Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cole Kelley in a read option offense

Started by SemperHawg, November 21, 2017, 02:20:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

31to6

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 22, 2017, 10:48:50 am
CK has a gut right now.  Take 15-20 pounds off him and he might look more nimble.
Whole team has conditioning issues. Not because the players won't do the work, but because the staff is obsessed with being big.

longpig

Quote from: MAGA45 on November 22, 2017, 10:54:57 am
I'm trying to figure out where people get that Cole has a "live arm".  Is it because he is 6'7 270 and he "should" have a rocket arm that can sling that ball over them mountains?  I have seen nothing from the young man that ooz's big time arm or even arm talent.  He really needs to look long and hard at LA Monroe or the likes, especially if we get a spread/read option type coach in here, he will not fit.

Because Bert said he does. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

UA1985

None of it matters if he doesn't improve his passing accuracy tremendously. He throws from a different position each time and it's anyone's guess if it's going to be too high, low, or off to the left or right. Rather than practicing dual threat plays, let's have him work on throwing mechanics. Great potential but he needs a lot of work.

870hogfan

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

colbs

Not sure why so many think Cole is bad.  He is still a RS freshman and played behind a horrible OL.

texhog22

Quote from: IronHog on November 21, 2017, 02:36:22 pm
He'd be better as a Tebow style runner

Just snap him the thing and block
Seriously???????

texhog22

Kelley is NOT what we need right now. He is not and will never be a top QB. Just isn't there. VERY unathletic but is big on heart, small on brains! These young Men are told EVERY DAY, "do not drink" this is football season. If you get in trouble it could mean getting kicked off the team. What does he do.....? Gets a DUI right after a loss, out partying it up. I'll pass on this one, Next?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: SemperHawg on November 21, 2017, 02:20:23 pm
We have already seen what he brings to the table running the ball.  Not terribly fleet of foot but long striding and durable.  I have to wonder how he would look in an offense that utilized the read option to its fullest *cough Gus cough cough*

Cole Kelley running the read option with Whaley in the back field and guys like Hammonds and Hayden to attack the perimeter. 

I know this is getting way ahead of myself, but I like the possibility of how it could look.

Cole is effective running the ball most of the time when there is another option but when they know it is him carrying the ball, defenses can man up and stop him. Good kid, great competitor, usually good for a couple of yards, maybe three or more. But, in a regular RPO type of offense you need a QB that really presents a threat to break a big play if ignored or not keyed on. Someone with speed. Think about what A&M has done to us with the QB. I love Cole and I think that he has tremendous, unrealized potential as a drop back passer, but he isn't your classic RPO QB.
Go Hogs Go!

IronHog

Quote from: MAGA45 on November 22, 2017, 10:54:57 am
I'm trying to figure out where people get that Cole has a "live arm".  Is it because he is 6'7 270 and he "should" have a rocket arm that can sling that ball over them mountains?  I have seen nothing from the young man that ooz's big time arm or even arm talent.  He really needs to look long and hard at LA Monroe or the likes, especially if we get a spread/read option type coach in here, he will not fit.

He has a huge arm.

He can't control it yet but he can sling it when he wants to
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Citizen2729

If CK is the future we are in trouble. Hopefully the next coach will be able to get a real dual threat or at least solid pocket passer since CK is neither.

Hogindasticks

He will not be able to run Gus's offense, simply not quick enough.  Plenty of arm and strength.  Agility and Speed are not strong enough to manage it.

Coles best running play is the bowling ball, straight ahead and run over a couple of defenders.  You give real defenders a side angle on him and he cannot escape them or beat them.  Down the line decision making in read option is his worst nightmare.  Unfortunately, the fact that this coaching staff likes him speaks volumes.

code red

Quote from: hogsanity on November 21, 2017, 02:25:19 pm
I have watched CK run with the ball, and I can not figure out why people think he is a running QB & why they would want him in a read option offense.
Agreed If Gus comes he will transfer
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Temprees

Quote from: MJ2 on November 22, 2017, 10:26:01 am
Sounds like Jim Harris doesn't think any QB on campus now will be the QB under the new coach.
I agree with Jim Harris.