Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This Sums it Up for the State of the Program

Started by moses_007, September 24, 2017, 06:04:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

moses_007

What a true Razorback fan had to say tonight...which perfectly sums up where we are right now:

Like all of us, Frank Broyles was imperfect. But at a very early age, he decided to take a chance on a small, little known group of football players at a University most people had never heard of. That was in 1958.

He spent the rest of his life pouring his soul into making the Arkansas Razorbacks the pride of the state. First as Coach, then as Coach and Athletic Director, and finally as Athletic Director. He traveled every backroad of the state promoting the Razorbacks.

One of his greatest players went on to create the house the Razorbacks played in today.

And the state of the Razorback football program as it exists today does nothing to honor Broyles' passion. It is an embarrassment.

Jeff Long and Bret Bielema are the source of that embarrassment. They dishonor Broyles' legacy, imperfect as it may be. But more importantly they dishonor the Razorback program that is a source of pride for all true Arkansans; something neither Long or Bielema know anything about.

Until they are gone, Razorback Pride will be a ghost of its former self.

moses_007

A lot of people on here weren't born when Broyles coached the Razorbacks.  Many times I heard him say the defense "rose to the occasion," meaning they stopped their opponent from beating us.  The question is, when is this defense going to rise to the occasion?  They got gashed yesterday for 501 total yards.  Is the 3-4 working?

hogcard1964

Quote from: moses_007 on September 24, 2017, 06:04:54 am
What a true Razorback fan had to say tonight...which perfectly sums up where we are right now:

Like all of us, Frank Broyles was imperfect. But at a very early age, he decided to take a chance on a small, little known group of football players at a University most people had never heard of. That was in 1958.

He spent the rest of his life pouring his soul into making the Arkansas Razorbacks the pride of the state. First as Coach, then as Coach and Athletic Director, and finally as Athletic Director. He traveled every backroad of the state promoting the Razorbacks.

One of his greatest players went on to create the house the Razorbacks played in today.

And the state of the Razorback football program as it exists today does nothing to honor Broyles' passion. It is an embarrassment.

Jeff Long and Bret Bielema are the source of that embarrassment. They dishonor Broyles' legacy, imperfect as it may be. But more importantly they dishonor the Razorback program that is a source of pride for all true Arkansans; something neither Long or Bielema know anything about.

That's a great post.

+1000

Inhogswetrust

September 24, 2017, 06:21:19 am #3 Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 11:40:20 am by Inhogswetrust

What the heck are you talking about. There IS an honor to JFB. It's a big statue. You might not like Jeff or Bret but at least don't post blatant lies.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

moses_007

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 24, 2017, 06:21:19 am
What the heck are you talking about. There IS an honor to LFB. It's a big statue. You might not like Jeff or Bret but at least don't post blatant lies.
You say this is a blatant lie?  I don't think so. 

grassroothog

Yes. And that's very sad to me. I was 11 yrs old when I watched my first Razorback
game on tv. The 'big shootout'. And although I cried at the end , I became a Hog Fan that day. In those days the whole state was behind the Hogs. You could not stick your head outside and not see a 'GO HOGS BEAT TEXAS' sign. Todays youngsters have never experienced that atmosphere.
    When we hire the next HC, the PTB need to open the wallet and hire the biggest name in college footbal. Challenge them. Winning at Bama is easy. Building a winning football program at Arkansas will take a real football genious.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: moses_007 on September 24, 2017, 06:30:59 am
You say this is a blatant lie?  I don't think so. 

