Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Started by WilsonHog, September 24, 2017, 10:10:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Factoring out the sacks, that's how many yards per rush we averaged yesterday. We gained 262 yards on 38 carries. Pass pro was horrible, but our run game was very productive. Whaley average 6.3 ypc, Williams 6.2, Hayden 5.9, and Kelley 5.2.

jst01

Even all the stats that have supported B.B. are starting to not work in his favor. I.e. I think I heard a stat on the radio that when his teams rush for 150+ yards that he is way above .500 winning %.  Now even that is starting to not matter.

ricepig

I wasn't able to watch much of the game yesterday, just bits and pieces as my mother is in the hospital/ICU. I thought we ran the ball pretty well, but got gashed on defense yesterday. To me, anytime you score 43 in regulation, you should win.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 24, 2017, 10:10:47 am
Factoring out the sacks, that's how many yards per rush we averaged yesterday. We gained 262 yards on 38 carries. Pass pro was horrible, but our run game was very productive. Whaley average 6.3 ypc, Williams 6.2, Hayden 5.9, and Kelley 5.2.

Even with the Sack yardage counted we went from 4.2 YPC vs. TCU to 5.0 vs. A&M. That's improvement.
Go Hogs Go!

theFlyingHog

Chase in the wildhog and CK in there gave us something we've been needing. The run game was def there. If the passing game had been on a little more then we could have put up 70 on aggie. For the most part our D was good but they took advantage of each and every one of our busted plays

hogblitz

In the grand scheme of things, what does it matter?  Going into the season,  my opinion was that the TCU and A&M games were the most crucial games of the season.  He lost them both.  We aren't even into the meat of the SEC Schedule.  Quite frankly, I would rather win 3 than 6 to ensure that change is made.  It's a sad state of affairs.   Like Wilson said in another thread, it is about HOPE.  A coaching change has to be made for many to find that hope again for our program.  I would NOT trade being able to have HOPE for next season for squeaking out a 6 win season this season and going to Shreveport.   I know some will disagree with this but it is my opinion. 

porkrindjimmy

Prayers for your momma Rice.

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: ricepig on September 24, 2017, 10:23:34 am
I wasn't able to watch much of the game yesterday, just bits and pieces as my mother is in the hospital/ICU. I thought we ran the ball pretty well, but got gashed on defense yesterday. To me, anytime you score 43 in regulation, you should win.

PRJ

ND

I think part of the problem is that our offensive line is too slow.  It causes our backs to have to slow down before getting to the second level.  There were several instances where our backs had to adjust or try and force their way through holes.  They can't turn the corners either because the Guards and Tackles take too long to pull. 

If our RBs could get to full speed before hitting the second level or cutting the corners, we'd see a lot more yardage, but they're having to tippy-toe and then try to juke their way through.  If you go back and watch some of Jones/McFadden's more spectacular runs, they were almost always at, or close to, full speed by the time he got through the line.

The lack of quickness hurts our pass protection as well.  I saw many cases in which defensive linemen would literally stunt, feint and spin their way out of protection and collapse the pocket.  When your quarterback is sacked and your offensive linemen are just kind of standing there looking back over their shoulders like, "Uhhh..." ...there's a problem.

N

IronHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 24, 2017, 10:25:56 am
Even with the Sack yardage counted we went from 4.2 YPC vs. TCU to 5.0 vs. A&M. That's improvement.

aTm is a BAD defense

Arkansas shoulda scored 70 but hodge podge and all
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Dirty

Scoreboard?  What was that again! 

IronHog

Quote from: ND on September 24, 2017, 10:50:35 am
I think part of the problem is that our offensive line is too slow.  It causes our backs to have to slow down before getting to the second level.  There were several instances where our backs had to adjust or try and force their way through holes.  They can't turn the corners either because the Guards and Tackles take too long to pull. 

If our RBs could get to full speed before hitting the second level or cutting the corners, we'd see a lot more yardage, but they're having to tippy-toe and then try to juke their way through.  If you go back and watch some of Jones/McFadden's more spectacular runs, they were almost always at, or close to, full speed by the time he got through the line.

