Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas State = New Mascot!

Started by MobHog, June 19, 2007, 02:58:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jj202020

ASU Castrators

There's some anti-Nutt going on there---the folks in Jonesboro (and every other part of the state that the UA ignores should love it.).

Prosciutto

ASU is not calling indians a bad name. If they became the ASU WHITE GUYS then some ethnic group would complain because their name was NOT used.

AFWarrior83

Is FSU going to change their name too?  ASU could have a Coyote mascot maybe...
Hogville member since 2005.

Hoghole

Weak in a candy-ass kind of way.

HeathWimp

My old boss was a "proud" ASU graduate. 

His English and grammar were terrible.  I can't believe that he has a 4 year degree.

In honor of him, I vote for "ASU Fighting Slapnutts."
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

gomersnerd

stupid thing is the ncaa headquarters are in Indianapolis, Indiana. Seems they should move before they  ask for changes to be made.
It's time to burn a lower case "t" in his yard to tell him "It's time for you to go".

judgeroyswine

I've always kinda favored "The ASU Fightin' Boll Weevils."
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

cardinalhawg

Quote from: MobHog on June 19, 2007, 02:58:13 pm
The Board of Trustees just voted to get rid of the nickname "Indian" & "Indian Family".......

http://www.asuindians.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7200&ATCLID=925876

The city of Jonesboro doesnt seem to really care! What would Fayetteville and the state of Arkansas do if the University of Arkansas was forced to change from the hogs to something else!?!?! How would you personally feel??
Quote from: donewithdale on June 19, 2007, 03:00:39 pm
The Board of Trustees just voted to get rid of the nickname "Indian" & "Indian Family".......

The city of Jonesboro doesnt seem to really care! What would Fayetteville and the state of Arkansas do if the University of Arkansas was forced to change from the hogs to something else!?!?! How would you personally feel??

I think its stupid.  PC is out of control. 

I agree that the political correctness stuff is a way overboard, but Indians is a very ordinary name for a team name.  Something a little more unsual and flashy will be better.

Newport Hog

ASU- wanna be University of Arkansas Razorbacks.  Really who cares its the indians LOL, Sunbelt always hating on the hogs because we have nice things and they have gheeto things.  

Newport Hog

ASU is not changing cuz its the right thang to do their changing cuz the indians name and colors sux and they think if they get a cool mascots name they be bigger and better than the UA and Razorbacks.  It drives them.

Brand X Hog Fan

Some people need to get over themselves. Cowboys should be changed because it stereotypes cowboys who no longer ride horses and wear 10 gallon hats. They ride 4 wheelers and wear ball caps nowdays.

The nation started its descent into PC hell when they forced Ole Miss to get rid of the Stars and Bars.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

Nuttcutter

How about the ASU Red Whine.  One side of the stadium could yell "Boo" and the other could yell "Hoo."   Seriously, they are getting the shaft on this one.

HamHands

Quote from: slopinhogs on June 19, 2007, 04:25:19 pm
how about the river hawks

I drank beer with a Hawk and that name offends me!
One day at a time.

Fayetnam

beansandtaters

How bout the Arkansas State "Only Sun Belt Team Not On Arkansas' Schedule"? Too long?

chortle

Quote from: HeathWimp on June 19, 2007, 06:06:09 pm

His English and grammar were terrible.  I can't believe that he has a 4 year degree.

I had a boss that had her bachelor's and master's from ASU. She couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time.

I swear, they should just let you come to campus one day, write a check for the amount of 4 years tuition, hand you a piece of paper and send you on your way.

Lanlord

Quote from: judgeroyswine on June 19, 2007, 06:40:42 pm
I've always kinda favored "The ASU Fightin' Boll Weevils."

I kinda thought the "Fightin Flatlanders" fit too.

JEM

don't let PETA know 

BRizzleDizzle

boll weevels is already taking by another university in arkansas

judgeroyswine

Quote from: BRizzleDizzle on June 19, 2007, 09:36:41 pm
boll weevels is already taking by another university in arkansas

How sad is that?
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

porker69

This just goes to show our nation has become so politically correct that it's embarrassment. It brings out insecurity to the limit. ASU, Ole Miss, Illinois, LA Monroe & others all have to suffer because of it. The NCAA already "tried" to do the same with FSU, but FSU told them to screw off in a large document of how asinine it is to change the name of a school mascot, which the NCAA agreed upon.

cityhog

Quote from: Seahawk4ever on June 19, 2007, 07:00:53 pm
Some people need to get over themselves. Cowboys should be changed because it stereotypes cowboys who no longer ride horses and wear 10 gallon hats. They ride 4 wheelers and wear ball caps nowdays.

