Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas State: "worst bowl team since start of BCS era"

Started by ReturnToDynasty?, December 20, 2005, 03:42:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ReturnToDynasty?

What will happen: This might not be pretty if Southern Miss is prepared. Arkansas State might be the worst bowl team to get a post-season bid since the start of the BCS era, and it won't be able to do much on either side of the ball against a Golden Eagle team looking to go out with a bang.

Fearless Prediction: Southern Miss 41 ... Arkansas State 14

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/5171918

3kgthog

That would just about make my Christmas if the Banned Mascots got their butt handed to them. Hope they enjoy that bowl gift basket.

Thunderhog Jr

WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

Field of Hogs

If Noce is on his game they will have a good chance at winning. I have been to a few games this year and if Noce plays good the team will play good. Keep in mind they are going to a bowl and we are not! Thanks Frank!

Donald Miller

I was at the 2000 Las Vegas Bowl, we were not a good team at 6-5 going in either. Then for good measure we let UNLV manhandle us.

hoggyhog

That's why I would rather watch the paint dry on the wall this evening than watch that game.
Have a GREAT day!!

TNhogfan

Quote from: Donald Miller on December 20, 2005, 04:04:14 pm
I was at the 2000 Las Vegas Bowl, we were not a good team at 6-5 going in either. Then for good measure we let UNLV manhandle us.
It was a pretty bad team in the 2002 Music City Bowl which went out and was whipped by MN, but I did enjoy getting to see the stadium. 

cmakrzrbak

I for one hope they win. Sure, they aren't near as followed as the Hogs in this state, but they have my support and should have most of the states.  It's just like when UCA was in the D1-AA tourney, if you knew about it, you were rooting for them.  Why root against them?  Would you really rather see S. Miss kill them?  I want them to do as good as they can and am pulling for the upset.  Why do some people in this state WANT them to lose?  They are probably going to, but I'll still be rooting for them.
"You've got to give a little love to those who love to live"

Philip Lynott

Hoggam's Razor

Quote from: cmakrzrbak on December 20, 2005, 04:26:34 pm
I for one hope they win. Sure, they aren't near as followed as the Hogs in this state, but they have my support and should have most of the states. It's just like when UCA was in the D1-AA tourney, if you knew about it, you were rooting for them. Why root against them? Would you really rather see S. Miss kill them? I want them to do as good as they can and am pulling for the upset. Why do some people in this state WANT them to lose? They are probably going to, but I'll still be rooting for them.

Because any exposure for them is less recruiting power for the HOGs.....we are competing for a very small pool of football talent in Arkansas.
I hate it when people complain.

hogtheball

I played with Steve Roberts at OBU.  He's a great guy and a huge fan of Arkansas football - from little league to high school to college. He was also a huge Razorback fan.  I don't see how so many people can hope ASU loses. Steve took a job that NOBODY wanted and has been successful.  And that's at a school that is not hoping to sign any top recruits this year, next year or ever.  He's got a bunch of hard working kids (many of which were over-looked by the Hogs) who are trying to build a winning program by playing over their heads.  Those kids deserve our support just as much as those deemed worthy by HDN to wear a Hog helmet for four years.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

hogsanity

Whatever team the sunbelt sends to the No bowl every year is the worst team to make a bowl since the BCs started.  THe sunbelt may be the weakest Fb conference in college fb.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogwild07

I like Steve Roberts and I think he is a good coach.  But i cannot help but to hope Southern Miss destroys them.  This is not bc of Roberts or any of the players.  This is because of the stupid fans they have.  The fans that have "how long will the hogs run" stickers on their car.  I have no respect for this team bc when i go to their games and they announce that Arkansas is getting beat, they cheer.  They hate us and have no respect for us, so i could care less about them.

Ugly Uncle

When I lived in Jonesboro I used to get grief when I would wear "hog" stuff.  Not by all, but my too many.  Let Arkansas state have their day of getting beat up around the field...then they will slip back into being insignificant again.

