Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A-State Comes back from 31-6 halftime deficit to win!

Started by WilsonHog, September 27, 2007, 07:28:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

budcampbellfan

"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

kgr

bigredone

Shrute you choked me up with the "everybody hurts" reference. Too late at night for those kinds of images.

TransAmHawg

It'll Shine When it Shines

Ol Frank has finally $h!t in his own lunch box!!!

"I hope they all keep smiling and taking the arse pounding that we are dishing out..
  It's their choice to bite the pillow or look over their shoulder lovingly.
  Either way we're on top..!"   
                             4windshawg

jjones

reggie arnold only had 3 rushes for 9 yards....anyone know if he was injured during the game?

Cartoon Man

hirebutchdavis

Way to go Arkie St!  GO MEAN GREEN!  I HEAR THOSE OTHER NUTTS LOOSENING ON THOSE OTHER THREE WHEELS.

One Bad Boy

Dwight_K_Shrute

Casey,

I'd like to dedicate this video to a group of people hurting out there.  They have finally seen their idol for what he is.  It was a tough fall and watching the little guys from the east make a 4th quarter comeback didn't help.

This is a personal sympathy card from Dwight with love to the Huggers.  It may make you laugh.  It may make you cry.  I just hope it helps you Heal.

Dwight from Scranton

[youtube=425,350]7JkDqDrVico[/youtube]
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Since 1894

September 27, 2007, 10:19:53 pm #59 Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 10:21:34 pm by Since 1894
and I wish I had A-state in my Hogville football Pickup.

I saw a replay of the Texas game and they really looked like a solid team.

They are doing a good job over there.

Maybe they could move to the Big 12 North???
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

cityhog

What did they ever decide to gnange their mascot name to?  Have they decided yet?  Ant time Memphass gets beat it's a good thing.  I picked A State in pick 'em !

Rooka

pioneerhog

Quote from: jerry on September 27, 2007, 09:33:46 pm
There leading rusher on the season (reggie Arnold) only had 9 yards on 3 carries.  I assume he went down early with an injury.
Yes he went down early with what, from the PBP guys, appears to be a some type of leg injury.

hawglvr

Maybe when (if, ever) Frank's gone we can play A state.  Wouldn't that fill the stands in LR, and wouldn't they whip us good!!!

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Oliver Miller on September 27, 2007, 09:23:54 pm
Quote from: WBChogfan on September 27, 2007, 09:22:51 pm
I think ASU has an excellent shot at the Sunbelt title this year.  It'll be hard to know the true champion because they don't play the other major contender in the Sunbelt, Arkansas.

Maybe we'll play them in a bowl game.  To determine who the real Sun Belt champion really is.

I think Frank would rather play Tulsa!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

hogbalz

Just got back from the game and wanted to share a few thoughts. It was one of the best come from behind wins I have ever seen. Though the crowd is not the U of A it was still nice. Steve does not put up with any bs. I witnessed him get into several peoples a@#. It was very refreshing to see a coach make some major halftime adjustments. I will always be a hog fan but as I reflect upon the night whats wrong with pulling for our little brothers? Just wanted to say congrats to them. They played their butts off and never gave up.
In doing your work in the great world, it is a safe plan to follow a rule I once heard on the football field: Don't flinch, don't fall; hit the line hard.
--Theodore Roosevelt

If you don't make a total commitment to whatever you're doing, then you start looking to bail out the first time the boat starts leaking. It's tough enough getting that boat to shore with everybody rowing, let alone when a guy stands up and starts putting his jacket on.
--Lou Holtz

hogs derriere

i went to the game guys. just a little feed back. their passing game is light years ahead of ours. so is their coaching. i am die hard razorback, if u were to remove mac and felix from our team, asu would win. i know thats a big if, but those two players would simply wear asu down. after that they are pretty evenly matched with a better qb and scheme

Porkem

They got robbed by the refs on the onside kick.  Could have beaten Texas.  Liked to know what old Paw Paw Frank would have thought if that would have happened.
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

ProudHawg

Isn't this a RAZORBACK board?  Why are you discussing Arizona State?
Our strength is that we don't have any weaknesses.
Our weakness is that we don't have any real strengths.

jasonf

i watched it too.  Roberts runs a good a good program with odds stacked against him.... His qb is the best in the state - no question... hands down.

Jim

Dwight, I gave you +1 for realizing that Sprinkles the cat was of no further use to the human race as it didn't offer milk, fur or meat for mankind and as such, you humanely put her in a freezer to end her suffering.

