hoghearted on September 12, 2017, 10:43:36 am
Butch Davis is a fine coach, did very well at Miami. UNC has never been known for its football program. And their scandal had nothing to do with him, as he was cleared in the investigation. Try again.

You asked, I answered. Bielema never seemed a good fit for Arkansas to me.

You did answer, I'll give you that. That's more than most.

But at that time, I'm not gonna take Butch Davis or Brent Venables over a guy who's taken a team to 7 straight bowls, 3 straight Rose Bowls, and won 3 Big Ten championships all in consecutive years.

Tusks

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Butch Davis as a college coach.  He was the fall guy when NC got busted.

I lived in Dallas when he was DC of the cowboys and that man can coach football.  At least we know his ceiling is that of a GM and HC of a NFL team is a little too much for him.

Bert could only get hired as an assistant of an assistant in the NFL.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

ATU HOG

No problem with the hire at the time.  I have a problem with our constant push for an agenda from our AD.

GuvHog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 12, 2017, 10:14:31 am
Who would you have hired at the time? Let's see if I actually get an answer this time. Every time I ask that question to someone who [CENSORED] about the Bielema hire, I never see a response.

It shouldn't have been necessary to make a hire then because there shouldn't have been a vacancy. Firing BP was a major mistake. A competent AD doesn't fire a Head coach who just led his team to a #12 and #5 final national ranking in back to back seasons while running a clean program that isn't even close to being investigated ny the NCAA, he handles it in house. Suspend him for a couple of months and dock his pay? Yes, but don't fire him.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

sickboy

Quote from: lefty08 on September 12, 2017, 09:55:30 am
You guys do pretty well with this hindsight thing. Bielema was a homerun hire when the hire was made. It hasnt worked out for sure, but Long no doubt made a good hire at the time. He is also really good at his job, which involves much more than hiring football coaches. This is a dumb thread

Not to mention, our program was in shambles. Getting Bielema at that time was equal to, if not crazier, than hiring Petrino off the freaking Atlanta Falcons.

If we get rid of Jeff Long... have fun. We will have just gotten rid of one of the most respected Athletic Directors in the country. Good luck finding someone to replace him. If you think our program was a mess after Petrino wrecked his damn motorcycle, then go ahead -- fire Jeff Long. See how that goes.

ricepig

Quote from: Pecos Hog on September 12, 2017, 10:08:35 am
If this is the case we can save a ton of money on a coach who doesn't have to worry about winning.    Hire a coach for $1MM and get a bunch of acedemic counselors with the leftover change.   

Wait, you care about money?

RME

Quote from: GuvHog on September 12, 2017, 10:49:47 am
It shouldn't have been necessary to make a hire then because there shouldn't have been a vacancy. Firing BP was a major mistake. A competent AD doesn't fire a Head coach who just led his team to a #12 and #5 final national ranking in back to back seasons while running a clean program that isn't even close to being investigated ny the NCAA, he handles it in house

A competent head coach doesn't do the darn Bobby did.

And yeah, I'm a Petrino guy. Doesn't mean I can't admit he was a dumbshit for what he did back then. When your boss gives you chances to come clean and you don't, that's pretty stupid.

hoglady

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 12, 2017, 10:42:09 am
Butch Davis worked out so well for UNC.

Link to the Venables report? A quick Google search during that whole time period yields nothing.

"Countless other up and comers" aren't names. That's a broad generalization. And more speculation.

Actually Davis was doing a fine job at NC - before becoming the scapegoat for the academic scandal.
A scandal which was there long before Davis ever set foot on campus and that NCAA investigation is still ongoing.
Davis was totally cleared by the NCAA, he cleaned up Miami.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

EastexHawg

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 12, 2017, 10:14:31 am
Who would you have hired at the time? Let's see if I actually get an answer this time. Every time I ask that question to someone who [CENSORED] about the Bielema hire, I never see a response.

How naïve do you have to be to realize the general public doesn't know who is available or unavailable at any given time?  Did you know Bielema was available?  Did anyone other than Long know?  Did anyone know Petrino was available?

The way you find out who is available is you get hired by an SEC or similar program and you either field phone calls...or love letters...or you inquire through agents or back channels.  Of course none of that would happen if the university didn't give you access to a big ass pile of money and the authority to offer someone $3 to $4 million per year to coach the program.   