We have a statue and a field named after the man. Will probably honor him in some form in the new NEZ. What else would you like us to do? Change street names? Re-bury him at mid field? Have his corpse on display for all to see in the new NEZ? Maybe have the team honor him before each game by rubbing his head like Howard's rock? What else do you want? Can we all live vicariously through your past?
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

moses_007

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on September 24, 2017, 06:44:39 am
We have a statue and a field named after the man. Will probably honor him in some form in the new NEZ. What else would you like us to do? Change street names? Re-bury him at mid field? Have his corpse on display for all to see in the new NEZ? Maybe have the team honor him before each game by rubbing his head like Howard's rock? What else do you want? Can we all live vicariously through your past?
This fan's statement that I posted has nothing to do with honoring Frank Broyles any further.  He was saying that Long and Beilema are dishonoring the pride and the passion that Broyles created in the program.  What the hell happened to Razorback Pride?  Why has it seemingly vanished into thin air?  I wish somebody could clue us in on why the program is in such a disarray.  We've lost 4 of the last 5 games.  Something is rotten in Fayettenam.

moses_007

Quote from: grassroothog on September 24, 2017, 06:37:48 am

When we hire the next HC, the PTB need to open the wallet and hire the biggest name in college footbal. Challenge them. Winning at Bama is easy. Building a winning football program at Arkansas will take a real football genious.
Yes, it will likely take a great offensive mind like Lou Holtz or Bobby Petrino to build a winning program here.  Hire Saban.  He's won NC's at two SEC schools, maybe he'd like to win a NC at a third SEC school.  Pay the man $10 million a year to get the job done.

Rzback

Quote from: grassroothog on September 24, 2017, 06:37:48 am
Yes. And that's very sad to me. I was 11 yrs old when I watched my first Razorback
game on tv. The 'big shootout'. And although I cried at the end , I became a Hog Fan that day. In those days the whole state was behind the Hogs. You could not stick your head outside and not see a 'GO HOGS BEAT TEXAS' sign. Today's youngsters have never experienced that atmosphere.
    When we hire the next HC, the PTB need to open the wallet and hire the biggest name in college football. Challenge them. Winning at Bama is easy. Building a winning football program at Arkansas will take a real football genius.
We had him but he blew it for a younger woman. Now he's got another team rolling. Not sure what other coach might be able to do more with less???
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

Hoggish1

Quote from: moses_007 on September 24, 2017, 06:58:52 am
Yes, it will likely take a great offensive mind like Lou Holtz or Bobby Petrino to build a winning program here.  Hire Saban.  He's won NC's at two SEC schools, maybe he'd like to win a NC at a third SEC school.  Pay the man $10 million a year to get the job done.

You have vented.  Do you feel better now? 

Everybody I know is sick of the misfortune that the team has gone through but I don't see anybody laying down because of it that wears the uniform.  Are you laying down as a fan?  I saw a lot of good yesterday and yes we go gashed for big plays again.  I think that will get fixed.  We have nine games left.  Your posts are saying:  LET'S MAKE IT WORSE.  I'm not willing to share in your pitty party.

What happened to the 10 years Nutts was here?  Do you remember that? And please just stop with the "savior is going to ride in here and save us routine."  We'll save ourselves even if it's not as fast as you'd like.

How about you and everyone else like you allowing nine more games to be played.  I think the players deserve that from the "fans."

Boardon Hamsay

September 24, 2017, 07:13:12 am #11 Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 07:31:56 am by Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head
Quote from: moses_007 on September 24, 2017, 06:49:09 am
This fan's statement that I posted has nothing to do with honoring Frank Broyles any further.  He was saying that Long and Beilema are dishonoring the pride and the passion that Broyles created in the program.  What the hell happened to Razorback Pride?  Why has it seemingly vanished into thin air?  I wish somebody could clue us in on why the program is in such a disarray.  We've lost 4 of the last 5 games.  Something is rotten in Fayettenam.

Define Razorback Pride. Wait, let me save you time. Part of your issue is that "Razorback Pride" has a subjective definition. Your definition will be different than another person's defintion. Similarly, what defines a "true Razorback fan" differs person to person. This isn't 1969 anymore.  To be really candid, romanticizing the nostalgia of teams, fans, atmospheres, etc. of the past are great things to remember because looking back is more idyllic, but expecting that same "pride and passion" as you call it, team, atmosphere, fan attitude, etc. is probably going to always be a losing battle for you. That's chasing nostalgia and hoping to replicate it with your expectations. Like it or not, things change. Generations change.

