Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA: proposed College Baseball Rules

Started by razCzar, June 17, 2017, 05:51:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razCzar

What's The State Of College Baseball?
Kendall Rogers - June 16, 2017

https://d1baseball.com/columns/whats-state-college-baseball/?utm_content=buffer83658&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

This is good one, especially for those of us who love the sport but don't necessarily live and breathe it year-round.  Kendall seems to cover all of the potential rule changes being considered by the NCAA. 

This subject adds a whole new dimension of interest in the game for me.  I'd really like to see someone(s) on HV take applicable proposals and discuss from the Hog perspective..... as in, would the change likely help us or hurt?

Hogwild

I like the idea of seeding the top 16, if they can do it for girl's softball why not baseball?

Also instead of doing a 3-3-3 format, if they want to get more teams hosting through the country,  reverse the current order.  Top 32 teams host the bottom 32 teams, then top 8 teams then host a 4 team regional.

SPAL

I'm glad they are basically saying no to reseeding. Why penalize a 4 seed for knocking out a top seed by making them play the best team available?

It will never happen nor should it.

A 3-3-3 would have helped us this year. Best of 3 against ORU and then a best of 3 against mo state. I feel like we were built more for a super than a regional. I like the idea of a 3-3-3.

ucahogfan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 18, 2017, 01:35:33 pm
I'm glad they are basically saying no to reseeding. Why penalize a 4 seed for knocking out a top seed by making them play the best team available?

A 3-3-3 would have helped us this year. Best of 3 against ORU and then a best of 3 against mo state. I feel like we were built more for a super than a regional. I like the idea of a 3-3-3.
College baseball is all about winning on the weekend playing three games so it makes the most sense to have that be how it is decided in postseason action as well.

jry04

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 18, 2017, 01:35:33 pm

I agree. I do not think Missouri State beats us twice in a 3 game series, but was definitely worried about a regional format with the way our pitching was set up. (although pitching didn't turn out to be the problem.)

tennesseehogwild

Barring injuries ...We should be in fine shape for a 4-team regional next year. I like it the way it is. Gives the underdogs a fair chance and makes for drama. Only down side is it can certainly deplete your pitching.

thebignasty

I agree that 3-3-3 makes sense, but I've always enjoyed how regional format tests a teams depth and can make heroes  out unsuspected guys.

dotnet

Quote from: thebignasty on June 18, 2017, 06:29:15 pm
I agree that 3-3-3 makes sense, but I've always enjoyed how regional format tests a teams depth and can make heroes  out unsuspected guys.

I agree with this, with the major thing in favor of 3-3-3 is the reducing the strain on kids arms.  You basically put managers in the no win situation when you get to the fifth game in three days

WizardofhOgZ

Pardon my ignorance, but what does a 3-3-3 tournament format look like?  If we're talking about a best 2 of 3 for each step of the tournament, I'm not sure how that would look and how it could take place without either reducing the field or taking a lot longer than the current format.

Would appreciate an explanation.

Thanks in advance.

nationwish

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on June 19, 2017, 01:42:33 pm
Pardon my ignorance, but what does a 3-3-3 tournament format look like?  If we're talking about a best 2 of 3 for each step of the tournament, I'm not sure how that would look and how it could take place without either reducing the field or taking a lot longer than the current format.

Would appreciate an explanation.

Thanks in advance.

I think it would add another weekend. As it currently stands, you have regionals then super regionals before the CWS. I think this would just add another weekend series to that.

southarkhog06

Quote from: nationwish on June 19, 2017, 07:04:13 pm
I think it would add another weekend. As it currently stands, you have regionals then super regionals before the CWS. I think this would just add another weekend series to that.
that is how I understand it also. basically it would be: round of 64, round of 32, super regionals, all best 2 of 3 series. The CWS would remain unchanged.