The nation started its descent into PC hell when they forced Ole Miss to get rid of the Stars and Bars.

I'm sure all the black kids really enjoyed playing at a stadium full of crazy white people waving the confederate flag. 

CORZRBACKFAN

ASU was completely irrelevant when I lived in Arkansas, so I could have cared less what happened to them. No respect, no disrespect towards them. That has changed. I have absolutely no respect for an institution that gives in to such stupid political correctness. Not only are they irrelevant, they now have proven that they have no balls....
-"One has to learn havin' fun is just smilin' through
those changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes. "

-Jimmy Buffett

oldtimerhog

Quote from: donewithdale on June 19, 2007, 03:00:39 pm

I think its stupid.  PC is out of control. 

Yeah, they should change the mascot to red-skinned indians!
Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!

TheSausageKing

ASU Mosquitos
ASU Cottonmouths
ASU Rice Bandits

Porkranger

YellvilleHog

Auron12

First of all I would just like to state that I am as big a hog fan as the rest of you. since the day I was old enough to think about my college career I wanted to go to Fayetteville and be a razorback. Unfortunately I was not blessed with the resources to afford to live there so I was forced to consider other options. I am now an Indian. Jonesboro is only about 30 minutes from where I live so I am able to live at home while I attend school. I am still a razorback fan and always will be, but I also cheer for the Indians. It pains me to see my fellow hog fans put down ASU while there are so many here that cheer the hogs on. I am an athletic training major at ASU so I am around these student-athletes a lot; especially the football team. I see the hard work they go through everyday during spring practices, two-a-days, and the season and to see comments like HOGish made makes me sick. Yes HOGish, we have athletics, and while they are not as skilled and renowned as the hogs they still work hard to be the best they can be. And no Newport Hog, we are not a joke and the Indian athletes do not want to be called razorbacks because they are proud Indians. In fact, the majority of our athletes cheer on the hogs just as I do. bd39 is correct. Most of jonesboro does not care about the Indians because they care about the hogs. I wish they would care about both. I hate seeing the stands only half full at games and I wish we could have more support here. The few Indian fans who believe that ASU should play Arkansas are wrong. That is two different levels of skill and talent, and exactly why I cannot understand why the two sides cannot pull for each other. Some do, like me, but a lot don't as some of you have proven in this thread. I not pulling for absolute love of the Indians here. All I want is for some people here to show a little more respect for ASU's student athletes instead of making fun that they don't exist, and a little more respect for ASU students like myself whom study and earn their education instead of this:
Quote from: chortle on June 19, 2007, 09:25:28 pm

I had a boss that had her bachelor's and master's from ASU. She couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time.

I swear, they should just let you come to campus one day, write a check for the amount of 4 years tuition, hand you a piece of paper and send you on your way.

hogball33

YellvilleHog

hawaiianhogster

We live in a GAY world. It's going to get worse.

Conway Cool Daddy

ASU Beanfield Bandits

I do like Rey's Engine suggestion though.

ScotchHog

There's a reason all modern mascot choices are some variation of Hawks, Eagles, Tigers, etc.  University lawyers highly discourage anything else.  Too much chance that something will 'become' offensive in the future.  ASU will undoubtedly go with one of these generic names. 

Personally, I think they should become the ASU Jessica Albas.  There's a slight chance that such an act would get her to show up at a game.  But only once, of course.

Always waiting

ksrazorback

They should keep the name ASU Indians - "The Riders" just add the riders, that way they could keep the name but the meaning change.

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/

Razorbacks:
"I think they like the fact that we're going to play a little bit more physical style of football, play downhill, put on your big boy pants and love to play the game with physicality."

Southern Wisdom ~ 42.7 Percent of all statistics are made up on the spot!!
Go Deep Go Razorbacks...

