Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why doesn't Arkansas play ASU?? POLL

Started by Mark Lericos, July 03, 2007, 05:28:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Lericos

Been a hot topic over the years... and one I don't quite understand.  All the criticism over Arkansas's schedule this year and the cupcake opponents. Now while Troy isn't a cupcake, they are out of the Sun Belt (just like ASU) and no one in this state knows them.  why not schedule the Indians and spice up the non-conference slate!?

I understand the fear of losing to your smaller in-state teams... but it doesn't stop FSU, Auburn, Clemson, South Carolina, Georgia, Michigan, etc from doing it.  It's good for the state, and it certainly is more interesting than Florida International.

I've got a poll on the website...  www.4029tv.com     just click on sports and cast your vote about the topic, curious to see what Hogville thinks.

THANKS.  By the way, I will run something tonight at 6:00 about it as well.  It may be taboo... but I don't mind, it's summer.  Everyone is golfing or swimming right now anyway.

HawgAdvocate

Shanklin, Broyles...behind closed doors they'll all tell you it's because they have nothing to gain, and everything to lose.

They like it that they feel that they're the only show in town. And since they don't play ASU or UALR, they don't ever have to let them out from under their thumb.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

dalasater

I'd like to see it.  But, if ASU wants to play the Hogs, I think they should sign at least a 5 year contract!  I just don't see it happening; it would be a good move for ASU, whether they won or lost, but I think the Hogs would get a negative wrap if they throttled them (like they should).

SouthpawSensation

July 03, 2007, 05:40:08 pm #3 Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 05:42:01 pm by SouthpawSensation
I don't see the logic of not playing Arkansas State when Arkansas can schedule three other Sun Belt Conference teams to games and help them with their scheduling (probably giving them a nice check on the side, as well).
Honestly, do you think ASU wants to play the Hogs just to get the Razorbacks' money? Of course not.
Arkansas State just wants a little pride and respect by playing the Hogs. I would much rather see an Arkansas-ASU game with some pride on the line than the Hogs playing the likes of UT-Chattanooga any day of the week.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Both Michigan and Michigan State play Mid American teams, Western Michigan - Central Michigan - Eastern Michigan, and the Big Ten doesn't always win.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Mark Lericos

July 03, 2007, 05:44:36 pm #5 Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 05:48:24 pm by Mark Lericos
   On the surface it looks elitist on the Hogs part. You could play ASU, UALR, UCA, beat them, and then the paychecks stay in-state... which is good for everyone.  The State of Arkansas likes to portray they are on an island from the rest of the SEC in recruiting and such.  Well the state should unify in that sense and help each other out. 

I know this, if I payed for season tickets, and saw those 4 non-conference games, I'd be ticked. They all stink as far as interest.

BigDeal

Arkansas should play Arkansas State. However, the games should always be played on Arkansas' home field just like the other Sun Belt schools.

grayhawg

You may get a call from the BOT telling you your not welcome at press conferences any more for this. "we will nevah play ASU" as long as FB is around

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Mark Lericos on July 03, 2007, 05:28:11 pm

Been a hot topic over the years... and one I don't quite understand.  All the criticism over Arkansas's schedule this year and the cupcake opponents. Now while Troy isn't a cupcake, they are out of the Sun Belt (just like ASU) and no one in this state knows them.  why not schedule the Indians and spice up the non-conference slate!?

I understand the fear of losing to your smaller in-state teams... but it doesn't stop FSU, Auburn, Clemson, South Carolina, Georgia, Michigan, etc from doing it.  It's good for the state, and it certainly is more interesting than Florida International.

I've got a poll on the website...  www.4029tv.com     just click on sports and cast your vote about the topic, curious to see what Hogville thinks.

THANKS.  By the way, I will run something tonight at 6:00 about it as well.  It may be taboo... but I don't mind, it's summer.  Everyone is golfing or swimming right now anyway.