The lack of quickness hurts our pass protection as well.  I saw many cases in which defensive linemen would literally stunt, feint and spin their way out of protection and collapse the pocket.  When your quarterback is sacked and your offensive linemen are just kind of standing there looking back over their shoulders like, "Uhhh..." ...there's a problem.

N

S&C is horrible

ricepig

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 24, 2017, 10:50:18 am

PRJ

Appreciate it, 91 and went in for gallbladder surgery, but too much infection. She's back in a room today and slowly heading in the right direction.

Pigasaurus

If you score 43 points and lose, how do you blame the offense for anything?  Special teams and defense carry the load for the loss.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

toxichog

The best chance this team has to win games This year.........is to run, run , run, and occasionally mix in play action passing.  Pass protection and receiver are our weaknesses..........play to your strengths.

IronHog

Quote from: pigasaurus on September 24, 2017, 10:54:06 am
If you score 43 points and lose, how do you blame the offense for anything?  Special teams and defense carry the load for the loss.

It's not 1963

Michael_E_Davis

I'm sorry to hear about your mother.  My mother is 65,  and even though she isn't that old, and she is still healthy,  I am starting to think about what not having a mother would be like.  I will keep your mom in my thoughts,  I hope she pulls through whatever has her in the hospital.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

longpig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 24, 2017, 10:25:56 am

The numbers aren't the problem.  How many times has Bielema controlled the clock and had good stats,  but lost?  A LOT!  This HC doesn't win games, he produces stats and gets beat on a couple of key plays.  Always has and always will. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Dirty on September 24, 2017, 10:52:20 am
Scoreboard?  What was that again!

I'm pretty sure that we all know what the scoreboard read.

This thread is for pointing out positives and discussing how we might use those moving forward. If that requires depth of thought you are not capable of, we'll direct you to the child's board.

Boarcephus

Been my point for while.  Another thing, you saw what a weapon a good kick off man can be.  Every time they kicked off to us it was 5+ yards deep in the end zone with no return while the best we could do was reach the goal line.  I don't know what in the hell that last pooch kick, or whatever they they call it was.  I can see not wanting to give the guy another chance for a return but giving them the ball at the 50 is an idiot call.  At the very least do it the way they did it and drive a low, bouncing one to the 20. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Swestwill66

Positives? How about scoring in the red zone and short yardage situations? I think we were perfect in the red zone except for ot.

bphi11ips

Prayers for your mom, rice.  You missed an exciting game.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

MuskogeeHogFan

September 24, 2017, 11:25:54 am #22 Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 11:36:27 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Boarcephus on September 24, 2017, 11:05:15 am
Been my point for while.  Another thing, you saw what a weapon a good kick off man can be.  Every time they kicked off to us it was 5+ yards deep in the end zone with no return while the best we could do was reach the goal line.  I don't know what in the hell that last pooch kick, or whatever they they call it was.  I can see not wanting to give the guy another chance for a return but giving them the ball at the 50 is an idiot call.  At the very least do it the way they did it and drive a low, bouncing one to the 20. 

We have kicked into and through the EZ before and like you, that is a huge beef with me. I don't care for the strategic kicks that are supposed to be lofted really high in the air and ideally are supposed to drop inside the 10 in a corner of the field in order to give us a chance to cover and pin them inside the 20. Just kick the doggone thing out of the EZ and you remove every possibility of a return. Same with punts...kick it as far and as high as possible, but aim for the sideline, punt it out of bounds. No return.

And whatever you do, when you are facing a good offensive unit, you are in the 4th quarter with a few minutes remaining and are supposed to be protecting a 3 point lead, don't ever go for a short pooch kick on a KO that ends up setting them up at your own 49 yard line. Oh sure, if you recover it you look brilliant and are the daring play caller who just won the game for us, but what are the odds of that coming out in our favor? Too many variables and possibilities involved. Just kick it out of the EZ and make them start at their own 25. I like those odds a lot more than gambling with a pooch kick off.