HogFansReunited

I think we would have done way better in a 3-3-3 setup this season. I don't think anyone will be able to beat Oregon State  though, man they look good and have looked good all year.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

rljjr

I think basically the 3-3-3 means there is no losers bracket. You lose the series and you're done. Survive and advance. I can live with that. It would also mean that hosting would be even more important. That's two big revenue weekends at Baum in a row, and potentially three if the Hogs made it to Supers as the higher seed. Not a bad bonus for the NCAA, especially with 11K-plus darn near guaranteed.

I like seeding the 16.

I never have understood the scholarship issue in baseball and hope that gets corrected to AT LEAST 18.

I'm not hung up on pace of play. I think when you tinker with that you run the risk of fundamentally changing the game and that bothers me.

PurpleHog

3-3-3 simply means you start with 64 teams. Those 64 teams are paired off into 32 hosts playing a best 2 out of 3 series against whomever they're hosting. (just like a super regional) Those 32 winners are then paired off again and play another best 2 of 3 series. Those 16 winners are now back to our original Super Regional format. Those 8 winners go to Omaha. What would be interesting is how the seeding for those first 2 rounds are handled. Are all 64 seeded? Does geography play any role?

As far as scholarships are concerned, I just want everyone to have the same number. LSU (and others) shouldn't be allowed to give any more financial aid than Arkansas. I don't care if it's academic, needs-based, or athletic money. Every team should get to spend the same amount of money on financial aid as everybody else.

Vandyhog4

Quote from: PurpleHog on June 20, 2017, 02:37:21 pm
3-3-3 simply means you start with 64 teams. Those 64 teams are paired off into 32 hosts playing a best 2 out of 3 series against whomever they're hosting. (just like a super regional) Those 32 winners are then paired off again and play another best 2 of 3 series. Those 16 winners are now back to our original Super Regional format. Those 8 winners go to Omaha. What would be interesting is how the seeding for those first 2 rounds are handled. Are all 64 seeded? Does geography play any role?

As far as scholarships are concerned, I just want everyone to have the same number. LSU (and others) shouldn't be allowed to give any more financial aid than Arkansas. I don't care if it's academic, needs-based, or athletic money. Every team should get to spend the same amount of money on financial aid as everybody else.

Sounds like seeding the top 16 teams is where we are headed.  Regardless of whether they keep the current Regional/Super Regional format or move to the 3-3-3 format, I would imagine that geography will continue to play some role in the earlier rounds.   

To your other point, unless baseball becomes a full scholarship sport or tuition is the same at all member institutions, then there will continue be inequities.     

SPAL

I just don't see the need to reseed.

Arkansas vs oral Roberts in a best of 3 at Baum friday-sunday.
Missouri State vs Oklahoma state in a best of 3 at mo state thursday-saturday.

Winners meet at Baum for round of 32 the following Thursday or Friday. . Winner advances to Super. The following Friday.

Looks like it would just be one more weekend of baseball and what baseball fan wouldn't like that?

thebignasty

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 20, 2017, 05:04:48 pm
I just don't see the need to reseed.

Arkansas vs oral Roberts in a best of 3 at Baum friday-sunday.
Missouri State vs Oklahoma state in a best of 3 at mo state thursday-saturday.

Winners meet at Baum for round of 32 the following Thursday or Friday. . Winner advances to Super. The following Friday.

Looks like it would just be one more weekend of baseball and what baseball fan wouldn't like that?
I agree, but if they aren't all going to be fri-sat I'd make the 2 and 3 seed play til Sunday.

SPAL

Quote from: thebignasty on June 20, 2017, 06:47:25 pm
I agree, but if they aren't all going to be fri-sat I'd make the 2 and 3 seed play til Sunday.

It's arbitrary but my line of thinking was bigger crowd on Friday night.

thebignasty

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 20, 2017, 08:21:40 pm
It's arbitrary but my line of thinking was bigger crowd on Friday night.
was just thinking might put a team on a slightly shortened rest schedule.