I know you think your question is some sort of "gotcha", but frankly it is so simplistic that all it really does is demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of how the major college sports world works.  It's something a fifth grader might ask, then turn to his equally juvenile friends with a big grin on his face as if he had really shown everyone how smart he is.

RME

Quote from: hoglady on September 12, 2017, 10:52:51 am
Actually Davis was doing a fine job at NC - before becoming the scapegoat for the academic scandal.
A scandal which was there long before Davis ever set foot on campus and that NCAA investigation is still ongoing.
Davis was totally cleared by the NCAA, he cleaned up Miami.

4-8
8-5
8-5
8-5

Those are his win totals by year at UNC. He would be eaten alive here for those numbers.

RME

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 12, 2017, 10:54:38 am
How naïve do you have to be to realize the general public doesn't know who is available or unavailable at any given time?  Did you know Bielema was available?  Did anyone other than Long know?  Did anyone know Petrino was available?

The way you find out who is available is you get hired by an SEC or similar program and you either field phone calls...or love letters...or you inquire through agents or back channels.  Of course none of that would happen if the university didn't give you access to a big ass pile of money and the authority to offer someone $3 to $4 million per year to coach the program.   

I know you think your question is some sort of "gotcha", but frankly it is so simplistic that all it really does is demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of how the major college sports world works.  It's something a fifth grader might ask, then turn to his equally juvenile friends with a big grin on his face as if he had really shown everyone how smart he is.

In that case, maybe Bielema was the best we could've hired. By your logic, we don't know who else we could've had or who was available or who we had a legitimate shot to hire.

Who's to say Bielema wasn't the best option at that time? Clearly not you, based on what you just said.

Gotcha.

hoghearted

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 12, 2017, 10:55:14 am
4-8
8-5
8-5
8-5

Those are his win totals by year at UNC. He would be eaten alive here for those numbers.

A basketball school. One that places little emphasis on football.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 12, 2017, 10:54:38 am

So someone was juvenile on a thread in which anonymous people discuss who should be hired for highpaying jobs in an organization none of us work for or hire for?
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

Tusks

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 12, 2017, 10:56:37 am
In that case, maybe Bielema was the best we could've hired. By your logic, we don't know who else we could've had or who was available or who we had a legitimate shot to hire.

Who's to say Bielema wasn't the best option at that time? Clearly not you, based on what you just said.

Gotcha.

Mike MacIntyre, Darrell Hazell, P.J. Fleck.

I just didn't like the hire.  Wasn't impressed at all when the nutter blew the game against him and wasn't impressed with his teams winning in a severely watered down Big10.  He's just not that bright.

GuvHog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 12, 2017, 10:52:41 am
A competent head coach doesn't do the darn Bobby did.

And yeah, I'm a Petrino guy. Doesn't mean I can't admit he was a dumbshit for what he did back then. When your boss gives you chances to come clean and you don't, that's pretty stupid.

You'd be surprised how many successful coaches have affairs and their ADs know about it. Let's not act like Long didn't know what Bobby was doing. There is no doubt in my mind that Long knew about the affair when he signed off on Jessica's hire. He fired BP and paid Jessica to quietly leave to cover his own backside.

RME

Quote from: tusked on September 12, 2017, 11:00:41 am

Mike MacIntyre, Darrell Hazell, P.J. Fleck.

I just didn't like the hire.  Wasn't impressed at all when the nutter blew the game against him and wasn't impressed with his teams winning in a severely watered down Big10.  He's just not that bright.

MacIntyre has had 2 winning seasons in 7 full seasons as a head coach.

Hazell has had 1 winning season in 5 full seasons as a head coach, and was fired mid-year by Purdue.

Fleck is the only one I would possibly agree with, but he had 0 head coaching experience at the time Bielema was hired.

You'd hire those guys over a guy with the track record I mentioned earlier?

GuvHog

Quote from: hoghearted on September 12, 2017, 10:57:50 am
A basketball school. One that places little emphasis on football.

Exactly. Going 8-5 three straight years at a school where football is barely an afterthought is a nice accomplishment. He would do a lot better at a football first school like Arkansas.