But, I will say this...except for 5 plays yesterday, the defense gave up an average of just 3.3 yards p/play. That's good. The offense came alive in the 4th and had their best quarter moving the ball and scoring that I have seen in any game so far. Jonathan Nance is a big time receiver that can get open. We are going to need him especially if Cornelius has an achilles tendon injury. The TE's are turning out to be better receivers as well which is good since we only had 2 WR's (including Cornelius) make catches for positive yards yesterday. The run game came to life and we need that. And DeJon Harris and Greenlaw both had more tackles yesterday than any other single player for A&M. So it wasn't like it was all bad.
Go Hogs Go!

Danny J

Correct and the game before it was special teams and offense. The SC game? Who knows...that is the problem with CBB...inconsistency. Well except for special teams...it is consistently bad year after year. I have an idea? Why not spend more time working on special teams?

ricepig

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on September 24, 2017, 10:58:23 am
I'm sorry to hear about your mother.  My mother is 65,  and even though she isn't that old, and she is still healthy,  I am starting to think about what not having a mother would be like.  I will keep your mom in my thoughts,  I hope she pulls through whatever has her in the hospital.
Didn't mean to interject that into the thread, just saying I didn't watch every snap and was quantifying my thoughts based on what I did see. Appreciate the thoughts though, thanks.

DeltaBoy

Here you all a real sweet stat Coach broke his own unbeaten steak after a bye week!  Way to Go Bret!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ricepig

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 24, 2017, 01:31:30 pm
Here you all a real sweet stat Coach broke his own unbeaten steak after a bye week!  Way to Go Bret!

Except he lost his first 3 here at Arkansas coming off a bye week, don't know about his record at Wisconsin. Maybe you should stick to carpet......

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on September 24, 2017, 10:53:27 am
Appreciate it, 91 and went in for gallbladder surgery, but too much infection. She's back in a room today and slowly heading in the right direction.

Praying for your Mom. Sweet lady.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on September 24, 2017, 01:37:02 pm
Praying for your Mom. Sweet lady.

Thanks, she's still as sharp as a tack, I hope she can get over this.

ShadowHawg

Reminds me of Nutt near the end. Great running game that wasn't enough to consistently win tough games.

Oklahawg

Remember the old leadership/management mantra, "your strength is also your weakness"? (Can be stated backwards, obviously!)

CBB's stubborn insistence that things will work reveals that, yes, many of them will. But, others won't and he hasn't realized that quickly enough.

I would retool the offense behind Kelley and a run-first package. Fits the team strengths at RB, FB, TE, a bulldozer QB, the better-run-blocking-than-pass-blocking OL, and gives the WRs time to mature and become more physical. We saw some concessions to that possibility with the TE screens, Hayden at wildcat, and the Kelley Package. Now, how long until we see more? Better, a full transformation?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ShadowHawg

Quote from: ricepig on September 24, 2017, 01:36:24 pm
Except he lost his first 3 here at Arkansas coming off a bye week, don't know about his record at Wisconsin. Maybe you should stick to carpet......

Tv broadcast said he was undefeated coming off the bye week. Not saying they were right but he didn't just pull that from the ether. No need to be so rude.

ricepig

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 24, 2017, 01:41:45 pm
Tv broadcast said he was undefeated coming off the bye week. Not saying they were right but he didn't just pull that from the ether. No need to be so rude.

Well, before I'd make such a claim, I might double check, which is what I did.

http://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Gallery/Looking-back-at-Bret-Bielemas-six-games-with-Arkansas-Razorbacks-107662343

DeltaBoy

Quote from: ricepig on September 24, 2017, 01:36:24 pm

I just qouted the Media!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

GoHogzzGo

Offense scored 43 points. Despite my complaints of AA, the offense did its job. Loved our rushing game. The balance of Williams, Hayden, then KC on yardage was awesome. Throw in Jones on a couple sweeps, was great.

Learn how to coverage punt and kick offs. Don't allow 4 fifty plus yard plays. We win.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: ricepig on September 24, 2017, 01:45:53 pm
Well, before I'd make such a claim, I might double check, which is what I did.

http://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Gallery/Looking-back-at-Bret-Bielemas-six-games-with-Arkansas-Razorbacks-107662343

The point is he repeated a claim made by people who get paid to research these things. What kind of anal weirdo sits around researching claims they hear on a college football broadcast?

