Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shining Example from Today's Jonesboro Sun

Started by HogCzar1, September 14, 2008, 05:00:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogCzar1

This morning's Jonesboro Sun Sports Page offers a real glimpse into the mindset of ASU. The title of the story is "Missed Opportunity" by Sun Sports Writer Matthew V. Roberson.
The first three paragraphs are as follows.
    Arkansas State missed more than an opportunity on the football field.
    With attention from across the state shifting focus and building momentum, Arkansas State made a couple of costly mistakes and Southern Mississippi capitalized to hand the Red Wolves a 27-24 defeat before an announced crowd of 25,938 Saturday night at ASU Stadium.
   In its effort to gain further respect as the smaller BCS school in an already small state, ASU (2-1) couldn't overcome a pair of second half turnovers to lose for the first time this season.

So there you have it. The most important aspect of this game was not that ASU could have started 3-0. It also was not that ASU could have helped itself with potential bowl opportunities with a win. It also was not that they could have gained momentum heading into conference play. No, instead, it was the inability somehow to steal momentum away from the Hogs. (whatever that means) Once again, a shining example of the fact that no matter what happens at ASU, their entire sense of being is dependent on how they relate to the Razorbacks.
  Matt, I also would probably do a little checking on the fact you assert ASU to be a BCS school as well.

neahog

"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." -Winston Churchill

Rooka

Wow...You read way to far into things...even if this is what this guy meant...its one person...one article...

Immensehog

Life is short.  Act accordingly.

Feralhog

Quote from: Immensehog on September 14, 2008, 05:24:33 pm
And why do we care about this??

The reason I would assume he cared is because most Arkansas fans root for ASU too.  That's how I use to be until I discovered their deep hatred and jealousy of the University of Arkansas.  All it took for me to start hating ASU was a  trip to the tribal grounds message board. 
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

hoghearted

Quote from: Feralhog on September 14, 2008, 05:36:18 pm
The reason I would assume he cared is because most Arkansas fans root for ASU too.  That's how I use to be until I discovered their deep hatred and jealousy of the University of Arkansas. All it took for me to start hating ASU was a  trip to the tribal grounds message board. 

I stay away from those kinds of places for those exact reasons.

There are dumb posters everywhere.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Hawgvillain

HogCzar1

I started the thread to simply allow many of you who are not in Northeast Arkansas to learn what was written by the ASU beat reporter as the main game article in today's Sun. Not as a poster's opinion, but rather written factual info.
  For the record, I am not at all supporter of ASU. Far from it. Very far from it.    I was simply surprised (I shouldn't have been) that the very lead paragraphs had a UA comparison component to it, rather than about the actual game itself.

donewithdale

Quote from: HogCzar1 on September 14, 2008, 06:05:22 pm
I started the thread to simply allow many of you who are not in Northeast Arkansas to learn what was written by the ASU beat reporter as the main game article in today's Sun. Not as a poster's opinion, but rather written factual info.
  For the record, I am not at all supporter of ASU. Far from it. Very far from it.    I was simply surprised (I shouldn't have been) that the very lead paragraphs had a UA comparison component to it, rather than about the actual game itself.

Should be expected.  At their one bowl appearance, they were more focused on the Hogs than they were their own achievement. 
Quote from: Death by Hog on September 14, 2008, 05:05:50 pm
Wow...You read way to far into things...even if this is what this guy meant...its one person...one article...

Its actually the norm for that little faction of ASU people. 

Immensehog

The reason I would assume he cared is because most Arkansas fans root for ASU too.  That's how I use to be until I discovered their deep hatred and jealousy of the University of Arkansas.  All it took for me to start hating ASU was a  trip to the tribal grounds message board. 

I understand their need to be recognized, they just need to understand:  It's not the same thing.

