http://www.sharkbite.com/

Has anyone tried their products?

Good? Bad?

Mike_e

Quote from: hawgrunner on December 28, 2014, 11:56:34 pm
http://www.sharkbite.com/

Has anyone tried their products?

Good? Bad?

I've had contractors use them in a couple of hotels.  Never gave me any more trouble.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

GolfNut57

plumbing and electrical products for the home are two things you NEVER want to get cheap on.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

hawgrunner

Quote from: Mike_e on December 29, 2014, 12:42:25 pm
I've had contractors use them in a couple of hotels.  Never gave me any more trouble.

Cool, Thanks

hawgrunner

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 30, 2014, 12:22:14 am
plumbing and electrical products for the home are two things you NEVER want to get cheap on.

So you think their cheap? or you just making a general statement.

GolfNut57

Quote from: hawgrunner on December 30, 2014, 12:46:35 am
So you think their cheap? or you just making a general statement.

Not familiar with the products you mentioned. Just saying in general that when it comes to your home you always want to get the best that you can afford. Anyone who tries to go cheap usually regrets it in the end.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

woodrow hog call

I have used them with good results on soft copper. I would not recommend them on hard drawn, or stick copper. I don't think the teeth will bite into hard copper.

Are you running new pipe or just adding on?
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

hawgrunner

Quote from: woodrow hog call on December 30, 2014, 12:43:31 pm
Are you running new pipe or just adding on?

A little of both...

Cut that out and replace.

woodrow hog call

So it looks like you made a good cut on the line where your valve was, I assume you are replacing the valve and the water heater? I would probably go back with a compression fitting right there, the problem you have is the solder on the pipe has to be all sanded off, (need to do that regardless of what you go back with). If you can get some of the mesh type sanding cloth it will eat that soft solder off pretty good without taking the copper too much. Tear off about a foot of it and then start working it like a shoe shine.
Get it good and clean back about an inch from the end, and then get compression valve on there, or a compression to pipe thread fitting.

Also, if you plan to sell the house in the future you may have to put an expansion tank on top of your water heater, easier to do it now than come back and do it later. Lowe's has them and you can see an example of how to pipe them in.

You may already know that but just thought I would throw it in because I had to come back and add one after a home inspection.

edit
I don't think those are made for copper at all, after going to to the link, they make some for copper but I think the brand in the link may only be for pex.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"