Hope they get beat by 30
Retired Radio Host

Hogwild07

I get it ALL the time bc I live in Jonesboro.  All you hog fans supporting ASU dont have to be around their idiotic fans all the time.  All they do is talk about us being scared to play them.  If you lived in Jonesboro or near Jonesboro, you would understand and grow to despise ASU.

slaughts3

Quote from: phitauhog on December 20, 2005, 05:10:53 pm
I for one hope they win. Sure, they aren't near as followed as the Hogs in this state, but they have my support and should have most of the states. It's just like when UCA was in the D1-AA tourney, if you knew about it, you were rooting for them. Why root against them? Would you really rather see S. Miss kill them? I want them to do as good as they can and am pulling for the upset. Why do some people in this state WANT them to lose? They are probably going to, but I'll still be rooting for them.

Because any exposure for them is less recruiting power for the HOGs.....we are competing for a very small pool of football talent in Arkansas.

there is no way that a new orleans bowl win would put the indians up there getting 4 and 5 star recruits.  the only thing it will effect is some 3 star recruits that might want to leave the state.  I mean come on its the sun belt, the worst DI conference, and they havent been to a bowl game since the 70s

bigred7987

Wow anyone else see that sign..."Hog Fans wish u were here"

bigred7987

The only thing it will affect is our Plan C recruits when our A and B plan recruits sign elsewhere

bigyellowdog

Quote from: bigred7987 on December 20, 2005, 07:04:56 pm

Yep.  I thought it was a little unnecessary.

TulsaHawg

TulsaHawg

mr4pt

Quote from: phitauhog on December 20, 2005, 05:10:53 pm

We are now recruiting against Arkansas State??

How sad is that?!?

TulsaHawg

Jerry Swinefeld

Quote from: bigyellowdog on December 20, 2005, 07:15:59 pm

Yep. I thought it was a little unnecessary.

For all of you pulling for them....
this is exactly why I hate them.

GO USM

WPS
GHG

bigyellowdog

Quote from: Jerry Swinefeld on December 20, 2005, 07:56:13 pm

GO USM

WPS
GHG

It seems like they are still more concerned with the Hogs than they are with USM.

ejay286

Thats like everybody not rooting for the Hogs cuz some guy burned Auburns tigertail.  Everyone has obnoxious fans.

Ash

Ya, I just see a whole lote of haterade here from all the fans that are sour on the UofA program and are lashing out at whatever they can. I guess like you said I should hate Arkansas because some idiot burned the Auburn van up. UofA should not be recruiting against ASU it is UofA's own fault that they have let their program fall as far as it is.

I'm supporting ASU because I'm a fan of this state and always root for any team coming from here.

nwarazfan

Quote from: bigyellowdog on December 20, 2005, 08:04:31 pm
Quote from: Jerry Swinefeld on December 20, 2005, 07:56:13 pm

GO USM

WPS
GHG

It seems like they are still more concerned with the Hogs than they are with USM.

They have a mental problem when it comes to this.  Instead of worrying about themselves, they are consumed by Hog envy at all times.  They just need to keep building their football program and end their Nutt hostage crisis on their basketball program and start winning more.  Stop worrying about the Hogs until they are worthy of some respect. 

tmac

It doesn't sound like very many of you are watching the game, with about 2:00 minutes in the game the score is 3 - 3. Neither team can move the ball without giving it up. Fumbles, interceptions galore. It is an uneventful game. It is like watching a high shcool game, Pea Ridge vs Huntsville. Southern just scored USM 10 ARK ST 3. Whoopee.

nwarazfan

Gotta respect that.  Nutt would never throw deep in the last minute of the half in a game where he was underdog.

Factual Fiction

snoutface

Hey, it's tied @ halftime.  Like Ash, I'm pulling for them cause they're from Arkansas.  After tonight they can go back to being the ugly step-sister.
Sometimes it's better for me to be quiet and let everybody believe I'm dumb as dirt, than to speak up and prove it.

Hoggam's Razor

Yes, we don't compete with ASU for recruits.........but, in a few years we could.
This game is actually a little ironic....Southern Miss for several years was the ASU of mississippi......they never got any respect from MSU or Ole Miss and the Southern fans alway chanted the "they're scared of us" crap....
Now Southern Miss routinely pulls players that the 2 SEC schools normally got.