RME

Quote from: GuvHog on September 12, 2017, 11:00:50 am
You'd be surprised how many successful coaches have affairs and their ADs know about it. Let's not act like Long didn't know what Bobby was doing. There is no doubt in my mind that Long knew about the affair when he signed off on Jessica's hire. He fired BP and paid Jessica to quietly leave to cover his own backside.

Yeah, totally.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on September 10, 2017, 01:38:16 pm
I voted #3 as he has a 19-43 record in the SEC and I think he's the wrong person for the job in other ways. Such as the constant pumping up of the grades and graduation rates like they are as important as winning games and not being embarrassed regularly.I think the grades and graduation issues are important but as long as we're within NCAA limitations,I'm fine. For example. In all the years and games I went to I never looked down there and said" Boy ole #73 has a 3.99 overall GPA" WOW, I'm proud of that. If he has a 2.6 and is wrecking backfields from the DT spot, I'm just fine.

Send the Carpet Bagger packing Tarred and Feathered on a Northbound Train.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Tusks

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 12, 2017, 11:05:58 am

Hazell has had 1 winning season in 5 full seasons as a head coach, and was fired mid-year by Purdue.

Fleck is the only one I would possibly agree with, but he had 0 head coaching experience at the time Bielema was hired.

It's called insight and knowing the game and knowing coaches.

You're going by resume.  If you just go by paper in life then good for you.  Some of us use our gut and what we see, taste and smell to make decisions.

gchamblee

4-8
8-5
8-5
8-5

CBB gets mocked for being an 8-5 ceiling kind of guy. CBD is praised for being an 8-5 guy in a weaker conference.

hoglady

4-8
8-5
8-5
8-5

Do you realize how many players got benched for the entire season - NC was set to contend for the ACC.
14 players missed at least one game and seven were forced to sit the entire season.
To still finish 8-5 was a miracle.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

gchamblee

Long didnt know, and I have shown you proof twice now. And, as I predicted, you have continued to ignore the evidence and keep brigading threads with your inaccurate accusations that he knew what was going on. You guys are fast to accuse Jeff of lying, but have no problems with your own lies when pushing your false narrative. Tell us again why we should consider you a credible source on anything more complicated than todays lunch menu at the YMCA?

Tusks

Quote from: hoglady on September 12, 2017, 11:11:10 am
Do you realize how many players got benched for the entire season - NC was set to contend for the ACC.
14 players missed at least one game and seven were forced to sit the entire season.
To still finish 8-5 was a miracle.

28-23 is better than the record the hogs have after the first 4 years of Bert.

Some people just argue to argue cause fighting the fight for Bert and Earnie right now is there's nothing better to do.

RME

Quote from: tusked on September 12, 2017, 11:10:50 am
It's called insight and knowing the game and knowing coaches.

You're going by resume.  If you just go by paper in life then good for you.  Some of us use our gut and what we see, taste and smell to make decisions.

So remind me again why aren't you an AD or in the position to hire football coaches?

Tusks

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 12, 2017, 11:14:58 am
So remind me again why aren't you an AD or in the position to hire football coaches?

Because I left the state and made my fortune in technology.

gchamblee

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 12, 2017, 11:05:58 am

These guys would have flipped out of Fleck had been hired with 0 HC experience when they found out CBB was available and wanted the job. In short, they are unhappy and are just manufacturing reasons to be outraged.

gchamblee

Quote from: GuvHog on September 12, 2017, 11:06:01 am
Exactly. Going 8-5 three straight years at a school where football is barely an afterthought is a nice accomplishment. He would do a lot better at a football first school like Arkansas.

Are you implying that UNC would withhold scholarships on top notch football players that CBD recruited because they are a basketball school? CBD went out and recruited who he wanted and UNC being a basketball school had nothing to do with it. You are doing mental gymnastics to justify your opinion and it just looks stupid. If CBD was the guy, he would have been the guy at any P5 school.

RME

Quote from: gchamblee on September 12, 2017, 11:15:57 am
These guys would have flipped out of Fleck had been hired with 0 HC experience when they found out CBB was available and wanted the job. In short, they are unhappy and are just manufacturing reasons to be outraged.

Can you imagine the implosion of this place had we hired a guy who had 1 good year out of 3 at SJSU (MacIntyre) or a guy who had 1 good year out of 2 at Kent State (Hazell)? Holy Lord have mercy.

Those guys were subsequently hired by Colorado and Purdue. I guess if we wanna be seen as on par with those programs, so be it.