I think there is some of that "nothing to gain, only something to lose" involved.  I also think the PTB go with a mindset of "we're doing ASU a favor by not routing them every year".  I think their thought process is, "We don't want to embarass an in-state school on the field so we don't play them".  They probably also see playing other Sun Belt schools as a way of telling ASU, "This is why we don't play you".
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Mark Lericos

the idea of routing ASU is a bit silly.  Watch how Troy does against the Hogs in two months. Then tell me they are "sparing" the Indians from a rout each year.   ;D

grayhawg

Quote from: rlh06 on July 03, 2007, 05:53:19 pm

I've got a poll on the website...  www.4029tv.com     just click on sports and cast your vote about the topic, curious to see what Hogville thinks.

I think there is some of that "nothing to gain, only something to lose" involved.  I also think the PTB go with a mindset of "we're doing ASU a favor by not routing them every year".  I think their thought process is, "We don't want to embarass an in-state school on the field so we don't play them".  They probably also see playing other Sun Belt schools as a way of telling ASU, "This is why we don't play you".
I think the real reason is "oh my gawd they won oh s**t. I promise you that would be FB's worst nightmare

UhOhioHog

Why play the Injuns when we can take on top programs like the "Mighty Mocs" from Chattanooga!

I can only name two players in the history of that school.

Terrell El Dorado Owens and my Dad!

lymanhawg

Mark,
You need to ask this on the tv. Put a little pressure on the ptb.

Mark Lericos

Quote from: lymanhawg on July 03, 2007, 05:59:09 pm
Mark,
You need to ask this on the tv. Put a little pressure on the ptb.

I'm leading the show with it tonight at 6.    :D

lymanhawg

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: grayhawg on July 03, 2007, 05:57:39 pm
Quote from: rlh06 on July 03, 2007, 05:53:19 pm

I think the real reason is "oh my gawd they won oh s**t. I promise you that would be FB's worst nightmare

True dat, true dat!
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

SouthpawSensation

"We have nothing to lose" by playing Arkansas State .... hmmmmm....
Guess what, people? Arkansas is losing money by writing checks to these other schools for these non-conference games! They take the money, play the game and go home. And because of it, we have such a cupcake non-conference schedule that diabetic Hog fans better bring their insulin or medication to keep their blood sugar down during these non-conference games.

grayhawg

just looked at poll 71% say play in state schools :)

UhOhioHog

Would playing ASU improve our Strength of Schedule?
Any more than playing Troy?
Why not play Henderson and Harding while we're at it?

Seriously, I don't see a point in playing ASU unless you're talking the one from Arizona!

Playing ASU serves no purpose to anyone other than ASU.

Albert Einswine

Because it's been UofA policy since at least the John Barnhill era.  I wouldn't care if we played them at our discretion, but I'd never want to see us roped into some kind of home and home deal or even the insistance that the game be played in Little Rock, as though they are a peer.

If you'll check my post history, you'll see that I have moderated my position on this subject.  Having grown up in Craighead County and lived the majority of my life in close proximity to Jonesboro and having been exposed to the more radical elements of the ASU fan base that absolutely abhor the Hogs and make ridiculous assertions about Arkansas, I've always been a proponent of never playing them for any reason.

My more recent, utter disgust with J. Frank Broyles has somewhat softened me with regards to this issue and I've changed my mind to the extent that I posted above.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

UhOhioHog

Ask Colorado how that series with Colorado State has "helped" in solidifing in-state recuits?

Don't cut off your nose folks!

SouthpawSensation

Playing Arkansas State would help our strength of schedule a lot better than a winless Florida International team or even a Division I-AA school like Chattanooga.
And again, it keeps the money inside state borders. We shouldn't have to be helping teams like UL-Monroe, which counted games as WMS for its attendance totals as a home game. Why not help the Northeast Arkansas constituents instead?

Albert Einswine

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on July 03, 2007, 06:18:23 pm
Playing Arkansas State would help our strength of schedule a lot better than a winless Florida International team or even a Division I-AA school like Chattanooga.
And again, it keeps the money inside state borders. We shouldn't have to be helping teams like UL-Monroe, which counted games as WMS for its attendance totals as a home game. Why not help the Northeast Arkansas constituents instead?

