Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas State's New Mascot

Started by The_Hill, January 27, 2008, 12:46:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FG560

They should be called the hoot owls,then everybody could chant ASU whooo ASU whooo!!!!

chiefsfan

Quote from: Natedog39 on January 27, 2008, 03:39:53 pm
The ASU Red Wolves seems to be the best choice of the three, but I think they are all ridiculous.  Is that the best the ASU big whigs could come up with? 

The decision is being made with the help of a National  Marketing firm sadly
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

PorcineSublime

Red Wolves is pretty cool. I like the idea of the red eyes on the helmet too. Kind of like the Tiger eyes at the 50 on LSU's field.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

I BLEED RBack RED

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 27, 2008, 01:44:56 pm
I'm pissed they didn't go with my suggestion.

The Wanna Bees.

I even submitted ideas for a logo and cheerleader outfits.

That is classic!...+1
The 3 things I can't live without are family, my razorbacks, and beer (not in any particular order).

L.A.

Quote from: trav1021 on January 27, 2008, 02:47:32 pm
I'm so tired of the PC movement in America today.  I will say though I like the Ridge Runners name a little better than all of the rest just because of the area and Crowley's Ridge. 

Went through this same situation when I was in school at ULM.  Luckily I thought that we came out with a pretty cool sounding mascot.  I heard that what this all really comes down to is money and smaller schools such as ASU and ULM just don't have enough to pay off certain people to keep their mascots.  I find it unbelievable that a school cannot keep the mascot Indians but a professional team can have the mascot Redskins.  That is a blatantly racist word but no one seems to be forcing them to change.

preach33

Quote from: The_Hill on January 27, 2008, 12:46:22 pm
After sifting through 700 submissions by students they have narrowed it to three...
Arkansas State Express Train (no joke)
Arkansas State Ridgerunners
Arkansas State Red Wolves

Maybe one day the "express train" can make a stop in faytown...

The ridge runners is not that far-fetched - with Croweys ridge beign the geographical significance

What would the mascot look like.

I submitted a name to the search team - Thrashers - this is in keeping with the Agri history ASU has.

cowboy_hawg

If they can't play Indians anymore my #1 mascot would have been Cowboys,,,,  Arkansas State Cowboys.  I always liked the ring of that, they could put almost anything on the helmets.
cowboy_hawg

bao187

Quote from: cowboy_hawg on January 27, 2008, 04:34:06 pm
If they can't play Indians anymore my #1 mascot would have been Cowboys,,,,  Arkansas State Cowboys.  I always liked the ring of that, they could put almost anything on the helmets.

or they could call themselves the chokers, sorry i couldn't resist, at least your team has made the playoffs in the past 5 years, niners fan here
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Fisticuffs

I like Cowboys. But I can't see cowboys in scarlett and black. I like red wolves. Watch out for the Pack!

Wash Hogwallop

I have to admit I expected a little more than what they have narrowed it down to.

Perhaps I gave them to much credit.

Nuttcutter

I think they should name themselves the "Red Whine."

4thdownnutt

jep_hog_fan

Quote from: bao187 on January 27, 2008, 02:05:22 pm
how many Buccaneers have you seen in Tampa, or How many Tigers have you seen in Missouri a team does not hav to be named based off its location and surrounding Titans in Tennessee

Well, a buccanees is a pirate. There were several pirates in the bay  long ago.

MNHogFan

Cheerleaders could always say they were game to pull a train.  lol

tiber

rant

This whole deal is *** idiotic. 

I have a sliver of American Indian in me, and I thoroughly denounce the idiots who have nothing better to do than take issue with ASU's mascot. 
These actions will be a blip in history that people look back on and say 'wow, someone was touchy'. 

I wonder how New Zealand's All-Blacks team would do here in that-might-offend-me land. 

/rant

hawgnutts

i submitted skeeters plenty of those up there    opposing team walks into the stadium   bzzzzzzzz bzzzzzzz then a single hand clap  repeat

bao187

Quote from: jep_hog_fan on January 27, 2008, 05:47:30 pm

and there were many red wolves in NE Arkansas long ago
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

spiritof92

Quote from: trav1021 on January 27, 2008, 02:47:32 pm
I'm so tired of the PC movement in America today.  I will say though I like the Ridge Runners name a little better than all of the rest just because of the area and Crowley's Ridge. 
It's a matter of time before PETA comes after the Hogs.   :D

haveabeer

If peta comes after the hogs let them into Tusk's cage for a couple of hours. They won't be back.