I'm not even defending Bielema. He's gotta get his darn together right now. I'm defending the hire at the time.

ricepig

Please give us all the sordid details on these affairs that you know about.

GuvHog

Quote from: gchamblee on September 12, 2017, 11:14:12 am
Long didnt know, and I have shown you proof twice now. And, as I predicted, you have continued to ignore the evidence and keep brigading threads with your inaccurate accusations that he knew what was going on. You guys are fast to accuse Jeff of lying, but have no problems with your own lies when pushing your false narrative. Tell us again why we should consider you a credible source on anything more complicated than todays lunch menu at the YMCA?

You have shown no such proof. You just believe Long when he says he didn't know. Go ahead and keep kissing his backside. Some of us have wised up and know the truth about Jeff long.

Kevin

hiring cbb was smart.  the contract is stupid
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Tusks

Quote from: gchamblee on September 12, 2017, 11:17:35 am
Are you implying that UNC would withhold scholarships on top notch football players that CBD recruited because they are a basketball school? CBD went out and recruited who he wanted and UNC being a basketball school had nothing to do with it. You are doing mental gymnastics to justify your opinion and it just looks stupid. If CBD was the guy, he would have been the guy at any P5 school.

Are you really that dense?

You're boy is touting integrity over winning but still paying the big money to win without the results.

If he had said 'we're going the up and comer route and trying to find the next great coach' you don't think fans would have bought in?

See I ask over and over what to hell does JL do that is above and beyond his job description
and can't get an answer.  Sometimes I think just because he can string a complete sentence together makes him a genius for some of you.

hogcard1964

For the life of me I could never understand why fans are content with their team being an after thought or in our case currently, actually becoming a bad football program.  Although it was a bit more understanding at the time because Nutt had some success while he was here, the same thing happened during Nutt's waning days here. 

The other argument that's comical is whatever this guy has supposedly "built" here would be destroyed if he left.  Uhhhh, he hasn't done squat folks.  We could actually be getting worse.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: ricepig on September 12, 2017, 11:18:36 am

I bet he's got pictures.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

HognitiveDissonance

Jeff Long is a man of integrity and a great leader of the UA programs. He's well respected nationwide, charismatic, and an excellent businessman, more than capable of running a multi-million dollar athletics program. I like the guy a lot.

Having said that, the ultimate measure of success is wins and losses, and particularly football and basketball, and also baseball. Those are the ones all fans watch. And the success there solely depends on the quality of hires Long makes. Basically the AD controls the success of all those sports, via the guys he hires. So it's all on him, ultimately. That entails having the gift of being able to recognize potential in people and having vision to see if that person can have success at the UA. This was Broyles's biggest gift: he was an incredible visionary, in many ways. His best hires were lesser known people at the time; JFB saw their potential and gave them a chance. (McDonnell, Sutton, Richardson, Van Horn, etc).

Long has simply had only one home run hire, and that was Petrino, who we all know fell into his lap after pursuing other lesser candidates, and then he fired him. So I'm not sure if Petrino should count either. Mike Anderson is a good coach, but he's not a home run hire either. Bret Bielema is a good coach, but he's not at Petrino's level, and results are showing he's not even at Houston Nutt's level as an SEC coach. Some of us were not sold on CBB when he was hired and said we were taking a step backwards from the Petrino days, while others were salivating over his Wisconsin success. Apples to oranges, this is Arkansas and this is the SEC. He's just not ever shown to be a high-caliber coach. He's not an offensive guru like Petrino, nor a defensive mastermind like Saban, or a special teams expert like Frank Beamer. He basically has no area of expertise.

Some are always asking 'what big-name coach would come here?'. You're already off base. Bielema is as big a name as you can get, but that's not necessarily the right track. The best coaches at Arkansas were not household names when they came here. But hiring those guys requires an AD who can identify them. And that's where it gets sticky; Jeff hasn't shown that talent to find those guys. He seems to have no 'vision', as he only seems to go after guys who are 'known' in some way (Grobe, Bowden, Mike Anderson, etc). All those guys are good, but my issue is, they can never be GREAT. There is no GREATNESS in those guys. I would rather roll the dice on an unproven guy with potential and have the chance to be GREAT, instead of just hiring another 'good' coach who will never get it done.