Why this nonsense about helping them as though it's the charitable thing to do?  I say if we're going to play them, do it at our discretion, at the place of our choosing, pay them the standard rent-a-win fee and beat them like a yard dog.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

harrisburghog

keeping the money in state thing is bogus, visiting teams are paid from ticket sales, if you are that upset about the money going out of state dont go . asu shoud play uca, mentioned that to asu fans and it is "we have nothng to gain" and you know what they are right, the same as the hogs have nothing to gain from playing asu. recruiting, it will not help the hogs in recruiting, it would only help asu.

malzhanista

Post brand cereals don't keep frankie regular?

I can't think of any better reason, seeing as how franks' public reasoning is that it would divide the state.
He's obviously lying about that, as he's done everything within his power to divide the state the last few years.

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

UhOhioHog

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on July 03, 2007, 06:18:23 pm

I appreciate a good point and a good argument.  You make a valid point regarding financials and SOS to a degree.  To counter the helping ULM and attendance point.  Why not play one of our "away" games at home?  They get nothing more than gate numbers.  All proceeds (except arse whooping fee) go to Arkansas.

The reason the Hogs don't play ASU is simple.  The Hogs are the show in Arkansas.  Playing ASU opens the door to another debacle like "The Citadel".  A few of those creates an in state challenge to their loyal fan base.  Eventually the fear is having two in state programs of significance.

To Arkansas that would be a disaster.  To ASU a dream come true.  The UofA does not wish for that to ever occur and to insure that, avoid the situation. 

Sao Ming

Quote from: Mark Lericos on July 03, 2007, 05:44:36 pm
   On the surface it looks elitist on the Hogs part. You could play ASU, UALR, UCA, beat them, and then the paychecks stay in-state... which is good for everyone.  The State of Arkansas likes to portray they are on an island from the rest of the SEC in recruiting and such.  Well the state should unify in that sense and help each other out. 

I know this, if I payed for season tickets, and saw those 4 non-conference games, I'd be ticked. They all stink as far as interest.

You know Mark, you have presented some compelling arguments.  Hard to argue with it once you consider all the elements. 

Maybe they should move LSU to Fayetteville and ASU to the day after Thanksgiving game.  (ducking)
They will move LSU one day anyway.

gomersnerd

It's time to burn a lower case "t" in his yard to tell him "It's time for you to go".

WilsonHog

I would go at a game against Arkansas State.

I won't be going to Troy, Florida International, Chattanooga, or North Texas.

slopinhogs

so long,good bye i hate to see you leave but you must go so long good bye Frank . time changes everything. maybe one day we will have the foresight to keep out monmey in the wstate and help out schools instead of someon else's. i say play State what ever they choose to be called. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Mark Lericos

I seriously doubt ASU poses a threat to the Razorbacks fan base. One upset win would not alter things. And none of you find it sad ASU has to leave the state to play an SEC team? So Tennessee has the stones to play them and Arkansas doesn't?

It's not about "helping" ASU.  Playing them generates more interest, more money, a better atmosphere at games, etc.  It's just a good thing to do.  Heck, play UCA. You've already shown you have no problem scheduling I-AA... why not them?

The logic does not compute. And if you look at other national programs... you'll see the truth.

Mark Lericos

Quote from: donewithdale on July 03, 2007, 06:32:22 pm
Is Ole Miss and Miss St elitist to S Miss?  Bama elitist to UAB?  Was LSU elitist before they were forced into playing in state programs?  Was Ohio St elitist all those years in between games with Cincinnati? 

This situation has not been unique to Arkansas.  And all of the states mentioned above have a higher to much higher population yet the states' big programs have resisted or avoided playing in state competition.

It gets old hearing or reading about those trying to paint the UA athletic dept as being in the wrong for not playing little ASU.  ASU is not the UA's responsibility to help.