I think you should also be more thoughtful before acting rudely.

HogsonHicks

Our special teams have been a train wreck for years.  Football is a three-phase game, and ST has repeatedly screwed us in crucial situations/games.  Yesterday was a prime example.

That phase of the game won't get better until we get serious about it and assign a legitimate coach with legitimate responsibility to getting it better.  ST can't be an afterthought, yet that seems to be the way we've treated it under CBB.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 24, 2017, 01:40:50 pm
Remember the old leadership/management mantra, "your strength is also your weakness"? (Can be stated backwards, obviously!)

CBB's stubborn insistence that things will work reveals that, yes, many of them will. But, others won't and he hasn't realized that quickly enough.

I would retool the offense behind Kelley and a run-first package. Fits the team strengths at RB, FB, TE, a bulldozer QB, the better-run-blocking-than-pass-blocking OL, and gives the WRs time to mature and become more physical. We saw some concessions to that possibility with the TE screens, Hayden at wildcat, and the Kelley Package. Now, how long until we see more? Better, a full transformation?

I like Kelley but he may not be ready to take on that full responsibility. Remember, Bielema is under pressure and you have to think that he is going to play the best that he thinks that he has that can produce more wins. Kelley is the future and he can certainly be utilized in certain down and distance packages right now, but giving him the full blown reins when he may not be ready to read SEC defenses?

Additionally, because he isn't as laterally mobile as AA I think that we need to design passing plays that include a designed "hot receiver" like a RB or TE coming off a block in behind the LB's or out in the Flats, where he can easily turn and deliver the ball when he doesn't have the time to go through his progressions. Now why that isn't already a part of our designed scheme is a mystery to me and if it is, I haven't seen it. Can't imagine why that isn't there with a guy like Enos in a Pro Style.

We need to lean on our run offense because that is obviously developing, but we have to have some kind of meaningful passing game as well and we need to limit (as much as possible) the passing game to a "play-action" variety. Our QB's don't experience as much pressure early on in play-action as they do on straight drop back or shotgun. Let's help the O-Line. That's part of the adjustment when you know that you have a weakness. By utilizing this concept you can fake to a RB out of the backfield and they can chip a defender and slip in behind the LB's or out in the flat for that "hot receiver" that I spoke of earlier.

I would work Kelley in over time, giving him more and more snaps and exposing him to what he needs to learn. He looked great on Saturday but let's remember that those were limited packages specifically designed for him that were fairly simple and didn't require a great deal of him in terms of split second decisions.
Go Hogs Go!

elksnort

As upsetting as season is thus far, if the team can continue to improve and stick to their strengths, then they might win 7-8 games.

But.....will they?

azhog10

Run block also wasn't great. Why? Bc we killed multiple drives with holding penalties or false start penalties/illegal motion. While the line may have run blocked better we had more penalties and pass pro as you said was as bad as it's ever been.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 24, 2017, 01:48:44 pm
I just qouted the Media!

The media will turn on him when their bottom line starts to drop IRT sports reporting on the Hogs.

We've been thru the apologetic media shenanigans and don't see them going town that road again, to coin a phrase.
This is my non-signature signature.

ricepig

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 24, 2017, 01:52:39 pm
The point is he repeated a claim made by people who get paid to research these things. What kind of anal weirdo sits around researching claims they hear on a college football broadcast?

I think you should also be more thoughtful before acting rudely.

Because it had been discussed ad nauseam, Delta has more posts than anyone on the board, maybe he should read some others. Vern Lunquist called Hunter Henry, Henry Hunter, does it mean it was correct? I appreciate your concern for my posting, maybe you should put me on ignore.

ricepig

Quote from: elksnort on September 24, 2017, 02:23:58 pm
As upsetting as season is thus far, if the team can continue to improve and stick to their strengths, then they might win 7-8 games.

But.....will they?

As they say.....stay tuned.....