Hog fans will not be converted into Red Wolf fans.  Just won't happen.

saturnthegiant

And just why do you care then?  Some of us support ASU, why don't you focus on the Hogs if you don't support ASU and just leave them out of it?  Are you so scared of another state team having a little success?

hogvan

I'm from Northeast Arkansas and live there now.  HogCzar is right on the money.  If you don't live here, you don't really understand their comments and their hatred.  We have friends and family that HATE the Hogs because they are for ASU.  I graduated from U of A, met my spouse there and we stayed 10 years in Northwest Arkansas.  When we moved back, I didn't hate ASU; in fact my brother was an assistant Dean there, I didn't wish anything bad on them.  It didn't take me long to figure out this side of the state didn't have 2 teams, just one.  You either love the hogs or hate them.  The TV stations, newspapers, and radio stations will make you sick.  We played J'boro High Friday night and saw a Southern Miss. fans vehicle, we waved and wished them luck.  They had to see the Hog on my license plate and U of A stickers.  It is a different world over here.  They don't wish anything good for our Hogs!

Immensehog

Quote from: saturnthegiant on September 14, 2008, 06:20:27 pm
And just why do you care then?  Some of us support ASU, why don't you focus on the Hogs if you don't support ASU and just leave them out of it?  Are you so scared of another state team having a little success?

I guess the only argument I could make is: THIS IS A HOG BOARD.  PERIOD.

PigPusher

Quote from: Immensehog on September 14, 2008, 05:24:33 pm
And why do we care about this??

We are all Arkansas citizens.  Accordingly, I will continue to pull for all schools in the State until, of course, until we play any of them.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Immensehog

Quote from: PigPusher on September 14, 2008, 06:26:01 pm
We are all Arkansas citizens.  Accordingly, I will continue to pull for all schools in the State until, of course, until we play any of them.

Great.

Just don't bring their inferiority complex over here.

Hihog

They darn in their den Sat night, had they won, it looks like from their schedule they could have easily have been 8 and 0, going into Ala game, and any kind of good show against Ala on the road, then their knock on our door would be loud, now it's nonexistent. 

razorbak

It took a few years of living in NEArk., after growing up in NWArk., to go from wishing them well to despising them. And it was ASU fans that did it. Many of these would rather see Ark. lose than ASU win.
"If I could rest anywhere it would be in Arkansaw where the men are of the real half-horse, half-alligator breed such as grow nowhere else on the face of the universal earth." [Davy Crockett 1834]

"If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision." [Major General Patrick Cleburne, Confederate Civil War hero from Arkansas]

The Confederacy had no better soldiers than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond prudence. [Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.]

RZRBack_FAN

I hope they lose every single game jus for the simple fact that they wine and cry more than any fan base ive ever seen.

ASU will never be nothing more than a second rate program. I actually thinl UCA is the second best team in the state. Thisis Arkansas and people love the hogs not the Red Indians or whatever they call themesleves these days.

elksnort

Yeah, this is the way to judge the whole fanhood.

The Marmot

Quote from: hogvan on September 14, 2008, 06:20:54 pm
I'm from Northeast Arkansas and live there now.  HogCzar is right on the money.  If you don't live here, you don't really understand their comments and their hatred.  We have friends and family that HATE the Hogs because they are for ASU.  I graduated from U of A, met my spouse there and we stayed 10 years in Northwest Arkansas.  When we moved back, I didn't hate ASU; in fact my brother was an assistant Dean there, I didn't wish anything bad on them.  It didn't take me long to figure out this side of the state didn't have 2 teams, just one.  You either love the hogs or hate them.  The TV stations, newspapers, and radio stations will make you sick.  We played J'boro High Friday night and saw a Southern Miss. fans vehicle, we waved and wished them luck.  They had to see the Hog on my license plate and U of A stickers.  It is a different world over here.  They don't wish anything good for our Hogs!

So why do they hate the UA/Hogs? I could understand indifference, but hate?
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

elksnort

For the record my friends, Matt Roberson likes the Razorbacks also.

He just wrote that ASU lost an opportunity to gain some cred.

His brother told me that he is a Razorback fan.

Sivad

They lost to Mississippi Southern at home.
That ought to quell their public rants about how they are the "best team in the state" and for a brief time stop their religious-like crusade to force a game with the team they hate with a burning passion, the Razorbacks.

Ugly Uncle

I used to be a huge ASU fan.  Until I lived there.  All they did was bash the hogs and the sports guy from region 8 would smirk when he was talking about the hogs losing.  When we won it got very little coverage. 