We don't compete now, but we could.......as a HOG fan in a very small recruiting state we do not need any competition, even for a 2 star marginal athlete.

BTW.......it's tied 10-10 at halftime on national television....you think there's any marginal football players that the HOGs could be interested that are watching right now?

Hogwild07

ASU better hope that recruits werent watching that.   I want to see the ratings bc i bet they were horrible.  That was one of the worst games ive ever seen.  I knew ASU was bad but USM really disappointed me.....ASU actually did alright.  But that sign one of their jealous bitter fans made is the sole reason i cannot stand the indians.  I would rather the hogs be sittin at home than go to that pathetic bowl and play in front of 18,000.  There were more ppl at the state championship!  Arkansas does not need to worry about ASU at all.  They will not steal any recruits and if they ever did play us they couldnt even compete.  So for the rest of their lives, those ASU fans will continue to be known as the sorry school that they are.

HawgWyld

Quote from: Ash on December 20, 2005, 08:14:08 pm
I'm supporting ASU because I'm a fan of this state and always root for any team coming from here.

Same here. I'll not pull for any team playing against an Arkansas school at any time. Period.

Hoggam's Razor

Quote from: Hogwild07 on December 20, 2005, 11:13:12 pm
ASU better hope that recruits werent watching that. I want to see the ratings bc i bet they were horrible. That was one of the worst games ive ever seen. I knew ASU was bad but USM really disappointed me.....ASU actually did alright. But that sign one of their jealous bitter fans made is the sole reason i cannot stand the indians. I would rather the hogs be sittin at home than go to that pathetic bowl and play in front of 18,000. There were more ppl at the state championship! Arkansas does not need to worry about ASU at all. They will not steal any recruits and if they ever did play us they couldnt even compete. So for the rest of their lives, those ASU fans will continue to be known as the sorry school that they are.

I don't disagree that it was a poor turnout and the ratings were most likely miserable..........but, miserable ratings and poor attendance are better than no ratings and no attendance.

Bottom line......ASU got exposure tonight.  Exposure that we won't get.  It just takes one 2 star offensive guard from Magnolia that chooses ASU over the HOGs- because he (a 17 year old impressionable kid) believes that ASU could offer him more PT and exposure than the HOGs- to make a difference in HOG recruiting.

As a HOG fan we cannot root for ASU or wish to play them.......ANY exposure for them will be detrimental to the Razorback program.........unless Arkansas gets like Texas in high school football and we have more recruits than we need......then we can root for ASU all the live long day.

Hoggam's Razor

Quote from: phitauhog on December 20, 2005, 11:45:53 pm
ASU better hope that recruits werent watching that. I want to see the ratings bc i bet they were horrible. That was one of the worst games ive ever seen. I knew ASU was bad but USM really disappointed me.....ASU actually did alright. But that sign one of their jealous bitter fans made is the sole reason i cannot stand the indians. I would rather the hogs be sittin at home than go to that pathetic bowl and play in front of 18,000. There were more ppl at the state championship! Arkansas does not need to worry about ASU at all. They will not steal any recruits and if they ever did play us they couldnt even compete. So for the rest of their lives, those ASU fans will continue to be known as the sorry school that they are.

I don't disagree that it was a poor turnout and the ratings were most likely miserable..........but, miserable ratings and poor attendance are better than no ratings and no attendance.

Bottom line......ASU got exposure tonight. Exposure that we won't get. It just takes one 2 star offensive guard from Magnolia that chooses ASU over the HOGs- because he (a 17 year old impressionable kid) believes that ASU could offer him more PT and exposure than the HOGs- to make a difference in HOG recruiting.

As a HOG fan we cannot root for ASU or wish to play them.......ANY exposure for them will be detrimental to the Razorback program.........unless Arkansas gets like Texas in high school football and we have more recruits than we need......then we can root for ASU all the live long day.