This is why I didn't have a problem with the Jimmy Dykes hire. I give Jeff credit, he thought outside the box and took a flyer who could potentially by GREAT. I like that, swing for the fences and hit a home run, or strike out. So I won't fault him for trying that.

gchamblee

Quote from: ricepig on September 12, 2017, 11:18:36 am

Trust me, Guv doesn't know a darned thing. He just likes to pretend he does.

gchamblee

Quote from: Kevin on September 12, 2017, 11:19:21 am
hiring cbb was smart.  the contract is stupid

This is a credible argument

gchamblee

Quote from: GuvHog on September 12, 2017, 11:18:45 am
You have shown no such proof. You just believe Long when he says he didn't know. Go ahead and keep kissing his backside. Some of us have wised up and know the truth about Jeff long.

I have, multiple times. You just ignore data that contradicts your BS opinion.

ricepig

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on September 12, 2017, 11:24:02 am
Jeff Long is a man of integrity and a great leader of the UA programs. He's well respected nationwide, charismatic, and an excellent businessman, more than capable of running a multi-million dollar athletics program. I like the guy a lot.

Having said that, the ultimate measure of success is wins and losses, and particularly football and basketball, and also baseball. Those are the ones all fans watch. And the success there solely depends on the quality of hires Long makes. Basically the AD controls the success of all those sports, via the guys he hires. So it's all on him, ultimately. That entails having the gift of being able to recognize potential in people and having vision to see if that person can have success at the UA. This was Broyles's biggest gift: he was an incredible visionary, in many ways. His best hires were lesser known people at the time; JFB saw their potential and gave them a chance. (McDonnell, Sutton, Richardson, Van Horn, etc).

Long has simply had only one home run hire, and that was Petrino, who we all know fell into his lap after pursuing other lesser candidates, and then he fired him. So I'm not sure if Petrino should count either. Mike Anderson is a good coach, but he's not a home run hire either. Bret Bielema is a good coach, but he's not at Petrino's level, and results are showing he's not even at Houston Nutt's level as an SEC coach. Some of us were not sold on CBB when he was hired and said we were taking a step backwards from the Petrino days, while others were salivating over his Wisconsin success. Apples to oranges, this is Arkansas and this is the SEC. He's just not ever shown to be a high-caliber coach. He's not an offensive guru like Petrino, nor a defensive mastermind like Saban, or a special teams expert like Frank Beamer. He basically has no area of expertise.

Some are always asking 'what big-name coach would come here?'. You're already off base. Bielema is as big a name as you can get, but that's necessarily the right track. The best coaches at Arkansas were not household names when they came here. But hiring those guys requires an AD who can identify them. And that's where it gets sticky; Jeff hasn't shown that talent to find those guys. He seems to have no 'vision', as he only seems to go after guys who are 'known' in some way (Grobe, Bowden, Mike Anderson, etc). All those guys are good, but my issue is, they can never be GREAT. There is no GREATNESS in those guys. I would rather roll the dice on an unproven guy with potential and have the chance to be GREAT, instead of just hiring another 'good' coach who will never get it done.

Well, in Dec of 2018 if we keep the current trend going, we'll get the opportunity to find an up and comer who has greatness. We aren't hiring a coach this week, or 99% after the season. Oh, I don't see us hiring a new AD either.

gchamblee

Quote from: tusked on September 12, 2017, 11:21:19 am
Are you really that dense?

You're boy is touting integrity over winning but still paying the big money to win without the results.

If he had said 'we're going the up and comer route and trying to find the next great coach' you don't think fans would have bought in?

See I ask over and over what to hell does JL do that is above and beyond his job description
and can't get an answer.  Sometimes I think just because he can string a complete sentence together makes him a genius for some of you.

He isn't my boy, he is our AD. He isn't touting integrity over winning, he is touting integrity and winning. For someone that ran off and made a fortune in technology you sure seem to be hindered by something as simple as a google search. Plus, mr. educated fortune man, the mechanic of your and you're is pretty easy to grasp.

gchamblee

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 12, 2017, 11:21:36 am
For the life of me I could never understand why fans are content with their team being an after thought or in our case currently, actually becoming a bad football program.  Although it was a bit more understanding at the time because Nutt had some success while he was here, the same thing happened during Nutt's waning days here. 

