Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lacewell: Hogs-Tribe Should Play Because It's 'Right Thing To Do' (With Audio)

Started by hogginuplittlerock, November 20, 2007, 10:28:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogginuplittlerock

"Ya'll [Arkansas fans] are rival-less," Lacewell said. He spoke of his longtime admiration for outgoing Arkansas athletic director Frank Broyles but said that Broyles' policy of not scheduling Arkansas State now is wrong.

"Times have changed," he said, noting that Arkansas will schedule members of Arkansas State's conference, the Sun Belt, and even Division I-AA Tennessee-Chattanooga, but not ASU.

"They're worried about it dividing the fan base," Lacewell said with mock puzzlement. "Arkansas has its fan base, Arkansas State has its little fan base, and then the rest of the state is for the Hogs."

Next Monday will mark the last regularly scheduled Touchdown Club meeting of the season. The meeting will start at noon, with the buffet line opening at 11 a.m. at the Embassy Suites. The membership will vote on its awards, which are to be presented at the club's annual banquet in January.

Click here or on the player seen below to hear Lacewell's comments today at the Little Rock Touchdown Club (34 minutes):

story link: http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/sports_article.asp?aID=101076.11986.113195&page=2

audio is on that page

Dr Swineglove

Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

hogginuplittlerock

rest of the article my bad

Lacewell: Hogs-Tribe Should Play Because It's 'Right Thing To Do' (With Audio)
by Jim Harris [comment on this article]

Larry Lacewell, speaking before the Little Rock Touchdown Club, passionately implored to its membership that the Arkansas Razorbacks and the Arkansas State University Indians should meet on the football field.

"Arkansas should play Arkansas State because it's the right thing to do," Lacewell said in a tone that he might have used with his football teams during his coaching career.

Lacewell, who lives in Jonesboro, coached for nearly a decade at Arkansas State when the Indians were a Division I-AA team. He was defensive coordinator at Oklahoma during the Sooners' 1970s heyday, and also coached at the University of Tennessee in a coaching career that dates to 1962, when Lacewell went to work as a gradulate assistant for Paul "Bear" Bryant at Alabama. Lacewell worked for the Dallas Cowboys in their front office starting in the 1990s, and now is retired. He's approaching 70 years old.

In a half-hour talk that was laced with quips and good-natured barbs aimed at such audience members as former Razorback quarterback Clint Stoerner, Lacewell turned quite serious when hitting his main point, which was hoping that Arkansas and its Board of Trustees leadership would see the strong points of the Hogs playing Arkansas State.

Arkansas has had a policy dating to John Barnhill's arrival as coach and athletic director in 1946 of not playing any other in-state school in any sports. The UA men's and women's basketball teams have once played Arkansas State's teams in post-season play.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/sports_article.asp?aID=101076.11986.113195

mcclintock126

Go to H_LL, Mr. Lacewell....respectfully. Nobody cares what you think.

DeltaBoy

Larry is Right; we need to play ASU in LR every year or quit scheduling Sunbelt teams all together. IMO
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

phadedhawg

If we are going to play cupcakes....it should be Arkansas State!!!!

I would LOVE to see this game!!!!! 

I want us to beat the crap out of them...yearly!!  Sure..play it at War Memorial Stadium and let ASU call it a home game...I don't care.

I'm tired to directional schools from Louisiana.

biggiepiggie

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 20, 2007, 10:42:25 am
Larry is Right; we need to play ASU in LR every year or quit scheduling Sunbelt teams all together. IMO

I agree.  Keep some of that money in Arkansas.

Dr Swineglove

If we didn't play Sunbelt schools, Nutt wouldn't have had a championship this season.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

cmc3030

arkansas should play arkansas state. this is funny. broyles is gone you get people to say what they feel. it is about time.

Justifiable Hogicide

Red Tusk

I too am tired of watching the rest of the Sunbelt teams come to WMS and RRS and walk out with 300-500K every year. Imagine what that money could do for ASU and the economy in Fayetteville or LR. I hate to say this but I don't think it will happen until JFB passes away. It also depends on whether Long has the stones to proceed with making it happen..but with Frank in an office down the hall it'll be tough.
If you can accept losing, you can't win.-Vince Lombardi

'Why don't they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff.'-Steven Wright

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

claycohog

If you lived in NEA (and were a Razorback fan) you would want them to play.  I promise!  If we start playing them their ignorant fans will finally shut the hell up when we humiliate them year after year.

You think Lacewell is short now you need to see him stand on ASU's athletic budget.  All they really want is a pay day.

ccroom

a great speaker. Lacewell reminds me of Jerry Clower.