.........and with all that said....I was actually pulling for ASU myself......because I hate anything from Mississippi.:)

94 Hawg

better game than I expected (closer anyway)

from this point ASU fans have 2 choices:

A) realize that you can do it on your own w/o having to play the hogs   

OR

B) send a note to Frank Broyles thanking him for letting you go to a bowl game this year
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

PiggyBack

Quote from: Donald Miller on December 20, 2005, 04:04:14 pm

But, hey, it was a bowl right?  Hurray for Dale!!
Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

HawgWyld

Bottom line......ASU got exposure tonight. Exposure that we won't get. It just takes one 2 star offensive guard from Magnolia that chooses ASU over the HOGs- because he (a 17 year old impressionable kid) believes that ASU could offer him more PT and exposure than the HOGs- to make a difference in HOG recruiting.

As a HOG fan we cannot root for ASU or wish to play them.......ANY exposure for them will be detrimental to the Razorback program.

Can't agree with you there. Sure, ASU got some exposure. Sure, some two-star recruit from Bryant might have been impressed with the game. But, that's exactly as it should be. Competition is good as it makes all participants stronger. In other words, a little competition would likely cause fans to demand more than one 4-4 SEC record after another from the Razorbacks.

ASU made a decent showing tonight. Good for them.

Hoggam's Razor

Quote from: HawgWyld on December 21, 2005, 12:05:13 am

As a HOG fan we cannot root for ASU or wish to play them.......ANY exposure for them will be detrimental to the Razorback program.

Can't agree with you there. Sure, ASU got some exposure. Sure, some two-star recruit from Bryant might have been impressed with the game. But, that's exactly as it should be. Competition is good as it makes all participants stronger. In other words, a little competition would likely cause fans to demand more than one 4-4 SEC record after another from the Razorbacks.

ASU made a decent showing tonight. Good for them.

Think long term.
First it's a 2 star from Lonoke....then three 2 stars from Ashdown, Charleston and Dollarway.
10 years from now we are competing for the 3 and 4 star recruits because ASU has been to 7 bowl games in 10 years..........

There is NO negative with exposure.....just some recruit hearing ASU on ESPN when he has NEVER heard ASU on ESPN is cause to make HOG recruiters sweat.

PS..I'll bet I can name more small Arkansas towns than you.:)

abq

I think the question is, how many two stars from Magnolia go out of state because the Hogs aren't interested? If they have another viable instate alternative I think that is a plus. Keep those kids in Arkansas where they will most likely stay and raise more good recruits. It would make Arkansas high school football better and the rising tide would raise all ships, so to speak. Hey, maybe we would have been better off playing ASU since 20 years ago. How many decent to good high school players have we lost to the likes of Oklahoma State, North Texas, La Tech, Southern Mississippi, Mississippi State, Ole Miss because the Hogs didn't want them? Guess what, those kids probably graduated and stayed in those states. Could be we have been chasing talent away this entire time and congratulating ourselves for doing it.

Something to think about.

Hoggam's Razor

Quote from: abq on December 21, 2005, 12:27:47 am
I think the question is, how many two stars from Magnolia go out of state because the Hogs aren't interested? If they have another viable instate alternative I think that is a plus. Keep those kids in Arkansas where they will most likely stay and raise more good recruits. It would make Arkansas high school football better and the rising tide would raise all ships, so to speak. Hey, maybe we would have been better off playing ASU since 20 years ago. How many decent to good high school players have we lost to the likes of Oklahoma State, North Texas, La Tech, Southern Mississippi, Mississippi State, Ole Miss because the Hogs didn't want them? Guess what, those kids probably graduated and stayed in those states. Could be we have been chasing talent away this entire time and congratulating ourselves for doing it.

...good point.  I haven't looked at it from that angle.  How many ex-college football players end up as coaches, dads raising football players, etc.?
I guess keeping football players in the state would be beneficial.

I do still think we don't need to compete for any recruits with any team in Arkansas though.

HawgWyld

Quote from: phitauhog on December 21, 2005, 12:18:18 am
PS..I'll bet I can name more small Arkansas towns than you.:)

Wanna bet? :)

And, again, that's fine. Having another in-state school to brawl with for recruits will, I believe, be helpful on down the road. If ASU is lucky enough to have gone to seven bowl games in 10 years, than Arkansas had damn well better be able to show the Razorbacks had been to eight bowl games in 10 years. Without the fear of losing recruits determined to stay in-state to another school, where's the motivation to come up with some whiz-bang tactics to keep those players? The Razorbacks are absolutely terrible at recruiting as it's a very real possibility those great players from Springdale will head elsewhere. That bunch in Fayettevile could use some competition (God, I love saying that now that I'm an alum and don't live up there way anymore) as the product they're putting on the field right now stinks to high Heaven.