That's not a defense of the current staff for underperforming. Expecting 1964 or 1969 to waltz back in here is simply foolish.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

grassroothog

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on September 24, 2017, 07:13:12 am
Define Razorback Pride. Wait, let me save you time. Part of your issue is that "Razorback Pride" has a subjective definition. Your definition will be different than another person's defintion. Similarly, what defines a "true Razorback fan" differs person to person. This isn't 1969 anymore.  To be really candid, romanticizing the nostalgia of teams, fans, atmospheres, etc. of the past are great things to remember because looking back is more idyllic, but expecting that same "pride and passion" as you call it, team, atmosphere, fan attitude, etc. is probably going to always be a losing battle for you. That's chasing nostalgia and hoping to replicate it with your expectations. Like it or not, things change. Generations change.

That's not a defense of the current staff for underperforming. Expecting 1964 or 1969 to waltz back in here is simply foolish.

grassroothog

Quote from: grassroothog on September 24, 2017, 08:02:14 am

It's called hope. Foolish? Maybe. There is nothing wrong with remembering the good years and hoping for a return to them.

Poop Hoggy Hogg

To be frank(no pun intended), the pre-integration days are over, and we have over 120 Division 1-FBS schools now. I think that even Texas has accepted the fact the days of them being the pride of Texas are over. Hell, the longhorns are probably #3 or #4 just in their state now. Things change, generations are different, We just have to accept that, fit in and move forward.

mizzouman

So every coach that does win at very high level is dishonoring Broyles? 

DoctorSusscrofa

Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

TPS_Report

Given the proliferation of spread offenses, no-huddle, etc, it takes ELITE defensive talent to hold teams down these days.  Every defense gives up tons of yards with the exception of 3 or 4 teams.  The rules favor the offense and the new-fangled offensive schemes maximize that advantage.  Add to that the increasing focus on player safety (not that it's a bad thing) which hamstrings a defense even further by throttling back its aggressiveness.  We won't see the day of dominant defenses across the country again.  A&M will never field another Wrecking Crew.  Nebraska's Black Shirts are gone for good.  Only the Bamas of the world will be able to regularly suffocate opponents defensively.
I bleed maroon and I wipe burnt orange.

DoctorSusscrofa

We stopped playing 6 games against Rice, the old TCU, the old Baylor, the old Texas Tech, Tulsa, and the old Oklahoma State, etc.  Today eight of our opponents are better than our second best opponent back then. And two of them are as good or better than the best team we played then.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Captain Morgan

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on September 24, 2017, 08:31:22 am
We stopped playing 6 games against Rice, the old TCU, the old Baylor, the old Texas Tech, Tulsa, and the old Oklahoma State, etc.  Today eight of our opponents are better than our second best opponent back then. And two of them are as good or better than the best team we played then.

Now this is excuse garbage. The SEC west is the weakest it's been in the BCS/College playoff era and we still can't win! There is no excuse in 2017 for Arkansas to finish any lower than 3rd in a weak SEC west. It's pathetic it's sad and the uniforms looking like Oh10 $tate made it even more embarrassing

HognotinMemphis

Im glad Broyles did not have to witness TCU game and this game yesterday.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hawgdavis

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 24, 2017, 07:11:12 am

Everybody I know is sick of the misfortune that the team has gone through but I don't see anybody laying down because of it that wears the uniform.  Are you laying down as a fan?  I saw a lot of good yesterday and yes we go gashed for big plays again.  I think that will get fixed.  We have nine games left.  Your posts are saying:  LET'S MAKE IT WORSE.  I'm not willing to share in your pitty party.

What happened to the 10 years Nutts was here?  Do you remember that? And please just stop with the "savior is going to ride in here and save us routine."  We'll save ourselves even if it's not as fast as you'd like.