I hate this pc crap. Half of me is from Irish ancestry. I have thought about writing the NCAA to complain about the use of Fighting Irish for Notre Dame's mascot. I don't really have a problem with it but I wanted to point out the stupitity of these decisions.

I also have American Indian ancestry and I don't have a problem with Indians, Redskins, Seminoles, or any of the others. Ok I have a problem with Redskins but that is just because I am a Dallas fan.

Justifiable Hogicide

The Arkansas State Remoras.

Trying to latch on to the big boy for a free ride.

hawgwilde

Call 'em the Red Budgets.  When they finally get their athletic budget back in the black, then they can change it again! ;)
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Proud to be a European-American since 1968!

Smokehouse

Quote from: cowboy_hawg on January 27, 2008, 04:34:06 pm

too many cowboys around, only way to go more generic is with "bulldogs" or "tigers"
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Smokehouse

Quote from: tiber on January 27, 2008, 06:35:11 pm
rant

This whole deal is *** idiotic. 

I have a sliver of American Indian in me, and I thoroughly denounce the idiots who have nothing better to do than take issue with ASU's mascot. 
These actions will be a blip in history that people look back on and say 'wow, someone was touchy'. 

I wonder how New Zealand's All-Blacks team would do here in that-might-offend-me land. 

/rant

I find it great when Native Americans speak up... in favor of indian-themed mascots. They say "actually we like it" and the NCAA says "no, you don't understand, you're actually offended. You'll thank us one day when you realize how offended you are."
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

secfan30

Quote from: haveabeer on January 27, 2008, 08:02:38 pm
If peta comes after the hogs let them into Tusk's cage for a couple of hours. They won't be back.

I hate this pc crap. Half of me is from Irish ancestry. I have thought about writing the NCAA to complain about the use of Fighting Irish for Notre Dame's mascot. I don't really have a problem with it but I wanted to point out the stupitity of these decisions.

I also have American Indian ancestry and I don't have a problem with Indians, Redskins, Seminoles, or any of the others. Ok I have a problem with Redskins but that is just because I am a Dallas fan.

+1 for the Problem with the Redskins cause you are a Cowboy Fan, too funny. My Dad is Cherokee and he actually finds the whole issue pointless and stupid. He too does not like the Redskins because he is a Cowboy fan.

oreo

How about Arkansas State Meant, I mean... State Mint... no

haveabeer

+1 to you secfan. My American Indian heritage is Cherokee as well.

secfan30

Quote from: haveabeer on January 27, 2008, 09:01:11 pm
+1 to you secfan. My American Indian heritage is Cherokee as well.

Very Nice, in fact it was my Grandfather's Grandfather that walked the Trail of Tears (Until North Central Arkansas that is) that lead me to be born in Arkansas.

ToddW

i hope the go for red wolves.  it would be good to have another program and state team that can take all of our 1 and 2 star recruits in the state.  sure as hell would hate for them to go to nuttster at ole piss!
I bleed Cardinal, Go Hogs!

Scaife

Quote from: hoghearted on January 27, 2008, 02:52:12 pm
How about they call themselves 'Off Constantly'?

Then their opponents can say "We beat ...."

So I wasn't the only one watching that West Virginia comedian on Comedy Central this weekend....

fu-man-soo

express train = engines = ark state engines, hasnt that always been their name?

meangene

January 27, 2008, 10:44:43 pm #80 Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 11:37:28 pm by meangene
The Arkansas State University Twisters- Accurate and aesthetically superior to the aforementioned possibilities. Others: Cyclones, Calvacade, Buffaloes, the Stampede, The Herd, Tribesmen, Warriors-Just a few off the top of my head.

Razorbacks are  :razorback: :razorback: a chief game species in many parts of the United States. They are found in 19 states, mainly in the southeastern United States but extending up to the northeast and in part of the Midwest. Texas has the largest population of razorbacks (referred to locally not as razorbacks, but simply as 'feral hogs' or, colloquially, as 'Piney Woods rooters') which are sometimes confused with a similar (but unrelated) species in the southwest, the javelina. Razorbacks are hunted for sport and trophy. Sometimes the hunter can become famous as did the killer of Hogzilla. Hunting of razorbacks is encouraged in many areas due to their destructive nature. They tend to shy away from human contact but can become very dangerous if they are cornered, wounded, or with young, and can injure and even kill humans and other animals.
Quote from: elksnort on January 27, 2008, 02:37:16 pm
To answer your inquiry, there are enough in the state to justify hunting them. Of course the real reason we bear this proud moniker is because of the fierce attitude of the fighting razorback.
How many actual Razorbacks are in Arkansas?\
answer: none, they are in Australia
"If a team is to reach its potential, each player must be willing to subordinate his personal goals to the good of the team."