Its absolutely ridiculous that we play all the other sunbelt teams except for our own. What does the UA have to lose??? We ain't going to lose any scholarship athletes thats for darned sure. I grew up in NEA and graduated from the UA. Every Hog fan from that area would come out to watch this game.
A true in-state rivalry...something we lack.
Because of what??? Fear that they might beat us??

I think it should be our final game of the season just like FL/FSU, Auburn/Bammer, Clemson/SC...

agr347

I just wish they would play so there wouldn;t be a debate about it anymore....I was at the women's NIT game a couple of years ago when the Lady Indians and Lady "Backs played and it was a great atmosphere!  As good of one as I have seen at ASU, although that doesn't take a whole lot
"Just remember, its not a lie if you believe it." -George Costanza

Dr Swineglove

In lieu of doing 'the right thing' and playing ASU, I say we call a spade a spade and just declare ASU a state charity case.

We could put little mason jars in every bank and restaraunt in the state, soliciting $.25 donations for the 'Save the ASU (insert mascot name here)' fund. That might save the ASU students a few bucks that are currently being drained out of the school's coffers.

DrSwineESQ

It's going to happen.  I don't think it's as much about Long standing up to Broyles and forcing the matchup, even assuming he wants to see it happen.  I don't think his desire will matter that much.  As a new AD, IMO, Long will be unable to prevent it from happening even if he wants to--there are too many people around the state who want to see the game played.  Long taking JFBs place is not the same thing as having his power. 

I am MrAZIFFELL

I don't really care what he thinks....But if he thinks the Hogs should play ASU then I agree.

HawgWyld

Agreed. Put that thing in War Memorial every year and it would be an absolute hoot. A sellout, too.

STLRazorback

If you guys get a chance you should listen to this thing. It's hilarious. This guy is a character.

DriveByHogger

Screw ASU! If they want to play the Hogs so bad make them pay us $300,000 cash plus all concessions and the gate to play at WMS. If ASU is ever our rival it will be time to give up football.
She ain't revved 'till the rods are thrown!

razornole

He MAY be correct, but when has he ever been concerned with doing the 'right' thing?
Broyles is Porter Waggoner trying to play hip-hop - John Brummett

FL_Hog_Fan

It isn't the right thing.  There is absolutely nothing to gain from giving an instate nobody the time of day.  Ask FSU, Miami, and Florida how they feel about a nobody (who didn't even have a team 10 years ago) being in a BCS conference and getting national attention.  I'll tell you how they feel about it.  They think that it sucks.  If we do this, we won't regret it for a while, but I promise you that, eventually, we will regret it.  They don't take their football program seriously, neither should we.  Frank's been wrong about a lot lately, but this isn't one of them.
What were we arguing about anyway?

flynhog

Lets get rid of Frank's mentality.  Play them in LIT.  Its good for everyone, even Frank.
Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

steelhog66

If we are going to crush 2 or 3 Sun Belt schools a year, why not include the Indians. It would be alot more entertaining than Monroe or Florida Int. It would be good fit for Little Rock.

DeltaBoy

slopinhogs

i think giving A aStae the money instead of tenn chatt. would be the right thing to do
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

alohawg

Like him or not, he is pretty funny. ;D  Playing ASU?  I'm not against beating the snot out of the Indians atleast once just to shut them up.

edit: I wrote this as I was listening to Larry and heard him supporting the nuttman as he wrapped up so let me amend this by saying in addition to being pretty funny he's also pretty full of crap!
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Apathy

I would hardly call what he said to Stoener a good-natured "barb".  It was brutal.  In front of 300 people he asked Stoener who drove him there.  Over the line.

I think he did convince me that we should play ASU.

dogsiceman

:razorback: :razorback:

I'm reading some of these responses to this thread, and it's pretty amusing.  If you guys played football, and played for the helmet, then you understand why these two teams need to tee it up.  Get off the Sun Belt, SEC crap.  Keep the revenues in state.  It's absolutely the stupidest thing..........ASU will never beat ARK. and we all know it.  Let them play, and keep the money home.  who said ASU has to get all the bucks......split it and make everybody happy.  Enough of the "any old blind hog will find an acorn" crap.  ASU will never win  nuff said!!!

can't wait for the new coach (es) and program

hogfan47

Quote from: hogginuplittlerock on November 20, 2007, 10:28:28 am
"Ya'll [Arkansas fans] are rival-less," Lacewell said. He spoke of his longtime admiration for outgoing Arkansas athletic director Frank Broyles but said that Broyles' policy of not scheduling Arkansas State now is wrong.

"Times have changed," he said, noting that Arkansas will schedule members of Arkansas State's conference, the Sun Belt, and even Division I-AA Tennessee-Chattanooga, but not ASU.