How about you and everyone else like you allowing nine more games to be played.  I think the players deserve that from the "fans."

I hope we win them all. I have wanted every coach we have ever had in my lifetime to succeed but I'm like many others here that feel like winning is no longer important to the folks in charge as long as we don't have anyone get out of line and the money keeps coming in. It seems like the folks in charge don't think we can win on a high level so why try. That is a loser mentality and I'm sick of it. It can be done and if the current administration can't get it done the make changes and find folks that will. This is what people are talking about when referring to FB , cause he got it done which the same set of so called disadvantages.

hawgdavis

I hope we win them all. I have wanted every coach we have ever had in my lifetime to succeed but I'm like many others here that feel like winning is no longer important to the folks in charge as long as we don't have anyone get out of line and the money keeps coming in. It seems like the folks in charge don't think we can win on a high level so why try. That is a loser mentality and I'm sick of it. It can be done and if the current administration can't get it done the make changes and find folks that will. This is what people are talking about when referring to FB , cause he got it done which the same set of so called disadvantages.

buldozer

Looks like Wisky fans agree with you:
http://dailycaller.com/2017/09/23/watching-bret-bielema-and-arkansas-lose-was-everything-i-hoped-it-would-be/

IronHog

Quote from: TPS_Report on September 24, 2017, 08:30:16 am
Given the proliferation of spread offenses, no-huddle, etc, it takes ELITE defensive talent to hold teams down these days.  Every defense gives up tons of yards with the exception of 3 or 4 teams.  The rules favor the offense and the new-fangled offensive schemes maximize that advantage.  Add to that the increasing focus on player safety (not that it's a bad thing) which hamstrings a defense even further by throttling back its aggressiveness.  We won't see the day of dominant defenses across the country again.  A&M will never field another Wrecking Crew.  Nebraska's Black Shirts are gone for good.  Only the Bamas of the world will be able to regularly suffocate opponents defensively.

TURNOVERS

Who cares how many yards or points you give as long as you score more.

It's all about turnovers.  That's the reason TCU game was close till end
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Aw shucks, Guys.  I read a lot on here and mostly, not totally, the posters here do not rag on the players.  I believe our players have more talent across the board than the coaching can bring out or utilize.  When anyone says, we need to recruit better, that is a backhanded blow to the players and nearly everyone says that. 

Also, it is common practice to refer to the better days to produce a picture of what is now.  When anyone starts a sentence with When I was growing up, or Just yesterday, Gas was 20 cents per gallon cheaper or we once a President with class, etc..  It is and will always be a comparing process.

Hoggish1 brings up Nutt trying to make his point.  That only makes the point worse.  Nutt, as bad as I feel he was, could out produce this current HC in the win column.  At some point, the University likely owes those players who came here to play football and get better and maximise their potential, the real chance to do so.  I would also add that everyone who gets mad and flies off the handle, usually comes back when they cool.  Think Wilsonhog last year. 
                                                                                                                        In addition, to try and deny past history, even old past history is like taking an old man and asking him to just forget and never compare that great vacation his family had back in 1965, where they had saved for a years to be able to go the Disney Land in California and watch the gleam in their Kid eyes getting to see only what they had viewed on an old black and white TV from antenna.  How they had to drive straight through as they only had money for the planned 3 nights Motel in California and how Mom cooked up enough food to carry them the first 2 days of the trip and the Kidos slept in the car both ways while Mom and Dad didn't sleep.  Yep, the old man might have tears in his eyes telling about that wonderful trip that today, no one would even consider trying.  Well, that is how some of us feel about the Razorback good old days.  The old Razorbacks are to some of us as that old ugly table you keep sitting in the otherwise new furniture living room.  That damn table was our first dining table, then the Kids got their homework there, and one Kid tore his head open on it trying to go under it on his tricycle and then it set in the storage building for 20 years before Mom and I decided it needed to be the centerpiece of the living room in the new home we finally built after raising 6 Kids, the same Kids who we had wonderful vacation with back in 65. 