No, Ole Miss and MSU suck... therefore playing smaller teams is dangerous (in-state or not).  Look at Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina.  They all do it.  Best example:

Clemson-   is 30 minutes from Furman (I-AA powerhouse), and 40 minutes from Wofford (I-AA very good program).  They've played them both over the last 5 years. Furman gave them a run for 3 quarters before losing by 12 I think.  Wofford got shellacked.  But fans and people in the state gave the Tigers props for NOT scheduling out-of-state cupcakes.  Not only were they in-state, but good in-state programs. And that is a good p-r move.

Sao Ming

OU plays Tulsa this year, me thinks...

Ponder.

lymanhawg

well we have 3rd easiest schedule this year with tenn chat as our easiest game
texas has 10 easiest schedule this year with Arkansas State their easiest game
don't think they would help sos
although I don't mind if we play asu or not

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: Mark Lericos on July 03, 2007, 05:56:22 pm

the idea of routing ASU is a bit silly.  Watch how Troy does against the Hogs in two months. Then tell me they are "sparing" the Indians from a rout each year.   ;D

Exactly. Also, it's different if you get routed and you are supposed to get routed . . . no big loss, really but a wealth of experience (and cash) gained. But, wow . . . if the little guy wins, it can be huge for that school and its football program. The benefit far outweighs the risk, as I see it. I wish we would play ASU but we are asking that decision to be made by the guys who ran from the NIT with their tails between their legs. In my opinion, a true champion takes on all comers.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

Coondog Hog

Things between UofA and ASU are as they should be.  Arkansas gains nothing by playing them there is one major sports university in this state and absolutely no reason to validate ASU by treating them like one.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

HeathWimp

Lericos,

Are you trying to get fired?  Or are you about to take another job?

As far as the subject of the thread, I have finally come around to the idea of playing them.  However, they (ASU) are apparently pretty classless fans.  Remember when they Lady Indians beat the Lady 'Backs in that WNIT game?  The ASU fans rushed the court.  I thinked that one of them even flipped off that guy that is our Women's athletic director.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

budcampbellfan

Broyles not only refuses to play ASU, he would do away with ASU's athletics entirely if he could.  That is why he enters into a long term contract with La Monroe to have their home games in WMS.  Helps their recruiting against ASU.  Also schedules SEMO in ASU's back yard.  He hates ASU and schedules all around them and all their rivals.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

bigyellowdog

Arizona State would add to the strength of schedule for both basketball and football.  It would be a great roadtrip as well.   ;)

RedSatinHog

Quote from: dalasater on July 03, 2007, 05:36:17 pm
I'd like to see it.  But, if ASU wants to play the Hogs, I think they should sign at least a 5 year contract!  I just don't see it happening; it would be a good move for ASU, whether they won or lost, but I think the Hogs would get a negative wrap if they throttled them (like they should).

They'd get no worse of a rap than Georgia gets when they play Georgia Southern, or LSU for playing any of a number of hyphen schools within their states.

I like the idea of a 5-year deal.  The Razorbacks would beat the barjesus out of the "whatever their mascot's gonna be now" each time, and we quit having to listen to ASU fans whine about never getting a shot at the Hogs head to head.  A basketball series would probably be more interesting, though.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on July 03, 2007, 09:45:02 pm
It's good for the state

Tell me what's so great about it Mark.

That's the one that always makes my eyes roll back.  It's always been the major talking point put out by the pro-ASU crowd.

"It's good for the state" decrypted means, "it's good for A-State".

oldbear

Quote from: harrisburghog on July 03, 2007, 06:23:00 pm
keeping the money in state thing is bogus, visiting teams are paid from ticket sales, if you are that upset about the money going out of state dont go . asu shoud play uca, mentioned that to asu fans and it is "we have nothng to gain" and you know what they are right, the same as the hogs have nothing to gain from playing asu. recruiting, it will not help the hogs in recruiting, it would only help asu.

