Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How would you feel if Richardson coached ASU?

Started by VoR, March 04, 2008, 03:26:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

I. M. Wolf

I haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if I've repeated something posted.  BUT... Nolan was in Jonesboro yesterday.  The Local press followed him from the airport to the Convo to who knows where.  We thought they would make an announcement yesterday but apparently everything still has to be approved by the muckity mucks so it will be at least Monday before any announcements. 

One of the reasons I've heard that Nolan wants the ASU job is that if he can get 5 more years as a State of Arkansas employee he can get his Arkansas retirement... which by the way will be based on his U of A salary.  Kind of makes you a little nervous about what the next 5 to 6 years could be like at ASU.  To win or retire???? That's the big question I have as an ASU fan.  I'd renew season tickets though as would many other ASU fans. 

Oh well, here's hoping for "40 Minutes of Howl!!!" I know but the shirts are already printed.

Here's to the State of Arkansas athletic programs in 08...SALUTE!!!!

Throwback1

no...state retirement is based on your average salary over the last 5 years of state employment
"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

Kevin Bacon

Quote from: Throwback1 on March 07, 2008, 11:56:03 am
no...state retirement is based on your average salary over the last 5 years of state employment

Except for Highway Dept.  We are average of highest 36 consecutive months.  I don't know about any of the other independents like Game and Fish.

I have one friend that just entered the DROP plan (technically retired but will work for about 5 or more years) and his highest 36 months occurred a couple of years ago when all the bond work was going on and he was getting OT out the arse.

Hoggish1

March 07, 2008, 12:34:15 pm #104 Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 01:26:40 pm by Hoggish1
I have no problem with it.  He was houded by Boyles for years and finally had enough.  If FB wanted to fire Nolan, he should have done it himself.  Instead Broyles made White do it as a pay back for having tried to fire FB several years earlier.  The two are now history, but think of the messes we could have avoided with competent leadership.  Did we really have to put up with Houston Nutt for so long?

Dropkick

Hoggish1

Quote from: Robby H on March 04, 2008, 07:03:32 pm
   This afternoon I was talking to one of my buddies about the game tonight, and how I hope we win cause we sure do need it, blah, blah, blah, and he comes back with "There's still a part of me that wants to see the U of A struggle in Basketball, I just couldn't stand Nolan Richardson!"
    We talked a while about it and the thing that struck me the most about it is that there are still some people walking around in our fair state who still don't get it. Yeah sure, Nolan was a windbag and spoke out of turn all the time, but it seams that people forget too quickly that the man won the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP one year and got us back to the finals the next year! Has this been done at the University in any MAJOR sport in the last 50 years?!? Not to mention the fact that much of his gripes that seemed so over the top at the time, now look like a rational explanation of things in light of all that has happened on the hill in the last 2 football seasons. Of course there was a double standard, or course there was two sets of rules- one for Nolan/Stan and one for Nutt and the boys, but yet there are still some out there who can't let it go. I for one, found myself doing something today that 13 years ago I would have never dreamt I would be doing, defending Nolan to a fellow Hog Fan.
   By the way, anybody want to bet that there won't be any smart rational fan defending Nutt's tenure in 13 years?   

Good post, especially about the double standard FB was all about.

Hoggish1

Quote from: wayne1958 on March 05, 2008, 09:17:48 pm
Didn't need to.  That's why we paid him all these years.  You keep thinking that Paw Paw, keep in mind where he was raised, was not a racist.  LMAO!  And we kept a goober named Nutt all those years.  Nolan hit the nail on the head.

Good job Wayne!  Keep telling like it is.  Nolan's demise was not because he all of a sudden wanted to coach pooly and stop recruiting.

Hoggish1

Quote from: hillhog on March 05, 2008, 09:27:36 pm
Whomever ASU wants to hire so be it, I just don't understand them being in a hurry to hire someone they can't fire.

Uh, the UA did fire Nolan.  So what are you talking about?  And ultimately the UA fired FB, HN and JW. 

Hoggish1

March 07, 2008, 01:21:39 pm #109 Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 01:28:22 pm by Hoggish1
Quote from: Fun_Hoggin on March 05, 2008, 11:48:36 pm
loser coach for a loser program

I'm thinkin' if Nolan takes that job they won't be a loser very long.  And Nolan was never a loser.  If you take a mid major job at 66, you are not planning to coast to retirement.  That is a fact, especially if a part of the gate is structured into your contract.  By the way, that kind of incentivized thinking on ASU's part is brilliant!

lyon98

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 07, 2008, 01:21:39 pm
I'm thinkin' if Nolan takes that job they won't be a loser very long.  And Nolan was never a loser.  If you take a mid major job at 66, you are not planning to coast to retirement.  That is a fact, especially if a part of the gate is structured into your contract.  By the way, that kind of incentivized thinking on ASU's part is brilliant!