I don't hate them now, but I am very disinterested either way.

Had friends there, took classes from there, had friends that played football there.  Don't care.  Don't care.
Retired Radio Host

Hawgndaaz

I was in Jonesboro a few years ago for the state flag football tournament. It was the saturday of a Little Rock game, i believe against MSU.

The game was to be televised on one of those ESPNU/FSN type networks and we were staying at a hotel that didn't get the channel. We went to 2 different restaurants and both refused to change just ONE  tv to the Hogs game, and actaully laughed when we left.

At this point in my life I began my lack of care for the asu program.

chiefsfan

Quote from: hogvan on September 14, 2008, 06:20:54 pm

Good Lord some of you people are dense

ASU doesnt like Arkansas.  Whats the friggin big deal about it.   There is no law that says everyone in the state has to like Arkansas.   Why some people worry so much about a sun belt school not liking them is beyond my understanding

It would actually be better for this state of Arkansas fans hated ASU just as much.   Because if you guys did, then we wouldnt have to deal with idiotic threads like this.   Texas fans hate Arkansas too, but I dont see anyone else here whining about it on a daily basis

Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

BigD

Quote from: HogCzar1 on September 14, 2008, 05:00:05 pm
This morning's Jonesboro Sun Sports Page offers a real glimpse into the mindset of ASU. The title of the story is "Missed Opportunity" by Sun Sports Writer Matthew V. Roberson.
    With attention from across the state shifting focus and building momentum, Arkansas State made a couple of costly mistakes and Southern Mississippi capitalized to hand the Red Wolves a 27-24 defeat before an announced crowd of 25,938 Saturday night at ASU Stadium.
   In its effort to gain further respect as the smaller BCS school in an already small state, ASU (2-1) couldn't overcome a pair of second half turnovers to lose for the first time this season.

So there you have it. The most important aspect of this game was not that ASU could have started 3-0. It also was not that ASU could have helped itself with potential bowl opportunities with a win. It also was not that they could have gained momentum heading into conference play. No, instead, it was the inability somehow to steal momentum away from the Hogs. (whatever that means) Once again, a shining example of the fact that no matter what happens at ASU, their entire sense of being is dependent on how they relate to the Razorbacks.
  Matt, I also would probably do a little checking on the fact you assert ASU to be a BCS school as well.

Just so you will be informed the writer of this article isn't an ASU fan just a reporter that happens to be a huge fan of Arkansas.

BigD

Quote from: uglyuncle on September 14, 2008, 08:40:31 pm
I used to be a huge ASU fan.  Until I lived there.  All they did was bash the hogs and the sports guy from region 8 would smirk when he was talking about the hogs losing.  When we won it got very little coverage. 

I don't hate them now, but I am very disinterested either way.

Had friends there, took classes from there, had friends that played football there.  Don't care.  Don't care.
I don't know how long it has been since you lived here but, the present sportscaster has an orgasm over the hogs and the only one that I can remember that really loved the then Indians and couldn't stand the hogs was Dicky Clay and he's been retired for probably 10 years .

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: BigD on September 14, 2008, 09:07:45 pm
  I don't know how long it has been since you lived here but, the present sportscaster has an orgasm over the hogs and the only one that I can remember that really loved the then Indians and couldn't stand the hogs was Dicky Clay and he's been retired for probably 10 years .

LOL...yep, he is the one.  I left there in 90.

Dick Clay with sports, Terry Wood with weather.  Both of them seemed to be wrong ALL the time.
Retired Radio Host

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: BigD on September 14, 2008, 09:07:45 pm

Oh, and plus one for reminding me of his name.

Wanted to be your first plus karma.
Retired Radio Host

chiefsfan

Quote from: uglyuncle on September 14, 2008, 09:11:12 pm
LOL...yep, he is the one.  I left there in 90.

Dick Clay with sports, Terry Wood with weather.  Both of them seemed to be wrong ALL the time.

