Air Raid

Started by AHiD, January 30, 2018, 01:29:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

I Am Smart

"Stupid is as stupid does" - Forrest Gump

steveaustin69

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on January 30, 2018, 11:54:23 pm
This is what's known as top tier trolling

Trolls don't admit they're trolling. You don't know football, made that known and rightfully got killed for it.

RME

1. Trolling is witty and clever. Nothing in the original post is witty or clever.

2. If you have to come back and tell everyone it's trolling, it's not trolling.

3. Reread the first two points five times, the amount of Super Bowl wins Tom Brady has.

4. You tried to make a legit comparison, got blown out of the water, and are now trying to cover your tracks. Yikes.

Hog Fan from Camden

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: 3Scoreand10 on January 30, 2018, 08:03:46 pm
D Royal once said that when you throw the ball, 3 things can happen, and 2 of them are bad.

Well, Coach Royal was an idiot, so...

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on January 30, 2018, 01:29:04 pm
Why does everyone on Hogville say that you need to run the ball to win in the SEC? If you look at teams like the New England Patriots, you'll notice that they aren't much of a running team. However, they're able to compete for Super Bowls almost every year. If you can play for Super Bowls without much of a running game, then you shouldn't need one to compete in the SEC.
Way to light Hogville's hair on fire. lol     "GO HOGS"

jimmur74

The patriots control the line of scrimmage. The premise you must run the ball in the SEC is built around controlling the line of scrimmage. Clearly Arkansas has not been able to consistently do this. The Patriot example is a terrible yet eye opening example. Until Arkansas gets the people up front on both sides of the ball they will continue to struggle whether its Running or Passing

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on January 30, 2018, 01:29:04 pm
Why does everyone on Hogville say that you need to run the ball to win in the SEC? If you look at teams like the New England Patriots, you'll notice that they aren't much of a running team. However, they're able to compete for Super Bowls almost every year. If you can play for Super Bowls without much of a running game, then you shouldn't need one to compete in the SEC.

razorsharptusk

Balance.  See the last couple of years of hog ball and you will see we had none.  That is a problem.  Balance.
GO HOGS!!

I Am Smart

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 31, 2018, 08:22:19 am
1. Trolling is witty and clever. Nothing in the original post is witty or clever.

2. If you have to come back and tell everyone it's trolling, it's not trolling.

3. Reread the first two points five times, the amount of Super Bowl wins Tom Brady has.

4. You tried to make a legit comparison, got blown out of the water, and are now trying to cover your tracks. Yikes.

RIP In Piece
"Stupid is as stupid does" - Forrest Gump

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Russ22 on January 31, 2018, 07:52:44 am
(1) Why is an incomplete pass bad?
(2) Why are you worried about what some coach from the 1960s said about it?

Football has evolved tremendously since Royal offered ~100 scholarships/year just to starve teams in this region of players that could be utilized in beating Texas.

They weren't the only ones with that many on scholarship. Heck even we did.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

3Scoreand10

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on January 31, 2018, 09:19:59 am
Well, Coach Royal was an idiot, so...

SO, he did kick Arkansas butt nearly every year.

AHiD

My name...is Jerruh

jm

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on January 30, 2018, 01:45:14 pm
Sure, they might be "efficient" at running the ball. But the Patriots often run when the defense is expecting pass because Tom Brady will have just thrown 3 first downs in a row.

My point being, what prevents us from doing this?

We lack the greatest QB of all time. Do you really think we can just find some guy with a right arm to immulate Brady? Maybe the Pats will let you take his Brady's position on the team if just anyone can do it!

lasthog

Quote from: DLUXHOG on January 30, 2018, 04:49:46 pm
What if.....  there was an "Ultimate Bowl" every year between the Super Bowl champions and the NCAA National Champions?    Would be interesting don't ya think?

Sorta like Superman V Batman.

AHiD

Quote from: jm on January 31, 2018, 02:47:28 pm
We lack the greatest QB of all time. Do you really think we can just find some guy with a right arm to immulate Brady? Maybe the Pats will let you take his Brady's position on the team if just anyone can do it!
Probably
My name...is Jerruh

Mjs84

You don't have to trick us into thinking you're a dumbass!

Brady is a Grrrrreeeeaaqaaaat QB, but without that HC, he could be a .500 QB.  New England knows how to find the weak spot in a defense and exploit it.  Run, Pass, don't matter.  The players execute.  Most of us watched the Falcons tear up the Pat's lines for 3 quarters + last Super Bowl but the Pats just kept doing what they were taught to do only with more and more intensity.  The Falcons finally folded and the Pats won.

You speak of how great the Pat's players are.  Now, if you could start a new NFL team and you could have anyone you wanted for each position, your choice, picking from every NFL team, how many Pat's players would be in your group.  What, maybe 2 or 3 at most.  They don't have the greatest players but they do have, most likely, the greatest team due to coaching.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: lasthog on January 31, 2018, 02:51:04 pm
Sorta like Superman V Batman.

Regardless, I absolutely guarantee that if the PTB were to put such an event on, it would have astronomical tv ratings...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

bennyl08

D Royal once said that when you throw the ball, 3 things can happen, and 2 of them are bad.

when you run the ball, 3 things can happen

1. You gain yards
2. You get tackled for a loss/no gain.
3. You fumble.

2 of those are bad as well.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

LRRandy

i always thought that was a Woody Hayes quote.
This is fun, isn't it.

upperdeck_hawg

I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

MuskogeeHogFan

Right or wrong, here is what I found and it all seems to originate with Woody Hayes and passed down through others.

Lastly, in 2005 a journalist who was interviewing Darrell Royal stated that Royal gave credit to Woody Hayes for the saying. Here is a slightly longer excerpt [DRWH]:

"The things I said came from my upbringing in southwest Oklahoma during the Dust Bowl," Royal said. "I shined shoes in a barbershop. Now, you can hear some stuff in a barbershop. You can pick up some wisdom there. I'm just a model of the people I've been around in my life, and Woody was one of those people."

Royal credits Ohio State's Hayes, his contemporary and friend, with being the first one to say three things can happen on a pass play and two of them are bad.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/10/04/pass-3-things/
Go Hogs Go!

HogBreath

Quote from: LRRandy on February 02, 2018, 06:57:49 pm
i always thought that was a Woody Hayes quote.
It is.... I think.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?