BartIV

I just heard on 103.7 the buzz that the original mascot for Arkansas St. was the Gorilla and it was changed in 1925.  Just Bring it back.

Arkansas St. Gorillas.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: Auron12 on June 20, 2007, 12:10:23 am
     First of all I would just like to state that I am as big a hog fan as the rest of you. since the day I was old enough to think about my college career I wanted to go to Fayetteville and be a razorback. Unfortunately I was not blessed with the resources to afford to live there so I was forced to consider other options. I am now an Indian. Jonesboro is only about 30 minutes from where I live so I am able to live at home while I attend school. I am still a razorback fan and always will be, but I also cheer for the Indians. It pains me to see my fellow hog fans put down ASU while there are so many here that cheer the hogs on. I am an athletic training major at ASU so I am around these student-athletes a lot; especially the football team. I see the hard work they go through everyday during spring practices, two-a-days, and the season and to see comments like HOGish made makes me sick. Yes HOGish, we have athletics, and while they are not as skilled and renowned as the hogs they still work hard to be the best they can be. And no Newport Hog, we are not a joke and the Indian athletes do not want to be called razorbacks because they are proud Indians. In fact, the majority of our athletes cheer on the hogs just as I do. bd39 is correct. Most of jonesboro does not care about the Indians because they care about the hogs. I wish they would care about both. I hate seeing the stands only half full at games and I wish we could have more support here. The few Indian fans who believe that ASU should play Arkansas are wrong. That is two different levels of skill and talent, and exactly why I cannot understand why the two sides cannot pull for each other. Some do, like me, but a lot don't as some of you have proven in this thread. I not pulling for absolute love of the Indians here. All I want is for some people here to show a little more respect for ASU's student athletes instead of making fun that they don't exist, and a little more respect for ASU students like myself whom study and earn their education instead of this:

You are about 50% correct in your post.  The rest is plain wrong.

As for the other morons putting down ASU grads, they couldn't BE more wrong.  You think there aren't a ton of UA grads that don't have the best grammar in the world?  This is Arkansas after all.  Make your petty little athletics jokes all you want, but drop the name calling otherwise.  Some of this state's finest political and business leaders are ASU grads not to mention the largest portion of our television on-air personalities.  ASU is a fine university as are many others in this state.  I had several friends in high school that could barely even complete the ACT and they received degrees from UA in 4 years.  That isn't the norm, but it illustrates that ALL collleges have some grads that don't portray the image that alums would prefer.

Now, back to athletics.

HeathWimp

Quote from: Kicking Wing on June 20, 2007, 08:40:00 am

As for the other morons putting down ASU grads, they couldn't BE more wrong.  You think there aren't a ton of UA grads that don't have the best grammar in the world?  This is Arkansas after all.  Make your petty little athletics jokes all you want, but drop the name calling otherwise.  Some of this state's finest political and business leaders are ASU grads not to mention the largest portion of our television on-air personalities.  ASU is a fine university as are many others in this state.  I had several friends in high school that could barely even complete the ACT and they received degrees from UA in 4 years.  That isn't the norm, but it illustrates that ALL collleges have some grads that don't portray the image that alums would prefer.

Now, back to athletics.

Thanks for the edumcation.   You done told me, ya did.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

HeathWimp

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on June 20, 2007, 07:29:00 am
ASU Beanfield Bandits

I do like Rey's Engine suggestion though.

Beanfield Bandits, that's a good one.

+ 1 for you.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: HeathWimp on June 20, 2007, 08:47:43 am

Now, back to athletics.

Thanks for the edumcation.   You done told me, ya did.
I can't help you.  I have to have something to work with.

HeathWimp

June 20, 2007, 09:21:30 am #90 Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 09:24:28 am by HeathWimp
Quote from: Kicking Wing on June 20, 2007, 09:04:02 am

Now, back to athletics.

Are you supposed to end your sentences with a preposition?