Bud Wilkinson

dragonfan

i forgot they had a school in jonesboro

SquidBilly

What about the Arkansas State Cottonpickers?  That would be regionally appropriate.

clutch

Quote from: Scaife on January 27, 2008, 10:25:43 pm
So I wasn't the only one watching that West Virginia comedian on Comedy Central this weekend....

That guy was hillarious.

HamShank

Quote from: jep_hog_fan on January 27, 2008, 05:47:30 pm

Arkansas had red wolves, guys.  They're just now extinct other than some in captivity.

newera

i think the express train is hilarious. but would thier mascot be "the engineer" or just "choo choo ca boo boo" perhaps,

red wolves is cooler for real, but i hope they go with express train just for the sheer hilariousness of it.
I'm a diverse all sports fan... Razorbacks, Lipscomb Bisons (NCAA), Portland Timbers (MLS), Tennessee Titans, Nashville Predators, Barcelona (La Liga), Arsenal (EPL), and Sacramento Kings.

rutman

Well, if they choose Express Train,  They can bring the team on the field with Don Cornelius and his famous.
"Sooooooooouuuuuuuuulllllllllll Train".  Except it won't sound quite the same>

"Exxxxxxxpreeeeeeessssssssssss Train!!!!!"

I can hear it.  It will get ASU national expoooooossssssuuurrrrrrrre.

Lips

Too bad my suggestion, "Can't Get Right",  never made it.

cowboy_hawg

I was referring to when most all of us were kids we played 'cowboys and indians'.  If we can't play as indians anymore lets start playing as cowboys.
Quote from: Smokehouse on January 27, 2008, 08:38:58 pm
too many cowboys around, only way to go more generic is with "bulldogs" or "tigers"
cowboy_hawg

crowe6_1

what is arkansas state changing their name for?

preach33

Quote from: crowe6_1 on January 27, 2008, 11:32:26 pm
what is arkansas state changing their name for?

the NCAA and the tree hugging, tofu farting, prius driving ferrys - filed a law suit becuase the name INDIAN is offensive.

hawgfandude

Quote from: preach33 on January 27, 2008, 11:36:53 pm
the NCAA and the tree hugging, tofu farting, prius driving ferrys - filed a law suit becuase the name INDIAN is offensive.

Not to the Indians.  Most of them have stood behind their teams, like the Seminoles.

preach33

Quote from: hawgfandude on January 27, 2008, 11:43:41 pm
Not to the Indians.  Most of them have stood behind their teams, like the Seminoles.

you are correct sir - that is why this whole thing is NUTTS

Razor_rock089

Quote from: preach33 on January 27, 2008, 11:36:53 pm

You're kidding right?

Sheesh, I'd vote for the Redskins as offensive.

centarkswine

I think the name Red Wolves is cool.

preach33

In the history of ASU, have they always been the Indians?

preach33

Quote from: Razor_rock089 on January 27, 2008, 11:48:39 pm
You're kidding right?

Sheesh, I'd vote for the Redskins as offensive.

Now, you may be correct there.
But tribal names that are accurate from a historical aspect???

bao187

Quote from: preach33 on January 27, 2008, 11:54:16 pm

according to The Helmet Project it looks as if they started playing in 1966 and they only had numbers on the helmet, but in 69-79 they used a red helmet with a native american running with a tomahawk in his hands so i would say yes

WBChogfan

Quote from: preach33 on January 27, 2008, 11:55:56 pm
Now, you may be correct there.
But tribal names that are accurate from a historical aspect???

Tribal names are one thing, but the term "Indians" is another.  It's a generic term that lumps all of the tribes together under a term that is geographically inaccurate.

Think about it: isn't there a difference between The Lyon College "Scots" vs. Lyon College "White men?"

Rooka

Quote from: preach33 on January 27, 2008, 11:54:16 pm

Good Question, for those that dont know, they were at one point actually called the "Gorillas", and it was talked about going back to that as the mascot, but it never picked up steam. It seems everyone around here in Jonesboro says it is between Express and Red Wolves, before it was a no brainer that Red Wolves would be it no questions asked, but then Express picked up steam(no pun intended) and is making a run, I personally as a fan of both U of A and ASU, hope they go to Red Wolves and not Express.