I don't have a problem with Arkansas playing ASU.  In fact, I agree that it would generate more interest and more money than some of the other OOC games.  However, I also think ASU has no argument for getting to play Arkansas as long as they continue to snub UCA.  When ASU puts their money where there mouth is (figuratively of course as I know they can't pay since they are not a wealthy program), then I would agree that there should be an outcry for the UA/ASU game.  Until then ASU should just shut up.

VoR

ASU may be redheaded stepchildren, but by golly, they're our redheaded stepchildren, I would much rather it be us that slaps the tar out of them then Bama, Auburn, or 1 of the Miss schools, and honestly, if we are going to help anyone out with their "attendance" (ULM), I'd much rather see it be ASU.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

VoR

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 03, 2007, 10:04:18 pm
Quote from: PorkOpine on July 03, 2007, 05:52:28 pm
Quote from: BigDeal on July 03, 2007, 05:46:59 pm
Arkansas should play Arkansas State. However, the games should always be played on Arkansas' home field just like the other Sun Belt schools.

Arkansas plays ULM in War Memorial.  I would expect them to play ASU there as well.

And isn't ULM the designated home team in WMS, so they'll get to count the 50k fans there toward retaining Division I status?
Not sure if it was every year or every other, but yes ULM got to count attendance to retain D-1 status.  :puke:
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

hirebutchdavis

We don't play ASU because it could hurt recruiting.  Florida St used to be a womans college and look at them now.  ASU has everything to gain and u of a has nothing to gain.

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 03, 2007, 10:04:18 pm
Quote from: PorkOpine on July 03, 2007, 05:52:28 pm
Quote from: BigDeal on July 03, 2007, 05:46:59 pm

Arkansas plays ULM in War Memorial.  I would expect them to play ASU there as well.

And isn't ULM the designated home team in WMS, so they'll get to count the 50k fans there toward retaining Division I status?
You are most certainly correct, Scott.

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: oldbear on July 03, 2007, 09:59:53 pm
Quote from: harrisburghog on July 03, 2007, 06:23:00 pm

I don't have a problem with Arkansas playing ASU.  In fact, I agree that it would generate more interest and more money than some of the other OOC games.  However, I also think ASU has no argument for getting to play Arkansas as long as they continue to snub UCA.  When ASU puts their money where there mouth is (figuratively of course as I know they can't pay since they are not a wealthy program), then I would agree that there should be an outcry for the UA/ASU game.  Until then ASU should just shut up.
The only thing I have to disagree about, oldbear, is the fact that both Arkansas and Arkansas are Division I schools in all sports, while UCA is in the process of making the full switch to Division I-AA in football and I-A in the remaining sports. Playing UCA once in a while in football would OK for A-State, but not all the time.
However, when it comes to basketball, I would like nothing better than to have Arkansas, ASU, UALR, UCA and UAPB -- and even throw in one of the D-II schools from time to time -- for a nice little basketball classic at Alltel Arena. Split the tickets, split the pot, and have a two-day tourney with three games both days.

Mark Lericos

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on July 03, 2007, 09:45:02 pm
It's good for the state

Tell me what's so great about it Mark.

Actually a lot. Most of them are in the thread if you want to read it. If you would like to improve the national view of Arkansas, a good start would be to improve the perception that this state is a divided mess and couldn't care less about each other. Auburn may not like Troy, but they'll play them every couple years to show, A. Alabama schools can play each other and share the wealth without jealousy and bickering. B.  It's interesting and makes the usually boring non-conference beating more intriguing for the fans.

So, to summarize... THE FANS BENEFIT, THE SCHOOLS BENEFIT, THE STATE BENEFITS, EVERY.....ONE.... BENEFITS........ I can write it in Mandarin if you like.   ;)

ThinkPig

Because Broyles prefers the Nebraska model to the Iowa model.  No in-state rivalry vs. one major in-state rivalry.

Iowa v Iowa State, however, pits two major conference teams against one another.

If ASU were a member of power conference, Arkansas would have to play them.  As it is, they are a poor cousin. 

That's just the way it is.

He also probably fears the Mississippi model. Two inferior members of a power conference (specifically the SEC) competing for recruits in the same small state with divided loyalties.