Inhogswetrust

Oh really? What part of the bolded below do you not think is disrespectful of how Frank has been honored. You lied yet won't admit it.

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Boardon Hamsay

1highhog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 24, 2017, 07:11:12 am

I was firmly behind this coaching staff at the start of the season, but I've finally got my head out of the sand and seen the reality that CBB is not the coach I thought he would be to get this team to where it needed to be in year 5.  You're going to give it 9 more games are you?  I can tell you right now that you're going to be either very disappointed in the final season record or either you just like excepting mediocrity.

LZH

hogcard1964

Quote from: LZH on September 24, 2017, 12:02:52 pm
Bret's gone.....Long?.....we'll see.

Get em both out!  Long caused this mess!!!

hog47

Absolutely! Think about it people. We have lost the last 2 games last year we should never have never lost. Then pick up this year  where we left off last year except we look lost, with a lack of purpose. The same thing that we lacked in the second half of those losses now exists for the whole game now. For a brief moment yesterday at the beginning of the game it looked like we turned the corner. But, no. What what's wrong with this team/program reared it's ugly head again and we could see the purpose and determination just leave this team. I'm not with the team and can't experience or understand what's going on ,but its obvious that this team has major problems in many areas. Ask yourself how does a team that's leading by a wide margin at half look totally lost and can't even score in the second??? I see this going on now. In my opinion the problem lies with the coaches who lead and provide the necessary tools to win. I have played and coached this game and in my humble opinion when things like this happen its always lies with leadership.

DOGALUM

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

seasonhog

You are so right........on the money......

SPAL

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 24, 2017, 12:21:56 pm
Get em both out!  Long caused this mess!!!

Not really. Most everybody, including the majority if this board thought long was a genius by getting CBB after petrino. What he did wrong was giving him a huge buyout after beating a bad Texas team. It's easy to look back and say the hire was a failure because it hasn't worked out. But basketball is thriving, baseball is likely tearing up for a title run. Grades are good across the board. Long isn't the problem.

I will say his success or failure will be what he does with the next hire.

IronHog

🙄
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 24, 2017, 10:01:03 am
Im glad Broyles did not have to witness TCU game and this game yesterday.
Bc you think those would be the worst he has seen?  The man was involved through many losses much worse than those.

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 24, 2017, 11:45:01 am
Oh really? What part of the bolded below do you not think is disrespectful of how Frank has been honored. You lied yet won't admit it.

Do you really not know the difference between honoring Frank and honoring Frank's passion??
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: 12247 on September 24, 2017, 11:37:04 am
Aw shucks, Guys.  I read a lot on here and mostly, not totally, the posters here do not rag on the players.  I believe our players have more talent across the board than the coaching can bring out or utilize.  When anyone says, we need to recruit better, that is a backhanded blow to the players and nearly everyone says that. 

Also, it is common practice to refer to the better days to produce a picture of what is now.  When anyone starts a sentence with When I was growing up, or Just yesterday, Gas was 20 cents per gallon cheaper or we once a President with class, etc..  It is and will always be a comparing process.

Hoggish1 brings up Nutt trying to make his point.  That only makes the point worse.  Nutt, as bad as I feel he was, could out produce this current HC in the win column.  At some point, the University likely owes those players who came here to play football and get better and maximise their potential, the real chance to do so.  I would also add that everyone who gets mad and flies off the handle, usually comes back when they cool.  Think Wilsonhog last year. 
                                                                                                                        In addition, to try and deny past history, even old past history is like taking an old man and asking him to just forget and never compare that great vacation his family had back in 1965, where they had saved for a years to be able to go the Disney Land in California and watch the gleam in their Kid eyes getting to see only what they had viewed on an old black and white TV from antenna.  How they had to drive straight through as they only had money for the planned 3 nights Motel in California and how Mom cooked up enough food to carry them the first 2 days of the trip and the Kidos slept in the car both ways while Mom and Dad didn't sleep.  Yep, the old man might have tears in his eyes telling about that wonderful trip that today, no one would even consider trying.  Well, that is how some of us feel about the Razorback good old days.  The old Razorbacks are to some of us as that old ugly table you keep sitting in the otherwise new furniture living room.  That damn table was our first dining table, then the Kids got their homework there, and one Kid tore his head open on it trying to go under it on his tricycle and then it set in the storage building for 20 years before Mom and I decided it needed to be the centerpiece of the living room in the new home we finally built after raising 6 Kids, the same Kids who we had wonderful vacation with back in 65. 
Thank you.