"They're worried about it dividing the fan base," Lacewell said with mock puzzlement. "Arkansas has its fan base, Arkansas State has its little fan base, and then the rest of the state is for the Hogs."

Next Monday will mark the last regularly scheduled Touchdown Club meeting of the season. The meeting will start at noon, with the buffet line opening at 11 a.m. at the Embassy Suites. The membership will vote on its awards, which are to be presented at the club's annual banquet in January.

Click here or on the player seen below to hear Lacewell's comments today at the Little Rock Touchdown Club (34 minutes):

story link: http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/sports_article.asp?aID=101076.11986.113195&page=2

audio is on that page
'

i agree would make a great game for little rock.
play the rest on the hill
C L martin

Fort Smith Ark    

start the healing process now

capehog

Quote from: phadedhawg on November 20, 2007, 10:52:51 am
If we are going to play cupcakes....it should be Arkansas State!!!!

I would LOVE to see this game!!!!! 

I want us to beat the crap out of them...yearly!!  Sure..play it at War Memorial Stadium and let ASU call it a home game...I don't care.

I'm tired to directional schools from Louisiana.
[/quot

Go Hogs Beat Ridgerunners
Quote from: Fatty McGee on October 26, 2010, 03:19:41 pm
I think we should beat anyone who has ideas that we disagree with and dares to make the public.  You're right on here.
Quote from: Overtheroadtruckdriver on April 28, 2010, 05:34:48 pm
Everyone and their dog on here turned in to dr. Phil. That's my favorite part. Everybody had advice. If I ever need advice, which is doubtful, hogville will be the last place I come for it.

Watching the rockets launch from the beach is way cool. Time for a new NASA to continue the mission. Crying shame we have a president that hates America. You people get what you deserve  #obamasfault

Big Papa Satan

Justifiable Hogicide

Don't you just love a reprobate like Lacewell telling us it's "the right thing to do."?

VenturaHog

The Hogs have nothing to gain in this. Sad but true, there is no benefit for the Hogs, only stAte.

stan the man

I'm not worrying about dividing the fan base if we play ASU, what worry's me is dividing the recruits.  I don't think we should play ASU nor any other Sun Belt team for that matter.

rricebuyer

Arkansas is one of the few states without an in-state rivalery. You couldn't build a stadium big enough to hold all the people that would come to the game.

PaleHorse

Quote from: Hogapalooza on November 20, 2007, 03:46:52 pm
This can hurt us more than help us, so why until aSu can hold their own better in D-1a should we play them?\
Let them get better on their own then we can play them. 
We already won the Sun Belt,  what have they done this year in that league?

+1

Arkansas has nothing to gain from this..... aSu would get instant credibility.  They are not OSU of Oklahoma, Texas A&M of Texas, Auburn of Alabama.... They are AS-Freaking-U!   Don't schedule this game... EVER!
Hog Database \ Arkansas Razorback Football History

STLRazorback

Are you guys serious? This game would be awesome. I would love nothing more than to beat ASU merciless every year. There is no way they would ever beat us. This would finally make those hardcore State fans shut up. I dont understand why we help ULM out but won't help a team from our own state out. It's not like they are ever going to be as popular as the Hogs. Why not play them?

rricebuyer

ASU could never beat the Razorbacks, so why not have a good old fashioned grudge match once a year. Basketball too, while we are at it.

Justme

Quote from: biggiepiggie on November 20, 2007, 10:53:51 am

Right.  It would be good for the state.

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: Justme on November 20, 2007, 04:58:56 pm

Better yet, save the state money by sending ASU back down to DII.

Justme

Quote from: Dr Swineglove on November 20, 2007, 05:01:31 pm
Quote from: Justme on November 20, 2007, 04:58:56 pm

Better yet, save the state money by sending ASU back down to DII.
Or, since you're being nasty, send the U of A somewhere where they're competitive.

Wyld_Hawg

Justme

Wyld_Hawg

Quote from: Justme on November 20, 2007, 05:07:57 pm
Quote from: Wyld_Hawg on November 20, 2007, 05:04:17 pm
If Arkansas plays ASU, then ASU needs to play UCA.
Agree.  Keeps all the money here in the state.

UCA has taken the first step by playing a lower tier in state team. They have put their money where their mouth is.

HatfieldHog

The University of Arkansas "CANNOT" benefit from playing Arkansas State University!

There is no legitimate reason to play them.

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

Justme

Quote from: HatfieldHog on November 20, 2007, 05:17:08 pm
The University of Arkansas "CANNOT" benefit from playing Arkansas State University!

There is no legitimate reason to play them.

See ya
Did we benefit from Florida International?  They sure did financially.