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: azhog10 on September 24, 2017, 02:25:39 pm
Run block also wasn't great. Why? Bc we killed multiple drives with holding penalties or false start penalties/illegal motion. While the line may have run blocked better we had more penalties and pass pro as you said was as bad as it's ever been.

Even with the negative yardage of the QB Sacks added in, I'll take 5.0 YPC in rushing game any day. Not great? It was pretty doggone good. We need to remember that "Pass Pro" involves different sets and schemes. We were really good out of "play action", not so good out of straight drop back.

And, "Pass Protection" involves more than the O-Line. I saw TE's and RB's miss blocks in Pass Pro yesterday but it is always the O-Line who ends up getting blamed. Mostly because regular fans aren't paying attention. That's not to say that we don't have pass pro problems with our O-Line at times, we certainly do, but it isn't 100% them.

On one drive yesterday I saw our QB stand in the pocket for a full 5-1/2 seconds before he was sacked and then get up and act like he had been betrayed. The following play he rolled out and with every opportunity to throw it away, he stood there instead and took yet another Sack. I was screaming, "get rid of it", but he took it on the chin waiting for someone to get open.

You can't expect the O-Line to block everyone when more are coming than they can account for and you certainly can't blame them when they have held their rushers for more than 3-1/2 seconds.
Go Hogs Go!

Tejano Jawg

Someone posted our total (with the sacks) last night, and I meant to do the math you just did. Those are solid numbers. That's a big positive. Our line was doing well for the running game yesterday...always makes you wonder why we didn't do it more. But it's hard to do when you're facing 3rd and longs.

The problem with our passing game is our ENTIRE passing game. Protection isn't good (that was Gene Chizik's top thing last night on the SEC Network), but Austin's feel for the pocket and his timing doesn't look good. And the receivers don't help. We might still be okay if one or two were clicking, at least we might have a chance. But when our line, QB and receivers are all sub-par, we'll have some tough days.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

HouSwine

Anybody expect the Texans to pooch kick that last one?

IronHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 24, 2017, 02:53:32 pm
Even with the negative yardage of the QB Sacks added in, I'll take 5.0 YPC in rushing game any day. Not great? It was pretty doggone good. We need to remember that "Pass Pro" involves different sets and schemes. We were really good out of "play action", not so good out of straight drop back.

And, "Pass Protection" involves more than the O-Line. I saw TE's and RB's miss blocks in Pass Pro yesterday but it is always the O-Line who ends up getting blamed. Mostly because regular fans aren't paying attention. That's not to say that we don't have pass pro problems with our O-Line at times, we certainly do, but it isn't 100% them.

On one drive yesterday I saw our QB stand in the pocket for a full 5-1/2 seconds before he was sacked and then get up and act like he had been betrayed. The following play he rolled out and with every opportunity to throw it away, he stood there instead and took yet another Sack. I was screaming, "get rid of it", but he took it on the chin waiting for someone to get open.

You can't expect the O-Line to block everyone when more are coming than they can account for and you certainly can't blame them when they have held their rushers for more than 3-1/2 seconds.

AT LEAST 50% of good pass pro is a QB that can anticipate and adjust to pressure in the pocket.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 24, 2017, 02:36:58 pm
The media will turn on him when their bottom line starts to drop IRT sports reporting on the Hogs.

We've been thru the apologetic media shenanigans and don't see them going town that road again, to coin a phrase.
stay tuned for BEING BRET BIELEMA PT II

Mo_Better_Hogs

Agree, I was happy with the running game. The numbers look good, but it passed the eye test too. And not skewed by one long run. All our backs ran pretty well.

What we have to do—see Muskogee's post—get the running game established so we can pass out of play-action. Watching Austin yesterday was painful. He looked confused when he was in the pocket, like he's never been there before. If all he does is take off, even if he doesn't turn it into a long gain, he's in a better position to throw it away. Or better yet, see something open up downfield. But let's just start with avoiding the sack.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: IronHog on September 24, 2017, 10:58:07 am

It's not 1963

It's a lot of pressure to expect the offense to score on every possession.  They have been a problem in recent games, but the defense and special teams were the biggest problems yesterday.