+1 for you, Mr. Humanitarian.  :)

The improvement in every aspect of stAte's football program in the past 6 years is remarkable.  Cory Leonard is very good, and only a sophmore but the team overall is fairly solid and well coached.

Two HUNH offenses going at it tonight although Memphis got away from that and got very conservative in the second half.  That along with a spirited rally by the home team made for a remarkable comeback.

chiefsfan

Quote from: jasonf on September 27, 2007, 11:09:56 pm
i watched it too.  Roberts runs a good a good program with odds stacked against him.... His qb is the best in the state - no question... hands down.

its not like he has any competition...  If Arkansas had corey leonard at quarterback, they would be 2-1 right now at worst, and maybe even 3-0
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

hogtheball

Quote from: chiefsfan on September 27, 2007, 11:19:08 pm
Quote from: jasonf on September 27, 2007, 11:09:56 pm

its not like he has any competition...  If Arkansas had corey leonard at quarterback, they would be 2-1 right now at worst, and maybe even 3-0

If Corey Leonard was at Arkansas he wouldn't be half the QB he is right now - and there's plenty of evidence to support that theory.  Steve is a good coach.  trivia note:  (Steve and Gus were actually at OBU together for a semester). 
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Barman91

The man can coach; ASU hung 29 unanswered second half points on Memphis tonight to win.

Granted, Memphis/ASU is a different level of game, but I'll be darned if HDN could EVER come back from 31-6 down to win shiite.

Porkem

Houston Nutt couldn't carry Steve Robert's jockstrap.  Yes, that was a hell of a comeback.  GO INDIANS!
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

stAtefan

Quote from: TransAmHawg on September 27, 2007, 10:08:59 pm
Quote from: kgr on September 27, 2007, 09:58:16 pm
They would beat us like a rented mule.

Thats an insult to all rented mules.

That is the funniest thing I have read on a message board in a long time.  But I would disagree, UA would beat ASU because of Jones and McFadden.  However, Roberts would coach circles around HDN. 

Roberts is a good coach and a class act, basically he's the anti-Nutt. 

spiritof92

It reminds me of the USC games (So. Cal.).  What happened when HDN was faced with similar circumstances?  That's right, bad just got worse until the final gun mercifully sounded.

MichaelT.

I gotta check that one out.... I was at O.B.U. with Steve, but I don't recall Gus.

But on that note, You won't meet a better guy than Steve. He and his wife are class. Some of the nicest folks you could ever meet, and I hope he continues to do well, and gets a call for an SEC job soon. 

Flatfoot

You guys have a real gem in Steve Roberts.  If you guys keep him around, he could really do great things for State.
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

Oliver

Quote from: butchdavisisback on September 27, 2007, 11:04:22 pm
They got robbed by the refs on the onside kick.  Could have beaten Texas.  Liked to know what old Paw Paw Frank would have thought if that would have happened.

He would have given Steve Roberts a two year pass.

stAtefan

In the last couple of years I have probably watched about as many hog games as stAte games and the most striking difference between Roberts and HDN is that Roberts always seems to make pretty good halftime adjustments, while HDN seems to stick to his pregame plan regardless of how the first half played out. 

taintlint

Do they pay coaches at AState or is it still a volunteer thing?

Barman91

I honestly did not post this to start an ASU - UofA debate. 

My point is simply this:  Steve Roberts is a better coach than HDN.  Period.  He gets the very best out of his players and I can ASSURE you, he would never, ever, blame his players for a loss.

He is a classy man, a great football coach and will be successful for a very long time.

chiefsfan

Quote from: taintlint on September 28, 2007, 12:46:33 am
Do they pay coaches at AState or is it still a volunteer thing?

You wont get me riled up its too good a day...well except for the Mets...

Memphis pays 975,000 a year for their horrible coach now...   add a mil to that and you can buy one used car sale....err Football coach who loves a helmet
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Porkahontas

I was at the game tonight. Here's my thoughts:

1) Reggie Arnold went out early with a leg injury. After Memphis got out front early, I didn't see ASu coming back.

2) Watching the D-lineman from Memphis run that fumble back 80+ yards was high comedy. It was like it was in slow motion.

3) I almost left at halftime. Glad I decided to stick around.

4) Corey Leonard is the best QB in the state of Arkansas this year. Dick isn't close.

5) The ASU offense is about 10 times as sophisticated as the pure crap we witness for the Razorbacks. Steve Roberts would be able to win McFadden the Heisman AND be 3-0 right now. That's right, Steve Roberts > Houston Nutt. More with less? Roberts is doing it, not Nutt.