I don't know if you can call Nolan a loser but he certainly let the Hog basketball team fall into that catagory when he started selecting instead of recruiting. What would be the proper name for what happened be, lazy, pissed off so he didn't care about his program, living on past glory, self-satisfied, not interested in giving a day's work for a day's pay, most of those would fall into the loser catagory or what? I would think any of those would be considered baggage. I expect him to do well at asu and they will fill the seats. I would like to see his team's play. Hopefully those days are gone for ever for him and the Hogs.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

Throwback1

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 07, 2008, 12:34:15 pm
I have no problem with it.  He was houded by Boyles for years and finally had enough.  If FB wanted to fire Nolan, he should have done it himself.  Instead Broyles made White do it as a pay back for having tried to fire FB several years earlier.  The two are now history, but think of the messes we could have avoided with competent leadership.  Did we really have to put up with Houston Nutt for so long?
Hounded and paid more than any coach in Razorback history...riiiight...Somebody, please hound me!
"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

ditka

I would love it!

Especially the possibility of ASU-UA home and home games.  Broyles wouldn't do them, but with him gone....

Bigfoot

I hope Nolan has some more success somewhere. If thats ASU, Then so be it.

Throwback1

It would be a plus for Nolan and ASU...get her done.

Hog1952

I'm a razorback I could care less. For me he will always be remembered for sueing the UofA and  trying to bring it down,basketball and football. Nolan thought he was going to be the next AD and got mad when he realized he wouldn't.

cluelessgdog

On the retirement issue  I thinks its the highest 36 consecutive months within a 10 year period!

Luke Duke

Hired in 1985 when there were hardly any black coaches in college basketball.  Was the first black coach in SWC history.  Held that job for 17 years.  One of the highest paid coaches in the NCAA at the time.

The man who gave him those chances was not racist.

It would've been sooooooo easy to hire a white coach in 1985.
I remember I caught tons of hell on this board for saying Peterson was faster than McFadden.  That's one reason I was looking forward to the combine.  If McFadden ran a legit 4.28, you bet he'd be there.

-NWASooner

Justifiable Hogicide

Not sure that Nolan is going to be able to get even that job, despite how hard he is trying.

Kevin Bacon

Quote from: cluelessgdog on March 07, 2008, 07:56:01 pm
On the retirement issue  I thinks its the highest 36 consecutive months within a 10 year period!

I cannot speak for the entire State of Arkansas retirement system but I did go to our (AHTD) DROP Plan meeting just a few months ago.  For us it does not matter when the highest consecutive 36 months occurred as long as they were consecutive.  The thought process being that since we get COLA's every July it stands to reason that the previous 36 month's would be the highest.  The AHTD is a separate entity within the State of Arkansas and is usually not considered when referring to government operations of the State of Arkansas.  Weird deal for sure but the retirement system is awesome!  The Teachers system and others have been trying to become a part of our system for some time now.

lilpiglove

It would be great for ASU and I hope the Hogs play them and may the best team win

Hogsnort

March 08, 2008, 08:37:27 am #121 Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 09:13:05 am by Hogsnort
Quote from: wayne1958 on March 05, 2008, 09:20:07 pm
And I guess you think everything in our court system is just and right.

+1 Nolan was right! He shed a lot of light on the truth regarding some major problems within the U of A athletic dept. What could be better? In light of that, he did win and we all did in my opinion....just not in court. So what? Money, opinions, and civil courts will never prevail over truth.

Hogsnort

March 08, 2008, 09:12:10 am #122 Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 09:17:59 am by Hogsnort
Quote from: Hogsnort on March 08, 2008, 08:37:27 am
+1 Nolan was right! He shed a lot of light on the truth regarding some major problems within the U of A athletic dept. What could be better? In light of that, he did win and we all did in my opinion....just not in court. So what? Money, opinions, and civil courts will never prevail over truth.

......and now our athletic programs aren't under the same handicap as before!

Hogsnort

March 08, 2008, 09:14:28 am #123 Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 09:20:39 am by Hogsnort
......and Nolan would be a great hire for ASU.

Col.Mccoy

He will make
Quote from: Throwback1 on March 04, 2008, 07:13:33 pm
I'm not afraid of Nolan or ASU...he will make ASU better, little doubt about that...if Nolan and ASU make it work, fine with me.

Agree, The job at Missouri State is open. If they would take a chance with Nolan i believe he could do some damage in the Valley conference.
We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union. - Lone Watie

Fun_Hoggin

grayhawg

Throwback1

Quote from: Luke Duke on March 07, 2008, 08:23:58 pm
Hired in 1985 when there were hardly any black coaches in college basketball.  Was the first black coach in SWC history.  Held that job for 17 years.  One of the highest paid coaches in the NCAA at the time.

The man who gave him those chances was not racist.

It would've been sooooooo easy to hire a white coach in 1985.
exactly

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 07, 2008, 01:21:39 pm
If you take a mid major job at 66, you are not planning to coast to retirement.  That is a fact, especially if a part of the gate is structured into your contract.

Yeah, no one has ever done this.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=kreidler_mark&id=3204906
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?