The other argument that's comical is whatever this guy has supposedly "built" here would be destroyed if he left.  Uhhhh, he hasn't done squat folks.  We could actually be getting worse.

Nobody is content with losing, that is just your hyperbolic hogwash to prop up your opinion.

GuvHog

Quote from: gchamblee on September 12, 2017, 11:25:56 am
I have, multiple times. You just ignore data that contradicts your BS opinion.

No you haven't. you've just shown where Jeff Long said he didn't know. Like I said, keep kissing his backside.

RME

Quote from: tusked on September 12, 2017, 11:15:36 am
Because I left the state and made my fortune in technology.

Don't AD's make a fortune?

gchamblee

Quote from: GuvHog on September 12, 2017, 11:31:02 am
No you haven't. you've just shown where Jeff Long said he didn't know. Like I said, keep kissing his backside.

Reply #32 in this thread...

Jeff Longs notes regarding the Petrino incident...

https://localtvkfsm.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/jeff-long-notes.pdf

Bobby Petrinos Personnel file

https://localtvkfsm.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/bobby-petrino-personnel-file.pdf

John Fagg's notes

https://localtvkfsm.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/jon-fagg-notes.pdf

Jessica Dorrell's Personnel file

https://localtvkfsm.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/jessica-dorrell-personnel-file.pdf

There aren't any pictures so you might need to get someone to read it to you.

PorkRinds

Quote from: ricepig on September 12, 2017, 11:27:51 am
Well, in Dec of 2018 if we keep the current trend going, we'll get the opportunity to find an up and comer who has greatness. We aren't hiring a coach this week, or 99% after the season. Oh, I don't see us hiring a new AD either.

The truth is that the people that matter like jeff long. Most of the people here that dislike jeff long, don't matter when it comes to his job.

Tusks

If this is all it takes to be given the keys to the Razorback Bugatti then that's why the hogs are in the athletic mess they're in.

I don't know you or many of your post, not meaning to knock you but I just don't get it.

Tusks

gchamblee

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 12, 2017, 11:33:30 am
The truth is that the people that matter like jeff long. Most of the people here that dislike jeff long, don't matter when it comes to his job.

The truth is...

1. If JL hires an up and comer to see if he can be the next lightning in a bottle and doesn't work out these idiots would say "He is an idiot and can't be trusted to hire coaches!!!!"

2. If JL hires a successful coach away from a P5 conference with multiple titles and premier bowl appearances and he doesn't work out these idiots would say "He is an idiot and can't be trusted to hire coaches!!!!"

3. If JL hires a coach that wins a lot of games these idiots would say "He didn't hire him, he fell into his lap. He just got lucky!!!!"

redneckfriend

Some are always asking 'what big-name coach would come here?'. You're already off base. Bielema is as big a name as you can get, but that's necessarily the right track. The best coaches at Arkansas were not household names when they came here. But hiring those guys requires an AD who can identify them. And that's where it gets sticky; Jeff hasn't shown that talent to find those guys. He seems to have no 'vision', as he only seems to go after guys who are 'known' in some way (Grobe, Bowden, Mike Anderson, etc). All those guys are good, but my issue is, they can never be GREAT. There is no GREATNESS in those guys. I would rather roll the dice on an unproven guy with potential and have the chance to be GREAT, instead of just hiring another 'good' coach who will never get it done.

I think Long did the right thing with Petrino. I also think he has done a pretty good job of bringing "name" coaches to Arkansas in difficult circumstances. But you might have a point (or you might not). The problem at Arkansas, especially in football (and I think the Anderson hire falls into an entirely different category), is recruiting. This is argued back and forth endlessly on this site partly because, as another poster suggested, it can't be fixed (or easily fixed) so many don't want to acknowledge the fact ("diamonds in the rough" "coach-em up" "player development").

If that problem is acknowledged then Long's argument would be that the people in the best position to overcome it are "name" coaches. Now he might be wrong- you might be right- another more intuitive AD might see something in a small school coach or a coordinator and that might be a better hire than a name head coach. But how many ADs can you name who have done that in a situation like Arkansas? And just how do you think it would go down with the fan base if a John Pelfrey-type hire was made in football? This board would be howling for Long's scalp if that type of hire failed. This is a difficult job because the coach is caught between a rock and a hard spot- the somewhat unrealistic demands of the fan base and the realities of recruiting to Arkansas in the SEC