6) There was probably close to 20,000 there tonight, less than the 26,000 or so announced but more than what you normally see for an ASU game. Talked to one guy wearing a Hog hat that said he's given up on the Hogs until Nutt is gone. I seconded the notion.

7) I'm not so sure the Hogs would beat ASU this year. The Hogs have a definite advantage in overall talent but they ASU has a decisive advantage at QB, possibly WR, and definitely coaching.

I'll be going back to more ASU games this year and I'm going to encourage anyone I can to bail on the Hogs this season in favor of going to see ASU this year. A coach with a shred of integrity and an offense that is balanced. A QB that can (or is allowed to) throw the ball down the field further than 10 yards. A fan base that has become unified behind a common goal (instead of being tore apart because our coach won't do his damn job).

I didn't realize how pathetic things had got for the Razorbacks until tonight. ASU isn't far off from being on Arkansas's level as long as Houston Nutt is there.

THROWITDEEP

Quote from: RoyalHog on September 28, 2007, 01:11:58 am

1) Reggie Arnold went out early with a leg injury. After Memphis got out front early, I didn't see ASu coming back.

2) Watching the D-lineman from Memphis run that fumble back 80+ yards was high comedy. It was like it was in slow motion.

4) Corey Leonard is the best QB in the state of Arkansas this year. Dick isn't close.

5) The ASU offense is about 10 times as sophisticated as the pure crap we witness for the Razorbacks. Steve Roberts would be able to win McFadden the Heisman AND be 3-0 right now. That's right, Steve Roberts > Houston Nutt. More with less? Roberts is doing it, not Nutt.

6) There was probably close to 20,000 there tonight, less than the 26,000 or so announced but more than what you normally see for an ASU game. Talked to one guy wearing a Hog hat that said he's given up on the Hogs until Nutt is gone. I seconded the notion.

7) I'm not so sure the Hogs would beat ASU this year. The Hogs have a definite advantage in overall talent but they ASU has a decisive advantage at QB, possibly WR, and definitely coaching.

I'll be going back to more ASU games this year and I'm going to encourage anyone I can to bail on the Hogs this season in favor of going to see ASU this year. A coach with a shred of integrity and an offense that is balanced. A QB that can (or is allowed to) throw the ball down the field further than 10 yards. A fan base that has become unified behind a common goal (instead of being tore apart because our coach won't do his damn job).

I didn't realize how pathetic things had got for the Razorbacks until tonight. ASU isn't far off from being on Arkansas's level as long as Houston Nutt is there.

I was there tonight as well.  This is a pretty good post!  The hogs would win though.

Leonard is the real deal!  Rocket Arm!

Porkahontas

Quote from: THROWITDEEP on September 28, 2007, 01:16:32 am
I was there tonight as well.  This is a pretty good post!  The hogs would win though.

Leonard is the real deal!  Rocket Arm!

Hogs would win. ASU would keep it damn close because Leonard would be able to pass on the Arkansas DB's and Roberts would make adjustments at halftime whereas Nutt would just run the damn ball up the middle like he did against Bama and Kentucky the entire second half.

Steve Roberts would (and is, actually) coach circles around Houston Nutt. The Hogs would likely win but it'd make people look twice at the difference in the two programs right now.

go hogues

I'll be going back to more ASU games this year and I'm going to encourage anyone I can to bail on the Hogs this season in favor of going to see ASU this year.
I didn't realize how pathetic things had got for the Razorbacks until tonight.
You know, there is a lot of upside to that notion this year.  Hog fans can get behind a team that is doing some good things, without getting too emotionally attached.  If the team from Jonesboro wins, then great, Arkansans can be proud.  If they get beat, who cares? It's just A-State. 

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Porkahontas

Quote from: go hogues on September 28, 2007, 01:25:59 am
You know, there is a lot of upside to that notion this year.  Hog fans can get behind a team that is doing some good things, without getting too emotionally attached.  If the team from Jonesboro wins, then great, Arkansans can be proud.  If they get beat, who cares? It's just A-State. 

You know, honestly, that is how I feel about the Razorbacks this year.

If they win, great. I'm happy for the players. If they lose. Big freaking deal. It's just hopefully one more nail in Nutt's coffin.

Apathy kicked in about 8 months ago with the Razorback program. It's going to take ousting Nutt and all the trash in the athletic department to get me to actually cheer for the program. I'm all for the players because it seems many are realizing how inadequate the coaching staff is without Campbell and Gus around still. There might only be two coaches on the staff that has any business in Division I football though.

mhogs

That d-lineman tried to commit to the hogs a couple of times...

hawaiianhogster

Kicking Wing

Thanks for the comments guys.  I was really worried going into this game even though ASU's talent is superior to Memphis's as well as the coaching.  Memphis came out with an air of desperation and emptied the playbook scoring on a WR pass for 80 yds and hitting huge plays on a QB throwback, double reverse and a bomb on the first play.  They went for it on 4th down several times and got that big fumble return.