hogfanincajunland

QuoteHire Saban.  He's won NC's at two SEC schools, maybe he'd like to win a NC at a third SEC school.  Pay the man $10 million a year to get the job done.

I'm not convinced Saban would have the success that he's had at Bama anywhere else in the SEC. We don't need a defensive mind anyway. We need a offensive guru. Even if Saban was the answer, why would he take a pay cut to come to Arkansas and have to work twice as hard as he does now. His salary is already over 11 mil.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on September 24, 2017, 12:48:11 pm
Not really. Most everybody, including the majority if this board thought long was a genius by getting CBB after petrino. What he did wrong was giving him a huge buyout after beating a bad Texas team. It's easy to look back and say the hire was a failure because it hasn't worked out. But basketball is thriving, baseball is likely tearing up for a title run. Grades are good across the board. Long isn't the problem.

I will say his success or failure will be what he does with the next hire.

People who knew anything about BB were not excited with the hire
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

walrus

Danimal

Quote from: moses_007 on September 24, 2017, 06:58:52 am
We won't get a "big name heavy hitter" coach hired here. A successful hire will have to be exactly what Broyles himself was -- a brilliant and highly motivated up-n-comer who has the drive and charisma to build more with less (and then maintain it). The next hire will require a lot of research and as much luck. Whether we have anyone in charge capable of making that type of hire is another matter.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 24, 2017, 12:54:15 pm
Bc you think those would be the worst he has seen?  The man was involved through many losses much worse than those.
No, not because of that.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Poop Hoggy Hogg on September 24, 2017, 08:18:14 am
To be frank(no pun intended), the pre-integration days are over, and we have over 120 Division 1-FBS schools now. I think that even Texas has accepted the fact the days of them being the pride of Texas are over. Hell, the longhorns are probably #3 or #4 just in their state now. Things change, generations are different, We just have to accept that, fit in and move forward.

Pretty much.  Except accepting it.  It may always prove futile, but we should never stop trying to break free from the our lowly station.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Danimal on September 24, 2017, 01:34:07 pm
We won't get a "big name heavy hitter" coach hired here. A successful hire will have to be exactly what Broyles himself was -- a brilliant and highly motivated up-n-comer who has the drive and charisma to build more with less (and then maintain it). The next hire will require a lot of research and as much luck. Whether we have anyone in charge capable of making that type of hire is another matter.

Yup.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Inhogswetrust

September 24, 2017, 07:10:27 pm #46 Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 09:05:37 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: GuvHog on September 24, 2017, 12:57:08 pm
Do you really not know the difference between honoring Frank and honoring Frank's passion??

Do you really not know that his passion is one of the reasons he was able to be honored? NOBODY gets to the level he did without passion.

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Etowah

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on September 24, 2017, 08:31:22 am

Been a fan since the 60's, but this is the truth.

Hard for us old folks, but life ain't what it was in the 50's and 60's.  Before football in the south was integrated.

SWC was the weakest conference and we also played Tulsa and Wichita State in the non con pretty much every year.  We started the season with 8 wins in a 11 game season.  Had to be terrible to not win at least 8.

moses_007

September 25, 2017, 02:05:18 am #49 Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 02:18:12 am by moses_007
Most years it was Oklahoma State and Tulsa... not Wichita State.  For years, Arkansas opened the season against Okie State in Little Rock.