Look, I see your point, but I am entitled to my opinion.  I think that ASU is a crappy school.  It's just an opinion.  You are certainly allowed to have the opinion that my opinions are bunk.  This is just a message board.  It's not like we're hammering out a peace treaty here.

booogaga

GO HOGS!

cityhog

June 20, 2007, 09:31:58 am #92 Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 09:41:53 am by cityhog
All of these people who are syaing PC is out of control and what about the tradition, ie the Indians have always been the Indians right?  WRONG.  As someone pointed out they were the Gorillas at one time.  I mean it was just horrible when they made Ole Miss stop flying the stars and bars at games.  Did you know that Mississippi didn't even have the stars and bars on their state flag until the 50's?  Let's see what was going on during the 50's?  Tradition my eye.  They could go back to flag they had for the first 100 years of their statehood.  THAT would be a return to tradition. Saying the PC thing is going overboard is accurate in some cases, but in some instances it is a nod to basic human dignity. Care to join the human race?

BTW - in re. to the comment about shouldn't cowboys be offended because they no longer ride horses and wear 10 gallon hats.  No, because Cowboys, in the movies, stories, legends, and even the games we played as kids were portayed as the GOOD guys.  Indians were portrayed as the bad guys, savages. 

Kicking Wing

Quote from: HeathWimp on June 20, 2007, 09:21:30 am

Now, back to athletics.

Look, I see your point, but I am entitled to my opinion.  I think that ASU is a crappy school.  It's just an opinion.  You are certainly allowed to have the opinion that my opinions are bunk.  This is just a message board.  It's not like we're hammering out a peace treaty here.
How about "I have to have something to work with, a-hole"?

But seriously, it's more than just an opinion when you run down someone's education and all the people who graduated from or work at that institution.

It ranks just below insulting someone's family in my book.

How would you or other UA alums react if someone on a Vanderbilt board was going on about UA being a horrible school with stupid grads?

It's just a message board, but a lot of people read it and I suppose we could all just ignore every single comment that we disagree with, but then what's the point of having a message board?

HeathWimp

Quote from: Kicking Wing on June 20, 2007, 09:55:14 am
Quote from: HeathWimp on June 20, 2007, 09:21:30 am

Now, back to athletics.

How about "I have to have something to work with, a-hole"?

But seriously, it's more than just an opinion when you run down someone's education and all the people who graduated from or work at that institution.

It ranks just below insulting someone's family in my book.

How would you or other UA alums react if someone on a Vanderbilt board was going on about UA being a horrible school with stupid grads?

It's just a message board, but a lot of people read it and I suppose we could all just ignore every single comment that we disagree with, but then what's the point of having a message board?

You could just as aribtrarily respond to every single comment with which you disagree.  Maybe you do that.  It's your life.

Although we are not protected by the First Amendment here, we enjoy some semblence of free speech.  I stand by my opinion that ASU is a crappy school.  You are not going to change my mind.

And who said that I am a UA alum?

Spiral_cut

How about the ASU Mouth Breathers?

cosmodrum

I hate the NCAA.

Let's rename them the Arkansas State Compliments. Or the ASU Happytimers. Maybe the ASU Huggiewuggies.
Can't offend anyone.

Native Americans have been called Indians for more than 500 years. And now that we've all but eradicated them from existence, let's make them feel better by banning the word Indian. That makes sense. I'm sure they feel better now.

We can't have differences. All differences are bad. Everyone is ___________ - American. No more blacks, whites, Indians, Chinese, Jews, etc.   

Ok Notre Dame, get ready! You're about to be the Fervently Disagreeing Irish-Americans!
Go away, batin'

grizzlyhawg

hmm...

Arkansas has had difficulties in the past when going head to head with ASU.  Nolan almost lost years ago and our Lady Backs got crushed by the Indians.  Maybe we should give them the Razorback and we can go back to being the Cardinals. 

NuttinItUp

I really could care less. If they want to change their mascot, then they can do whatever they want. Just don't mess with my Hog.

BumpieJohnson

Quote from: cosmodrum on June 20, 2007, 10:14:44 am
I hate the NCAA.

Let's rename them the Arkansas State Compliments. Or the ASU Happytimers. Maybe the ASU Huggiewuggies.
Can't offend anyone.

Native Americans have been called Indians for more than 500 years. And now that we've all but eradicated them from existence, let's make them feel better by banning the word Indian. That makes sense. I'm sure they feel better now.

We can't have differences. All differences are bad. Everyone is ___________ - American. No more blacks, whites, Indians, Chinese, Jews, etc.  

Ok Notre Dame, get ready! You're about to be the Fervently Disagreeing Irish-Americans!

So true +1