Its KAIT.   Ive seen better television production at the high school level

This is the same network that once cancelled its sports segment because the stations manager thought no one cared about sports
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

jabohog

September 14, 2008, 09:37:00 pm #30 Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 09:38:34 pm by jabohog
Quote from: chiefsfan on September 14, 2008, 09:13:59 pm
Its KAIT.   Ive seen better television production at the high school level

This is the same network that once cancelled its sports segment because the stations manager thought no one cared about sports
Hey goober, just wanted to remind you that unless you are a Kansas City NFL fan, the politically correct has made y'all change your names. No Indian talk allowed, must be, what red foxes, red herrings, what is the name change that was rammed down y'alls throats? Oh yeah, red wolves. You need to update your handle for the purposes of political correctness. And by the way, nice season the red......, oh yeah, red wolves are having so far.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: uglyuncle on September 14, 2008, 09:12:07 pm
Oh, and plus one for reminding me of his name.

Wanted to be your first plus karma.

And +1 to you Uglyuncle...because this was your 5000th post. (I bet you'd rather have a toaster.)
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Kicking Wing

I thought this was the reasonable Hog board.  Guess not.  You think all So. Miss fans like Ole Miss?  Think La.Tech fans like LSU?  Relax and get over it.

chiefsfan

Quote from: jabohog on September 14, 2008, 09:37:00 pm
Hey goober, just wanted to remind you that unless you are a Kansas City NFL fan,

ding ding ding

chiefsfan

Quote from: jabohog on September 14, 2008, 09:37:00 pm
Hey goober, just wanted to remind you that unless you are a Kansas City NFL fan, the politically correct has made y'all change your names. No Indian talk allowed, must be, what red foxes, red herrings, what is the name change that was rammed down y'alls throats? Oh yeah, red wolves. You need to update your handle for the purposes of political correctness. And by the way, nice season the red......, oh yeah, red wolves are having so far.

and did you really use the word "goober" on a message board?

jabohog

Quote from: chiefsfan on September 14, 2008, 09:50:01 pm
and did you really use the word "goober" on a message board?
Yes, sorry, my bad!!!!

HatfieldHog

I am 15 miles from Jonesboro now, and I bet that I've heard the cry to play the Razorback 100 times this year.  I keep telling them that there is no legitimate way for the U of A to gain from playing ASU. 

I tell them when they can actually dominate the Sun Belt, then we can entertain their request.

Believe me,  ASU has a real problem with the U of A.  The writer is correct, ASU measures itself by the question of whether they could compete with the U of A.

Sad, truly Sad

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

Devil_Dog

Why cant we all just chear for each other???

go hogs, red wolves, bears, golden tigers, wonderboys, and all the other colleges in arkansas

Brownie Tuggle

Quote from: HogCzar1 on September 14, 2008, 05:00:05 pm

Well when there's only one School in the State that the rest of the schools would like to be like, You cant blame ASU. Do they want to become OBU? No they want to be on ESPN and play like 5 to 6 games a year on TV. Like who else? The Hogs of course!!!!!  It's time for ASU to get bigger than life and walk with the "BIG STICK"!!

aaaactionvp

Quote from: Devil_Dog on September 15, 2008, 03:12:17 am
Why cant we all just chear for each other???

go hogs, red wolves, bears, golden tigers, wonderboys, and all the other colleges in arkansas
Thats a nice thought, but it is never going to happen.  SOME ASU fans are very disrespectful and hateful towards the hogs and the fans.  There is no reason to play that team or help them in any way.

Big Dog

Every time the Hogs suck ASU wants a piece of the Hogs and this year is no different. They won't want to play the Hogs once Petrino gets the players that he needs, so who cares what they think.

Bacons Rebellion

You folks should not hate ASU folks. Some day you may need employees.

The Boar War

Quote from: chiefsfan on September 14, 2008, 09:03:03 pm

Good Lord some of you people are dense

ASU doesnt like Arkansas.  Whats the friggin big deal about it.   There is no law that says everyone in the state has to like Arkansas.   Why some people worry so much about a sun belt school not liking them is beyond my understanding

It would actually be better for this state of Arkansas fans hated ASU just as much.   Because if you guys did, then we wouldnt have to deal with idiotic threads like this.   Texas fans hate Arkansas too, but I dont see anyone else here whining about it on a daily basis

I don't think people care that some ASU fans don't like Arkansas.  It's just like in high school when you found out that weird kid (who you've never talked to or seen outside of class) hates you.

