Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

May 04, 2024, 06:06:04 pm

Firefox is Funky

Started by Oklahawg, November 23, 2014, 10:07:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

I am a Mac user, usually on Firefox.

Of late, it has gotten more wonky and unreliable (spinning disks...).

I have deactivated plugins and add-ons that seem unnecessary, and have tried a lot of "tricks".

The spinning disk was most annoying tonight as I tried to watch the Razorback Nation video...but the spinning disk begat an Adobe flash crash. Yet, I have updated Flash regularly, and have updated it this evening (twice).

Any suggestions?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

I was heading to youtube to see if I had done something...flash hung/spinning dial and then crashed on youtube.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Got a pop-up on youtube: it wouldn't let me cut/paste the text. I'll try to grab a screen shot next time. Something about a kernel...

Oklahawg

Here it is.

With update: I added an add-on called youtube flash player. Fixed Youtube.

[attachment deleted by admin]

grayhawg

Not familar with Mac but I had to get rid of Firefox on my PC for similar reasons. Not sure if Google Chrome would work on Mac or not.

Oklahawg

Razorback Nation page had the sidebar videos show up gray, asking me to activate Adobe. I clicked and was prompted by firefox to activate. I did.

Then...spinning disk...and adobe crashed.

Oklahawg

Quote from: grayhawg on November 23, 2014, 10:14:22 pm
Not familar with Mac but I had to get rid of Firefox on my PC for similar reasons. Not sure if Google Chrome would work on Mac or not.

This has been a recent issue. Very recent. My work requires a lot of youtube activity. I needed an add-on to allow me to download a video. I have since removed the add-on but that was the time that things went south.

It used to be that you could let your browsing history build up but now I have to clear it out every couple of days.

As I'm typing, I am waiting for "asdf". Other sites will be "google analytics". The latter is why I'm hesitant to use google chrome - I use chrome for most of my work stuff (youtube stuff is the only work related venture on firefox). Keep a sort of firewall between pleasure and work using browsers, yknow?

grayhawg

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 23, 2014, 10:24:53 pm
This has been a recent issue. Very recent. My work requires a lot of youtube activity. I needed an add-on to allow me to download a video. I have since removed the add-on but that was the time that things went south.

It used to be that you could let your browsing history build up but now I have to clear it out every couple of days.

As I'm typing, I am waiting for "asdf". Other sites will be "google analytics". The latter is why I'm hesitant to use google chrome - I use chrome for most of my work stuff (youtube stuff is the only work related venture on firefox). Keep a sort of firewall between pleasure and work using browsers, yknow?
Yeah I see what you mean, my problem with firefox was it locked up constantly and I hated to drop it I had used it for 5 years or so.

Oklahawg

It appears to be a growing problem. I've heard grumblings from friends about it as well.

Demaghog

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 23, 2014, 10:24:53 pm

If you're worried about google analytics or other trackers, put chrome into incognito mode. When you close a browser that is in incognito mode, any tracker cookies are deleted. You can also use it to browse at work without saving history, etc.

Doug

Guys, unless you have Linux or MAC experience with Firefox, please do not compare your Windows + Firefox situation to Okla's... trust me... they are *very* different.

Okla, did you update iTunes within the past 10 days? That's actually an iTunes error, not an Adobe error.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Oklahawg

Quote from: Doug on November 23, 2014, 11:43:06 pm
Guys, unless you have Linux or MAC experience with Firefox, please do not compare your Windows + Firefox situation to Okla's... trust me... they are *very* different.

Okla, did you update iTunes within the past 10 days? That's actually an iTunes error, not an Adobe error.

Yes I did. Is there an iTunes fix I need to go grab?

Doug

http://blog.iphoting.com/blog/2012/09/04/fixing-broken-iphone-usb-tethering-on-os-x/

While this talks about the iPhone tethering... the problem you described in your image is what lead me to iTunes.
--Doug

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Oklahawg

OK, Doug. You know me - I am not very smart with technology. What is the kindergarten fix? Or, is there one??

Wait for the next iTunes update?

majestic

I'm not a MAC guy, so this really just applies to Firefox in general. I've switched over to Palemoon, which is a leaner/faster version of FF. It requires some tweaking, but has been much faster and more stable for me than FF.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Oklahawg

Quote from: majestic on November 24, 2014, 12:41:00 pm
I'm not a MAC guy, so this really just applies to Firefox in general. I've switched over to Palemoon, which is a leaner/faster version of FF. It requires some tweaking, but has been much faster and more stable for me than FF.

I'll check it out.

Today...I enabled shockwave flash and everything works. We'll see if that theory holds out when I get home tonight.

Doug

Okla, if seven's guidance doesn't work, just follow the step by step instructions I linked to... they're baby steps. :)
--Doug

Doug

You offered him your first born!  ::chuckles:: Can you check with your friends to see if they were able to resolve any issues after doing the OS update?
--Doug

Oklahawg

I am not on Yosemite. I don't have my laptop here right now. I'll get back with you guys in a couple of hours.

RebelliousHog

Trying Palemoon. It seems pretty stable and quick.

I read somewhere that FF has gotten so bloated that it starts using lots of resources to run. Bear might know more about that.

*WARNING*  PM does NOT automatically transfer information from FF. There is a tool you can download that will, and when you do it brings EVERYTHING to PM from FF. I didn't even have to re-enter my password to get to HV*
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Doug

Yes, Firefox does get a bit more bloated with each release, HOWEVER, if you closely monitor your usage, you can keep it in check. Keep your cache cleared and that'll also keep FF in check.
--Doug

RebelliousHog

One issue with PM was the navigation arrows weren't on the Nav toolbar.

Go to>view> toolbars>customize>new window>drag buttons to nav toolbar> restart PM.

EDIT: Bookmark tool bar not nav toolbar.  My bad
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Lanny

I dropped Firefox and went with Chrome
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Doug

They all have their issues. I prefer Firefox.. Chrome is my secondary backup (I also have IE, Opera, and Safari installed).

FYI, Opera is my least favorite browser... I'll use IE before I use Opera.
--Doug

GolfNut57

I use Chrome, and Firefox. I have I.E. installed but rarely ever try to use it.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

GolfNut57

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 06, 2015, 07:40:19 am
And don't you feel dirty when you do use I.E.?   ;D

Mostly just frustrated.......lol
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

DeltaBoy

I run my Online Radio on Firefox and other than some issues back in Nov never had anymore once I got a patch and update from Firefox.

We use Chrome here at our school district and it got some nice features like shared folders and documents.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Doug

SMDH... if you're gonna blast PDF readers from Adobe, at least give someone an alternative to use.... say... something like FoxIT.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/

I use both Adobe and FoxIT. FoxIT is my default PDF reader, and does a good job. Light, quick, fast and not bloated.

As far as Flash is concerned... if you're that paranoid about security risks, unplug your computer, dump it in the closet and never get online anywhere again, period.

Flash is insecure.
Java is insecure.
Your Insurance Company is insecure.
Home Depot, at one point, was insecure.
The internet is insecure.
Even your home is insecure.

It's all a matter of what YOU do to protect yourself.

Get educated.
STAY educated.
--Doug

hawgrunner

Quote from: Doug on February 28, 2015, 06:40:10 am
Flash is insecure.
Java is insecure.
Your Insurance Company is insecure.
Home Depot, at one point, was insecure.
The internet is insecure.
Even your home is insecure.

It's all a matter of what YOU do to protect yourself.

Get educated.
STAY educated.

So very True.