Corey Leonard was awesome.  He had about 9 passes dropped (a few because he put too much on the pass), but still had a heck of a game.

The contrast in ASU's defense from one half to the other was amazing.  A little was due to Mephis getting conservative, but mostly it was adjustments to the shceme and personnel.  Memphis had 297 yds. in the first half with their peewee football plays, but managed only 98 in the second half when they had to line up and play straight football.

For a Thursday night crowd it was a VERY good crowd for us.  Evryone inflates their numbers a little, but anything over 20K is good for a mid-major on a weeknight.  It was amazing the way the crowd came to life after a 90 yd punt return borught ASU only too within 18 points.  The players really fed off the crowd.

Again, thanks for the kind words and good luck with the coaching situation.  Your players deserve better.  Come out to an ASU game if you get a chance.  If you haven't been in while you will be at least slightly impressed with the improvements and better atmoshpere.

MountieDawg

GO INDIANS!!!   Which Division one team in the state has the best record in the state?  ASU!!!  Plus they have played Texas, Tenneessee, SMU and Memphis....  Not a bad schedule...
SEC!

MountieDawg

IF you really wanto to piss off Frank... Start giving the Indians support... If you did that five years ago Houston would have been gone 4 years ago!!!!
SEC!

gduchar

on, on, on to victory
brave team you're second to none
let's make this game history
like all the others we've won
fight, fight, fight with all you're might
so that the world may seeeeee
that I N D I A N S  spells viccctooorrryyyyyy

GO STATE!!!!

bradleywright89

Yeah their offense is great, i bet you wouldnt say that when i went to schoo,there in 05-06 and watched a 3-0 OVERTIME GAME. Also, someone was giving ASU credit for almost beating Texas?  When the hell does almost beating someone count? Ark almost beat Bama, Ark almost had the best QB in its history last year.  With all that being said, ASU has really inproved under Roberts, no more 1-10 seasons.  But i think for ASU to be taken seriously they should move to Conference USA.

bradleywright89

Quote from: MountieDawg on September 28, 2007, 07:49:09 am
GO INDIANS!!!   Which Division one team in the state has the best record in the state?  ASU!!!  Plus they have played Texas, Tenneessee, SMU and Memphis....  Not a bad schedule...

I went to ASU, but grew up a Hogs fan, so i root for them both.  But this schedule you speak of...........they lost to Texas, Tenn and SMU and Memphis are horrible.  I think ASU's real test will be against Troy.

WilsonHog

ASU football is becoming the feel-good sports story in the state this fall. If the Indians play as well in the Sun Belt as they have non-conference, they could be looking at 9 or 10 wins.

Good for them. I bet they are loving life in Jonesboro.

Oh, and the fact that last night's miracle comeback was over Memphis...say goodnight, Tommy West.

ark30inf

Quote from: bradleywright89 on September 28, 2007, 08:06:47 am
Yeah their offense is great, i bet you wouldnt say that when i went to schoo,there in 05-06 and watched a 3-0 OVERTIME GAME. Also, someone was giving ASU credit for almost beating Texas?  When the hell does almost beating someone count? Ark almost beat Bama, Ark almost had the best QB in its history last year.  With all that being said, ASU has really inproved under Roberts, no more 1-10 seasons.  But i think for ASU to be taken seriously they should move to Conference USA.

Moral victories are much more meaningful on the climb up than they are on the fall down.  Teams that unexpectedly perform exceedingly well on the road against programs that outclass them all in aspects get some credit for that achievement.....or at least do not get slammed as hard for the loss.

Razorback fans naturally, and correctly, have an aversion to moral victories because they have been used to excuse losses that should not have been losses.  But not all moral victories are of the Houston Nutt variety.  If Appalachian State had lost by one....it would have still been a major achievement for that particular program and those particular players. 

Just because Razorback fans have been abused by moral victories.....is hopefully not a reason for them to become cynical about EVERY moral victory.  Not too many years ago ASU was the poorest of the poor and getting blown out by bad 1-AA teams and now they are going into Austin and scaring the crap out of the Longhorns.  That really is quite a scrappy little achievement even if it wasn't a tick in the win column.

As for CUSA, the Sun Belt had a 4-3 record against them last year and ASU has a 2-0 record against them this year so I think that move might be becoming a lateral one in terms of football quality....but your point is probably in regards to tv market and that is true.