DeltaBoy

I pull for all our states college teams regardless of their level of play.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Tusks

Don't you guys remember a few years ago when some national chain restaurant....nothing good I'm sure...probably an Applebees....opened and had Hog stuff AND ASU stuff hanging in the restaurant.

ASU fans wrote and bugged the corporate office and made them take the hogs stuff down.

Not the restaurant but the corporate office.  Now we can make all kinds of jokes about ASU fans knowing what a corporate office is....but that's for a later thread.

They love to hate the hogs.  This coming from someone born in Memphis...moved to Jonbur and went all through school there....graduated from JHS and had 9 friends sign football and basketball schollys with ASU.

I got to hell out and moved to Fay. for college and stayed for many years after school.

Funny I live in the ATL now and when I think of going home I think of Fay, not J'boro.

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

RazorWolf

:razorback: :razorback:

I read the article.....it was obviousy slanted.  Why would anyone waste their time worrying about ASU credabilty issues in athletics?  You guys say they moan and groan about the Hogs....not one time in the history of athletics at ASU have they
had the respect the Hogs have enjoyed nationally for many decades.

Support sports in ARKANSAS......not just one "team".  I'm proud of all the small colleges in our state, and am proud to say I'm from Arkansas.  All of you should be proud ASU went into Aggieland and won a hard ballgame for them.  I believe in UCA athletics and right across the board support all these schools. 

Remember this is just a forum for discussion......love the effort, love the games and respect the young people playing for these schools! 

Houston Hog/Wolf/Bear  etc.       

MNHogFan

I am a grad of ASU, two daughters and a son-in-law are grads of the U of A. I live in Jonesboro and no way will I attend any event at ASU. When the crowd boo's when a U of A score is announced and the Hogs are winning and the crowd cheers when the Hogs are losing is no place for me.

chiefsfan

Quote from: MNHogFan on September 15, 2008, 09:37:19 am
I am a grad of ASU, two daughters and a son-in-law are grads of the U of A. I live in Jonesboro and no way will I attend any event at ASU. When the crowd boo's when a U of A score is announced and the Hogs are winning and the crowd cheers when the Hogs are losing is no place for me.

So let me get this straight.  Alot of D1 schools in the country are no place for you then.  Because if you think ASU fans are the only ones who get complete joy out of Arkansas losses, then you have a rude awakening coming

Welcome to college football.  If its not your team, youre not supposed to like them

The Great Hambino

Bleh. Its ASU. I was born in Jonesboro and grew up there. I still went to Fayetteville for undergrad, and have since never made it back to NEA for extended periods of time. ASU sucks. My brother went there, and so did most of my friends from high school. I'll cheer for them so long as we aren't playing them. However, I'll allow their fans to hate the hogs. Maybe if they get good it we can play them and beat the pants off of them year after year, and have a real rivalry with a team, as opposed to a "made-up" one with LSU and a "been-dead-for-twenty-years" one with Texas. You people who are pissed they hate us.... who cares? Arizona fans hate Arizona State. Mississippi fans hate Miss. State. Auburn fans hate Alabama. Clemson fans hate South Carolina. And vice versa for all of those. It is the natural way in the kingdom of fandom. Personally, I don't think ASU is worth my time to hate. They just aren't good, nor a threat to the hog way of life.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: chiefsfan on September 15, 2008, 09:43:36 am
So let me get this straight.  Alot of D1 schools in the country are no place for you then.  Because if you think ASU fans are the only ones who get complete joy out of Arkansas losses, then you have a rude awakening coming

Welcome to college football.  If its not your team, youre not supposed to like them

Then don't get upset when people point out that ASU is nothing more than the neighborhood brat.  They are not my team, I'm not suppose to like them.

Besides, it won't be long until UCA is the number 2 school in the state.  So, I think this will be a dead argument in a few years.
Retired Radio Host