HawgWyld

Quote from: abq on December 21, 2005, 12:27:47 am

Damn good point! In purely economic terms, under your scenario taxpayers in Arkansas get to shell out some cash to educate someone until he's 18-years-old only to have him head to another state. Not a very efficient investment at all.

CiriusPorker

Stop it!  Everyone of you.  So many doomsdayers out there.  ASU will not be able to compete with Arkansas in recruiting.  Sure, look ten years down the road, Asu gets a 2-star here, a 3 star there...so what! Nutt won't be here after next year..and you guys are throwing in the towel for recruiting against ASU?  Get real....  If all this Nutt Out, Davis In Hype comes true, the "recruiting momentum" will swing heavily in Arkansas' favor in the SEC, much more the state of Arkansas....ASU's one bowl appearance in 35 years is NOT Arkansas demise....nor does it guarantee long term success for them.  But we don't even play them, so who cares?  Look at their opponent...Southern Mississippi.  What a joke!  At least Arkansas had respectable competition when we went to our last bowl.  In fact, most of our bowls have had respectable competition.

Oklahoma
Texas
Michigan
Missouri
Minnesota
Do I need to name more?

How does So. Miss compare to these teams?  they don't.  So get off of this recruiting B.S.  Sure it's in the canner this year, even more if we lose Mitch!  But don't believe for a second that Gus can't turn it around and have the following years much better. 

so, to all of you worried about competing with ASU for recruits, i say ..."CHILL"

ejay286

I dont know who you think you are fooling but Southern Miss is not some roody poo team.  If they had played you this year it would have been a very good game and definitely not an automatic win for the razorbacks.  They had some bad breaks this year in their games but they are a very good team, look at how they played Alabama this year. You are probly right that ASU wont be stealing many of the UofAs recruits any time soon but the competition ASU played in the New Orleans was no joke.

abq

Quote from: CiriusPorker on December 21, 2005, 12:58:09 am
Sure it's in the canner this year, even more if we lose Mitch! But don't believe for a second that Gus can't turn it around and have the following years much better.

Those two sentences define some Hog fans more than anything else might. They fly in the face of logic. They are the Japanese kid on the mountaintop giving the Enola Gay the finger. Unlike many people, I fully believe Malzahn can coach at the D1 level. I don't, however, feel he can save a program determined to sink itself, in a state caught up in the glory of yesteryear doing the same things that were successful 40 years ago.

You're gonna have to think this one through a little more.

rlamb

Funny some of you pick on ASU when they're up a little. I don't think they're the worst bowl team
ever in a bowl as I believe that distinction belongs to our HOG 2000 Las Vegas Bowl team that the finger-nail chompin one took to Las Vegas. Reasons for this could have something to do with,

1. players partied all night
2. not scrimmage hard, or at all
3. literally give up in the 2nd half
4. also ran out of gas in 2nd half because of too much disapation during bowl (lac of) preeration
5. out of shape for the bowl
6. to me as big of an embarrasement as USC this year

In fact I think if we had had Steve Roberts as HC this year we would have won more than 4 games!

Especially Jeff Bauer, I think he would have had us at 7 wins. SO ANY OTHER COACH BUTT NUTT!
WILL DO, BUT I WOULD RATHER HAVE BUTCH!

xkyrie

I can't believe all the jealous posters out there in internetlandia.

ASU did enough to go, and they deserve some respect.

slaughts3

i am a hog fan first and a mild tribe fan.  I keep up with how the tribe is doing.  Last night those kids played there hearts out.  Even with all the adversity that was given to them by all the media.  Everybody predicted a blowout, and the score doesnt do justice to how the tribe played.  Everybody dismissed the tribe because there from the sun belt and not from Cusa.  No matter if you like the tribe or not you still have to give them respect because they played there hearts out.